Should I make an effort to pair each character?

Quirino

Playing through Nohr Hard, I've been doing a little more planning than in my Hoshido Hard run. I'm currently 'planning' the couples I'm going to make. The parent units I plan on using (subject to change) are Corrin(M), Silas, Niles, Kaze, Leo, Keaton, Xander, Azura, Selena, Effie, Elise, Felicia and Camilla. I've benched Arthur but he has an A-support with Effie so I'll probably deploy him one or two more chapters to try and get an S-support.

Then, counting Arthur, I have 8 potential fathers and 6 potential mothers. So far my planned pairings are as follows (I didn't follow any guide, most of this is random/based on join time):

Avatar x Azura (same as Hoshido. Shigeru turned out pretty good)

Silas x Selena (wanted a physical mother for Sophie, Selena seems all around good)

Arthur x Effie (based on join time, plus they seem to complement each other well so I hope it makes for a well-rounded kid)

Niles x ?

Kaze x Elise

Keaton x Camilla

Leo x Felicia (I was going to pair Niles and Felicia, but I did some research on Leo's daughter son and found out he's a magic user.)

Xander x ?

So far Niles and Xander don't have a potential wife. Do you suggest I bring some female units I wouldn't use otherwise just for the sake of pairing them up or just leave it as it is now? This is a no-DLC run if that makes a difference. I don't know if the pairings I have are great now, but I'm not likely to swap anything around as I'm not looking to 'optimize' anything.

I recommend you pair everyone up just to experience all of the recruitment chapters. I just grind support points on any of the "skills" my castles where all the enemies have max stats, and no weapons, and the throne is vacent.

Edited by sirmola

Okay, let's start:

First off, while Sophie is a hard kid to screw up, Selena is not a good mother for her, actually, Selena is a bad mother to any physical children.

Everyone will recommend Charlotte as Xander's wife for good reason, she makes him very tough.

NilesxNyx works well for a magical Nina.

Also, unlike Awakening, children aren't broken, so you don't really need to use them.

But it is a good idea to get all children, simply for experience points you get.

The Paralogues in Conquest are the only non DLC/Invasion method of gaining EXP outside of the Main Story Chapters, so it's 100% worth it to go for as many as you can. I'll also highly disagree with Selena being a bad mom for Sophie. As a Great Knight, she'll have 50% or higher Growths in HP, Str, Skl, Spd and Def. She'll basically be another Silas, which is pretty nice in general. Plus, her class selection will rock. She can take her innate Lance Rank into Sky Knight too, which is a rare class in Conquest.

Edited by Avalanche

The Paralogues in Conquest are the only non DLC/Invasion method of gaining EXP outside of the Main Story Chapters, so it's 100% worth it to go for as many as you can. I'll also highly disagree with Selena being a bad mom for Sophie. As a Great Knight, she'll have 50% or higher Growths in HP, Str, Skl, Spd and Def. She'll basically be another Silas, which is pretty nice in general. Plus, her class selection will rock. She can take her innate Lance Rank into Sky Knight too, which is a rare class in Conquest.

But wait, doesn't Selena gives negative Str to her kids?

Her speed will be great, that much I agree.

But wait, doesn't Selena gives negative Str to her kids?

Her speed will be great, that much I agree.

She does give a -1 Cap. However, because of Silas' +1 Mod balancing it out, the +1 given to all non 3rd Gen Kana's leaves her with a +1 Str Cap. Mods also matter the least in Conquest, since with the lack on non DLC Grinding, even your key players aren't likely to ram all of their stat Caps. They'll hit some, but not all.

Edited by Avalanche

She does give a -1 Cap. However, because of Silas' +1 Mod balancing it out, the +1 given to all non 3rd Gen Kana's leaves her with a +1 Str Cap. Mods also matter the least in Conquest, since with the lack on non DLC Grinding, even your key players aren't likely to ram all of their stat Caps. They'll hit some, but not all.

Ah, I forgot about Silas's mods. And yeah, I also forgot that mods aren't important in Conquest.

Also to the OP, you don't need to bench Arthur after he S-ranks Effie. He can still serve as a pair-up bot for Effie and Arthur it's a quite good pair-up bot.

Effie paired up with S-rank!Berserker!Arthur actually might be better than their kid Percy.

Edited by Water Mage

Okay I will try to get some supports with Niles and Xander. I guess their supported units can just act as pairups to keep them out of danger (I didn't use both Nyx and Charlotte extensively so they're behind). I don't know if I will extensively use the children, I'll just see how good they are (last playthough I only ended up using Sophie and Shigure because they impressed me most) and decide then. Thanks for the suggestions :)

Okay I will try to get some supports with Niles and Xander. I guess their supported units can just act as pairups to keep them out of danger (I didn't use both Nyx and Charlotte extensively so they're behind). I don't know if I will extensively use the children, I'll just see how good they are (last playthough I only ended up using Sophie and Shigure because they impressed me most) and decide then. Thanks for the suggestions :)

You don't need to worry about their levels.

All you really need to do is promote Charlotte to Berserker and pair her with Xander. She really doesn't need levels.

Charlotte as a Berserker and S-ranked gives her partner +8 Str and +5 Spd. It's something exclusive to her. No other unit can give this sort of bonus I think.

No worries, all you need to do in order to get the most out of Nyx and Charlotte as Guard Stance Bots is to Promote them ASAP. Charlotte joins at Level 10, so she's good to go and Nyx only needs 1 level to hit Promotion range.

No worries, all you need to do in order to get the most out of Nyx and Charlotte as Guard Stance Bots is to Promote them ASAP. Charlotte joins at Level 10, so she's good to go and Nyx only needs 1 level to hit Promotion range.

Hmm okay. I've been a bit stingy with my resources in Conquest so far because the description when I chose the path read that funds were limited. But promoting them should definitely boost their usefulness. Will I get enough master seals in game to promote everyone else as well or would I have to buy some?

Hmm okay. I've been a bit stingy with my resources in Conquest so far because the description when I chose the path read that funds were limited. But promoting them should definitely boost their usefulness. Will I get enough master seals in game to promote everyone else as well or would I have to buy some?

You'd have to buy them. The issue is, Master Seals are in limited supply until you can upgrade your shop to level 3.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

You would likely need to buy them. Prioritize your actual combat units before Pair Up fodder, the difference from Unpromoted Guard Stance boosts and Promoted is only about 2-3 Points.However, as someone who just finished his first run of Conquest Hard last night, I can say that you get plenty of cash and shouldn't worry about buying a couple Seals for Stance Bots once they become widely available. With all of my purchases made for my Endgame strategy, I had over 37000 Gold to spare by Chapter 27.

Edited by Avalanche