Astelaine's Sprite Thread

Astelaine

Still working on wyvern rider lady, but since I managed to get my files back, here's a works-in-progress dump!

wips3_zps557116b0.png

Lena and Palla are for Legend of Marth. The latter two are OCs for my own project - one is new and the other is an update of the one in my sig.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the direction Lena is going! Bonneettttt! As for a little bit of critique, the way the hair parts for the eyebrow to show through on the first OC is a little weird, might want to re-do the bangs in that area. Agreeing with Amelia too, I think the forehead is somewhat short on the second OC.

Everything looks amazing Astel! Can't wait to see the finished product for Lena!

Here's what I'm working on at the moment:

sayre_wip_zps68b8deae.png

Wyvern rider. Something about the face is bothering me but I can't put my finger on it. Preliminary crits welcome.

It may very well be the eye spacing.

On a side note, when I first saw her, I thought of Frimelda from FFTA2, especially her in-game mug. It may just easily be me though.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Aviv

Oh my gawsh you didn't even shade Rena/Lena's hat!? haoldkelscjsklkc! jk

Asteline, you have some really great stuff. Keep up the great work!

Oh my gawsh you didn't even shade Rena/Lena's hat!? haoldkelscjsklkc! jk

Asteline, you have some really great stuff. Keep up the great work!

It's called work-in-progress for a reason. ;)

Anyways, cool stuff. Glad to know you're back from a very long hiatus. Your hair is magical as always. @.@

hope you get to finish Lena cause I like where she's going. <3

Re: Crits: I agree the forehead is short on the last one - thanks Amelia and Mew! As for the blue-haired OC, her hair isn't done yet, so those bangs will be fixed for sure. :) Thank you to everyone who complimented the hair as well. I found hair very difficult for a long time and it was looking really "toothpasty." I think I'm beginning to figure out how to make it look like actual strands now.

Also, Palla is done!

palla_sheet5_zps0912cdc0.png

(Yes, her minimug is slightly different, but I don't really care.) Lena will happen once I figure out that bonnet. D:

Wyvern rider fixes:

sayre_wip_zps68b8deae.png -> sayre_wip1x_zps2a088235.png -> sayre__wip2_zps457d8895.png

Is the third face any better? AK and I tried moving the eyes in closer but it just wasn't looking right. I tried this as a solution instead. Feedback very much appreciated.

Btw, any resemblance to Frimelda is a coincidence - I didn't know that character existed, haha.

Edited by Astelaine

• 5 months later...

*airs out thread* Hi!

After a long hiatus from anything FE-related, I've been spriting a little bit between real-lifing and gaming and various project-ings. My goal is to update some of my old mugs, because now that I look back at them, they irk me terribly.

First up, Maris. The angle on her face has been bothering me for YEARS. Please tell me if this is a little closer to correct!

maris_iconv2.png -> maris_wip5.png

It's still a WIP, but crits are very welcome.

Edited by Astelaine

Oh shit you're back :o:

Good to see ya

To me Maris' new angle looks weirder and more awkward than the old one but I'm not really the best with cc

Yea..the new angle looks more "Doll"esque, to me.

I like it (though maybe because the face seems better, not the actual new angle). I'm not good at this, but maybe tone down the tilt, but still keep it?

I think that the new face does match the hairline and cheek much better than the old face.

Maybe try changing the shoulders to go with the tilt a little? idk hahaha

Edited by L95

maris_iconv2.png -> maris_wip5.png

I'm not an expert at this, but I THINK the reason it looks a bit strange to me is the lighting v shadow produced by the nose versus no shadow produced by the bangs. I mean sure I see the one pixel of shadow that outlines the entire face, but the bangs on the right hand side (from the viewer's POV) should produce something a little more...i dunno, in/deep/whatever, so that it matches the impact of the smaller side of the face.

Granted. I think it looks incredible still. It's just a tiny nitpick that I'm trying to fabricate words for

Edited by Elieson

Welcome back, Astel~

The new one is definitely an improvement in matching the hair and complementing the costume, although I think the core weirdness might be that the neck is curving back while the chin is tucked in? The neck could probably be shaded darker to separate it from reading as the same depth-level as the face. (just an opinion, both look good imo)

Edited by Lenh