Anybody who doesn't like it can three themselves.

Nayr Farros

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more definition you have, the better you have to be to place it right. Otherwise it just looks sloppy. There is such a thing as simple being chic.(The clothing on the sprite in Astel's sig is a good example.)

*Shrugs*

Azel-4.png

Decided to revamp the head on one of my sprites for Tactics Universe.

Before: LouisFormat.png

After: kinglouisfixformat.png

Now his face doesn't look dislocated.

I was able to get away with recreating his facial likeness by splicing. But the hair had to be redone from scratch.

Edited by Nayr

Are you basing it off the new art? If so, there's a set of plates within the pauldrons that you missed. Secondly, one pauldron is further out/in than the other.

The filigree on its right pauldron (not our right) also seems flat, where it should be plated onto the pauldron. Actually, its right pauldron seems to be from an entirely different set than its left--they don't match in size, height, or shape.

Edited by Celice

Are you basing it off the new art? If so, there's a set of plates within the pauldrons that you missed. Secondly, one pauldron is further out/in than the other.

The filigree on its right pauldron (not our right) also seems flat, where it should be plated onto the pauldron. Actually, its right pauldron seems to be from an entirely different set than its left--they don't match in size, height, or shape.

1. The inner silver plates had to go for space and color limitations.

2. The far pauldron is viewed from a different angle, so of course the pad would appear shaped differently and the trimming slightly different(some details cant be seen from the near side(Tirado and Marcus's outlines were used to create both pads.), and be more flat because the shading is darker.(Fado is good reference) The sprite is tilted so the height is naturally lower by a couple pixels.(Murray is a good example. It's like that on the artwork too.

But I know you're a total stickler for exact details/proportions, which cant always be done in spriting. Some things have to go or be adjusted to fit.

Far trim and face do need a few adjustments, but

Nahuel

Nahuel-1.png

A wandering swordsman.

Head is spliced(haven't used Valter's hair for anything in a LONG time so I figured I'd give it a go.) and the body is mostly customed. Just some splicing in the outline that was heavily edited.

Edited by Nayr

It actually does really remind me of Guy, anyways it is good but the shading on his clothes seems un-clothes-like(word?) Just try to make it look more like fabric IMO.

So despite Blazer turning me down flat on an offer to replace several mugs for Tactics Universe(some sprites are downright nasty and need replacing,) he still has the nerve to make requests.

This is for that community hack they are doing over at FES. Blazer's description is for a "badass pirate swordsman." But since traditionally Pirates wield sabers/rapiers/cutlasses, the pirate look was all I needed to do. And I did six variants of facial hair.

PirateVariants.png

1. Normal

2. Rugged

3. Small beard

4. Hawke-Eye Mihawk

5. Goatee

6. Full beard

Maybe it's just me but something seems off about the eyes. Positioning maybe? Other than the positioning, the eyes and mouth make him seem a little effeminate to me. Oddly enough I feel like the more facial hair he gets the more feminine his other features seem to look.

EDIT: Eh maybe the positioning is fine, maybe its just the effeminate vibe I'm getting that's bugging me.

Edited by frat_tastic

Maybe it's just me but something seems off about the eyes. Positioning maybe? Other than the positioning, the eyes and mouth make him seem a little effeminate to me. Oddly enough I feel like the more facial hair he gets the more feminine his other features seem to look.

EDIT: Eh maybe the positioning is fine, maybe its just the effeminate vibe I'm getting that's bugging me.

Female sprites never have eyes that small or features that chiseled. Females are lightly shaded, are more round in their face and jaw lines, and have those doe eyes.

Also unless you're doing lip gloss, mouthes are the same on men and women, except it's wider on men, and this dude's is pretty wide.

the eyebrows make it feminine looking. They're pretty thin and archy. When you add more facial hair it looks like he's smiling and gives the appearance that his mouth his smaller, making it more feminine. buh.

after you fix it up a little, #3 please? because I have the same kind of beard IRL

Thanks bro

P.S. <- doesn't feel guilt about anythin

Edited by Strawhat Luffy

For me, it's no so much the eyebrows, as much as the eyes are like ridiculously generic-cute glossy. It's giving me vibes of exaggeration, but at the same time nothing really seems wrong with one eye. Its right eye is fucking bugging-out though, fix that. I think what it is is the right-side is at an inconsistent angle compared to its left-side.

Also, could you draw the head without the headband? It doesn't seem to be working successfully with the hair--it looks almost like his head vertically extends like a sheer cliff for some reason. Drawing without the band would show if the band is really placed correctly or not.

The only other thing is the head doesn't seem to match the burliness of the body, to me. Perhaps a little more muscle definition, or tendon/veiny detail? The two collars also seem to be disproportionate when taken into consideration of their different angles.

I'd definitely say #3 is the representation I'd choose though.