Is Setsuna worth using?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, maybe I'll give her a try during my next playthrough, who would you recommend pairing her with? I'm thinking about Ryoma.

I'm currently playing through Birthright and I paired her up with Hayato and a got a pretty good child unit. The child unit (I'm saying it like this in case you don't know who Hayato's child is) was inaccurate but quite strong.

Anyone being Ryoma's pairup will likely be relegated to back unit forever because of how powerful he is, so if you want to actually try using Setsuna as a front combat unit that might not be the best idea unless you separate them after marriage and pick max-A rank partners.

Supportwise, well, if you like the support I guess? It's not one I was impressed by, but it's not like, the super godawful ones that I get mad reading so make your own judgement about it.

Setsuna is very fast but not very strong, so I'd recommend getting her someone who can boost strength. Ryoma's own bonuses do not work well for her; her speed is absolutely overkill and Ryoma just gives more speed.

Edited by Thor Odinson

If you did Sakura/Saizo, I'd recommend figuring out a way to take full advantage of Asugi's hybrid parameters. If you have dark flier available, he might be a good option for that. Sakura is a very solid hybrid-stats mom given her decent str and high mag, which also complements Asugi's solid stats in each.

What about Corrin/Leo? Their support's so adorable I almost cried. Going back to the topic of who to pair Setsuna with, would Silas be a good choice? He's one of the more physical characters and he could potentially become a Kinshi Knight using a marriage seal.

Edited by Sky Knight Subaki

Kinshi Knight is an interesting class, but its stats have always seemed pretty gross to me. It can be useful, though.

I personally would not recommend Setsuna. Not only do you have Takumi, who's a killer archer already, but Setsuna's growths just seem really bad. If I remember correctly, as an archer, her speed stat is the only thing with a growth rate above 45%. Her lower skill and luck stats don't help the already "meh" hit-rates of yumi, so you might find her accuracy unreliable. Her only real merit is that great speed stat, and she'll be better at dealing with mages than Takumi. She'll double most everything, but her other stats are just so shaky. You can do what you like, of course, though, and you might get lucky, who knows? I mean one of my Birthright MVP's was Rinkah of all people...

Use her if you want. Her speed is her highest but eventually her strength gets his enough to where her doubles will kill. It did for me at least. I tend to pair her with either Takumi or Hinata; Takumi because I like Kiragi with teal hair and Hinata because he typically needs the speed.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

I'm running Setsuna on my current primarily-units-I-didn't-use-much-last-time run of Birthright, and Setsuna's been... really, really lopsided in terms of stats. Her Speed is amazing, her Skill is pretty good, her Strength is alright, her Luck is acceptable... and she's fucked if something can actually hit her, since her Defense, Resistance and HP are all shit. Silas pair-up (Cavalier > Paladin) helped her quite a bit, but I'm not sure I'd ever use her again.

Silas/Setsuna has worked out fairly well for me tho. Gives Setsuna some power, a bit of Speed and Defense (not enough to make me comfortable with the idea of her taking a hit, but she could maybe take the occasional weak attack and come out with single-digit HP), lets her have Silas ferry her around with his 8 Mov, and... I'm not sure what it does for Silas, I haven't really been using him since his Speed keeps being crap (this time and on my last Conquest run, though Setsuna pair-up and the Practice Katana can go a ways toward fixing this on Birthright). Not sure how Sophie'll turn out, but I'm sure she'll be fine.

In my (admittedly limited) experience, Setsuna's not terrible, she'll serve you well enough if you need stuff nuked off the map through non-magical means, especially flyers, but I prefer all the other bow users to her (Mozu for her generally amazing levels and her class sets giving her a wide variety of useful skills, Takumi for being really good generally and being able to traverse all terrain with the Fujin Yumi, Sakura for being a really solid all-around unit, Azama since he has a lot more Defense than the other options and is still quite strong, so he can frontline as long as he doesn't have to fight mages (though I suppose he could get around this with the Illusory Yumi...), though he does need a Heart Seal to get to his bow-using class).

So which supports make you mad Thor Odinson?

I dislike the corn/royal sib S ranks on principle, but otherwise, Jakob/Rinkah, Silas/Hana, and Azama/Kagero.

I mean one of my Birthright MVP's was Rinkah of all people...

Rinkah's badness is honestly overblown anyway.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Setsuna's got speed, and she's got speed, and she's got speed, and she's got... what else?

She's not going to be that useful because Takumi doubles most things in Birthright, while having much better strength and skill and the Fujin Yumi.

In birthright, anyone can become worth using if you invest enough time in them.

This. So the question is: is it worth investing time in her? Probably not. I tried using her and gave up because her stats were so bad.

There's other characters that would make better archers than her. As someone pointed out earlier, Mozu. Hell, the only archers I ever needed were Takumi and Mechanist Kaze with a forged iron bow (which was rare). And then Yukimura comes with bows as well.

In that one boat chapter with all the fliers, I just used Takumi and Reina. Then after that, that was it for any extra archers. Lol.

I mean yeah, she's not the best, but on the other hand, it IS birthright. My favorite thing about BR is its unit flexibility. If you like her as a character or something, then there's no harm in using her. Nobody's unsalvagable on Birthright.

On the other hand if you just want the best units she would not be one of them.

It's really hard to define "worth using" when even the less great units are perfectly usable. Nobody's like, FE6 Wendy/Sophia.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Setsuna's growths just scream 'ninja', which is funny because she can become a ninja.

But yeah, she's not really the best other than her speed, but you can still invest in her if you want a dodge tank. Also, I think her speed growths helps with Midori's speed problem, without completely crippling her other good growths, if you like optimal marriages.

I think Setsuna is one of those characters where she has to be on the maybe list and that you have to be prepared to bench if she's not getting good levels (or, unless you're willing to possibly throw Energy Drops her way). When I used her, I had the fortune of getting a whole bunch of Str over her first half-dozen or so levels (4 out of 6 or something way above average like that), which put her at a point of power where, if I needed to off something scary really fast and at no danger, she was my woman. Between that and the entire boat chapter being weak to bows, she snowballed pretty hard and carried my team for a while. Then she stopped gaining Str and became more of a support unit. So long story short, she needs that early game Str and if she's not getting it on her own, you'll want to find a way to compensate or bench her (otherwise, you'll just be stuck with an under-performing unit).

For comparison, my Setsuna was still viable in Lunatic C25 and paralogues from around that time, despite only 19 Str (a lot of credit for that goes to Quick Draw, high-rank bow proficiency and Bowfaire).

I think Setsuna is one of those characters where she has to be on the maybe list and that you have to be prepared to bench if she's not getting good levels (or, unless you're willing to possibly throw Energy Drops her way). When I used her, I had the fortune of getting a whole bunch of Str over her first half-dozen or so levels (4 out of 6 or something way above average like that), which put her at a point of power where, if I needed to off something scary really fast and at no danger, she was my woman. Between that and the entire boat chapter being weak to bows, she snowballed pretty hard and carried my team for a while. Then she stopped gaining Str and became more of a support unit. So long story short, she needs that early game Str and if she's not getting it on her own, you'll want to find a way to compensate or bench her (otherwise, you'll just be stuck with an under-performing unit).

For comparison, my Setsuna was still viable in Lunatic C25 and paralogues from around that time, despite only 19 Str (a lot of credit for that goes to Quick Draw, high-rank bow proficiency and Bowfaire).

This happened with me, to a point - at least her getting Strength early. Even after she stopped getting Strength, she was still capable of contributing.

Setsuna is amazing, and you should use her. She's one of the most entertaining characters in the whole series for me, and while I do agree she's quite frail at times, her speed lets her dodge virtually everything so I never found that to be an issue. If Takumi didn't have a unique weapon, she probably rival him. Maybe I'm optimistic or got ridiculously lucky on my growths during my first run but still.