Mewmew Art Land

Mew

it's about time I started one of these I think, since my only contribution to the FE community is art anyways

[spoiler=already released MoH art which you may or may not recognize me for]

ev3rs7.png

Chapter 1 title screen for Klok's game, Medallion of Hope

2h37d42.jpg

aand chapter 2 featuring Arch. more MoH art to come of course but I dunno if I'll get to post it here

[spoiler=recent probably never to be finished stuff]

tumblr_m7lusvjFs61qb593yo1_1280.png

on the left is an idea for a protagonist for my game, and the right is Yoshi's character, Ace

tumblr_m7luw9qnjv1qb593yo1_500.png

Dain, based off of a splice I made that I ended up really liking :3c

[spoiler=aand one last picture which I kind of need help with]

tDCl5.png

and here's a character completely unrelated to fire emblem, my succubus, Cisn, so the large, pushed up boobs are intentional. it'd be super amazing if I could get some crit/suggestions for this one because I'm having trouble pinpointing the problems. I'm not using any photo references so this is likely part of the problem :<

not terribly interested in clogging your tubes with other works I've done, but if you'd like to see more you can go to my website or my deviantart

I'm always incredibly open to and appreciative of critique so feel free to let loose on your misgivings

Edited by Mewiyev

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if the succubus is supposed to be sexy, but her nose is rather large and kind of ugly IMO. Other than the obvious shading problems since this looks incomplete, her face overall looks extremely manly, and otherwise I can't see many specifics to point out.

Dat moh art is the sexy stuff though

b6a181cea427b50e96361281621bc1d7.png?1343569997

Yeah, I'm not going to finish shading it 'til I fix that face. Yoshi helped me with it but it still seems off~ Oh well, I have better stuff to work on

MoH art will happen today

• 4 weeks later...

here's an art post

[spoiler=why not]

2a6e1b7eea78fffd7c3dc22af4744b45.png?1345879656

Got inspired to work on this again today, happy with the face (I took your advice Kdanger :3) but I'm probably going to change the body so she's not just...standing there looking like a bitch with a weird looking neck

c3dc4c6ab04d1e68ba3921db18f44058.png?1345879360

:3c I like LotR

17d8adc935c533764b8fd8f7160a9ad2.png?1345879607

did this awhile back for no reason at all

d05160f387f6c53481d7ca906a2af3ee.png

what I'm currently working on for MoH, already posted this in the MoH thread because Klok asked me to :T first and probably last sci-fi thing ever if I can help it

658156d8199994d43ad5c415154eee4f.png?1345880324

this is the kinda stuff that lives in my sketchbook

• 2 weeks later...

[spoiler=further progress on that demon lady...will i ever finish?!]

b257ef71efe36e8fd32fd9108176d3e8.png?1347174843

[spoiler=illustration I did for school]IxZh2.jpgblah I dunno why the quality is so terrible on this one. I suppose internet does not take lightly to images with a high DPI

[spoiler=and a silly anime Jaffar omg lol I had so much fun drawing this]da71934da91ba03082b00821de0426b6.png

Edited by Mewiyev

• 4 weeks later...

*le double post*

1bNIf.png

MEET OWL MAN because maybe everyone loves superheroes and its not super weird for me to post this on a FE fansite? He's basically a lame version of Batman gadget/action-wise, but he's also less brooding and angry. The legs kind of have me at a stopping point, can't figure out if they're right or not. I've redlined it a few times and it seems fine but something about this really bothers me ggggg maybe someone else can figure out what it is?

Edited by Mewiyev

1bOd1.png

tweaked both legs, kinda did everything aeo mentioned and also thinned them out a little. I don't know what I'm doing but it bothers me less now than it did before '3'

orz I hate legs.

I think they're one of the few things I consciously avoid drawing D: ALL DAT WEIGHT DEy BE HOLDIN

is he audible?

like when he speaks does it sound like he's being choked

if not, he's no batman :>

oop yeah, raspy voice isnt what I have in mind for him. thinking typical manly man voice. he's supposed to be the leader (captain america-ish) of some group of superzeroes--LOL GET IT?--that I may or may not be making

Maybe thin out the inner leg on his right side, but bulk up the outside? It would give him a little more silhouette contrast, I think. I think making his leg muscles more shapely would help a lot, since comic art tends to exaggerate a lot. I love that shaded right arm, though. So slick.

1bPVN.png

Woo yes. I'm surprised at how much of a difference beefing up his legs made, thanks a lot. I could probably even make him a bit more muscular than this. This is so fun and out of my comfort zone~ Now that most of the anatomy seems okay-ish maybe I can try to finish this off.

Edited by Mewiyev

Hm... I know what you mean. I think the super dark shading is kind of flattening the image out since the last instance you posted. The feathered cape is also a little tangential to the hand on the character's right hand. I think the actual silhouette blocked out is pretty good and just needs some sharpening up as you shade to bring out muscle definition. I don't know if it's too late to say much about it, but tilting the head up slightly to show off the underside of the chin might plus up the pose ever so slightly.

• 2 weeks later...

Oops I forgot to respond to what you said, Samias. I think I was sort of irritated with myself for not getting more involved in his actual design before making this, so unfortunately I probably won't work on this until I figure out what the heck I want to do with this superhero idea. I agree with your points though, and the body came out well enough for me to come back to it at some point, so I'll keep those in mind--I especially think that changing the tilt of his head will help a lot. I also think that the dark shading on top of him is just a series of layers so maybe I'll lower the opacity or turn them off, he does kinda lose some of his muscularity from it.

Anyways, here's something brand new. I'm temporarily accepting defeat from painting and going back to my old ways of focusing on lineart 8D

1fFtw.png

Everyone's favorite FE7 lord floating in space with his body cut off, I'm so good at art

I really need to learn how to use Illustrator fffff

Edited by Mewiyev

• 3 weeks later...

[spoiler=huge update]cd2d25653fe41d23fcd4c2bed69af236.png?1352091854

Original ink drawing then photoshopification. A friend of mine likes the original better?? I'd love to hear some thoughts on which one you prefer

Scan%2B10.jpeg

Ink illustration, trying different stuff stylistically cause my art is rather boring

48fb1135e30c01b9078803280102c7f1.png?1352092000

Character design I've had living in my sketchbooks for a while now

a1eedf156686c04428a6d016f306c89c.png?1352092145

Practicing weapons, faces and posing. so terrible at feet omg

342750710f2c3de88e845f58135f85ec.png?1352092438

And here's a piece of something pretty massive I'm working on, where I'm learning that I really should not sketch digitally, it makes the process so much slower.

Thanks for checking out my stuff :)

Whoa, I really love the first two. Personally I think like the coloured version of the 1st one better than the black and white, because of the more detailed lighting, though the cape is getting lost in both versions. I presume your friend may like the ink version better if they get to see the real product, though, since good paper has that magical quality to it that fills you with warm and fuzzies.

And the 2nd one is totally fantastic and I love the diagonal, slightly-off kilter composition. Really dramatic.

I think the 3rd one is a little tougher, since the chest feels flat compared to what you're going for. I like how he's holding the pole and the overall silhouette, but it's kind of halfway between being purposefully flat and looking dimensional. The other pose for him I think is stronger in the core, but it has some hand and feet issues. Both the feet don't feel as planted on the ground as they could be, and the toes seem too short especially on the right foot. The hand at the top of the pole seems a little awkwardly placed and the finger placement doesn't quite feel like its grasping the pole quite yet. I'm liking the face/neck/shoulder area a whole bunch though and they seem to be on the right track.

I'm excited to see what goes on with that last one as you refine it more. I love your colour choices. And I agree about digital sketching being such a drag at times. I draw much faster on paper too, even with a Cintiq tablet as my disposal.

Whoa, I really love the first two. Personally I think like the coloured version of the 1st one better than the black and white, because of the more detailed lighting, though the cape is getting lost in both versions. I presume your friend may like the ink version better if they get to see the real product, though, since good paper has that magical quality to it that fills you with warm and fuzzies.

And the 2nd one is totally fantastic and I love the diagonal, slightly-off kilter composition. Really dramatic.

I think the 3rd one is a little tougher, since the chest feels flat compared to what you're going for. I like how he's holding the pole and the overall silhouette, but it's kind of halfway between being purposefully flat and looking dimensional. The other pose for him I think is stronger in the core, but it has some hand and feet issues. Both the feet don't feel as planted on the ground as they could be, and the toes seem too short especially on the right foot. The hand at the top of the pole seems a little awkwardly placed and the finger placement doesn't quite feel like its grasping the pole quite yet. I'm liking the face/neck/shoulder area a whole bunch though and they seem to be on the right track.

I'm excited to see what goes on with that last one as you refine it more. I love your colour choices. And I agree about digital sketching being such a drag at times. I draw much faster on paper too, even with a Cintiq tablet as my disposal.

Ah thanks~ First two are the newest, today was ink day for me. My friend hasn't seen the original ink drawing, she just likes the really dark lighting for some reason and I completely disagree with her. You're right about the cape, I included it in the original ink drawing before I added a background and it just kind of disappeared. I tried to bring it back out but it works very poorly with the background and makes it confusing, I might just get rid of it entirely. I'm not feeling too motivated though because it's sort of a doopy image in the first place, my character randomly drawing his sword in a cave lolol so deep

The second one is a class assignment, so I got some pro advice from my teacher on the preliminary sketch before I actually went into the ink drawing--he suggested the diagonal composition and it totally worked so well. It's illustrating a story about a guy who gets drunk and murders people too so it works to that as well lol

Aaaand yes, 3rd one was immensely troublesome because I never used a reference and I'm really just a failure at coming up with anatomy out of my head, and it shouldn't have even gotten to that point of semi-completion but I've been in a habit of not finishing art lately so I forced it. Your tip on the chest makes me want to go back and try to give him more definition though, this is something I'd actually really want in my portfolio. The reason for the 4th sketch is because I wanted to try to draw him again using a reference--I'll probably fully render that one like I did the 3rd one if I can get the feet/funky hand looking right.

I dunno why that is about digital sketching though--I don't think I know anyone who does their sketches digitally. It's so cool that you have a Cintiq *_* Did you upgrade from a tablet? Is the difference nebulous? I think we have a Cintiq in the illustration department at school but you have to rent the pen and I have no idea who to rent it from. My tablet is pretty terrible (got a cheap off brand thing) so I'm kind of looking forward to trying out a Cintiq at some point.

At my school we have personal Cintiq workstations, which was an upgrade we only got since last year. Before that, we had a computer lab with Cintiqs but it was pretty much impossible to use them unless you had an assignment that required them. At home I only have a 6"x4"Wacom Graphire4 that I'm pretty sure isn't even produced any more in favour of the Bamboo series. At school, I primarily have been doing my sketches digitally so I don't have to make the long walk down the hallway to the scanner/camera room, plus the tablet allows me to be more ambitious and make a lot of corrections, but even last year, drawing on the computer too much using Photoshop gave me some pretty severe pain in my drawing hand. SAI plops down nicer, crisper lines with less pen pressure so nowadays I don't have that problem and I can almost draw just as fast as paper. Also, wearing one of those thin cotton gloves helps me a ton, since my hand stops sticking to the screen. I just cut the fingers off the thumb and my first two fingers to keep my dexterity. If I animate, the lack of ability to flip drawings quickly makes me prefer paper by a long shot.

As for my experience with tablet vs Cintiq...

For colouring, it doesn't really matter too much. I appreciate the larger workspace of the Cintiq that allows me to do better traceoffs for lineart, though, plus I'm no longer wrestling with the disconnect between what I see on the screen and what my hand is actually doing, so it takes me less attempts to my lines in just the right place. However, the default stand for the Cintiq is kind of crummy and my school actually has extendable arms so I can adjust my screen into a comfortable position, so there's that. Honestly I would love a Cintiq at home just because it speeds up my lineart process by a TON, but there's a lot to be said for drawing things by hand. You still have the awkward plastic-on-plastic feeling, after all. Just, a lot of the industry does work digitally so I have to get used to working on the computer for everything.

There ARE mini Cintiqs now, which I heard from industry people are great because of the mobility factor. I've never personally used one but one of these days I'd like something to replace my home tablet that's been my partner for the past 9 years.

• 1 month later...

54b0934c97d4a9c403af985df1b81527.png

Guess who (he's one of my favorites ever ever), if you're the first person right I'll draw you something of your desire, why not? o3o

This is a quick sketchy thing because wtf nobody told me about the square brush presets in Photoshop. I am in love