Professional Super Smash Bros. Player Hyuga and Molestation Allegations

Jiac

On July 16th, 2016, professional Smash 4 player "Hyuga" molested a female caster, streamer and player known as "VikkiKitty."

Prior to the incident, Hyuga was attending the international fighting game tournament known as "EVO" (or Evolution) located in Las Vegas, Nevada only to place 25th. After the tournament, it was reported that Hyuga was heavily intoxicated late at night. Due to this, DJ Jack (another player and boyfriend of VikkiKitty), invites Hyuga into their hotel room to stay over the night. They did this so Hyuga doesn't wander around Las Vegas incredibly late at night whilst under the influence.

Apparently Hyuga was so drunk, that he both lost self-control and doesn't remember anything about the incident.

Over the night, when everyone was asleep, Hyuga slipped in between VikkiKitty and DJ Jack to put his hands up VikkiKitty's shirt and down her pants. This wakes her up at night and she tells Hyuga in Spanish "To leave her alone and get back on the floor to sleep." Due to how drunk he was during the situation, he doesn't get off her until another person notices and takes action. This person, known as Stefan tells VikkiKitty to move beds to where he was sleeping. 15 minutes pass and Hyuga goes to the other bed only to sexually assault VikkiKitty again, but this time a different Smasher known as Nick Riddle decides to kick him out of the room due to his harassment.

This information is known due to a tweet made by VikkiKitty. She claims in her tweet that the purpose of the tweet was NOT to spread drama and controversy, rather to spread awareness that issues such as this to rise up and for preventative measures for future potential incidents. She has also reported filing a police report about it, but refuses to press charges.

The aftermath of the incident resulted in many things. The E-Sports organization VGBC (or Video Game Boot Camp) dropped Hyuga as one of their sponsored players and the Smash 4 Community Leaders issuing a 1-year ban at tourneys for his actions.

This led to extremely large amounts of controversy within the community. Esam, a top Smash 4 player, and one of the best Pikachu players, blew up on the matter over Twitter calling him a "dumpster rapist" and tell him to "get out of the community forever." Nick Riddle also took the matter to Twitter and inappropriately leaked private conversations of Hyuga apologizing and defending himself to them.

Lastly, Hyuga has officially stated that he doesn't remember the situation at all, he was incredibly drunk, however, he states that it is not an excuse for his actions. He wants to keep playing in the US, but due to the police report that appears unlikely too. Furthermore, he attempted to contact Vikki and DJ Jack to express his apologies, but there is no confirmation whether or not he has gotten a hold of them. He did not rule out the possibility he has molested VikkiKitty and has accepted that proper punishment is reasonable.

EDIT Hyuga version of the story summarized and paraphrased:

Hyuga was at a pool party, chilling and drinking with many US players. Everything was alright until the party ended. After the party, DJ Jack invites Hyuga into his hotel room where several SoCal players were staying and drinking. When Hyuga arrives to the hotel room, he gets offered some shots, and he accepts them. He also remembers playing a little bit too (likely Smash but he just says "played a bit"). After playing, Hyuga, DJ Jack, and Vikki go out of the room to buy him another bottle of alcohol to drink. He returns to the room to continue playing and drinking to the point he blacks out and doesn't remember anything that happens. When he wakes up, he wakes up to Nick Riddle telling him "you gotta go." Hyuga assumed it was already close to sunrise/morning time being the reason Nick Riddle told him to leave. He got up and asked Nick Riddle to help him find his backpack, his passport, and his visa, which Nick Riddle assisted him in finding. But in the end, they couldn't find his belongings, so he asks "them" if "they" could give it to him later, and "they" reply yes. (I don't know who "them" or "they" are we can assume it's Nick Riddle and everyone in the room during the incident) He leaves the hotel, and takes a taxi to bring him to the hotel he was staying. Upon arriving to his own hotel room he falls asleep. Hours later when he wakes up, the entire incident explodes. Confused and realizing what has happened, Hyuga tries to contact DJ Jack and Nick Riddle to tell them he has no memory of the incident whatsoever, and wants to communicate with them to understand the situation. He is unsuccessful because they decided to block him on Twitter, therefore cannot communicate with them at all.

Source: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sott9h

Hyuga is a high-profile Mexican Smash 4 player, who is currently widely considered one of the best, if not the best Toon LInk main of 2015-2016. Other notable things include, being one of the best Super Smash Bros. Brawl Toon Link mains in the world and being ranked at #2 in the Mexican Smash 4 Power Rankings behind Leo.

I'd like to bring this up for discussion due to several topics it brings up.

1. I feel the Smash Community has handled this situation in an incredibly inappropriate manner. Prior to the official statement by top Smash 4 Community Members.

Upon the revelation of this issue, Hyuga has received a lot of negative comments towards him, that were incredibly unwarranted. Obviously, molesting someone is even worse, however, it is out of place to say that he should "get out of the community forever". Hyuga has dedicated a large portion of time in contributing to the Smash Community and to its meta. For a first-time action and no history of incidents, this should not exile him from the community. A more reasonable course of action is to be given the time to redeem his respect from others, as he did not commit a more serious crime in rape. If he gains respect and another incident arises, it is now more necessary for more harsher punishments. Furthermore, his intentions weren't of malicious action, this happened due to his irresponsibility and negligence to keep aware of how much alcohol he was drinking. In fact, rather than justifying his actions he decided to explain his actions, showing that his intention was not to grope VikkiKitty. It is very inappropriate for people to give such undeserving on him in such a negative and unforgiving way such as: "He deserves any punishment that is suggested." "I hope he stays rejected from the community and loses a lot of his friends." "Nobody should show a shred of sympathy for Hyuga." Since he has already expressed his apologies and is also facing potential legal and social troubles.

2. Gaming community and safety.

This incident arises several red-flags too. Is it justified at all to allow Hyuga back into the Smash community because he is now a deterring player due to his previous actions? When people within the community are now aware of his actions and play against him, they feel uncomfortable or not want to play at all because of his presence. Players can feel less safe within this environment. In general, this affects the gaming community as incidents of sexual harassment/abuse/assault can occur within our community. This can happen to anybody of any gender.

Edited by ~Summer~

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Hyuga's actions suck? Yes, and I hope that he drinks responsibly.

However, I think that VikkiKitty's responsible for the ensuing shitstorm. IMO this should've been handled privately (justice system and possibly tournament organizers) before being made public.

Well, I can understand why there will likely be a very vocal group pressing for his exile due to the simple fact that it sends a clear message discouraging such behavior and not doing so may indeed make female players feel disregarded or in extreme cases unsafe.

Not sure how much sympathy I should really give him because there's plenty of gamers who get drunk and don't molest girls while in their drunken stupor.

EDIT: Probably should mention I have personal experience with drunk guy "I don't remember" molestation and I'm probably not the most unbiased party in this discussion.

Edited by Crysta

...can I add my two cents? As an outside individual here...?

While I may agree it likely could have been handled in a much more professional and helpful manner... I guess it depends on your personal understandings of what constitutes rape.

...is molestation somehow not rape? Rape in my mind is nonconsensual sexual acts regardless of penetration or exchange or no exhange of bodily fluids.

To be quite blunt. It was an act of rape. Does being intoxicated and not remembering make it somehow... not that?

An act of rape was committed which is a serious criminal act, its easy to want to absolve a beloved individual... and believe the best. But "I do not recall," "I was drunk," is not something that is seen as an acceptable defense for criminal actions. Especially when said claims are difficult if not impossible to verify, and appear as highly convenient.

Edited by ErrantShepherd

While I do think Hyuga was wrong, and he needs to take responsibility for his actions I agree with eclipse, this whole matter should have been dealt privatly.

There was no need to reveal to this to public until everything was cleared up,

I don't think it being revealed sooner rather than later really makes that much of a difference; the story would have been blown up anyway given it is a high-ranking player with presumably a high profile. It also doesn't sound... very complicated. Verifying the story isn't difficult because there was two witnesses.

Molestation alone isn't rape according to the law as far as I know.

Edited by Crysta

While I may agree it likely could have been handled in a much more professional and helpful manner... I guess it depends on your personal understandings of what constitutes rape.

...is molestation somehow not rape? Rape in my mind is nonconsensual sexual acts regardless of penetration or exchange or no exhange of bodily fluids.

To be quite blunt. It was an act of rape. Does being intoxicated and not remembering make it somehow... not that?

An act of rape was committed which is a serious criminal act, its easy to want to absolve a beloved individual... and believe the best. But "I do not recall," "I was drunk," is not something that is seen as an acceptable defense for criminal actions. Especially when said claims are difficult if not impossible to verify, and appear as highly convenient.

Under your definition, stealing a kiss would be considered rape. However, whatever happened there, being intoxicated should not be a deterrent against legal action.

Edited by tuvarkz

It's open and shut. He molested a woman. Being drunk does not excuse any of his actions, and expressing regret does not mean it was not his "intention" to molest her. It was very much his intention, his hand didn't find its way into her pants twice on accident. Most people who black out drunk do not sexually assault other people. Alcohol is not an excuse. He should definitely be banned from community events, and even more so because it was a fellow player. This has precedent, too. People have been banned for this sort of thing in the past. It's honestly not very complicated.

Under your definition, stealing a kiss would be considered rape. However, whatever happened there, being intoxicated should not be a deterrent against legal action.

He did expressly say "sexual acts." If you consider kissing one of those, maybe you should ask your parents before using the internet.

Edited by six second schlocker

Errant

The term you are lookin for is Sexual Assault or Sexual Harassment, not Rape.

I'm 100% for the banishment of Hyuga. He got drunk, on his own accord, and he needs to be held responsible for his actions, aware of them "or not". I'm sure if he was so so so sorry, he wouldn't have jumped into Bed#2 and done this a second time while inebriated.

Hell, I even am supportive of the public judgment of the guy. He and the Smash community are not supportive of unwanted sexual acts during their events, and a slap on the wrist with a bunch of "eh it's ok" warming messages from pals and fans is not going to convey the message. What hyuga did here was a huge mistake and he is lucky that no charges are being pressed.

Edited by Elieson

It should have been dealt with privately without making a huge fuss (you're seriously not expecting this to blow up in your face Vikki? You're fate is in Anna's hands now. May the RNG favor you). With that said, he should suffer the full-on legal repercussions and I hope his sponsors would at least punish him...

But I'm not sure if he should be banned from the tourney. At least because of this charge.

Many people will commit crimes as they mature and grow older. Some will be harmless some will be great. It's important to bring the hammer down right. Not allowing a pedo in would be... understandable... but do we really want to send a message of 'if you've ever groped someone, even under the influence, you're not welcome in gaming'? I'm not so certain.

Rape is a very serious crime. Molestation, while not as 'bad', is still something that is disgusting and needs proper discipline. However, there is a big difference between grabbing a womans boobs while drunk and attempting to rape her. The difference between a campfire and a forest fire.

With that said, upon re-reading this with the sleep goggles a bit more lifted, hands down pants. Bad touch. While we can debate the proper recourse for grabbing boobs while drunk this is way over the line. Ban the sucker.

Dealt with badly? Really? That's the excuse?

I've pissed on a cop car while drunk. Does being drunk mean that I shouldn't spend the night in jail? No.

Sexual assault is a criminal offense and no amount of alcohol can excuse that. But you're all going to say that "the community handled it badly"? If I was part of that community, I'd be calling for a court case because forcing yourself onto another person in any way is not acceptable. See my opinions of Jian Ghomeshi for more.

And this is to both Snowy and Eclipse. Explain to me what this girl did wrong. Publically report CRIMINAL activity? Why is she guilty of taking any heat after someone tried to force himself on her?

What he did was inexcusable, if true, (I hate making judgements in these cases until I know all the details, but that's another debate.) but what he did was sexual harassment/assault, not rape. If what happened to her is the definition of rape, I've been raped. But if we expand the definition to cover incidents like this, it lessens the actual incidents of full-blown rape. Rape does not need to involve vaginal, anal, or oral penetration, but I think groping isn't quite at that level. It's a gray area to be sure. I've been groped similarly to the above situation, but got myself away before it got any further. It also involved alcohol, on the perpetrator's behalf. It was during a trip to France, with people drinking more wine than they really should have. I've moved on from it, and hardly ever think about it anymore, but if it had gone farther, I think it might have had more of a psychological impact. Although, I've never liked going to large social events, anyway.

There's also female on male rape, which should be considered just as bad, but is often ignored.

Did Hyuga's actions suck? Yes, and I hope that he drinks responsibly.

However, I think that VikkiKitty's responsible for the ensuing shitstorm. IMO this should've been handled privately (justice system and possibly tournament organizers) before being made public.

If she was going to make it public, she should have pressed charges. If she's not going to press charges, she shouldn't have put him before the "court of public opinion". I think it would have been best to have the organizers try to handle this, first.

Edited by Rezzy

And this is to both Snowy and Eclipse. Explain to me what this girl did wrong. Publically report CRIMINAL activity? Why is she guilty of taking any heat after someone tried to force himself on her?

Opens her ass up for a libel suit, if he wanted to be a dick. Yes, Hyuga would lose, but in the process, he'd force her and everyone else to relive that night.

She did the first step right, and that was reporting it to the police. Second step should've been talking to a therapist, so she'd have her head on straight. Third would be to a lawyer, especially if she wanted to expose herself like this.

Or have you forgotten Gamergate already?

Dealt with badly? Really? That's the excuse?

I've pissed on a cop car while drunk. Does being drunk mean that I shouldn't spend the night in jail? No.

Sexual assault is a criminal offense and no amount of alcohol can excuse that. But you're all going to say that "the community handled it badly"? If I was part of that community, I'd be calling for a court case because forcing yourself onto another person in any way is not acceptable. See my opinions of Jian Ghomeshi for more.

My point being is that being drunk is definitely a factor. His actions are inexcusable and he got the proper punishment (potentially even lenient being a 1 year ban). However, I do believe how the community reacted to the situation was poor, pretty much attempting a "witch hunt" for his head only hearing Vikki's side of the story.

Edited by ~Summer~

My point being is that being drunk is definitely a factor. His actions are inexcusable and he got the proper punishment (potentially even lenient being a 1 year ban). However, I do believe how the community reacted to the situation was poor, pretty much attempting a "witch hunt" for his head only hearing Vikki's side of the story.

There is only one side of a story to hear in a case of sexual crimes. To give any credence to the sex offender trivializes what is always a very serious crime. Honestly, his defense didn't work for the Vanderbilt American Football players, so why would it work for him. She didn't press charges, so the worst he faces is the ban, when the Vanderbilt players face decades in a state prison. He should take flak and be lucky he isn't going to end up in a Las Vegas jail.

Out of curiosity, have the other involved people made statements confirming what VikkiKitty said? It would be rather suspicious for all the others that were witness to the sexual assault to not have confirmed that it happened.

This is sexual assault.

I really can't stress that enough. It is a CRIMINAL offense and nothing excuses it. Alcohol least of all.

Boo hoo, he got banned from playing a video game that maybe a couple thousand people in the world take seriously. There are other people who go to prison over the same crime.

EDIT: Actually, I want to clarify something with regards to alcohol because I think a lot of people don't realize.

First of all, I understand that a lot of people don't drink alcoholic beverages here, on account for a lot of users being under-age or generally not liking it.

Me, I have been drinking alcohol since the age of 13 (under the supervision of my parents before legal age). I'm not bragging, I simply grew up in a household where my father would watch football with a glass of scotch and both my parents are very easygoing regarding drugs (which alcohol is). In addition, I work in Tel Aviv nightlife (for the past two and a half years) and drink alcohol almost every day. I can say with confidence that I am not an alcoholic because I do not require alcohol in order to function (I am a smoker so I do know what an addiction is).

Point being is that I know a lot about drinking.

Now, a lot of teotalers (probably mispelled that) have this unfounded notion that alcohol turns a person into a different person. That is incorrect. Alcohol impairs your judgment but it will never force you to do something that you have not considered doing sobor. The only differenece is that you can apply critical reasoning when you are sobor and understand why said idea is bad. Much less so with alcohol in your system.

In any regard, this dude wanted to sleep with this girl. With alcohol in his system, he believed that she wanted to sleep with him too and any sexual acts would be reciprocated. And that is sexual assault when he acted upon it.

He should be ashamed and more. He deserves to be convicted in the court of public opinion because a legal body would also find him guilty.

And furthermore, I firmly believe that this girl has not done anything wrong. A sexual predator does not need to have his feelings looked after. He lost that right when he started groping her.

Edited by Pharoahe Monch

Out of curiosity, have the other involved people made statements confirming what VikkiKitty said? It would be rather suspicious for all the others that were witness to the sexual assault to not have confirmed that it happened.

There were three other people in the room with her, and all gave the same story. One of them kicked Hyuga out of the room for kt. I'm pretty sure it was one of them that went public first, actually.

Nick Riddle at least dumped a conversation with him afterwards, so I would assume they would confirm.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/evo-2016-super-smash-bros-pro-gamer-accused-sexual-assault-marquee-esports-event-1571140

However, I do believe how the community reacted to the situation was poor, pretty much attempting a "witch hunt" for his head only hearing Vikki's side of the story.

It isn't really a witch-hunt if everyone in the room confirmed if the above post is true. Yeah, I'll agree, posting "you fucking rapist" isn't exactly constructive, but neither is throwing out accusations of lying or ulterior motives without any cause on the other party. Edited by Tryhard

There is only one side of a story to hear in a case of sexual crimes. To give any credence to the sex offender trivializes what is always a very serious crime. Honestly, his defense didn't work for the Vanderbilt American Football players, so why would it work for him. She didn't press charges, so the worst he faces is the ban, when the Vanderbilt players face decades in a state prison. He should take flak and be lucky he isn't going to end up in a Las Vegas jail.

There's always a second side to hear. And it sounds like this case is legit from what we've been told, that is for the court of law to decide. (Or is should be.) False accusations can and do happen. There was the Duke Lacrosse scandal, where a girl falsely accused a few players of rape, and it ruined their lives, even though they were innocent. The allegations should be taken very seriously, but not turn into a "Guilty until proven innocent" sort of system.

I would think so, since there were so many witnesses, but like I said, I hate making a decision, until I know all the details.

This is sexual assault.

I really can't stress that enough. It is a CRIMINAL offense and nothing excuses it. Alcohol least of all.

Boo hoo, he got banned from playing a video game that maybe a couple thousand people in the world take seriously. There are other people who go to prison over the same crime.

EDIT: Actually, I want to clarify something with regards to alcohol because I think a lot of people don't realize.

First of all, I understand that a lot of people don't drink alcoholic beverages here, on account for a lot of users being under-age or generally not liking it.

Me, I have been drinking alcohol since the age of 13 (under the supervision of my parents before legal age). I'm not bragging, I simply grew up in a household where my father would watch football with a glass of scotch and both my parents are very easygoing regarding drugs (which alcohol is). In addition, I work in Tel Aviv nightlife (for the past two and a half years) and drink alcohol almost every day. I can say with confidence that I am not an alcoholic because I do not require alcohol in order to function (I am a smoker so I do know what an addiction is).

Point being is that I know a lot about drinking.

Now, a lot of teotalers (probably mispelled that) have this unfounded notion that alcohol turns a person into a different person. That is incorrect. Alcohol impairs your judgment but it will never force you to do something that you have not considered doing sobor. The only differenece is that you can apply critical reasoning when you are sobor and understand why said idea is bad. Much less so with alcohol in your system.

In any regard, this dude wanted to sleep with this girl. With alcohol in his system, he believed that she wanted to sleep with him too and any sexual acts would be reciprocated. And that is sexual assault when he acted upon it.

He should be ashamed and more. He deserves to be convicted in the court of public opinion because a legal body would also find him guilty.

And furthermore, I firmly believe that this girl has not done anything wrong. A sexual predator does not need to have his feelings looked after. He lost that right when he started groping her.

It's true that alcohol doesn't make you a completely different person, but saying it doesn't make you do something you didn't want to do anyway is painting with a broad brush. It can make people do things they'd never consider sober. I have a male friend who is 100% gay while sober, however, when he's drunk, he starts hitting on girls. My mother is/was an alcoholic who turned truly nasty at times when she was drunk. We all have urges and thoughts, that is we acted upon them, would be reprehensible. Who here hasn't ever really just wanted to punch someone or had sexual fantasies about people they knew? Most people don't act upon them even when drunk, or know when to stop drinking.

People generally become more sexually receptive/aggressive while drunk, and it's hard to say that getting drunk just unmasked his inner rapist, but that's where personal responsibility comes in. One should know how it affects their system, because ultimately, they are still responsible for their actions.

Nick Riddle at least dumped a conversation with him afterwards, so I would assume they would confirm.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/evo-2016-super-smash-bros-pro-gamer-accused-sexual-assault-marquee-esports-event-1571140

It sounds like she's handling it pretty well. My advice to her is what she's doing. Don't let it be something you dwell on. Move on and don't let yourself think of yourself as a victim.

Edited by Rezzy

I'm sorry but as others have said, "I'm drunk" just doesn't cut it.

I've been literally shitfaced on alcohol hundreds of times but that doesn't make me completely lose memory or act like that, drunk or sober what he did is just as bad and people have been forced out of communities for much less. It would be in his best interest to stay quiet and disappear from anything Smash related.

I'm sorry but as others have said, "I'm drunk" just doesn't cut it.

I've been literally shitfaced on alcohol hundreds of times but that doesn't make me completely lose memory or act like that, drunk or sober what he did is just as bad and people have been forced out of communities for much less. It would be in his best interest to stay quiet and disappear from anything Smash related.

I'm not sure if that was directed at me. I agree; it goes with the adage of "Drink Responsibly". Alcohol affects everyone differently, and you should know how it affects you before putting yourself in a situation where you may cross the line.