Ana's Art Returns!

Anacybele

I think it's just the shoulder and the elbow. Make the forearm lines overlap more and then the shoulder armor should... Well, I'm bad at explaining but it probably shouldn't be jutting off to the side like i t is now. When I have all my stuff after moving I can draw an example.

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I figured I'd drawn that shoulder guard wrong. xP

And don't worry, I'm not the best at explaining things either. But thanks, that sounds good. :) I think I'll also look at Titania, she has her arm raised in her RD artwork. Well, sorta.

Edited by Anacybele

I sent you a PM. I hope it helps! It was just a quick draw-over so maybe you can see what I had changed. It's just a guideline, but I think you have an opportunity to really enhance the depth of the picture too even if you just changed the arm a little bit. You're so close!

I saw. ^^

Thanks so much, Samias, I knew you'd be helpful! I look at your art all the time because I think you do the best combination of dynamic posing and anatomy. Glad to know that I'm close with this character though! :3

Gonna make the corrections in Photoshop outlining. That might be easier for me given how much I've smudged up the sketch. xP

Okay, using your sketch-over, Samias, I came out with this for the lineart! some of it's a tad messy, but I'll fix that later. I'm trying to alternate between brush and pen tool so I can get more variety in my line widths.

EliotLineart_zpsgcrcnpnn.png

I didn't use every correction, you're right, but I used as many of them as I could! I do like the result. ^^

Edited by Anacybele

Yay! I have you to thank, though. :) You're one of my favorite artists as well, I'm glad you've taken the time to help me! I really appreciate it, Samias. ^^

Now time for me to get coloring!

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a WIP! (that means work in progress. :P)

IkeElinciafamily10thWIP_zpsdoqoeqpt.png

This is for Tellius's 10th anniversary, a well as FE's 25th. ^^ It's a look at my Ike x Elincia family, in a scenario where Elincia has left her royal life behind to watch over her country as a commoner instead of a queen (as well as from afar since Ike left and she would've had to go find him).

I did this for Tellius's 10th because I could make it one big giant pun! If Ike and Elincia are married for ten years here, which they are, that gives more meaning to the piece. :3 I'm not really good at aging characters though... But I did my best to make them look ten years older than their RD selves.

Their two children are Kael and Lalita. Ike is 20 in RD, and he marries Elincia at least a year after its end (since my fic takes place then), that makes him 31 here. Elincia is likely the same age if not maybe a year younger. Kael is born a year after their marriage, and Lalita comes three years later, making Kael nine years old here and Lalita six. Not quite sure if they look their ages here either. I used the kid portraits from RD as a reference and we don't really know how old they are, so... But Kael and Lalita do look like children at least, lol. And Lalita looks younger, I think.

Btw, this is also the first glimpse we get of Lalita, as I've already made a sprite mug of Kael at age 17. :)

The line cutting off everyone at the bottom is going to be a table, and on the table will be anniversary stuffs. Of course, Elincia's gift to Ike is a meaty meal. XD And Kael is all "MEAT!" He didn't quite get his dad's appetite, but he did get his love of meat. ;3

I sat Lalita on Ike's shoulder because why not? Ike's so strong, and a little girl with a dad like him ought to enjoy that! Unfortunately for him though, Lalita becomes one of those always-at-odds-with-Dad teenage girls (much like my Awakening OC, Antoinette, actually...haha). lol Good thing Kael pretty much wants to be Ike 2.0!

So, I love how this has turned out so far, but anything that needs fixing? Elincia's arms might be a tad too short... I dunno how I had so much trouble with them. >_< The background will be the kitchen, btw, so ideas for that are welcome too. :)

Edited by Anacybele

Cuteness overload!

The only thing that looks a little off is Lalita, idk if that's the right sitting on shoulder pose, she kinda looks like she was drawn separately and then stuck there. But I would have no idea how to fix it if it was. Maybe Samias should look at it.

Lol, Kael looks like he's about to take a chicken leg or something and stick it in his mouth xD I bet Ike let him chew on pork chops when he was a baby. I used to do that when I was that age, actually...

Huh, she was drawn right there on his shoulder, I didn't do her on a separate part of the canvas or anything. I might have adjusted her position a little, but that's it. Ike's arm wasn't drawn yet though, I needed to draw Lalita first so I would know exactly where to put Ike's hand so he'd hold onto her. But this was the first time I ever drew someone sitting on someone else's shoulder, so I really can't expect it to be perfect already. xP

You used to chew on pork chops? lol I guess I should have Ike let Kael do that too then. XD

Thanks! :)

Background stuffs! ^^

IkeElinciafamily10thWIP_zps2gikhttj.png

I also rotated Kael's body a little. I thought something about him was off and figured out why. :P He looks more dynamic this way too, I think!

But I did my best to make this look...well, medieval with a liiiittle bit of modern mixed in. I always felt that FE's tech and all was somewhat more advanced than that of our own medieval ages, so yeah. I mean, magic exists in the FE world, so FE people can do a lot of things that couldn't be done in real life medieval times.

When I color this though, much of the kitchen is going to be made of wood and the jars made of clay and such. But I've thought that Ike and Elincia would get a pretty nice home compared to the usual stuff we see in FE because Azura, the lord character of my fic, would definitely give them one for all the help they gave her.

And Ike gave Elincia roses and a heart-shaped locket while she cooked him all the meat he could ever want (not all of it can be seen here, of course)! Haha. Food is actually kind of hard to draw, so apologies if it looks a bit sloppy (the fruit bowl included). Those roses were a pain to do too...ugh.

Edited by Anacybele

the line art is clean, and the anatomy is fine, but the drawing seems to be 2 dimensional in areas, i mean the meat looks like pieces of paper, and the plate looks like a circle drawn on the table, and the back table just seems kinda off putting in my mind, and though other areas seem al right in there perspective the other areas bring an offsetting parallel, and your obviously trying to not draw a picasso so it might be something to look into. perspective seems to be something you struggle with sometimes as a lot of your drawings have bad or sub par perspective, and though being subdued in some types of art is fine, in anime it usually helps to have strong dynamism in your drawings, another thing you seem to struggle with as a lot of your drawings come off as rather stiff.

Of course the image looks two dimensional now, it's not shaded or even colored. :/

The plates are mostly covered by food, I don't know how else they would appear except for "circles drawn on the table."

...I also don't get why you're bringing up perspective, as this isn't a perspective drawing. Trust me, I know how perspective works, my art teacher back in high school thought I was the best in class at it. And she was a professional artist herself (she showed us some of her work, and good gods, was it incredible stuff).

I apologize, but you're whole post just confuses me. Except for the dynamics part, I do realize that that's been one of my weak points. But I've been working on that. I feel that I managed to draw the characters somewhat less stiff than before this time. Might not be perfectly dynamic, but still.

Ribs. lol

I guess they don't look too much like ribs uncolored and among a bunch of other lines and white spaces. :P But I did remember to draw twelve bones in them! Ribs always seem to come with twelve bones in each set.

Ana, could you please change your avatar? It makes me cringe every time I see it.

No, I want my shirtless Ike, thank you. :P I WILL eventually touch that up though, I realize it still needs work.

Yay, Brendor recognized the ribs!

when i said the plates look like circles on the ground i meant they look like paper, not like plates, as does the meat. also don't put your faith in what a high school art teacher says even if there and actual artist, if there teaching high school art classes, there most likely not that great of an artist, a competent one sure but most likely not the greatest of artists, also art is taught poorly in the grade school curriculum so really even more reason to not have faith in high school art classes.

as for the perspective the table in front of the family has a completely different angle to it then the counter in the back, with the one in front we can see the top of the table and yet in the back all we can see is one of the sides of the table? it makes it look like part of the wall paper not an actual part of the house. also the background in the window looks and im sorry i have to say this, really bad, though the tree and wall are constructed well enough to be identified as such they lack any life to them, and they don't even look like there part of the landscape instead looking like cut-out stickers pasted on the wall (trees have roots and even then there usually in the ground not on top of it.) and again the way there positioned changes the angle when looking towards the horizon, colour can fix things in a drawing true it can only fix so much. also the style of the house screams more modern apartment then old timey fantasy log cabin, and it clashes with the fact there still wearing there old timey fantasy cloths.

all in all you defiantly have a concept for a drawing here but its lost by poor construction (not the worse ive ever seen but im sure you can do better dammit) and it comes off as lazy. if your really determined to turn this into a more professional looking piece id recommend redrawing it, because as it is now it comes off as lazy.

Perspective have to do with everything, though. You draw a person, the way certain limbs look the way they do? Perspective. Hold their hand out in front of them? Perspective. Its importance becomes more pronounced whenever you do a piece with any sort of environment, however.

Depth can be conveyed in a line drawing using variation of line weight. Generally, you want objects that look more solid to have heavier lines, while lighter objects with lighter lines. Googling up some tutorials would be more help more than me if you want to look further into this subject, since I'm more of a painter--though in painting we have a similar idea: closer edges of an object tend to be more sharply defined while further edges tend to be more blended.

Edited by Thor Odinson