Favorite GBA Fire Emblem game

OrangeCrush980

217 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite GBA FE?

• FE6 / Sword of Seals / Fuuin no Tsuruji
    • FE7 / Blazing Sword / (no subtitle)
    • FE8 / Sacred Stones

FE7 was my gateway game, and much like my other gateway games to other series (RE2, FFVIII, Suikoden II, Tales of Destiny), it'll always have a special place in my heart. Of the 3 GBA games, FE7 has the most well-developed story, especially since the plot was a little different versus the other two, which are variations of the "Rebels vs Empire" formula. The characters were also a lot more memorable, especially versus the vast majority of FE6 characters, and the relatively boring half of FE8 characters (but the other half of the FE8 characters are awesome).

Gameplay-wise, FE8 is indeed easy, and it had less chapters than FE6 or FE7, and it doesn't have any side chapters, and the whole monsters bit probably deviated too much from the formula from the previous 2 games. But I really enjoy playing FE8, and there's a lot more moments of fun than tedium in FE8 than there was in FE6 and FE7 for me. Moreover, I've played FE8 for at least twice as long as I played either FE6 or FE7. That's because the things that made it different (Skirmishes, Creature Campaign, branching Promotions) made the game a lot more engaging for me. Moreover, because your resources are not so scarce as the previous games, there's a lot more leeway in experimenting with all the units. For comparison, while I usually have around 6-10 maxed out units in other FE's, everyone in FE8 on my file is maxed out. Why? Because the game allowed me to, without having to restart the entire thing all the way from the prologue.

Edited by Keiya

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Ah, typical. I always choose the least popular things; I swear. It used to be seven, but... I think six's plot got me more. I'm kind of divided between the two, though. I do still love eight, but I think it was Roy and Eliwood that got me most in their respective games. I wasn't too fond of the twins in eight. I liked them, certainly, but their personalities weren't a perfect match for me.

Edited by You Know Shinon's God

I liked FE7's long campaign, it wasn't too short and easy like FE8, but wasn't as hard as FE6 (Plus Roy's Promotion, ughh). Eliwood and Hector seemed like a stronger cast of lords, and the characters were more developed than FE6. The villain Nergal seemed more interesting than Zephiel, and although to some Lyon is arguably better, he didn't get as much screem time as Nergal. My vote goes to FE7, it was the first one I played anyway.

To give something to FE6, it did have some artistically creative maps, but they didn't work as well in gameplay.

And for FE8, I did like branched promotions, if I could have turned Sain into a great knight, or Rebecca into a Ranger, I would have liked it better.

Edited by Knight

FE6 is my favorite Fire Emblem. I love the cast, I like the story, I like the politics (the Etruria sub-plot is really good) and I even like Roy (could promote earlier though). I also like that it's difficult enough without being as frustrating as FE5. FE7 is pretty good too and it's not super easy either, but to me it only starts to get actually interesting from the chapter Ninian joins onwards because Darin is such a boring sub-villain.

FE8 is too easy even on Hard Mode, the story is pretty boring aside of some Lyon moments, and the cast isn't very interesting - Eirika is probably the least interesting lord of the franchise. I love many things about it though, such as the variety of monsters, and the branched promotions, and I wish those elements would be used in a better game (and without a world map). FE13 has branched promotions but it still has a world map, and either way I think I won't like FE13 - the artwork turns me off so much (yes, stupid reason, I know).

My first game was FE8. I really like the cast and story. I also liked the gameplay features like split promotions and a world map and I was sad to know that the other games don't have this.

I really like FE7's plot too. The cast is a hit and miss for me. I really like Eliwood, Lowen, Oswin, Karel, Hector, Jaffar, Legault and a few others but the rest seemed boring.

As for FE6, the plot felt like a retelling of Shadow Dragon which I had played before so I couldn't get into it a lot. The cast bored me to tears. But Zephiel was cool.

• 6 months later...

FE7 of course!

It was my very first FE game and i have so many nice and sad memories of it (NINIAAN!! Q__Q)

Also the fact that YOU could be the tactician of them was very nice, the choice which difficulty you want to play after your first run was pretty nice and your tactician ranking of course.

I really like the most characters in this game and hate only a few very much (Rath...>__>;), the story was also very awesome and interessting for me.

I like FE8 and FE6 too, but this was my first FE game and is the mean fact why i love it soo much ^^;