Classes

NekoKnight

With the latest news, we now know a bit more about available classes and their weapon types. What with be the other promotion options and what weapons do you think they will use? What other returning classes will there be?

What has been confirmed so far (and some inferences based on screenshots)

Hoshido

Weapon Master (sword, lance, axe) << Samurai (sword) >> Trueblade (sword)

??? (lance, bow) << Pegasus Warrior (lance) >> ???

Bowman (bow)

??? (staff, bow) << Priestess (staff) >> ???

Lancer (lance)

Spellcaster (tome)

Shinobi (hidden weapon) >> Puppeteer (hidden weapon, ???)

Oni (axe)

Spirit Fox (shape-shifter)

Nohr

Berserker (axe) << Fighter (axe) >> Brave Hero (axe, sword??)

Sorcerer (tome) << Dark Mage (tome) >> ???
Paladin (lance, sword) << Cavalier (lance, sword) >> Great Knight (lance, sword, axe)

Strategist?? (staff, tome) << Rod Knight (staff) >> ???

Brave Hero?? (sword, axe) << Mercenary (sword) >> Bow Knight (bow, sword)

??? << Wyvern Rider (axe) >> Revenant Knight?? (axe, ??)

Dark Knight (tome, sword??)

Knight (lance)

Thief (bow)

Maid/Butler (hidden weapon, staff)

Garu (shape-shifter)

Speculation/Wanted classes

Revenant Knight will promote to Wyvern Lord (axe, lance) and Dark Drake (axe, tome)

Lancer with promote to a pure lance class and a lance/bow class.
Oni will promote to Dread Fighter (axe, sword, hidden weapon) and Berserker (axe)

Ninja will also promote to Dread Fighter.

Personally, I'd like Tactician and Light Mage to make a return. If the white kingdom doesn't get light magic, I will sue IS weep big soppy tears.

Edited by NekoKnight

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Light magic is unneeded, I personally still don't see the attachment to it, but anyways that aside.

I like the classes so far and Weapons Master has a very Dynasty Warriors look to me which I 100% approve of.

I have a feeling that lancer is going to promote into weapon master and a pure lance class. Also I'm not sure if rod knight is confirmed to promote to strategist but i think it is confirmed that they are in the same branch as butler/maids.

Also what is with this forum's apparent fixation with light magic?

Edited by goodperson707

Light magic is unneeded, I personally still don't see the attachment to it, but anyways that aside.

I like the classes so far and Weapons Master has a very Dynasty Warriors look to me which I 100% approve of.

Agreed. Although I liked light magic for the diversity it brought to combat, it makes sense why we only have Elemental and Dark Magic in this game. Elemental magic is for all mages where dark magic is exclusive for dark mages. Dark magic brought unique battle effects in Awakening, i.e. high critical ratios, double attacks, and HP-sapping. If we had a light magic exclusive class, what battle effects would the magic bring to the table? It would be redundant.

Plus, you can see that staves and batons are a form of light magic, since light is associated with wellness and prosperity, hence the healing aspect.

I have a feeling that lancer is going to promote into weapon master and a pure lance class. Also I'm not sure if rod knight is confirmed to be a promote to strategist but i think it is confirmed that they are in the same branch as butler/maids.

Yes, Rod Knights promote to Maid/Butler or Strategist.

I have a feeling that lancer is going to promote into weapon master and a pure lance class. Also I'm not sure if rod knight is confirmed to promote to strategist but i think it is confirmed that they are in the same branch as butler/maids.

Also what is with this forum's apparent fixation with light magic?

A lot of us started on Blazing Sword so there's that attachment. As for why I want it in the game, it's both for aesthetics and tome diversity. Weapons now have a lot of additional effects, so I could see light magic carving its own niche.

Dark magic brought unique battle effects in Awakening, i.e. high critical ratios, double attacks, and HP-sapping. If we had a light magic exclusive class, what battle effects would the magic bring to the table? It would be redundant.

How is dark magic not redundant with standard tomes? Standard tomes also have extra effects like weapon effectiveness to certain targets or Celica's Gale. There are so many possible effects in the game, I don't know why you think they should all belong to one magic sub-type.

Anyway, this thread isn't to debate the value of Light Magic, let's talk desired classes.

Edited by NekoKnight

If light magic is left out again, I really hope they bar elemental magic to the mage and mage counterparts, and dark magic users stay to dark magic. And if we're bringing a little more complexity to the weapon triangle, I think it could find it's place again. I was a big fan of it's use in the GBA era, so there's that.

Other than that I can't think of anything.

Nope.

Nothing at all.

Gimme my damn nomads.

If light magic is left out again, I really hope they bar elemental magic to the mage and mage counterparts, and dark magic users stay to dark magic.

Nyx was shown equipping Anima magic.

Back to the topic, I also want to see Magic Wyvern but not sure how that'll work since this type of class tends to have very weak magic.

Edited by Ryo

A lot of us started on Blazing Sword so there's that attachment. As for why I want it in the game, it's both for aesthetics and tome diversity. Weapons now have a lot of additional effects, so I could see light magic carving its own niche.

How is dark magic not redundant with standard tomes? Standard tomes also have extra effects like weapon effectiveness to certain targets or Celica's Gale. There are so many possible effects in the game, I don't know why you think they should all belong to one magic sub-type.

Anyway, this thread isn't to debate the value of Light Magic, let's talk desired classes.

Ok? I was talking about classes as well both confirmed and speculated, and are you going to add butlers/maids << rod knight >>strategist as you have at least one class that is speculation already.

Also i started with 8 and i still don't see the attachment to light magic especially since light magic in 6/7/8 was at least in part just a way to make bishops less good at attacking things. (While things that arent monsters in 8's case but it still isn't that good if you are a sage/valkire

Edited by goodperson707

Gimme my damn nomads.

I figured that Takumi would promote to the Hoshido equivalent of Sniper and Bow Knight. Perhaps there will also be nomads under the title of Yabusame (Japanese mounted archery).

Back to the topic, I also want to see Magic Wyvern but not sure how that'll work since this type of class tends to have very weak magic.

Revenant Knight might have higher magic growth than Wyvern riders, even if they are overall similar. Even if they didn't, it wouldn't be the first time a hybrid class was born out of a purely physical or magical base class. Dark Knights use swords but promote from two classes that have low strength.

Edited by NekoKnight

The kanji for Weapon Master seems to be another way of saying tactician/strategist, and since we have an actual Strategist class in addition to that, it might be a bit redundant for Awakening's Tactician class to return (the kanji is different than the one used for Weapon Master, but still). A sword/tome using class is cool but it might exist in the form of some other class this time (Mage Fighter?)

Oni will likely promote to a berserker-like class but it'll be different from the Nohrian Berserker class.

I think Lancer having Weapon Master as a promotion option seems logical.

Ninja will most likely promote to (the Hoshido equivalent of) Assassin, but I'd be down with Dread Fighter as the other option.

Edited by Bovinian

I don't really like the idea of completely new base classes promoting into returning ones honestly. That's so boring to me. I'd like if each had at least one brand new promotion, preferably unique to them.

One thing to note is that Samurai(so Myrmidon)didn't get Assassin as a promotion this time around, and Thief from Nohr already has bows. As such, them being a hoshidan class that Shinobis promote into remains to be seen, if they're anything like in Awakening at least. Tellius on the other hand...

Edited by Cysx

Neko knight can you please add ??? To the rest of the classes that are not confirmed, picking and choosing is kinda unprofessional. Also the ?? weapons are also not consistent.

I'm not an official source, nor is this intended to be your definitive FAQ for class information, so I'm not holding myself to "professional" standards. Some parts are inferences based on screenshots and knowledge of how classes work in Awakening. The point of this topic is to generate conversation concerning what people predict will be done with classes.

But thank you for your input.

^ well then why do the maids have a question mark, while the brave hero promoting from fighter is a bigger inference but doesn't have one.. Also if you want info in the main post why don't you link to the main site as well.

Edited by goodperson707

^ well then why do the maids have a question mark, while the brave hero promoting from fighter is a bigger inference but doesn't have one.. Also if you want info in the main post why don't you link to the main site as well.

Maids/Butlers being tied to Rod Knights is a inference based on Joker and Felicia sharing the Strategist class, which is presumed to be the other promotion from Rod Knights. It's a little shaky but it's an educated guess. I still think it's weird how Elise could promote to Maid considering she is royalty.

As for Fighter promoting to Brave Hero...

dengeki2105-3_zpsrivsq4lx.jpg

This screenshot from Dengeki shows Harold as a Brave Hero, and we know his base class to be (axe) Fighter. Unless he changed his base class before promoting in this screenshot, those two classes are tied.

I'm most confused/intrigued by Leon's dark knight class. Is it a promoted class, or what? If so, why is Leon promoted, when seemingly all the other (non Marx or Ryouma) royal siblings are standard classes? Or is Takumi the Hoshido equivalent of a Sniper? Or are they not sticking to symmetry in this respect since Nohr is the more challenging route?

I'm most confused/intrigued by Leon's dark knight class. Is it a promoted class, or what? If so, why is Leon promoted, when seemingly all the other (non Marx or Ryouma) royal siblings are standard classes? Or is Takumi the Hoshido equivalent of a Sniper? Or are they not sticking to symmetry in this respect since Nohr is the more challenging route?

To be honest, I always thought Takumi was a Hoshido Sniper and I'm not sure why everyone jumped to the conclusion that he was a pre-promote. Maybe people doubted it because Paladin/Trueblade/Dark Knight are promoted classes from earlier titles but "Bowman" is a new/renamed one. I don't know for certain if Dark Knight is still considered promoted but I'm siding with Awakening until something says otherwise.

I'm almost positive that Dark Knight is going to be a base class that just uses Tomes this time

Also I think Songstress will fight like/promote to something similar to the Bride class (I also think she'll get Dragonstones)

Edited by Mysterique Sign

The naming conventions from past Fire Emblem Games are probably not going to carry over as cleanly as they have in the past, like how Shamen and Druids were the Dark Magic classes in the GBA games but were not after wards.

The Fact that Oni seems to be the Hoshindo version of Barbarian for no other reason than to delineate the difference between Hoshindo and Nohr is likely the cause that birthed the glut of new and changed class relations.

I'd like to note that no sign of the Warrior class has been seen. Fighters promote to either Berserker, or Hero now. With how the weapon triangle works now I wouldn't be surprised if they removed it. Plus having the Oni not get any new promotions to itself just doesn't seem right to me.

A Tactician like class would be great to have, but as others have noted there is very little chance it could come back as it was. Heck, there's very little chance of it coming back period if my Warrior logic rings true.

^ i do think it is possible warriors but are not confirmed to be gone. it is highly probable but not confirmed, that brave heroes promote from fighters, i think they do but it is not confirmed.

But i am not sure if we will get a sword tome class. Though maybe we might get a katana/Hoshdian Tome non mounted class promoting from spell caster as nohr seems to have all the horses i kinda like that idea.

Edited by goodperson707

^ i do think it is possible warriors but are not confirmed to be gone. it is highly probable but not confirmed, that brave heroes promote from fighters, i think they do but it is not confirmed.

But i am not sure if we will get a sword tome class. Though maybe we might get a katana/Hoshdian Tome non mounted class promoting from spell caster as nohr seems to have all the horses i kinda like that idea.

True it isn't quite confirmed yet. Warrior kind of seems like it'd be a bit weak this time around without a stat boost though.

Having a sword and tome nonmounted class actually won't be that impressive in this game. It doesn't matter what weapon the unit wields they're still getting messed up by hidden weapons and lances. They have more flexibility in dealing with enemies sure, but they're likely to get nerfed by whatever weapon they wield. Unless such a class had absolutely phenomenal stats it doesn't sound like it'd be impressive this time around.

Personally I could see a sword and tome umpromoted class come back. Really all you'd have to do is replace the horribly broken skills from Awakening's Tactician, rename it to something new (a long time ago I suggested Spellsword), and possibly change the description. Although those last two aren't strictly necessary.

Axe/Bow and Sword/Tome may rest in the same place on the weapon triangle but that doesn't mean their uses are the same. Bows are shaping up to be the most reliable, ranged physical weapons (and effective vs fliers) so they would still compliment an axe user. The difference between Tomes and Swords is even greater because one deals magic damage and the other physical. There is still cause to have warriors/tacticians.

Although not confirmed, it would appear barbarians were cut (as evidenced by Fighters promoting into what used to be the Barbarian exclusive Berserker class) and with Fighters now (apparently) promoting to Berserkers and Heros, Warrior may be cut as well. There is a possibility a Hoshido themed Warrior will be given to Oni, however. Personally, I think Berserker fits Oni a lot better than it does Fighter but I'm not IS.

Doesn't Oni have higher defense than Barbarians do? Maybe they will be closer to Knights in function.

Axe/Bow and Sword/Tome may rest in the same place on the weapon triangle but that doesn't mean their uses are the same. Bows are shaping up to be the most reliable, ranged physical weapons (and effective vs fliers) so they would still compliment an axe user. The difference between Tomes and Swords is even greater because one deals magic damage and the other physical. There is still cause to have warriors/tacticians.

Although not confirmed, it would appear barbarians were cut (as evidenced by Fighters promoting into what used to be the Barbarian exclusive Berserker class) and with Fighters now (apparently) promoting to Berserkers and Heros, Warrior may be cut as well. There is a possibility a Hoshido themed Warrior will be given to Oni, however. Personally, I think Berserker fits Oni a lot better than it does Fighter but I'm not IS.

Doesn't Oni have higher defense than Barbarians do? Maybe they will be closer to Knights in function.

Their uses may not be the same, but it doesn't stop the fact that the sword/tome combo has been nerfed. Maybe bows have been buffed but it doesn't stop the Warrior from getting wrecked by a Tactician. The cause is still there sure, but it's not as powerful as it once was.

Yes Oni have actually appear to have higher defense than Fighters do. Their speed isn't the worst, but it isn't the best either, and they have awful skill. All around they don't like the same unit as either a Fighter, or a Barbarian, and I don't mind. Knight would be the best comparison I guess.