FEXNA (Currently In Private Beta)

BwdYeti

There's a lot of people in the beta chat, let me tell you

It's a big enough clusterfuck as it is, and that's been going on since...June 8th, 2013

I guess the beta testing schtick just kind of evolved from the skype chats which talked about it way back then, no 'ass-pulling' here, just weird stuff

I don't think you understood me; I meant klok saying there's some kind of requirement is pulling stuff out of his ass.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I thought he said was that if someone knows C# and if they are actually going to help program they would be enlisted, because Yeti still seems to be the only one actually building the engine.

At least, this is what I interpreted this

True, but after making literally every other facet of the engine, at this point it's just a formality. If anyone knows a lot of C#, that's the only exception we'd make on adding to the team, so we could outsource the optional features from other FE titles and leave just the core stuff to yeti. (For example they could tackle branching promotions/FE5 capture and etc.)

So, if anyone really wants to expedite FEXNA's release, knowing C# coding to a skilled degree and helping us out is the only surefire way to actually speed up development.

as, he was just talking about speeding up development. I don't see where he says anywhere you /need/ to know C# to be in, just that beta is full and unless someone has ~l33t~ C# skills, they don't intend to let anyone else in, as they don't want to bog the beta down with more new people asking questions. He even says this would be an exception.

Edited by L95

Yeah Lin hit the nail on the head. Kitty if you know C# and you want to help, we'd be willing to make an exception, but I'd have to ask Yeti just to make sure. You've been in the community since forever, so we're not worried about you leaking it early. (That's the other big issue, trustworthiness and not leaking it early so we can release a finished product all at once.)

Also I didn't mean to say it was a requirement (And after quickly re-reading my post I indeed never said that) but at this point in time the only way into the beta is if youknow C# so you can help out and expedite engine development on the optional features. The more features included on release, the better, because upgrading FEXNA from one version to the next is usually a monumental process for the various users. I waited three full versions before updating for my sacred contention remake because of what a pain it was. And I know how the engine works, so for a noob user who knows nothing of programming, upgrading fexna would be a major pain, which is why we want the first release to be as complete as possible, sans optional features.

Just a side question; you said new skills have to be written into the c# src file. My question is do you guys have functions or structs or anything like that set up to make it easier? Like say for example a function to load a stat as a percent change with the stat as your argument for example?

113d422232601d7ba6ad602468bc9d54.png

Wait so you can work on it if you know C#? How do you go about doing that? I might be interested in helping program.

Do you have any examples of C# coding experience?

113d422232601d7ba6ad602468bc9d54.png

Doesn't really answer my question

Do you have any examples of C# coding experience?

Not really. I never worked as a professional C# programmer; still in college y'know unless you want a simple .cs

The foreach keyword lets you loop through every element in a collection

foreach( <datatype> <arbitraryVariableName> in <collection> )

{

// do stuff

}

I'll have to look into what the out keyword means though.

Edited by Primefusion

I'm asking Skitty specifically because he expressed interest in joining the beta to help out on FEXNA's development as did Brendor, but Brendor apparently doesn't know what that little bit of code does, so if Skitty does then it basically means Skitty is more qualified to actually help out on development.

P.S. Prime with that knowledge you should be helping out too XD and you've had access to the beta since forever.

Edited by Klok's Juicy Tits

some function called hit_skill:

{
uses the variables n, weapon_hit and actor hit(all integers)
game_unit isn't a normal thing, so I assume target has to do with the unit being targeted
is this magic(yes or no)
int? distance has to do with what the distance of the attack is(I'm assuming it lowers hit when 'distance' is anything above 1)

for every skill:
{
there's a double called str_test that involves non-integer numbers

if the name of "substring"(which I assume to be n) is "Hit" and the value(of n) is a double?(I'm a bit confused there)
convert n to something I've never seen before
}

if your attacker(actor) has the knife skill:
{
the weapon isn't magic(or magic sword I'm assuming) and is in fact a sword, add 10 hit to whatever the original hit would be
}
}
like i said i have little c# and much more c++

oh goodness, programming dick waving fight is about to ensue, let me pack my things...

Edited by Skitty of Time

I never said that? You have a bad habit of saying shit you know nothing about

"Guys do you have X thing?"

>I post X thing

"That doesn't help me out"

>it totally does actually since it answers your question

some function called hit_skill:

{

uses the variables n, weapon_hit and actor hit(all integers)

game_unit isn't a normal thing, so I assume target has to do with the unit being targeted

is this magic(yes or no)

int? distance has to do with what the distance of the attack is(I'm assuming it lowers hit when 'distance' is anything above 1)

for every skill:

{

there's a double called str_test that involves non-integer numbers

if the name of "substring"(which I assume to be n) is "Hit" and the value(of n) is a double?(I'm a bit confused there)

convert n to something I've never seen before

}

if your attacker(actor) has the knife skill:

{

the weapon isn't magic(or magic sword I'm assuming) and is in fact a sword, add 10 hit to whatever the original hit would be

}

}

like i said i have little c# and much more c++

oh goodness, programming dick waving fight is about to ensue, let me pack my things...

Cool, so if you wanted to join we'd be fine with that. You're quite competent.

P.S. Prime with that knowledge you should be helping out too XD and you've had access to the beta since forever.

Not interested, sorry.

Wanna share a bowl of popcorn?

"int" is just any integer(as in a non-decimal number)

Nah, I know that, I mean the ? at the end of it - it's supposedly a nullable integer (an integer that can store null as well) after looking it up.

*pokes head in* I know C++ and Java, and C# is their red-headed step child soooo, I can say i'm at least slightly proficient in it.

Oh yeah I did make this one thing in C# a long time ago but that sucked and I didn't know Java then.

A for-each loop is a staple in functional programming; imagine it as a higher order function that takes in a void function(element) and a list[elements] and performs that function on each list. Though technically in this case it's mutable so you'd want to use reduce/fold as analogy but agghhhhh I'm wscratching this out because it was poorly planned

The for each in list loop performs the actions with each taking the value of every element in the list once. So what that bit of code does it that it looks at every skill the actor has in his data and sees if it starts with "HIT", and if so, adds the parsed amount of hit to add to n, which I assume is an ongoing count for hit.

Also comeon guys, don't you know to pass in constant references to your functions!? What happened to code robustness and immutability? You're going to get funny bugs that are hard to trace this way. :\. You make sad programmer sad :(.

(edit: I didn't know the int? thing either but guessing from what Tryhard said I just assume it's the C# equivalent of Scala's Option[int].)

Edited by Crazycolorz5

What I posted was essentially a skill that makes adding Hitrate boosting skills take seconds, albeit a shortcut skill. You type in a skill name of "Hit +15" and it increases a unit's hitrate by +15, essentially, which is exactly the shortcut you were asking about, unless I'm mistaken.