MarkyJoe1990's Fire Emblem Hack Reviews (Video Series)

MarkyJoe1990

Well... to be honest. I had a bit of an agenda when going into this hack. Y'see, I remember the old thread on FE Universe and MarioBro saying he'd stop making the hack because people just kept complaining about the portraits. It made me a bit sad cause quite a few people said the hack was genuinely enjoyable. I was hoping that maybe if I LP'd it and found it really WAS good, I could try to encourage the creator to get back into the project. Or something like that.

... I ain't mean all the time, y'know. x.x

Now that must've been quite some time ago, haha.

I remember being one of the people who didn't try it cause of the mugs, don't know why but I'm always a stickler for having to have things look neat. It doesn't have to be like, top of the line graphics but it's really jarring when such graphics come up, it distracts me from the game and thus detracts from the experience.

From your video review though, the storyline's got potential, though the idea itself is kinda base at the moment, let me know if it picks up a few chapters in.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that must've been quite some time ago, haha.

I remember being one of the people who didn't try it cause of the mugs, don't know why but I'm always a stickler for having to have things look neat. It doesn't have to be like, top of the line graphics but it's really jarring when such graphics come up, it distracts me from the game and thus detracts from the experience.

From your video review though, the storyline's got potential, though the idea itself is kinda base at the moment, let me know if it picks up a few chapters in.

It's time I pull out Old Man MarkyJoe.

*takes out cane and waves it*

Y'know, BACK IN MY DAY, we didn't care about no fancy graphics! We just had them good ol pixels. And what made our games good? The gameplay! And music too! Not this theatrical "I'm watchin' a damn movie" bullshit music that games love to use nowdays instead of putting in any actual effort in melody and song craft!

Yeah, I... don't really care about "immersion" in a game. If I wanted that, I'd watch a movie or read a book. Games are for gaming, y'know?

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Y'know, BACK IN MY DAY, we didn't care about no fancy graphics! We just had them good ol pixels. And what made our games good? The gameplay! And music too! Not this theatrical "I'm watchin' a damn movie" bullshit music that games love to use nowdays instead of putting in any actual effort in melody and song craft!

Yeah, I... don't really care about "immersion" in a game. If I wanted that, I'd watch a movie or read a book. Games are for gaming, y'know?

Mm, my apologies for not remembering you though, it's been quite some time, doubt you'd remember me either, considering.

Yeah, even FlyingAce's hack got looked over a tad because of the downcomings of some of the mugs. Overall though it doesn't have to be the best, but you have to at least be a little refined in your presentation.

Though I suppose, that's the viewpoint from me, someone who's started at the bottom of spriting and hacking and hasn't really made it anywhere since, despite having dreams that could reach the sky. Haha.

Mm, suppose that's just different strokes for different blokes, I guess. Nothing wrong with that, I just want to feel enveloped by someone's creation, not just sitting and staring at it blankly.

(Also, I'm not saying that it has to be like, FFX5 level of graphics for a game to be good, I still love playing a good pixel game, though I'd rather play a game that has good graphical quality, say like DoF rather than this, because I'm a stickler for polish, though I'd drop it if the world didn't envelop me.)

Been playing Donkey Kong Country, have you, Cranky?

That being said I like immersion in a game because I get the "watching a movie" and "reading a book" along with awesome gameplay. Sure, I EXPECT good gameplay more than anything, but the whole package is what makes me love a game, usually. (Not to say Tetris, Pac-Man, arcade games in general, iPhone games, etc. don't have their own charm, but I never go rambling about them~)

I remember really liking this hack when I played it, and I was sad to see it abandoned. I may or may not have talked about the portraits (genuinely not sure cause I used to criticize a lot of different hacks), but I made sure to mention that I liked everything else about the game. The characters are great and it feels like a very reasonable addition to FE7's story.

• 3 weeks later...

Another episode in the bank!

In this episode

Stuff happens.

... But really, the gameplay of this chapter is severely lacking, even if I died once, but that's cause I made an incredibly stupid maneuver. I will say though that the dialogue and characters still remain interesting, but they are pretty much the key driving force for me to finish this project currently.

• 3 months later...

Don't ever leave again :cry:

I was actually really sad when you stopped your Decay of the Fang playthrough. Glad to see it's back up.

Thanks for missing me. =3

I'm gonna see if I can finish it. Some of my friends have warned me that the gameplay from here is still pretty bad, but I'm starved for stuff to do, and I've been so bored lately that I think I can tolerate tedious gameplay for the time being.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Holy cow guys. I exist again.

I decided to go back to Decay of the Fangs cause the thing I wanted to record wasn't available, and people seemed to wanna see more of this hack.

You said you were going to playthrough a new ROM Hack!? Nice! What's its name?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

lol what meltdown seemed like a casual lp to me

What Ghast said. I assumed it to be a bit of typical LP comedic dramatization.

Sad that this hack never ran its full course.

Edited by Siuloir