The Road to Ruin [Complete] [v3.0.3 Released!]

Primefusion

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts on the game: I've only played until chapter 8, so I'll add more input later.

What I liked about the game: the difficulty of the game seems to be catered more towards veteran fe players. The units have low growth rates, and the game is hard enough that it's not a walkover, but also not too hard for the less experienceed to feel frustrated by. I dont have to beat the game onfe or twice to play something relatively challenging. I'd say that this game's classic fire emblem style gameplay with no overly weird bs is its biggest plus. A lot of the have slight changes in them that make them fun, while keeping true to classic fe.

The okay stuff: the story is good. It's not bad, but it doesnt really stand out. It feels like a typical fe story. As long as a story's not bad, I'm okay with it.

The talks between the characters in game. I'd say that this feature is okay. It's good in the sense that you learn more about the characters, and that they dont disappear from the story after 2 seconds, but I feel like theres not enough character time for the minor characters. I felt like this was a big issue in every fe game before awakening.

Things that could use improvement:

Hugo, corvan, tori.

Hugo as a character has terrible luck, speed, def, and res. I think his strength, skill, and hp are his only plusses, and they're not even enough to warrant him being a long term character. IMO give him more speed so that he has a role on the team as a damager with high hp.

Corvan's biggest problems are his terrible speed and movement. In all the other fe games, knights have been bad units that no1 has used. It seems to be the same in this game. Corvan is another unit that's worthless. By the time you get him, even though his def and str are high, you have enough units to completely phase him out. Not that he could actually see some action with that terrible mov. IMO I think you should give him more mov like a regular unit, and good speed growths/base that cap relatively fast upon promotion. His str and def arent good enough to warrant using him and he feels like a liability to have around.

Tori: She has really really low str, which is I guess okay because shes a pego knight, but her spd is pretty low for a pego knight. To the point that she cant even double units that should have mediocre speed.(in my playthrough) Plus, her res growth rate seems really low for a pego knight. I find that she doesnt even kill mages effectively like pegos usually do in other fe games. All of the above combined make tori a really bad unit. Plus tori has like 5 con. The only thing tori's useful for in this game is armory/shop runs and early village checks. Please buff her. She's a must use for so many early chapters and I feel like its a waste to dump exp on her.

Maps: (posting on phone is too hard) the maps in this game are up and down for me so far. The 2 biggest things I love about this gake are the relatively short chapters and no fow maps(yet). I thought the prologue was the best done map in the game. The map.was thr hardest map in the game. It wasnt a walk in the park, but it wasnt too hard that I had to use the Jeigan character in combat.(just take away her weapons and have her block the east entrance while the archer chips enemies away.)

Chapter 1 was an okay map. The game was still pretty challenging enough that I couldnt recruit the cavalier and cleric right away. And I liked the four unit blockade. going manmode through the center was fun.

The hugo recruit map could use improvement. The challenge of that map was to get to the village before the barbarians do, but I felt like that was too easy. Maybe make it harder to do so, or add another objective so that the map doesnt turn into a turtle waves of enemies before reinforcements stop, then just push your way to boss and win.

The castle map with the op reinforcements and OP sniper was a really really well done map. I loved that the OP reinforcements forced you to not just slow push your way to win. Very clever map, I liked it.

The cavalier boss map was an interesting map. I like that this was not a turtle map because the boss rushed you if you passed a certain point, and you had a choice of killing the boss and losing mob exp or finding clever ways to stall boss while getting exp.

Chapters 5, 6, and 7 were boring. Please change. I forgot what chapter 5 was, but all I know is that it was this really easy map where you just turtled enemies and reinforcements that rushed you. Then you just cleared the map for easy win. Please add something unique to the map like all the other maps to make it more fun, challenging, and interesting.

The key points of chapter 6 was the enemy with a longbow and the thief, but I felt that it was too easy to stop the thief in time. After that, the chapter became another easy push to win map. Please make it more challenging, and/or add more.interesting features.

Chapter 7, another hold out waves of reinforcements and win map. I felt that it was too easy to get to the villages. Would suggest revamping this map too.

On chapter 8 right now, cant comment until I finish the game. Hope whatever I'm saying is helpful, and comprehensible.

Chapter 4x wasfun,new and interesting. I liked it! Chapter 6x was really dull since I could just trade away weapons and just tank with elixirs. I think there should be an incentive to fight on this map. Also, maybe its bexause I didnt thin out enemy numbers or something, but the hack crashes after I complete 6x. Like I cant view the cutscene after beating the chapter. When the screen starts to pan towards the huge hoard of units built up, the units all turn grey and the gane freezes, so I have to press start beforehand to move on.

Also, maybe its bexause I didnt thin out enemy numbers or something, but the hack crashes after I complete 6x. Like I cant view the cutscene after beating the chapter. When the screen starts to pan towards the huge hoard of units built up, the units all turn grey and the gane freezes, so I have to press start beforehand to move on.

Do you mind sending me a save file or save state so I can debug this? Thanks.

First episode is up!

Got a lot of LP's going on at once right now, so don't know how often I'll release these, It'll be a side-project sort of, but I'll try to make new one's every so often, this hack has absolutely peaked my interest.

In hindsight, I think I went a little too harsh on the criticism. Take it with a pinch of salt!

Edited by Mangs

Do you mind sending me a save file or save state so I can debug this? Thanks.

I played this on my phone while my internet was down. I'm not sure how to get a save file, and no save state function for free on the phone emulator. If I have time, I'll try to play this game later on my computer.

I'll give my final thoughts on this game. I liked chapter 8 and 10. Chapter 8, the neturals made it interesting because unless you played the chapter smart, the neutrals would take all the exp. Chapter 10 was fun too because you had two bosses. I liked that the bosses rushed because otherwise, it would have been too hard to take down both bosses within 10 turns.

Chapter 9, I felt was a little too generic, and easy. You could feel the enemies getting harder, but it was too easy imo to recruit the thief in time without the chapter being too difficult.

Also, I don't know when promoted bosses started coming, but while I was playing this game, I felt that they were challenging, which is good. I remember thinking, it would have been nicer if they came a chapter earlier for maybe a little more challenging experience.

So overall, I would rate this rom a 9.5/10. When I finished this game last week, I felt that it was pretty good, but not great in terms of just the overall game experience(this was my first rom hack). Having rushed through all the other major rom hacks with a classic fire emblem style gameplay, I felt that this one was the best. I stand by my point that the story was okay at the beginning, but got better as the game progressed. This rom imo has the best story out of all the other rom hack stories.

Other roms stand out in terms of like sprites, original ideas, or unique ideas for maps, but I felt that overall, this rom had the most satisfying gameplay out of all the other roms. I wish the game had more challenging aspects because even though the enemies were stronger, the game made it hard for anybody to die. I never restarted due to character death.

This game had poorer "artwork" I guess, but I didn't care about that, since that stuff doesn't affect gameplay. However, I think without the flashy artwork or creative new ideas, it will be hard for this rom to get popular.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just finished the prologue, and I must say, you certainly did something that I kind of like. You made it so that Ava has to be used in order to have your units survive. I tried a couple of times without using Ava, and nobody could hold out. That's actually a pretty good move.

Edited by Blackzero

Mostly i just lurk around, but having just finished the available chapters from your hack, i think i must break my lurker status and just say, you my good sir, you're a gentleman and a scholar. I very much enjoyed the hack, it felt challanging for the most part but not overly so, that would drive a person to restart for deaths galore, though i felt that the dificulty waned a bit around ch.6/7 to sudenly ramp up by ch.10, i actually had to think a bit for that chapter. But hey thats a good thing anyway. Guess i could leave some thoughs i had:

-money and items, this is probably just me, since im stingy with money and all that, but i often found myself without a weapon lol. Fixed by just spendin all money on the next shop and armory i found but humm...theres that. Also do we get another pian dao (not sure if name is correct), the swordmaster katana personal thingie? Said lack of weapons led to using most of it :(

-characters, most of them are good or fill a role that others dont, but some characters could use a boost.

-Tori, while mine didnt end as dreadfull as some have mentioned before, she could use a little love either on the strength department or 1 or 2 points in con. 5 Con (i think Ewan as a pupil in FE:SS had more) is fine for a mage or something like that but for a unit locked to lances, wich tend to weight around 10 give or take thats a hard blow; use slim lances and do no damage or do some damage and get doubled this the question;

-the axe users as a group, well...i pretty much ever only used Pirates/Berserkers and the odd Hero for axes .O'Riley looks good but he promotes to Warrior... (i cant get over how silly they look, sue me. Awakening did cool Warriors though), Hugo (with my luck he is the Berserker promo :/) is kinda slow and made of wet tissue paper, Corvan ditto on speed plus he a knight; slow and moves at snail pace? no thanks. Braxton didnt do much for me the 1 time he was fielded.

-Sylvia, lvl 17 capped res, 1 point for speed cap, 2 for skill, 14 luck, terrible defence as in 3 defence, and the coup de grace 7 magic. Just godammit :/

-Not really a complaint but Ava, at least till this point, looks kinda important story wise, she could stand to be promoted to Seth/Titania tier not left to rot in the Jaegan bench ^^, just my 2cents;

-It can be just i angered Anna and am sufering from her wrath but the growths feel kinda low. On level up 2 stats are the norm with a rare but welcome 3 or 4(very rare) sometimes. Only Kristoph and Buck break away from this trend; Buck in particular, dunno why he had to run from the hellish creature, hes op :)

And that concludes my (long) rant. Those were just some thoughs i had, feel free to take them with a grain of salt. One other thing when i was messing around to check the promos in the chapter 0x, if Aaron doesnt have a weapon equiped on promo he has Legault's assassin model. He looks fine after promo though, just thought i should point it out.

So long story short, i think the hack looks pretty good and keep up the good work.

Edited by Revan

Glad you enjoyed it! Money is meant to be kind of tight. It actually used to be even more scarce though I sprinkled in some extra dough here and there.

The Pian Dao will likely make a return at some point.

Torie is a pain in the ass to balance. Ditto on the axe guys (Sadly I can't help you with your warrior aversion :P:).
Sylvia is a mixed bag. I've seen some folks' Sylvias be through the roof monsters and others are subpar.
Ava having lame stats/growths is intentional.

My growths overall are little on the lower side compared to other projects though TRTR will also be a bit shorter than those other projects so I think it'll work out fine.

I'll look into the cav animation, thanks for the heads up.

Glad you enjoyed it! Money is meant to be kind of tight. It actually used to be even more scarce though I sprinkled in some extra dough here and there.

The Pian Dao will likely make a return at some point.

Torie is a pain in the ass to balance. Ditto on the axe guys (Sadly I can't help you with your warrior aversion :P:).

Sylvia is a mixed bag. I've seen some folks' Sylvias be through the roof monsters and others are subpar.

Ava having lame stats/growths is intentional.

My growths overall are little on the lower side compared to other projects though TRTR will also be a bit shorter than those other projects so I think it'll work out fine.

I'll look into the cav animation, thanks for the heads up.

Well the money availability or lack thereoff, seems justified from a storytelling perspective; we play as mercenaries on the run, makes sence we dont swim in dough; the other part of the question i just wrote it off as me being stingy with my finances :)

Well it might be unreasonable, but of course you can help with my Warrior aversion. Just make every axe user promote to Berserker or Great Lord and we call the problem solved :D Ahhh well i'll just dump all the stat boosters on Hugo and solve the question like that, if he indeed promotes to Berserker...unless we get another one later? coofff...hint/question/something...coofff.

Alas, such is the fate of the Jaegans. Not that it ever stopped me from using them. I still remember taking Marcus to the final chapter in FE:BS, i think he capped skill lol. In hindsight not such a great idea but i was young and naive, i though i knew better than anyone :)

Well on the growth rates just making sure. They felt on the low side, just making sure i wasnt being blessed with suck by the RNG Goddess.

Well it might be unreasonable, but of course you can help with my Warrior aversion. Just make every axe user promote to Berserker or Great Lord and we call the problem solved :D

But whirlwind crit :<

it seems like there's been alot of progress on this since the last time i checked on it.

should i give it a whirl and post feedback? i use to do this in the past

Go for it!

alright, got done with the first chapter and i actually do remember this hack, it sure has gone a long ways from the adventures of OC, Wil, Farina, and Karla.

fun stuff honestly, though i think so far Torie might feel home in a trash bin, she can barely double units and so far has only gained HP and Luck for one level up and HP and defense for another.

take it with a grain of salt until i've beaten this, but i agree with some others that she needs a buff, a peg knight who can't double or take on mages isn't good.

fun stuff honestly, though i think so far Torie might feel home in a trash bin, she can barely double units and so far has only gained HP and Luck for one level up and HP and defense for another.

Last time I played, I think each of her stats was higher than the main merc whose name I can't remember at the same level. That might not have been the most recent patch though.

I should take this for another whirl. If I recall, this was one of the harder games.

This comment is primarily so that this topic gets added to "my content."

Edited by deranger