FE4 first playthrough

sunshineYON

It affects your rank at the end of the game, I think. But it doesn't affect gameplay at all, except you can't access shops and stuff from it anymore.

EDIT: So that's why my money increases randomly between chapters.

Edited by Baldrick

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys.

Some more observations now that I'm about halfway through the game.

This game has major balancing issues. Swords weigh 1-5ish, and the other weapons in the triangle weigh 12+ this wouldn't be much of an issue if there was constitution in this game. I don't know the exact numbers for tomes, but they suffer similar issues. Another aspect of brokenness comes from classes forced to be weapon locked/fixed weapon rank. This and the fact that there is absolutely no penalty in abusing the legendary weapons(you can fixed them, even after reaching 0 uses) make characters like Briggid with her Ichival, etc. completely broken. She's in a whole different league, than say, Noish, where she can take out a whole legion of enemies(if positioned just right) vs. some of the shittier characters like Alec that take 5 rounds to finish off an enemy if alone. Don't get me started on the movement thing...

As for the positive side of things

This game's OST is slowly creeping up to become my favorites in the series. I love the different tracks per map, and they are all spectacular. I disliked a lot of the GBA map tracks, there were about 3 out of the entire GBA games that I liked, and this is a welcome change.

I found the balance problems in FE4 noticeable as soon as the first map, but the Shin patch (You can find it on the first page of the ROM hacking section) solves almost all of them. Be warned that the difficulty has also been upped considerably, to the point where the Holy weapons feel like necessitates at times.

Just started my first playthrough as well. Looked into who to pair with who, mostly since I knew there were a couple of things here and there that made that particularly important, the others aren't as important. Still, I share your frustrations. I love the increased map size, in the long run at least. It's fun to go through such a massive map, and having to take multiple castles is quite fun too. It really feels... well, like a war. I also like the idea of the generation thing (haven't actually reached that point, but it's a neat idea). However, I mostly feel... eh, the gameplay is fun, but the mass clumps of enemies gets kind of old to deal with, and I'm only on the first chapter (Aira/Ira was a pain to get, I didn't think I'd get attacked, so had to restart from my earlier save file. Figured there was a chance she might though so I saved right before I moved. Gave me time to fix it, but she came back down real fast once I headed for the castle, which caught me off guard). I don't... dislike the limited trading, but I wish thieves could trade items too. First time around I killed the Hand Axe drop guy with Sigurd, and having to redo it so Lex can get it is kind of silly. Dew seems really helpful, if just as a money lending guy, but his lack of power and lack of Pursuit is kind of old. Overall though I would probably enjoy the game with a little more tweaks (drop mounted units to seven as opposed to eight, road bonus to infantry only would be good starts for the movement issue). Eh, rambling, but overall I'd say I like a lot of what I see the potential of, just some of it doesn't work as well as I'd like.

Lol, totally forgot about Holsety, and Jamka died, normally I would reset but seeing how he wasn't going to father anyone and it is nearing the end of gen I, I figure I'd let him go.

I'd figure I'd start putting spoiler tags around stuff seeing as some ppl are also going through their first playthrough and browsing this thread.

So the game first take away my Lenster peeps in chapter 4, now it slaughters them before my eyes. This game is sadistic. Chapter 5 really gives you a sense of hopelessness and anger, due to Diadora being with Alvis, fucking Ethlin and Cuan getting quicksanded, etc. I kind of love/hate it. :P

Quick Q: If parents to gen II children are already married, and then dies, do you get their children in gen II? This is assuming once the characters marry, they will immediately bear children, or is it only between chap 5 and 6 that the children are conceived? Of course, this is excluding Celice, Leaf, etc.

Quick Q: If parents to gen II children are already married, and then dies, do you get their children in gen II? This is assuming once the characters marry, they will immediately bear children, or is it only between chap 5 and 6 that the children are conceived? Of course, this is excluding Celice, Leaf, etc.

If the mother dies at any point, married or not, that's it, you're getting the substitutes.

Not 100% sure on this, but after marrying a woman, I think the father can die and his wife will still bear the children.

Noticed a small continuity error in Chapter 5 if anyone is interested.

After Shanan and Oifey escaped to Isaac, I let Lex promote at the main castle... guess who was there to promote him? Oifey :|

Edited by goopy

Oh, that's hardly a bother once you've played the game in English already. None of the menus are radically different, enough items are in Katakana that anyone can make out their name, and TheEnd has resources translated for a handful of them as well (though possibly slightly out of date).

So not only do you already know the placement of all options, you also know how to manage the game without ever reading any text. So all you have to worry about is the new text that gets added--and apart from story (make up your own!), the Kana part has you covered :)

It really is quite a treat if you ever do give it a shot.

Dude ,if he's having trouble with the original i doubt he'd want to play a hack . They all become brutally hard once you get to the bridge in chapter 10. The nier patch was the worse ; if not for arthur and sety's sister I could have never get through it.

Chapter 5 is probably my favorite chapter of the entire series, story wise. I somehow remained spoiler free up to that point and...well, it was pretty intense. I agree about the music, as well. Chapter 2 and 3 in particular get stuck in my head often.

I'm with on this. I often try to explain this chapter to people but they just don't understand.

I also missed out on the Hero Axe, but my Lex promoted in the middle of chapter 3.

On chapter 5 right now, and I must say, FE4 is building up in awesomeness. If only I wasn't spoiled about what happens after... dry.gif

I also missed out on the Hero Axe, but my Lex promoted in the middle of chapter 3.

On chapter 5 right now, and I must say, FE4 is building up in awesomeness. If only I wasn't spoiled about what happens after... dry.gif

I mainly used Lex for support. I gave Ayra a leg ring. She and Sigurd soaked up most of the exp. Ya, spoilers sux, dunno why ppl go out of their way to spoil themselves of FE13 or any other thing, but whatever floats your boat.

Edited by goopy

I'm trying to stay away from any FE13 information, but the urges are tempting...

Levin right now has the Leg Ring, and since he and Fury are lovers, he can keep up with her.

If only I wasn't spoiled about what happens after... dry.gif

yeah, please don't get spoiled in the process of playing. You're only really stealing your own enjoyment.

back in my day we didn't play games with guides glued to our faces--we called that reading, not playing games

If needs be you can use Celice to defeat Julius. It takes longer but it gets the job done. Also I guess it depends on how stronger your Celice is too. Might have to use a power ring.

Celice is lvl 30 with maxed out Str, though several of his stats are below average. Money is tight repairing Tyrfing and Lana can't help much in the gold department, hopefully I have enough for Tyrfing and a Power Ring.

You could have Patty give him some cash if she has any. If Patty has lover you could use him to give all his money to Patty and in return have Patty give it to Celice.

Is a level 15 Julia enough to engage Julius?

She was such a pain to raise up, I just benched her after a while. Didn't realize that she was instrumental in defeating Julius D:

Once she has Narga, you can try running her through the arena for some levels. That should hopefully get her to promotion at least, and you could rig some healing, right? I seem to recall having her off Yuruis at about level 20 before, after one run just ignored her.

you can have a base level yuria off yurius

takes a bit more luck, but she's perfectly capable assuming a little bit of RNG cooperation

Edited by Camtech

Good idea, Shanan the beast can give Patty all of his dough, then transfer that to Celice, or I can do the arena thing with Julia, I forgot that Narga will probably at least make going through the arena a breeze.

I just figured out that you can save multiple times if no one moved... at this point in the game. I am faile.