Rate the Unit, Day 31: Janaff

Dat Rules (stolen/borrowed from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode+Fixed Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings the sonic sword" or any other justification as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- Rating a unit too low because you think its overrated will make me throw away your vote without mercy public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Rolf: 1.15

Sothe: 2.03

Brom: 2.32

Shinon: 3.00

Devdan: 4.11

Volke : 4.82

Ilyana: 4.98

Soren: 5.15

Rhys: 5.31

Gatrie: 5.46

Mia: 5.71

Muarim: 6.19

Mist: 6.41

Mordecai: 6.55

Makalov: 6.59

Tormod: 6.62

Zihark: 6.65

Lethe: 6.75

Nephenee: 6.79

Stefan: 7.40

Astrid: 7.76

Boyd: 8.29

Ike: 8.57

Tanith: 9.08

Oscar: 9.08

Kieran: 9.23

Jill: 9.31

Marcia: 9.36

Reyson: 9.79

Titania: 9.91

Reyson beat Marcia, noooooooooo...

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's Janaff!

Edited by ZM456

3/10

He's okay I guess, he doesn't suck and he transforms immediately i suppose... his offense is worse than like base level tanith and he has no 1-2 range and weapon weapons

Pros:

+Insight

+Good base speed

+Two earth supports (even if one of them is Lucia <_<)

+Transforms right away

Cons:

-Bleeeehhhh weapon

-Eeeehhhhh availability

These hawks really wish they weren't locked into a single type of beak. For whatever reason, I don't really like hawk laguz performance in this game even though their bases end up pretty good. They have high mov and awesome skills but if even Muarim is missing some ORKOs with his monster strength, hawk laguz don't really cut it either. He supports with Oscar, which is cool, but usually I have Oscar supporting Ike and Tanith already. They also take a huge BEXP dump if you wanted to go that route, and I'd rather shore up Reyson or stockpile for Elincia later at this point in the game.

IF ONLY LAGUZ HAD THEIR RADIANT DAWN WEAPONS.

5.5/10

Pros:

+Insight for better accuracy, although he doesn't have much trouble

+Instant transformation

+Thunder affinity with 2 Earth supports and another Thunder support available (the bad thing is one of the Earth ones is Lucia and the Thunder is returning)

+Good speed and generally good bases

~Cancel as an Occult skill

Cons:

-.5 for laguz de-transformation later on

-.5 locked to melee range

-.5 locked to weak beak

-3 weak for lategame, which is very important because he won't be able to one-round any physical units later on

-1 for low defenses which matter because he has weakness to arrows/wind magic and Cancel isn't very reliable

+.75 flying and high move but no re-moving (canto)

+.25 for avoid-giving part of Thunder affinity (and 2 Earth supports)

5.5/10 Hawks in PoR are not as good as in RD where they have untransformed fighting, better caps and Wildheart/lots of laguz stones/olivi grass available

Janaff, the eyes of Tibarn and a jovial little dude.

Pros:

Insight is cool.

Transforms right away.

Good supports.

Flies.

Cons:

Strength and "weapon" are ehhh.

I dont have too much to say about Janaff because i dont use him much (aside from the Naesala chapter). He does have some good supports (with some Earth affinity folks! wewt!) and Insight means hes not gonna ever miss his target. He can transform right away to get to the murder and he flies so hes got good move. He just cant kill lots of junk in a ORKO most of the time. So yeah...im pretty neutral to this guy.

5/10.

Janaff can spot a lone enemy on the other side of the continent, but can he see why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch?

Edited by Gryz

PROS:

-transforms right away

-flight

CONS:

-eventually un-transforms

-not very tough

Janaff is ok as far as Laguz go but lets face it. Laguz suck in FE9. He can be useful in Chapter 24 (i think? the mountain one) but thats about it for him.

2.75/10 - He can perform decently but there are too many units who are just simply better than him.

3 out of 10. For better or worse, Janaff is pretty much useless and easily replicable by every other flier in the game. In fact without putting an unimaginable amount of resources onto Janaff to make him worth using as a combat unit then it is probably not even worth deploying him except for that single chapter where he can get the raven king to flee while being transformed which lowers his chances of dying on the second turn. I would say that without something like an energy drop (increasing his base STR to 21 which makes it passable for a little while now at least) or maybe two even of them to keep him going till endgame, the full guard to avoid being plucked out of the sky from a wind spell or arrow due to his lack luster avoid and maybe a Seraph Robe to make up for that fairly weak transformed 15 DEF and 12 RES and give him a more passable 46HP that he probably isn't worth counting as a combat unit. Without those resources being piled onto him, which is usually reserved for when they are the only flier that you drafted or something, he's pretty much replicable by ANY flier from any point in the game. Oh yeah, except for the fact that the birds are also the only flying units that DON'T have canto, oops. About the only reason plus he really has is that between the two hawks, he is the one that transforms at the beginning of the map and can be used immediately.

Edited by NTNP

Base level Tanith offense isn't even that bad. Janaff's is almost Lucia-level offense.

I'd take Lucia's offense over Janaff's. Janaff's offense is trained Volke-calibre.

Immediate transforming is cool, but I already have Tanith, Marcia, and Jill to do his job. Really a waste of deployment. The only reason he's even recruited because fuck if I say no to Reyson.

4/10