Soul's FE7 character rating topic.

Junkhead

Above two: I remember /RAEGing at a review a couple years back for Guild Wars: Factions. Dude raves about everything under the sun, makes some snarky comment about the sounds not being quite up to par, raves some more, and then gives the game a 7.5/10.

Point here being, make the words fit the score and/or vice-versa.

The words Soul spoke mean, to me, a unit who sits comfortably at 6. Maybe even 6.5, but absolutely no higher.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stated my reasons in the review, I was only pointing out that a Hammer doesn't make him any better other than being able to 1RKO Knights, later, he'll be pretty great against Generals, he can use a Steel Axe relablably, but you need to get him through many enemies that aren't Knights before you even get to promote him.

Serra

The whiny, outspoken Barbie Girl cleric. Serra is the first healer you get, she is good at doing what she does earlygame, because enemies either don't deal enough damage or have poor Hit. Although I have to admit she's not doing much here Lyn's Mode, it's because of what I stated previously, so don't expect her to be level rapidly unless you Heal spam every turn or as much as possible, and that is unefficient and it seems like a waste of time just to train her.

Her concrete durability is pretty average in relation to most magic users in FE7, and she won't be having trouble when she doesn't exactly have a place in the middle of the field, so she's pretty well. Her evasive durability is normal, she can dodge axe users without the requirement of terrain bonus.

Even though she doesn't need to be healing constantly, that doesn't mean she isn't useful.

My score: 8

Serra (HHM)

Serra is back! Once again, she joins pretty early, arriving at the second chapter of HHM, she turns out to be pretty much more needed here, at least that is with characters like Matthew who might as well stay out of the combat field due to earlygame Pegasus Knights he is having trouble up against.

Overall, she is pretty useful, and even though she is overshadowed by Priscilla's mounted utility due to slightly bigger maps and with more open fields, it isn't stopping her from being good at what she does, so she's having some good utility for the next two chapters before you can get your second healer.

Her concrete durability is just about the same in relation to Lyn's mode, she's getting 2RKO'd by most enemies (The only ones doubling her being Myrms), but once again, you're going to have to keep her off enemy range all the time, she needs some more babying here in HHM.

Serra's supports are the slowest we have by now...her fastest support is wiht Hector, taking only 45 turns for a C support, then we have Osw1n as her second fastest option taking only 50 turns. Thing is, it'll be hard getting to support her with the two units that are more than likely to be in the front lines and then in the middle of the field, so all her supports are inefficient, take forever, and just don't make a difference on an unpromoted Serra (The best they could do is give her slightly more Atk as a Bishop, or some more Def which isn't helping much).

Once promoted, her combat is pretty mediocre , I won't assume she'll get to promote anywhere before the Dread Isles without any favoritism, and she is not the only one wanting a Guiding Ring, there are much better options (Erk, Lucius and Canas). Serra is going to be having competition on anyone who promotes seeing as they get staves, except she'll be able to use a Physic staff (A staff that she ain't getting until you at least leave the Dread Isles IIRC).

Erk

Being the first Mage you get, he is pretty good targeting Res and all, he'll be borderline 2RKO most enemies, and he simply 1RKOs LOLdiers and some Archers. So his offense is pretty average, it'll take a while before can double anything that aren't the enemies mentioned previously, and he's just exellent against the two Knight bosses in Ch 6 & 8, he's also 2RKO'ing them.

His concrete durability is also pretty average, it's only slightly better than Serra's. His evasive durability has to be around the worst for now, only getting beaten by a constantly WTD'd Florina.

My score: 7

Erk (HHM)

His HHM earlygame is similiar to his LHM performance, except he is having some more durability problems. Getting 3 to borderline 2RKO'd isn't too bad for a Mage, I suppose.

His offense is also just about the same, assuming we got him to around lvl 6, he's doing rather average damage in comparison to the team, most enemies excluding peggies (Around 4-5 Res) have around 1-2 Res, so yeah, it's pretty much the same, he's doing chip damage.

Erk is probably one of options for the first Guiding Ring. The problem is, that despite using Anima magic, his offense isn't that great until he either doubles or his Mag starts to kick, which isn't happening until he at least promotes, that +1 Mag isn't helping out either. So once he promotes, he becomes pretty durable, +4 HP/+3 Def & Res is just great and makes a balance of being durable against both, physical and magical enemies. Oh yeah, E in staves is pretty good when you can't field fragile units such as Serra or Priscilla.

He's not doing too bad when supporting, although his options aren't that good, until Pent and Louise arrive, he's going to have Priscilla as his option, the problem is it can be difficult to keep them together seeing as Priscilla's having +2 Mov over him, and she might as well use it well by wanting to heal those in need, but a C support might not take long at all, Erk gets critical bonus, not so bad when he has a Thunder tome, meaning he'll have 14% Crit against every enemy, he could get Atk from their next support.

So he does pays off with some babying, his Spd kicks pretty fast, and he'll be a good candidate for the first Guiding Ring thanks to the fact he's also supporting a unit with high Mov.

Edited by Soul

So Serra > Sain when Sain's around for more chapters and can actually kick ass while Serra is reduced to healing that isn't really needed most of the time? Cool.

I was biased to whether reduce her score to an 8 or a 9, I might as well go to the former. Thank you.

Edited by Soul

I was biased to whether reduce her score to an 8 or a 9, I might as well go to the former. Thank you.

Of course you're biased but then you have to change the title to "Soul's opinion of FE7 characters" since your opinion and mine are completely different.

But isn't that how most rating topics go? They try to go in agreements with others so they can give a unit the score they deserve.

Even though are opinions are different, I try not to implement any favoritism or level abundance.

Of course you're biased but then you have to change the title to "Soul's opinion of FE7 characters" since your opinion and mine are completely different.

Wouldn't that be the definition of "I rate FE7 characters"? Shorthand for "The following contains my sincere opinions on the usefulness and other features of the characters in Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword in a publicly debatable setting"?

Edited by Integrity

Rath

Rath is a mounted bow-user, unlike Wil, he is competent, starts with great bases and passable growths.

He is indeed very good in Lyn's mode. I may be overdoing it, but he can pretty much kill most enemies, and at least he can take out the most redundant ones such as Brigands and LOLdiers. But he's dealing good damage even if he isn't killing the rest.

His concrete durability is decent, it's about tied to Kent & Sain's or slightly better. At his evasive durability, I would say it's passable. He has high Spd with average Luck.

And like every bow user, his Enemy Phase doesn't exist.

Rath doesn't need any training to be good in this mode, and it's also kind of a waste to let him get many kills seeing as he gains a low ammount of Exp. And again, I'll mention he's mounted, which is like a double edged blade when you think of it, because it's as much as an advantage, as a disadvantage.

Rath (HHM)

Rath arrives at the 2nd turn of Chapter 22. Pretty late in this mode- Well, not exactly late, but at the time you recruit him, you should already have high-leveled characters. He falls low behind on just about everything.

His bases aren't so good anymore, at least that is because enemies are stronger, even Wyerns Riders are kinda laughing that he 2-3RKOs them with effective weapons that he uses against them, bows.

And IS even lowered his Con...why, exactly?

His offense is pretty bad. Being locked to bows and having non-existent Enemy Phase is bad.

Rath is just meant to be doome. He was such a decent unit in Lyn's mode, but in here, he's just not worth the trouble, you already have more useful mounted units with 1-2 range and better Atk.

Matthew

A thief. In Lyn's mode. I'll give him credit for getting us the Seraph Robe at Chapter 6. But that's about it for his Thief utility, only because the other two items you get are worthless (An armourslayer and a Hammer).

His combat sucks. He's 2RKO'ing only Brigands, Archers and Mages. All three being enemies that don't appear to often. His durability is also dreadful. It's comparable to what Lyn had at the start of the game, except she was facing tons of more axe users, and had the Mani Katti to back up her below-average Str.

Only because he isn't completely worthless.

Matthew (HHM)

I think he is one of the very few characters that gets better in this mode, it's mostly because of the many more items he gets to steal.

Matthew steals pretty good and valuable items, it's also thanks to him we get the first two promotion items.

His combat is even more dreadful, but not all useless, he deals some decent damage to earlygame axe users, enough as to make others get the kills since they have pretty high HP as to be 1RKO'd by anyone that isn't Marcus. But after that, it's completely unreliable, he's borderline of tinking some enemies.

His concrete durability is horrible, 'nuff said.

His evasive durability is great against axe users and just passable against Mages with Thunder and Shamans, everything else gets him since he is constantly suffering WTD.

I don't think the Fell Contract is exactly worth giving to him, but it's just better than keep it sitting at the storage. He's nothing special when he promotes, the only way you're having kill everything is with Killing Edges or any highly crtical-reliable weapon.

His only good support option is Guy, seeing as Hector prefers Osw1n and Eliw00t. Matthew and Guy get exactly what they want, Atk, Crit and Avo, but most of all, Atk and Crit., that'll make his earlygame offense against anything that isn't an axe user passable, and just great with a Killing Edge. Same applies to Guy.

Since Matthew isn't all combat and relies very much on his Thief utility, I think he deserves a great score:

Edited by Soul

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not seeing Rath as an 8 for LM. He has good offence, but he's locked to bows, taking out his enemy phase offence. It's not HHM with swarms of enemies that need to be killed on enemy phase, but it still hinders him. And since he comes at level 7, he gets lower exp, and comes more than half way through. Maybe a 7.

He's locked to bows, but Rath is still essentially a guaranteed PP kill every turn if you're willing to feed it to him. It's valuable XP that could have gone on Kent/Matthew/Erk gone, but he's certainly worth an 8 - especially since if you don't use Wil nobody's using his freebie bow anyway.

He's locked to bows, but Rath is still essentially a guaranteed PP kill every turn if you're willing to feed it to him. It's valuable XP that could have gone on Kent/Matthew/Erk gone, but he's certainly worth an 8 - especially since if you don't use Wil nobody's using his freebie bow anyway.

Rath isn't strong enough to even guarantee a kill on player phase without some significant EXP investment.

Rath isn't strong enough to even guarantee a kill on player phase without some significant EXP investment.

How hard can it possibly be to weaken something enough to guarantee that Rath can kill it?

Rath can kill most enemies reliably, most of them being LOLdiers, Brigands, Mages and only misses on Mercenaries and weakens Cavaliers reliably (As long as their AS falls 6 and lower); Even though Brigands don't appear as often as they used to after Ch 5, it was just an example of the many enemies he's getting kill.

• 4 weeks later...

Once again, I apologize for taking so long. I'm still here~

[spoiler=LHM]

Lucius

I'm going to do this fast:

Lucius starts out with close to unexistant Def, rather amazing Res for earlygame and pretty great offense.

He starts with amazing Spd, the second best Spd only falling lower to Lyn, and since he hits Res, he can 1RKO many, many enemies.

Again, his conrete durability against physical enemies is godawful, so he'll be 2-shotted by every enemy, which is pretty average compared to the other to magic users, Erk and Serra. His evasive durability isn't reliable either, becaause despite having high Spd, his Luck is very unreliable.

One last thing, he only has one Lighting tome available until Chapter 10, which makes his uses limited.

[spoiler=HHM]He starts of with some actual competition, that being Erk...with some favoritism. He's only beaten by slightly better durability and avaibility, the latter not being too important when he isn't doing much by slight Knight smashing.

He might be the same level as Erk by now, meaning they do have some competiton over the Guiding Ring coming up.

So Lucius offense might be average or maintained depending whether you trained him or not, but since I'll consider him to be trained...his offense is still pretty great, but here is where his godawful durability starts showing a little more, he still gets 2-shotted by everything and laughs at Mages. He'll be alright as long as he stays where he needs to be, at the back line.

Concrete durability problems with him are solved by the used of the Dragonshield. He should be entitled to it, don't see anyone make better use of it really...

Lucius getting 1HKO'd won't happen unless you decide to keep training him, he is a very good candidate for the first Guiding Ring, he gains amazing offense and existent concrete durability, not much, but he'll be able to take some more hits. Lucius also gains an amazing C in staves upon promotion, meaning he'll obselette Serra since she doesn't heal very much, and will be relying on Mend a little more often. Not to mention her combat is awful once she promotes.

His only viable and fast support would have to be with Raven, it actually help by giving him Def and Crit. Evade.

In my opinion, Lucius has to be one of the best magic users here in FE7, only truly beaten by Pent and Priscilla.

Edited by The leaving song II

IRC. Remember? :P

Ninian and Nils

We first get Nils in LHM, and we have him here and won't have him playable until endgame. So this review is going to be mixed since have the same growth and stats.

They are your typical refreshing units, they are indeed very useful in dangerous situations, such as making a unit move out of danger, move again to attack an ally in in peril or make a healer move again to heal.

Nils isn't really that useful in Lyn'd mode to be honest. Not to mention his avaibilty is poor. I mean, if you consider the fact he can get you to 19xx it's only worth due to the valueble treasure there, but it takes boss abusing to get him to level 7, yeah. I'm not really considering that as an up.

Unlike Nils, Ninian actually gets to support. Despite not starting with support points, having her support with Eliw00t is rather fast, they can gain there first C support in 12 turns, which is pretty great, especially with the awarded bonuses. So that's her only viable support, the other ones aren't too slow, but they will take a while considering the other two units she could support (Florina and Hawkeye) are either taken or will have other places in the field.

Their Avo is what to expect: It's pretty good, and it keeps growing amazingly with their 150% Avo growth.

While their concrete durability growth is slightly higher than Eliw00t's, it starts awful. They can easily get 2HKO'd by everything that aren't Mages. Also, their Res grows fast, but their base it pretty low, too.

Nils: 6.5

Ninian: 8.5

Why should it take boss abuse to get Nils to 7? Wait, dance, wait, dance, wait, dance. Boss has nothing to do with it. :P

It still does take a fuckton of turns, though.

Why should it take boss abuse to get Nils to 7? Wait, dance, wait, dance, wait, dance. Boss has nothing to do with it. :P

It still does take a fuckton of turns, though.

It's basically the same thing, except you're not getting very well use out of it, but rather wasting your time and get paid back by an extra chapter.

It's basically the same thing, except you're not getting very well use out of it, but rather wasting your time and get paid back by an extra chapter.

Meh. Fair enough.

Anyway, I maintain that dancers shouldn't be ranked, so I'm out of this for discussion purposes.