Fuzz94's Sprite Gallery

fuzz94

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uhhh the only way Usenti messes with colour values is to:

a) occasionally round the colours so they match up with GBA colours (i.e. it rounds their RGB values so they're multiples of 8), and

b) if you have 8 million colours in one image, it'll bleed them into each other because it can only take so many colours (256 per image) So if you want to compare sprites you can't use like, a sheet with 8 million portraits on it, you have to open it as a separate image.

For any sort of GBA graphics work, Usenti is a much better utensil.

For any sort of GBA graphics work, Usenti is a much better utensil.

Why, because it has a bunch of "nifty" options and tools? :P

Paint is simple, paint has all of what you need, paint works fine.

If Usenti is so amazing, he shouldn't have had any trouble with the skin tones, there :3

I've been doing this stuff for about three years, I think I know which programs are good for it ;D

(so here's a nice list: Microsoft Paint, GIMP (for those who don't mind the RAM usage), Paint.net, GraphicsGale, and for the Mac users, pirate some Photoshop.)

Kiddies, anyone who says you needs more than Paint is just trying to be fancy. It has all you need, you just need to know how to use it.

Just wanna add, Jubby, let's not get into any sort of debate as to which is better in Fuzz's topic. If you wanna discuss it, throw a PM at me ;3

Edited by seph1212

Actually, GIMP is probably the best option, it uses indexed palettes, you can recolor every instance of a single color in one go, you can make it 16 colors with posterize, etc.:P All the extra tools Usenti has and not as bitchy as Usenti. :)

It works fine for me but it's kinda hit and miss whether when starting it up, it'll actually work (sometimes it randomly stops responding when it's loading brushes and whatnot) but aaaaaah topic derail (Sorry! D:)

I use paint for the actual spriting/splicing because paint does everything I need to it to.

I only use Usenti for mass recoloring the 16 colors bit so the sprites actually can be inserted.

I dont care about getting off topic because those are some programs I might want to try in the future when I get better at this

(so here's a nice list: Microsoft Paint, GIMP (for those who don't mind the RAM usage), Paint.net, GraphicsGale, and for the Mac users, pirate some Photoshop.)

Hey, Gimp works on most macs, just not mine, since mine hates a lot of things apparently :P

PS is great for this as far I've used it, though. Probably not worth pirating JUST for spriting (since it takes a lot of harddrive space for one program and theres so many more things you could use PS for instead of just spriting) but I love the options it offers for spriting. Contiguous selection/fill, Swatches for keeping track of palettes, and index colours for cutting things down to 16. Who even needs Usenti with that? Gimp might be able to do this too, but idu Gimp.

But yeah MS paint is fine, really. Gimp/PS's layers and other nice stuff is a nice touch, but it isn't mandatory. Makes things a lot easier IMO but I'm not used to not having layers having worked with PS for a very long time.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Kiddies, anyone who says you needs more than Paint is just trying to be fancy. It has all you need, you just need to know how to use it.

For once, i agree with you. I really dont see the need for anything fancier when it comes to spriting.