Othin Plays FE13!

Othin

FE13 came in the mail today, and I've spent the hour since then playing through the first four maps. Thoughts so far: it's fucking amazing.

The story is certainly starting off fast; of course that was obvious from the Intermission video but even the main story seems to have stuff happening quickly. Each character getting a lot of attention is also a good sign, even though I barely understand any of what they're saying yet. The graphics are also beautiful; my only complaint is that the map sprites sometimes look like they're floating.

However, I'm mainly basing my opinion of it so far on the gameplay. I decided to start on Normal Mode, which is pitifully easy: enemies start off using Bronze weapons, which sometimes fail to even scratch Krom. However, knowing how much more difficult it gets in the future, I'm not too worried. What gets my attention more is the options. The support system really does add thought with character placement to get those bonuses, and the Double system is fantastic. The main character I'm not interested in using so far is Frederick, since he's overpowered and boring, so I've been sticking him onto random characters for decent Def bonuses and even +1 Move to unmounted characters.

There's a lot to try with it so far: I've been having him guard Liz, which helps her worry less about taking attacks and to reach characters more easily to heal him, but I can also pass him to other characters to give them a Move bonus if necessary. When Vake joined without a weapon, I had him hop onto Viole to give him +4 Str, and after he got an axe to hit things with, I later had him do it again when he couldn't reach enemies. Right now, it's mostly just fun tricks to play around with since the enemies are no real threat, but in the meantime, it's enough to keep things livelier, and I can tell it'll be much more important when I play the harder modes.

I'll keep using this as a log of my progress and to post more thoughts as I progress further. In the meantime, I can try to answer any questions anyone is wondering about. As my work on the Berwick Saga section should indicate, I'm crafty enough and obsessive enough to dig up all sorts of answers to even the most obscure questions.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Biggest question: is the music great, amazing, or best ever? I was getting an FFT vibe from the trailers, and I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

Edited by Geriba

Could you try to do some weird class changes like General Sumia?

No promises. I'm probably going for the more natural-feeling class changes when possible, like Soiree going Cavalier --> Great Knight --> Dragonmaster. But we'll see depending on how many class changes I wind up making and what options they wind up having.

How many bandit chapters?

Just one so far, the Prologue. Based on checking enemy data on other sites, I don't remember seeing more, at least in the main story chapters.

Biggest question: is the music great, amazing, or best ever? I was getting an FFT vibe from the trailers, and I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

It's really good, but there hasn't been much of a cut for the best tunes yet, so it's hard to say for sure.

Will Barbarians and thieves work well together?

I'm not aware of any particular synergy, and I don't yet have any characters of either class.

Glad to hear you have positive early impressions. About how fast do Support Levels increase? Just curious about them

I'm already seeing some characters getting the +10 Avo from supports indicating a C support, so pretty fast, it seems.

Is it better than Berwick Saga?

Can't say yet.

What I can say is that it seems to be matching up with my hopes that it would surpass all past FE games. Matching up to TearRing Saga and Berwick Saga is its next challenge, and we'll have to see about that.

Less a question, and more a request, (Lord knows you're being inundated with them either way, so feel free to ignore this as I imagine this thread will be filled with them soon).

Just prior to attaining S support, could you note things pertaining to the parents? Namely classes used at the time of S support, and both the order of skills earned and what skills were equipped. I'd like to know if child alt class choices are in flux or not, and what determines skill inheritance.

I expect you'll be attempting to record everyone's stat caps, in the hopes to figure out how it works, which is the main thing I'm curious about.

Also: How do growth rates seem? Higher than normal? Or is it too difficult to tell yet?

It looks like I spoke too soon. Enemies are hitting harder and I'm being forced to bring limited teams, already had to reset a couple of times. Played through Ch3/4, and also Ga1. Ga1 is another bandit chapter, but being optional, I don't think it's a huge concern.

Also, after completing Ga1, what looked like a group of monsters showed up. I ignored it; don't feel like bothering with skirmishes, but it looks like there are monster battles available without paying. Quantities may be limited, though.

Less a question, and more a request, (Lord knows you're being inundated with them either way, so feel free to ignore this as I imagine this thread will be filled with them soon).

Just prior to attaining S support, could you note things pertaining to the parents? Namely classes used at the time of S support, and both the order of skills earned and what skills were equipped. I'd like to know if child alt class choices are in flux or not, and what determines skill inheritance.

According to Vincent, the children inherit all class sets available, with gender-specific classes being replaced. I'll see if I can verify this, though, and I'll also check out whatever I need to to figure out skill inheritance.

Don't worry about too many questions. Chances are, after hearing about any unknown matter, I'll be even more curious than you are about it.

I expect you'll be attempting to record everyone's stat caps, in the hopes to figure out how it works, which is the main thing I'm curious about.

Also: How do growth rates seem? Higher than normal? Or is it too difficult to tell yet?

I don't think I'll need to go that far to figure out the caps. I may be able to work out almost all the base caps just from the information we have already, but I'll definitely post any other caps I hit to try to figure out more details and verify things.

Growth rates seem higher for the most part.

Did you get any of the spotpass units yet? And can you buy Marth DLC?

No SpotPass yet. I haven't set up an internet connection with this 3DS yet, so I don't think I'll be able to access the DLC until I do, and SpotPass may have the same issue; not entirely sure how it works. I'll set up the internet eventually, but my first priority right now is playing the game.

Is it possible to turn off the annoying grunts during dialogue......

Have you poked around in the Options menu? I'm sure there's something that will do it.

I don't mind them, personally.

Sort of off topic but Othin do you maybe know how long play asia takes to restock the game?I was unlucky enough to order it today and it was out of stock and i wanna know how long i have to wait

On topic :how is normal mode compared to radiant dawn(or any other FE for that matter) normal?

Can you play a skirmish sometime and check if you can obtain special treasure/villages are open in them? Also, does your fame bonus rise from playing them? That was my initial hunch.

The DLC map has rare items and you can keep playing and obtaining them over and over. Kouli on Gamefaqs said he already had 5 Thunder Swords by Chapter 11 and he also got a Hammerne from the DLC map.

Can you play a skirmish sometime and check if you can obtain special treasure/villages are open in them? Also, does your fame bonus rise from playing them? That was my initial hunch.

I played that one and got 1000 gold and Elwind. Even after playing that and Ch5, however, no new skirmishes have yet shown up.

No indication of fame, either. I think that comes from Dual Tags and related stuff. On the other hand, weird items seem to be showing up randomly from stepping on these spots with sparkles. I just had Callum pick up Inverse's Darkness, a high-level dark spell, from a sparkly spot in Ga2, which is ridiculous for this point in the game, even though I can't use it yet. MU died so I had to reset, so we'll have to see if it's still there on the next attempt or if it's replaced with something new.

Sort of off topic but Othin do you maybe know how long play asia takes to restock the game?I was unlucky enough to order it today and it was out of stock and i wanna know how long i have to wait

On topic :how is normal mode compared to radiant dawn(or any other FE for that matter) normal?

No idea, sorry. I'm not even sure they know.

It's been quite a while since I've played any other FE on Normal. I'd think at least now I could handle those this far without any deaths/resets, which isn't the case with FE13, so it's at least as hard as other Normal modes, I think.

Edited by Othin