神聖魔法 = Heal

捕縛 = Capture

アイテム = Item

交換 = Trade

使用 = Use

下馬 = Dismount

会話 = Talk

終了 = Wait

This is from some work I was doing with Banzai, although we weren't able to get the kanji for all of the commands. I guess I should take a look at one of those places to complete the list.

Regardless, this may make for a convenient reference place for most of the common commands. There are a shitload more for skills and stuff, but since those are character-specific and often situation-specific, they tend to not be too difficult to learn. I can post them if necessary as well, though.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What emulator should one choose to play Berwick Saga? Sylvia's artwork is so hot and she has a good reputation as a PC character so I've decided I want to try it. Other factors also outweigh that she's limited herself to a rather trashy, inefficient weapon type.

I can already tell locating the ROM will be far from simple, though.

What emulator should one choose to play Berwick Saga? Sylvia's artwork is so hot and she has a good reputation as a PC character so I've decided I want to try it. Other factors also outweigh that she's limited herself to a rather trashy, inefficient weapon type.

I can already tell locating the ROM will be far from simple, though.

I used pcsx2.

And as I said earlier, don't expect bows to be the trash they usually are. They're at least as good as melee weapons here, especially when paired with crossbows.

Hmph........the most I can dig up so far is a bittorrent link which is agonizingly slow. There's also an advanced download site I have to register for with a fee first, but I'm kinda strapped for cash atm.

I think Othin's more qualified to compose a tier list and sound off on characters than this other guy.......he clearly knows the the gameplay mechanics inside out and his wiki on this game looks more extensive/informative than maybe all the FE installment pages on here.

I didn't have any trouble finding something workable for free. Try something different?

My name being on the Berwick Saga section here doesn't mean everything. YayMarsha has been playing Berwick Saga for much longer than I have, and he's completed it four or five times; I haven't completed my second playthrough. His videos were a huge help to me with getting started with Berwick Saga, and he helped out quite a bit with figuring out info for the pages I assembled. It's also worth noting that for a vast majority of the info, I simply translated it and transcribed it from the other sites credited, and many of my translations were pretty bad. I've been meaning to fix them, but haven't gotten around to it.

So no, YayMarsha is not just some "other guy". He has much more practical experience with what works and what doesn't in this game, and most of his points are sound, forming a great additional perspective to a tier list I threw together in a matter of minutes.

I wrote up a response, but I never got around to posting it. The only points he made that I really take issue with are Burrows and Sene, and I suppose I may as well explain those now.

Barrows: Needs to be listed twice for trick/non-trick versions. The latter makes sense to be quite low, but if you list Paramythis so high with her terrible availability, trick Barrows probably needs to be higher up. For 14 alone, since his 15 performance is a lot weaker if you're not taking it slow.

Sene: I strongly disagree with this placement. She's much better than Sety (Tico!) and is definitely the best choice for wounding enemies for capture. And since capturing is really useful in this game, putting her this low makes no sense. I know Sedy can also use the Bolt Knife pretty well, but he can't move as far, lacks re-move (!), and even costs you some money. It also doesn't help that you never need to deploy him for recruitment, so he can't even use happiness as an excuse to do something.

Burrows: His main issue is limited weapons keeping him from being used too much, combined with his serious terrain issues. He can move fast enough when there's a road available for him to move his full 2-3 hexes per turn, but when there are no roads around, he's not going much of anywhere. It gets even worse in chapters like 12 where he just can't cross beyond a certain point on the map.

As for the movement trick, I don't think it warrants a separate tier placement. See, I used Burrows in the Final on my one playthrough completed so far, and for some reason, he wound up getting hit by the boss's Berserk. I didn't have time to heal him that turn, so he got a chance to attack my characters, at which he promptly used the movement trick himself. I don't know what's with the enemy Ballisticians' AI that they won't use the trick, but if the trick is legitimate enough that Burrows has AI that will make him use it while Berserk, I'd say the trick is legitimate enough to always be permissible.

Sene: Problem is, she doesn't get a horse until she hits LV10 to promote. And when she needs special weapons to reliably hit for more than a single point of damage, getting her kills to level her up is a serious issue. I don't know what Exp magic you used to get her those levels, but when I tried to use her, I couldn't get her to LV10 until the end of Ch11. And her use throughout the game is so limited that it's hard enough to find a good reason to deploy her, especially any later than that. When there's a need to use Search, I'd almost always rather just use Axel for actually having the possibility of damaging things, in the rare event that he hits.

As for the Bolt Knife, it's a pain to get one, and requires more RNG abuse than I enjoy. And if you're hiring Ceddy to recruit him, at least money isn't a concern when using him at those times. Also, he actually has utility with Provoke and Search, while Sene's skills require her to participate in combat where she's utterly abysmal. Ceddy's Critical II skill can cause issues, but only if he actually gains levels, and there's no reason why he should, just like how there's no reason why Sene should. I guess if you're going for perfect ranks, that's a reason, but I personally prefer the idea of just going for good ranks rather than perfection.

Edited by Othin

Burrows: His main issue is limited weapons keeping him from being used too much, combined with his serious terrain issues. He can move fast enough when there's a road available for him to move his full 2-3 hexes per turn, but when there are no roads around, he's not going much of anywhere. It gets even worse in chapters like 12 where he just can't cross beyond a certain point on the map.

But it's fun to have him hang around with his good buddy Derrick! Seriously though, I was just thinking about his uses in the last two chapters, where his movement issues don't exist. Looking at the list again, I'm wondering why I even mentioned him before. He's not more useful than Leon, so it's not like he can go up. I suppose I could argue him above Istobal in a tweaked list, but that's about it.

About the Thieves though, I guess your placement assumes no Bolt Knife at all? If so, then it probably makes sense for them to be so low. I just kind of assumed getting one would be a major priority, since it's practically required for ranked runs and isn't that hard to get. Even in unranked play, it helps fight the problem of constantly being poor, so I don't know if it's completely fair to assume the player won't get one. (I wrote up this fairly lengthy response before realizing the lack of Bolt Knife is probably why you put them there, which rendered the whole thing kind of dumb. :P)

But yeah, training Sene really isn't a problem at all. She gets free experience from any wounded enemies, since she's by far the best choice for picking them up (hi, 5-2). Or just pair her with Larentia and call it a day. Also, the point about searching is more of an argument against the Thief class and not just Sene. If I had to pick either of the two for searching though, I'd still say Sene wins for her ability to randomly swipe stuff from the opponent. You usually don't need to win the battle, so her lack of critical rate doesn't hurt much.

He's great when he works, but yeah.

Well, the real issue is knives and them tending to be terrible. But yeah, the Thief class and Thief characters have some serious issues just because of being locked to it. Personally, I like the criteria of going for high (not necessarily perfect) ranks while going for minimal resets. It could actually work out quite simply: count up your number of ranking points out of 140, subtract the number of resets, aim for highest score. So maybe you could wind up with a Bolt Knife, and if you do, that's great, but it doesn't seem likely and therefore not worth a ton of credit.

Sene can get experience from getting kills and captures, but then, so can almost anyone else. They do represent the main way of leveling up, after all. Enide in particular enjoys any kills she can grab to work towards promoting and becoming a goddess among mages, if she hasn't reached the point of being able to take care of herself. Also, her Pickpocket skill seems to have a really low activation rate unless you grab a Thief Dagger, a Thief Bracelet, or both, and it can only even work in the first place if the enemy has something to steal, as she can't steal equipped items until promoting. And if the enemy has some good secondary weapon, I'd rather use Ceddy to guarantee getting it, personally.