The Genius of Two Versions

TheCaptain

While many people may be mad at the decision to make two versions, this was actually one of the smartest things they could have done, because it isn't just a way to get more money like other games *cough Pokemon cough*. The two versions are drastically different. Think about it. What was the biggest controversy over Awakening? How it had things like grinding for new fans. Many older fans hated Awakening for this, but no one can deny that it brought more fans. So, for this new game, they wanted yo please older fans and remove this, but keep newer fans by keeping it, so this was really the best possible solution. Nohr to please older fans, Hoshido to please Awakening fans. It could even convert newer fans and make them more willing to play tougher FE games if they decide to try Nohr after Hoshido.

Your thoughts?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a pretty positive way to put it but I think the main problem is that they promised choices and since Hoshido vs Nohr is one of the biggest choices (I'm assuming there will be more), they are forcing you to choose by which you pay for. I personally wish it was a consolidated game where I didn't have to choose before I met all the characters. Say I buy the Hoshido version. How am I to know if I actually like the Hoshido characters over the Nohr before I play? I don't. That's the part I don't like about this split.

Either way, I'm going to buy both versions and its not that big of an issue for me but I can definitely see why many people are upset.

I haven't been able to confirm, but some sites were suggesting we'll be getting one version only and it'll based off the Japanese digital version of the game.

In that version, you get to pick your version during Chapter 6, which sounds like what you wanted.

(You still have to buy the other version you didn't pick though.)

I haven't been able to confirm, but some sites were suggesting we'll be getting one version only and it'll based off the Japanese digital version of the game.

In that version, you get to pick your version during Chapter 6, which sounds like what you wanted.

Well if that happens to be true, that works for me. I just don't want to blindly go into a game without knowing which faction I'd actually want to side with.

Which even if it didn't, I guess I could do the digital version but I like having a physical copy.

That is pretty genius, and I am starting to like the idea of 2 versions.

I mean, I do prefer one game cart but I don't mind if they make 2.

Plus (to the people complaining about not knowing the characters...) if you get the digital version, you have 6 chapters to learn about the important characters before buying the version you want.

If that's not enough or you buy the physical version, then you could always look up bios or gameplay online.

If there's 2 ways out it's not "forcing" you to choose before you know them.

I really don't think things like grinding were even remotely close to being the biggest controversy surrounding Awakening. Grinding has been possible since the Dark Dragon and the Sword of Light was released 25 years ago (granted it was much, much more difficult back then), and that's to say nothing of the fact that grinding has always been optional. I would say the biggest controversy with Awakening involved the writing, character designs, and certain mechanics. Those are the only issues I'm willing to entertain and genuine controversies at any rate.

When it comes down to it, Awakening really didn't introduce much that wasn't already present in the series in one form or another. :\

That's a pretty positive way to put it but I think the main problem is that they promised choices and since Hoshido vs Nohr is one of the biggest choices (I'm assuming there will be more), they are forcing you to choose by which you pay for.

This. The Japanese Direct seemed to say that instead of there being actual choices like Iwata originally said, each path is its own version of the game and you have to pay for which one you choose. I'm just going to buy the Hoshido version if NA ends up getting two different versions, but I can see why this upsets people.

I liked the two versions in the sense it appeals to both people who liked Awakening or did not like it as much. A nice way to address the issue, and at the same time. Essentially giving the same game, yet literally catered in that way to each.

Like others have said, the main disappointment was regarding how the original advertising of how choices will lead to many things has now boiled down to actually just one choice earlier in the game that locks you on one path or another (or in the case of buying physical separate, a meta-choice as to which game to buy). That was the main disappointment with me too. But, I am looking forward and hoping for a great story regardless.

Well they say there are others choices on the main site. The version split just happens to involve the biggest one

Indeed, it just implies that they will not be as intricate as once thought before. Though, out of curiosity, where on the main site does it say that?

I hope at the very least they give you a deal on both if you buy both versions because I am gong to get the cartridge and am a big enough Fe fan my collector side will make me get both. I am a bit disappointed it is not like SMT where your choices really do matter an every choice effects the ending, instead one choice decides who you side with for the whole game in IF.

Why should we have to buy the other one if we pick one side over the other?

Several games before FE:if have had this kind of option of choosing a side that would alter your gameplay and story, if only slightly in some instances. And we didn't have to pay for it. For example, in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, there came a point where you had to side with Iron Man or Captain America, and it would change the missions you had to preform in-game. Something split the Avengers up, and you had to take a side. It didn't matter in the end as they all got back together halfway through the game. In fact, I would not be surprised if that wasn't going to be the case with this. We could very well end up with only a few chapters that are really different between the versions, and the rest of the game is the combination of both nation's units, however I can also see that not happening. Either way, I'm a bit more than pissed about this split, and until the game comes out and tries to justify this method, I see it as something EA would pull just to get more money out of fan's pockets. You can argue that Pokemon also did it, and I will argue that I Pokemon is not free from this criticism either.

Why should we have to buy the other one if we pick one side over the other?

Several games before FE:if have had this kind of option of choosing a side that would alter your gameplay and story, if only slightly in some instances. And we didn't have to pay for it. For example, in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, there came a point where you had to side with Iron Man or Captain America, and it would change the missions you had to preform in-game. Something split the Avengers up, and you had to take a side. It didn't matter in the end as they all got back together halfway through the game. In fact, I would not be surprised if that wasn't going to be the case with this. We could very well end up with only a few chapters that are really different between the versions, and the rest of the game is the combination of both nation's units, however I can also see that not happening. Either way, I'm a bit more than pissed about this split, and until the game comes out and tries to justify this method, I see it as something EA would pull just to get more money out of fan's pockets. You can argue that Pokemon also did it, and I will argue that I Pokemon is not free from this criticism either.

I think, while your rage is justified we should wait. Considering I feel this will be 2 full games with very different stories and units with a shared universe.

With a 3rd whole new story coming later that may have a whole new take and more units unique to itself, but who knows.

I like it but most people seem stuck on the fact that they "have to" spend more money, despite the fact they are getting 1.75 fire emblem for the price of 1.4.

You have to spend more money to get an experience advertised in the direct. There is no way to fully experience the original pitch/features without buying two games.

It's a cashgrab and I'd rather have 1 game that actually achieves its vision.

The issue with Fire Emblem: If is that when it comes down to it, the game was marketed as one where you are forced to make difficult choices in-game based on picking a side. It does not make sense to market it like Pokémon (hence why they just plain didn't in the English Direct) nor does the moral dilemma in If suit the two version release. It's damned by its own marketing and release strategy.

There's still no guarantee the Special Edition is going to release over here, but I hope some sort of physical copy releases in the 'States that at least delivers the moral choice the entire game and advertising hinges on. Otherwise this game is a joke. Sort of like Awakening's choice system on a larger scale: You can choose "yes" or "no" all you want, but that Exalt ain't gettin' down from that cliff safely.

Either way, I'm a bit more than pissed about this split, and until the game comes out and tries to justify this method, I see it as something EA would pull just to get more money out of fan's pockets. You can argue that Pokemon also did it, and I will argue that I Pokemon is not free from this criticism either.

The difference is in how Pokémon's core gameplay mechanics function. Two versions may be a cheap marketing ploy, but it does create player incentive to trade with others who have the version you don't, and trading/communication has been vital to the series since the first game. Pokémon uses the two-version split to advance its core gameplay mechanics/marketing, unlike If which contradicts itself.

Indeed, it just implies that they will not be as intricate as once thought before. Though, out of curiosity, where on the main site does it say that?

its on news and information then its in an article that talks about the japan offical site

The difference is in how Pokémon's core gameplay mechanics function. Two versions may be a cheap marketing ploy, but it does create player incentive to trade with others who have the version you don't, and trading/communication has been vital to the series since the first game. Pokémon uses the two-version split to advance its core gameplay mechanics/marketing, unlike If which contradicts itself.

It's also just more palatable because you can fully experience and do everything in either version - especially with wifi trading at this point (personally I think it's a little silly to buy two versions nowadays). It is impossible to experience all of If as advertised without buying both versions.

I think until we have more information on what each path includes we can't safely say it's a cash grab or a bargain. Remember that NOA hasn't confirmed the two halves of the game.

So it might actually be a bargain if the games are distinctly different from the other since we won't have to pay full price for another game. Or they could be be the same (but I heard that there will be a map function in hoshido which makes already makes it impossible to be completely the same game).

Point is don't count your chickens before they hatch. You might be a few short, or you might end up with twins (I don't think that's possible for chickens though...)

If the two paths have their own individual choices, which actually matter(unlike Awakening),and change each story in various ways(Including bad endings,good endings) then I am ok with buying both.

I hope our only choice wont be which version to get at the store.

Edited by JayTheKing

As long as the two are clearly different from each other, I'm perfectly fine with it. I know a lot of people are upset, understandably, but it's a new FE game. Who knows, it could end up being the best one in the series, which would justify the whole thing. Then again, who knows. I'll end up buying both versions anyways so I'm alright with it. Anyways, we really don't know which version we'll get anyways, either 2 in 1 or 2 in... 2. Digital or physical. Or the limited edition with both of them. I like the latter option.

I think until we have more information on what each path includes we can't safely say it's a cash grab or a bargain. Remember that NOA hasn't confirmed the two halves of the game.

For me it doesn't matter how much content is in each. It won't be 2 halves in one game as advertised, and therefore it will be a cashgrab regardless of how much of a bargain the content:price ratio is.

That certainly seems to be their intent, judging by the promotional material. But will they deliver? Grinding is just one of many things that would need to be removed for me to consider that the Nohr version provides the same type of experience of older games:

- Is reclassing gone? Doesn't seem so.

- Is the skill system interesting and balanced, with characters having unique skill combinations? Doesn't seem so.

- Is the level design actually good and not just a bunch of boxes with random enemies and forts placed symmetrically? Time will tell.

- Are there going to be multiple objectives, just not rout / kill the boss? What about fog of war and status effects?

- Pair-up is not gone, which is terrible news. Has it actually been reworked into something good?

- It the game reasonably balanced? Do I need to use teamwork or can I solo entire maps easily by abusing certain mechanics?

- Is it actually a strategy game or just another one of these sandbox SRPGs where it's just a matter of increasing stats, creating super units and breaking the game in half?

I'm extremely skeptical. I'll believe them when I see it. After the Japanese versions releases, the first thing I'm going to do is watch a Nohr playthrough on Youtube.

They could actually incorporate some of those elements here though. What if each army has its own exclusive classes, and in order to use classes from one army with another you need to get a guest avatar or bonus character from other players? It wouldn't be hard to improve on Awakening's connectivity features.

Anyway, I don't think this game will be split in NA or have any odd restriction because nothing was announced in the NA Direct. Waiting closer to release to reveal the split would just create a backlash. People bring up the Pokemon comparison, but what about Zelda: Oracle of Seasons /Oracle of Ages? No one complained about that game being split into two, but that's because it was never marketed as a single game.

Edited by NeonZ

For me it doesn't matter how much content is in each. It won't be 2 halves in one game as advertised, and therefore it will be a cashgrab regardless of how much of a bargain the content:price ratio is.

Calling it cashgrab is a bit too much I think.What if they didnt advertise it that way and said nothing about choices?Would it still be a cashgrab?I obviously understand why you are dissapointed though.Sure hope each path has each own individual choices which result in different endings.