Possibe Black Kingdom Balancing Issues?

Captain Karnage

So after I heard that Black Kingdom will not have a world map it made me concerned that the game may be to difficult.

my cause for concern was that Awakening pretty much required you to grind regularly to get anywhere.

Do you think this can be remedied via bringing back the arena?

are there any more possible balance issues you can think of?

It's not officially confirmed that there won't be a world map yet, we just know that the difficulty is supposedly higher and there will be limited opportunities of gaining EXP and funds. But yeah, even if a world map exists there's a high chance that grinding is disable or made nigh-impossible (capped enemies and all).

And no, you don't need grinding in Awakening to get anywhere, especially in lower difficulties. In higher ones, grinding is pretty much impossible in early-game without DLC and people could still beat them.

Edited by Ryo

Awakening? Requiring grinding? Lunatic and L+ (given some resets for the latter) have been cleared on no grind. Normal is a MU stomp from chapter 4-5-6, Hard from chapter 8 or so.

Yeah, considering past games I'm sure IS knows what difficulty level they want to reach without making it overbearing, and if it still is that's what the Hoshido route appears to be for.

So after I heard that Black Kingdom will not have a world map it made me concerned that the game may be to difficult.

my cause for concern was that Awakening pretty much required you to grind regularly to get anywhere.

Don't fret. They will most likely be a DLC for grinding that'll be accessible, because, (if I'm not mistaken) the EXPonential Growth DLC sold pretty well. Maybe there will be a world map for Nohr, however, no random enemies will appear. That could be a possibility.

Edited by Leif

Grinding wasn't needed for any of the games at all, so Nohr should be fine. I don't think no world map is confirmed, but if Hoshido's getting one, I don't see why Nohr wouldn't. Maybe Hoshido will get the random skirmishes and Annas and Nohr has to buy the reeking boxes and rift doors and manually summon the skirmishes/shops or something? I wouldn't mind arena coming back though.

FE has always been balanced around no grind. Grind was just added to help ease the less experienced players into the game. Even in FE13 L/L+, without purchasing DLC, it is actually incredibly difficult to grind. Skirmishes in 13L/L+ are honestly tougher than regular in-chapter enemies you might as well just not.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I can't really think of any RPGs where you NEED to grind there is always a strat to get past things without grinding you just need to be creative. Actually I take that back maybe the DQ series require you to grind at some points which is why Metal Slimes exist lol.

But ye even on Lunatic/Lunatic+ you didn't need to grind in order to complete the game, If you aren't that great at creating strategies it sure as hell makes it easier though.

I think on the contrary it should probably be easier for them to balance Black Kingdom/Nohr route. If it was literally too difficult to beat it would be immediately noticeable in any playtesting because nobody would get anywhere in the campaign.

Hoshido will be the tougher one for them to balance because some players will grind and others won't. Also Awakening didn't require grinding. With practice, strategy or failing those exploiting the game(powerlevlling Robin, Nosferatu abuse) even the hardest difficulties can be beaten, even Hard Mode could be done without ever using Pair Up or doing any Grinding.

Edited by arvilino

I wonder if "Nohr will be more challenging" will just translate to FE7 levels of difficulty, and not be more difficult than any other no-grinding FE. As said before, no word-map/no easy grinding was the standard for most titles in the series so I'm not concerned with the balancing issues.

I'm sure it will be fine, it just means you can't grind so much that you get ridiculously overpowered and 1-shot everything like Awakening.

Which I admit I'll miss on the Nohr path but its coo'.

Or maybe the Nohr side does have a world map with grinding abilities,but you only get a limited access to this world map,like only in the late game or only every few chapters.

Overall I hope they give us some chance to grind in the nohr map,sure it takes away a bit from the difficulty,but I loved it that i was able to train everyone in awakening and wasn't forced to bench 50% of my characters(I mean where is the point in having so many characters if you don't get to use them anyway?)

As was mentioned previously, the absence of grinding makes it easier to balance the game. With a linear path and a fixed amount of experience available, the developers can determine a relatively narrow range for the levels the player's units are likely at, and adjust the levels and stats of the enemies accordingly. This is how it's been done in almost all of the previous entries. After this initial balancing has been done, things can be tweaked here and there to create the different difficulty settings.

Agreeing with the others that Awakening is not unbeatable without grinding on any of the difficulties. Though on the higher ones it may become unbeatable on no grind if you try to use too many units and spread your exp too thin.

From a single player perspective it shouldn't really be any harder then other fire emblem games without a world map, though if they decide to add in some kind of multiplayer like they had in awakening's streetpass it would cause the people who have a world map to be able to grind for an advantage over those who do not have one, so I could see that being a concern if they decided to bring that feature back.

Yeah, I would hope for some more spotpass/multiplayer features but I'm not sure how it's going to work when one version is able grind and the other isn't, unless they decide to limit online between the two versions which would also be a major bummer.

Maybe after the main story you can level up your units for your spotpass team or whatever form of limited multiplayer there is, unless they completely scrapped the idea.

^lol burn

Pretty sure grinding came first, then the ability for all of your units to reach insanely high caps and uber skill sets happened as a consequence, in turn paving the way for things like Apotheosis to exist

since everyone is asking what difficulty I played on was it Hard and Classic, and I felt the only way to see every thing in the game including children really did require grinding, especially for the DLC maps