How do you pronouce Ginnungagap?

IceBrand

Not entirely sure if this is how you say it correctly (iirc it's from Norse mythology or something), I say it like gei-noon-gah-gap.

edit: the tome is pretty cool imo

Edited by 金

Is it GIN-NUN-GAG-AP?

That's how I pronounce it. I'm not sure if I should pronounce the "GIN" like "Jin" as in the alcoholic beverage or the Arabic spiritual entity, though.

It's pronounced the way it is in Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World for anyone who has played that.

It's "Geh-noon-gah-gawp"

Woo! Glad I'm not the only person who's played this game! :D

But yeah that's the proper way to say it.

It's pronounced the way it is in Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World for anyone who has played that.

It's "Geh-noon-gah-gawp"

Yup, I say Ginnungagap just like Dawn of a New World says as well!

On a related note Ginnungagap means "gaping abyss" or "yawning void", and it's the primordial void from Norse Mythology.

Which is probably why the spell's animation is a black hole.

It's "Geh-noon-gah-gawp"

I knew that that game used the name, but didn't play nearly enough to actually see it used.

It's "Geh-noon-gah-gawp"

Came here to say this. Left surprised someone else played ToS2.

I thought this was the stupidest name for something in the whole game. It basically looks like a random jumble of letters to me.

It's Norse. Since they already have Ragnarok, it kinda fits the theme.

Well, that's the weirdest Norse I've ever seen. :/

I always thought Níðhöggr (or Nidhogg) was the weirdest Norse because I always imagined it to be an underground pig, instead of a dragon/serpent it actually is.

I know that that name is not in any of the games. Or is it?

EDIT: It is the name of one of the Regalia weapons in FE8.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

That's how I pronounce it. I'm not sure if I should pronounce the "GIN" like "Jin" as in the alcoholic beverage or the Arabic spiritual entity, though.

No soft Gs in Old Norse, mate.

G as in good.

Gin-oon-gah-gahp. It means yawning void. Its a part of the Norse creation myth. (perhaps part of the origin of the word "gap/gaping") The fires of Muspel and the ice of Niflheim came together in this void and when they did, it formed the giant Ymir. Ymir kept growing and growing and eventually gods arose. Borr was father to Odin. Odin and his brothers (Vili and Ve) slew Ymir and made Midgard with his parts.

I always thought Níðhöggr (or Nidhogg) was the weirdest Norse because I always imagined it to be an underground pig, instead of a dragon/serpent it actually is.

I know that that name is not in any of the games. Or is it?

EDIT: It is the name of one of the Regalia weapons in FE8.

Hee. The hogg part probably did it, huh? Nidhoggr does chew maliciously on the root of Yggdrasil thats in Niflheim. I always envisioned him as a hog nosed dragon.

I thought this was the stupidest name for something in the whole game. It basically looks like a random jumble of letters to me.

tumblr_inline_o3jf0vtwG21sfkw6b_500.gif

Hee. The hogg part probably did it, huh? Nidhoggr does chew maliciously on the root of Yggdrasil thats in Niflheim. I always envisioned him as a hog nosed dragon.

LOL. Yeah, it was that part. It also didn't help that my first encounter with other mythologies outside of Roman/Greek was through the Persona series so my image of a lot of deities and creatures are influenced by the art therein.

So, more accurately, my image of the Nidhogg was a white, eyeless, buck-toothed underground centipede-pig nibbling on some tree roots.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

tumblr_inline_o3jf0vtwG21sfkw6b_500.gif

Ana just being Ana and Loki just being Loki.

Out of curiosity, what other Norse mythology inspired names have appeared in Fire Emblem? Ginnungagap, Ragnarok, Nidhogg...anything else?

Mjolnir

Balmung of the Azure Sky

Sieglinde

Vidofnir

Siegmund

Ivaldi

Those are just a few.

Essentially, a lot of the Regalia and personal weapons throughout the games. When making up my own personal weapons, I cross-reference between the FE wikia and Wikipedia for names.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Ana just being Ana and Loki just being Loki.

Out of curiosity, what other Norse mythology inspired names have appeared in Fire Emblem? Ginnungagap, Ragnarok, Nidhogg...anything else?

Gungnir, Mjölnir, Tyrfing, Mystletainn, Balmung/Gram, Siegfried/Sigurd, Garm, Gleipnir, Vidofnir, Sieglinde, Siegmond, Audhulma (actually mispelled), and Brynhildr all come from Norse mythology, though I might have missed a few.

Edited by AzureSen

FE4 has quite a bit of Norse. Off the top of my head, other than the ones already listed, Judgral is an allusion--though not a fully correctly spelled one to Ydgrassil. The crusader Baldo is probably referring to Baldr. Bahara => Valhalla. Edda is actually Edda, as in the poetic Edda. Sigurd himself is from Norse mythology.

Sigurd and Siegfried can refer to the same dude--- Siegfried is the Germanic version of the Nordic Sigurd.

No wonder Xander and Sigurd share a drink :P

Holsety is supposed to be Forseti. (the god of rightful law and son of Baldr)

LOL. Yeah, it was that part. It also didn't help that my first encounter with other mythologies outside of Roman/Greek was through the Persona series so my image of a lot of deities and creatures are influenced by the art therein.

So, more accurately, my image of the Nidhogg was a white, eyeless, buck-toothed underground centipede-pig nibbling on some tree roots.

A lot of heathens actually have different details for how they envision Nidhoggr. He is also the closest thing to an actual evil in the mythology/lore. However its treated more like a force of nature than a devil.

Gungnir, Mjölnir, Tyrfing, Mystletainn, Balmung/Gram, Siegfried/Sigurd, Garm, Gleipnir, Vidofnir, Sieglinde, Siegmond, Audhulma (actually mispelled), and Brynhildr all come from Norse mythology, though I might have missed a few.

yeah Audhulma should have been Audhumbla. That one actually left me scratching my head a bit when i got FE8.

Dont forget Lopt/Loptyr! The nefarious demon dragon of FE4. Loptyr is another one of Loki's names in mythology. (i also have a feeling Freege might be some allusion to Frigg, but im not sure.)

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

If it hasn't been made clear already, the first "G" is hard. In one of the games I've kickstarted, Jotun, which is centered around Norse mythology, the narration is actually in some form of Old Norse, and it's pronounced "gi-NOON-gah-gap" in-game. As such, I'll vouch for that pronunciation.