Editing the FE6 Patch

Popo

82 members have voted

1. 1. Should the name "Miledy" be kept or retranslated to something else?

2. 2. Should the name "Yuno" be changed to "Juno"?

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, any chance there could be a separate patch without the blinking sprites? It's not really imperative to me, but it would be nice.

Anyway, I was thinking of something--will any of the character names be changed? For example, Yuno->Juno.

Also, "Niime" should be "Nimue," pronounced [NIM-way]. The name comes from Arthurian Legend--she's the person who sealed Merlin under a rock... or cave. I have my opinions on other names as well.

So Superluigi disappeared off the face of the earth... and I had trouble finding the FE6 Remake patch...

I'm doing this for the GBA Crit Collection Remake... but yeah...

FE6Remake.png

Just putting this here.

So, any chance there could be a separate patch without the blinking sprites? It's not really imperative to me, but it would be nice.

Anyway, I was thinking of something--will any of the character names be changed? For example, Yuno->Juno.

Also, "Niime" should be "Nimue," pronounced [NIM-way]. The name comes from Arthurian Legend--she's the person who sealed Merlin under a rock... or cave. I have my opinions on other names as well.

1. Blinking sprites are no longer part of the project.

2. No names are being changed.

1. Blinking sprites are no longer part of the project.

2. No names are being changed.

1. Really? That's almost kind of disappointing.

2. Even though some of them are kinda... wrong? Oh well. The current ones work, I guess.

2. Even though some of them are kinda... wrong? Oh well. The current ones work, I guess.

1. Unless Cam really DOES go through with joking around about the ASM, then there's kinda no point. XD

2. Care to elaborate? Translation is an art... and well, they're all subject to interpretation. For example, "Ray" is pronounced the same way as his official spelling of "Lleu" in Welsh... Yet people have the annoying tendency to keep editing one of the Fire Emblem Wikis to "Ray" despite being against the wishes of the Wiki admin.

1. Unless you want to make the sprites and then worry about integrating them... ;3

2. Changing the names will open up a huge can of wank that I don't feel like getting involved in. >:

i truly do not feel like trudging through the asm code that goes about grabbing the frames from memory and then displaying them on-screen, then finding a way to port it

i truly do not feel like trudging through the asm code that goes about grabbing the frames from memory and then displaying them on-screen, then finding a way to port it

I can understand your motives.

By the way, there are a couple of things I've noticed that I think need changing.

1. One of the R-Button descriptions for one of the classes has a bug with the text box. (Or it may be a name.) The text goes too far off the text box, and then the border gets all funky-looking, with patches of blue. I wish I knew which description triggered this bug, but I can't seem to find it. I think it may have been Nomad or Nomadic Trooper.

2. The intro text has been removed, but the translators never figured out how to translate and reinsert it. (This is the text in the opening movie.)

3. Cecilia's text in the tutorial is all kinds of messed up. The text box is way too large for the text inside it, and a lot of the text is way too small.

I don't want to be telling you what to do, especially since I'm not the one editing the patch, but I just wanted to let you know.

Actually, I remember a really messed up bug happening to me.. In the Ilia route, chapter 17, I think, the text for the chapter name gets all scrambled :( That's probably more of a hacking thing but just thought I'd mention it, it was reeeeally glitchy.

I can understand your motives.

By the way, there are a couple of things I've noticed that I think need changing.

1. One of the R-Button descriptions for one of the classes has a bug with the text box. (Or it may be a name.) The text goes too far off the text box, and then the border gets all funky-looking, with patches of blue. I wish I knew which description triggered this bug, but I can't seem to find it. I think it may have been Nomad or Nomadic Trooper.

2. The intro text has been removed, but the translators never figured out how to translate and reinsert it. (This is the text in the opening movie.)

3. Cecilia's text in the tutorial is all kinds of messed up. The text box is way too large for the text inside it, and a lot of the text is way too small.

I don't want to be telling you what to do, especially since I'm not the one editing the patch, but I just wanted to let you know.

Thanks for pointing this stuff out. If editing these types of descriptors requires the regular text editor, it shouldn't be a problem to fix them. :3

Actually, I remember a really messed up bug happening to me.. In the Ilia route, chapter 17, I think, the text for the chapter name gets all scrambled :( That's probably more of a hacking thing but just thought I'd mention it, it was reeeeally glitchy.

I experienced this as well. Does anyone know if this happens at other points during the game? I only saw it on this chapter. Hopefully it won't be hard to fix. :3

Thanks for pointing this stuff out. If editing these types of descriptors requires the regular text editor, it shouldn't be a problem to fix them. :3

I experienced this as well. Does anyone know if this happens at other points during the game? I only saw it on this chapter. Hopefully it won't be hard to fix. :3

Feels like it's a bug that is apparent in the patch itself. Probably a screwed up Graphics pointer somewhere.

Shouldn't be that hard AT ALL to fix.

Saw this while looking up "brigand with a bow" videos: A couple of arena dialogue is swapped. Here it's "good luck" followed by "press B to yield", when it's the other way around in 7 and 8.

Probably too minor to bother with (just like the "wait/end" and "sister/cleric" stuff), but I still gotta mention it anyway.

hmm that could actually just be direct translation, and then in FE7 and 8 they reversed it. If consistency is an issue though it might be better to go with the FE7 and 8 examples, like the other two you mentioned as well :P

• 2 weeks later...

I just remembered something very important. I'm pretty certain that the "Lycian Alliance" is supposed to be called the "Lycian League." If and when you edit the patch, are you planning to change this?

Yes. We discussed this already several pages back. >w<

I had almost forgotten if you were still alive. Haha.

Again, if you have any blatant problems or need anything tested, since I can jump to pretty much any point in the game with whatever units you want and can just simply give you the save... just holler.

I had almost forgotten if you were still alive. Haha.

Again, if you have any blatant problems or need anything tested, since I can jump to pretty much any point in the game with whatever units you want and can just simply give you the save... just holler.

I will! Thank you! I haven't had much time to work on this due to college. >: I'll have much more time after school lets out for the summer. :3

Edited by Popo

I just saw this in 8x:

Lilina: *laughs*

Quality translation right there.

Why not "Hahaha", like what the FE6 script on this site says?

In fact come to think of it, some dialogue between the patch and the scripts here don't match. What's up with that?

In fact come to think of it, some dialogue between the patch and the scripts here don't match. What's up with that?

Examples, please.

I just saw this in 8x:

Quality translation right there.

Why not "Hahaha", like what the FE6 script on this site says?

I think it's safe to say that there are multiple versions of the script swimming around. Obviously I'll catch anything like that. My eyes, they bleed at *laughs*. XD