Fire Emblem: Binding Blade and Demon Dragon

Haku

Fire Emblem: Binding Blade and Demon Dragon

I had to post this sooner or later, so here we go...

[spoiler=Q&A]

Q: WHAT!?!? YET ANOTHER FE6 REMAKE!?!? WHY!?

Don't hurt me Yes. As you can by the topic title, I'm contemplating starting a remake of FE6. Working for the past 9 months or so on Shatterlight with LunaSaint has given me a clear insight into the hacking realm, and I feel that now I understand the fundamentals of hacking well enough to branch off and start my own hack too.

Q: But you're not answering the question D:<

Alright. FE6 is generally viewed by fans of the series as sub-par in comparison to the other games, and more specifically its counterpart, FE7. I've been wanting to attempt this for a while now, aspiring to give this game the TLC it deserves, whilst creating a fresh experience. Kitty of Time recently told me that FE6 Anniversary isn't actually dead, which is certainly encouraging news, but I'll carry on nonetheless, and try to make a memorable game to conclude the Elibian saga, for everyone to enjoy.

Q: Ok, well you just sound like any other noob out there, tell me at least what ideas you have.

Sure! I’ve been tinkering around with a few ideas, and I'm currently recreating chapter 1 with FE7 as a base. I have event scripts for up to chapter 3, and maps for up to chapter 15, it's just getting everything inserted that takes time. I've also made a compilation sheet, with about 30 mugs so far, and I'll possibly create a request topic in the sprite section in the near future. Like nearly everybody else, I'd ideally like to upgrade to FEXNA to when it's publically released :P

[spoiler=Ideas I have]

• An expansion and improvement of the main storyline, preferably using Elibian Nights and FE7x’s canon, if I get the permission of both these hacks' creators (I sent a PM a while back :'( ).
  • A completely new side story with Al as the protagonist, which will be an integral part of the game's plot. It will roughly follow the events of the manga 'Hasha no Tsurugi', and both Roy and Al's routes will merge and split at different points in the game. New characters from the manga will be playable and I may add a few others depending. I've mapped 5 chapters for Al's route so far, and done 1 event script.
  • Several characters from FE7 shall be making a return, and majority of them shall be referenced in some way or another, to bridge the gaps between the two games, which I feel was something that the Elibe games lacked.
  • A rebalance of all units bases and growths so that all characters have an opportunity to be used. Some characters will be harder to raise, but will reap a greater reward.
  • The FEGBA support system will be changed in favour of FE4's pairing system. Still thinking this one out, but my aim is to make it a lot less tedious to gain supports. Some supports may be rewritten or touched up depending on whether they're interesting or not.
  • New weapons and classes shall make an appearance to allow for more diverse gameplay.
  • Redesigning of maps (I felt that this is a key area that let the game down), which most of the time will stay faithful to the original, but in some cases, may get a complete revamp. I've already done up to chapter 15.
  • New enemy palettes for the armies of different nations and territories (e.g. Bern, Etruria, Laus etc.).
  • All portraits will get touched up and some will be revamped for better quality.
  • And most importantly an improved script. One that won't have the same repetitive style of the FE series, but one that thinks outside the box and can convey the different emotions of the cast. This is one of the key lessons I've learnt from the time I've spent so far on Shatterlight.

Q: This sounds rubbish interesting, but do you honestly think you can get this done all by yourself?

No, not at all. I know that this project is incredibly ambitious, and I'm sure many of you would like to remind me of how this will never come to fruition, yet I'd at least like to give it my best effort. I want to create a game not just for me to enjoy, but for all fans to enjoy. I'll gladly accept help from anyone who can sprite, hack, write, map; anything. I suppose I'm a jack of all trades, but I'm more skilled at the graphical side of things.

Q: LOL ok, I might want to help out on this, but how can I?

Glad you asked! I'll soon upload a mug request topic, where I'll uploaded the current compilation sheet and all the details you need for the new characters in the cast. If you have anything you'd like to donate, or if you'd like to reserve a character to redo, just post there :))

I'm also happy to take PMs if you'd like to help with writing, or anything else that will help towards the progression of this hack! I'm also happy to do trading in services, which might appeal to more people (check out the spriter's guild I guess for what I do :P)

Q: Great, but how do I know that you mean business?

Heh, I definitely mean business, I'll upload in the near future screenshots of Chapter 1, and I'll carry on updating you guys as I go along.

I hope you're all pleased to hear about the birth of a new hack, but more importantly, I want you to give me criticism! Constructive criticism is the most crucial part of making anything successful, and whether its good or bad, I'd like to here it. I'd consider myself a perfectionist, so I always take these sorts of things on board. :P

As a question to all of you, what would you like to see in FE6 that would make it a more enjoyable game? Also the name's still pending, can anyone come up with a better title? :'D

Anyways, thanks for reading, I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts. :)

[spoiler=Screenshots (Chapter 1)]

SEYa8Rw.png?1YHD1ruI.png?1o8KzbCY.png?1wE8i3oQ.png?11VOfhch.png?1ZfGqYQg.png?1?7854

Edited by Haku

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're going to have to elaborate on the FE4 pairing system bit, unless you mean "GBA support system minus adjacency for points requirement". Unless you're talking about gaining support points via talk events too.

Also, are you going to do anything about the monotonous chapter flow? Everything but Final was a seize map, and while that's not a bad goal it gets repetitive after 20+ consecutive chapters. I can see several chapters being rout or kill boss, and I'd be really interested if you managed to fit a defense map in somewhere.

You're going to have to elaborate on the FE4 pairing system bit, unless you mean "GBA support system minus adjacency for points requirement". Unless you're talking about gaining support points via talk events too.

Also, are you going to do anything about the monotonous chapter flow? Everything but Final was a seize map, and while that's not a bad goal it gets repetitive after 20+ consecutive chapters. I can see several chapters being rout or kill boss, and I'd be really interested if you managed to fit a defense map in somewhere.

Mm, I think that's what I had in mind for supports, so perhaps if units were within three spaces of each other, they gain a certain number of support points, but if they're adjacent, they gain more support points.

I'm definitely changing the objectives, that's something I forgot to mention. There'll definitely be seize, survival, defend, rout, escape etc. One of the chapters I have the events and map for is a defend chapter, as a matter of fact.

My suggestions.

Make Fa the demon dragon and Idoun the manake

/shot

You should make the Final Boss - Idoun - be a whole lot tougher. (higher hp would be nice, maybe higher than FE7 and FE8's final boss? :P)

Triple her range and increase her move and give her bonus ability. (fuck everyone)

andmakeherrecruitable

zTyk734.png

A while back, I touched up Roy's portrait to better resemble his SSBM appearence, intending to use it in a hack of my own. It still uses FE6's coloring style, but I'm too lazy to convert it to FE7's style. Feel free to use it if you want.

Alternatively we could just remake FE6 for the Wii U complete with FE9/10/13 skills, rewritten script and chapters, and full voice acting for every stinking line in the game along with no S-Support marriages or broken Pair Up crap.

My suggestions.

Make Fa the demon dragon and Idoun the manake

/shot

You should make the Final Boss - Idoun - be a whole lot tougher. (higher hp would be nice, maybe higher than FE7 and FE8's final boss? :P)

Triple her range and increase her move and give her bonus ability. (fuck everyone)

andmakeherrecruitable

Yes, let's do that

Idoun will be one of the final bosses, and she'll definitely have her stats improved, and have a larger range etc. I plan on having two other final bosses in seperate chapters btw.

zTyk734.png

A while back, I touched up Roy's portrait to better resemble his SSBM appearence, intending to use it in a hack of my own. It still uses FE6's coloring style, but I'm too lazy to convert it to FE7's style. Feel free to use it if you want.

Alternatively we could just remake FE6 for the Wii U complete with FE9/10/13 skills, rewritten script and chapters, and full voice acting for every stinking line in the game along with no S-Support marriages or broken Pair Up crap.

Thanks for donating :) It does however look more like a mug for his promoted class. I suppose I can use it as a placeholder for now, but I plan on giving Roy a completely new mug to resemble his Hasha no Tsurugi design.

Wii U sucks lol

Edited by Haku

Headcanon: Roy's Melee appearance is his promoted appearance. Therefore he is secretly a Jeigan and explains why competitive players rank him so low on the tier list.

Isn't his Hasha design the same as his official artwork? And I wasn't kidding about the Wii U part.

Headcanon: Roy's Melee appearance is his promoted appearance. Therefore he is secretly a Jeigan and explains why competitive players rank him so low on the tier list.

Isn't his Hasha design the same as his official artwork? And I wasn't kidding about the Wii U part.

does this apply to anything lol

9DXMoQu.png

Edited by XxXPierogiMaztR3pleXxX

does this apply to anything lol

9DXMoQu.png

That would be great to use for his promoted animation, thanks! (although I'm very far off that yet xP)

On a different note, currently I'm getting help from several spriters with new and improved mugs, I'll soon be getting help from Siuloir with some music porting, and the chapter 1 map should soon be fully functional :D I just need to get my head round events for cutscene maps ><

I'll possibly start a mug request topic tomorrow too, if I have the time.

Edited by Haku

This hack sounds like it will be quite excellent. In particular, it fills me with joy that you like the idea of Roy's SSB armor being his promoted design, as is shown in Hasha no Tsurugi.
I also like the planned inclusion of Hasha no Tsurugi, EN, and FE7x elements.

And most importantly an improved script. One that won't have the same repetitive style of the FE series, but one that thinks outside the box and can convey the different emotions of the cast. This is one of the key lessons I've learnt from the time I've spent so far on Shatterlight.

Hmmmmmmm?????

I was hoping I could use your translation as a base, although I'm adding a lot of new events and dialogues. Would you be ok with that? :P Lol I'm actually playing through FE6 with your translation atm to refresh my memory of all the chapters fully.

Edited by Haku

Ah, were they? I didn't really notice lol... I guess then that I'll look at the manga to see what stats each new character excels in, and then choose the stats and growths from there...

I was hoping I could use your translation as a base, although I'm adding a lot of new events and dialogues. Would you be ok with that? :P Lol I'm actually playing through FE6 with your translation atm to refresh my memory of all the chapters fully.

That's fine. I don't mind anyone using my hacks for their own projects.

I just feel that the characters are one of the series' strong suits since at least FE4, so I'm not really sure what's "repetitive" about the scripts.

That's fine. I don't mind anyone using my hacks for their own projects.

I just feel that the characters are one of the series' strong suits since at least FE4, so I'm not really sure what's "repetitive" about the scripts.

I think he means the narrative structure and general theme - "Oh, X Empire on the move. Oh wait, there's something else going on here...Oh look, it's dragons!"

As far as characterization goes, the Elibe games are very hit and miss. Some ancillary characters are wonderfully done (Renault) whereas other, more central characters (Lyn) get terrible development.

If we're speaking the entire post FE4 era though, I agree with Gringe. FE's best characterization has always been in its support conversations, though.

When I say repetitve, I mean that the layout of each chapter is "Oh look, X is here, he looks strong! We must proceed with caution!". Then when the party reaches the boss, he/she will say "Do you really think you can beat me!?". Then they do, and Roy mentions how "It was a difficult battle" and then keeps on saying to Guinevere how "It must be so difficult being an enemy of your own country" and the like. So instead I'm aiming to give each minor boss his/her own individual character development through cutscenes and similar methods, and the outcome of each chapter will vary regularly. I'm not explaining myself very well >< Hopefully you'll be able to understand when I release my FEE3 LP though.

Siuloir's point though does hit the nail on the head though in terms of the overall storyline. I also have two new routes planned for Al and his group while Roy's group head to Sacae and Ilia. I'm not saying where to yet :P

When I say repetitve, I mean that the layout of each chapter is "Oh look, X is here, he looks strong! We must proceed with caution!". Then when the party reaches the boss, he/she will say "Do you really think you can beat me!?". Then they do, and Roy mentions how "It was a difficult battle" and then keeps on saying to Guinevere how "It must be so difficult being an enemy of your own country" and the like. So instead I'm aiming to give each minor boss his/her own individual character development through cutscenes and similar methods, and the outcome of each chapter will vary regularly. I'm not explaining myself very well >< Hopefully you'll be able to understand when I release my FEE3 LP though.

Siuloir's point though does hit the nail on the head though in terms of the overall storyline. I also have two new routes planned for Al and his group while Roy's group head to Sacae and Ilia. I'm not saying where to yet :P

Nabata Desert and Dread Island?

Okay, well, one thing I've found in doing the retranslation is that FE6's storytelling as it is is certainly limited due to the lack of cutscenes like FE7 and beyond have. If you can do things like showing Roartz scheming directly instead of Cecilia expositing to Roy about it, it could be an improvement.

Here's what I think about your goals. Hope you don't mind, but if you're planning on using my script as a base, I'm gonna voice some opinions. Listen or not, I guess. :P

• An expansion and improvement of the main storyline, preferably using Elibian Nights and FE7x’s canon, if I get the permission of both these hacks' creators (I sent a PM a while back :'( ).

Overall the way the story is told could use some touch ups, but I'm not sure why you want to include other fan works as canon. It seems like it would be more limiting if anything. At most pay homage with a boss somewhere or something.

One major change to the story I've seen mentioned is changing the "war dragons" to "morph dragons." This would give it a bigger link to FE7 and makes sense in-universe.

• A completely new side story with Al as the protagonist, which will be an integral part of the game's plot. It will roughly follow the events of the manga 'Hasha no Tsurugi', and both Roy and Al's routes will merge and split at different points in the game. New characters from the manga will be playable and I may add a few others depending. I've mapped 5 chapters for Al's route so far, and done 1 event script.

Honestly I don't understand the desire to canonize the manga. It contradicts the game in key areas and includes elements that would take too much focus away from the main conflict. If you're intent on including manga characters, I'd say make them minor characters you can recruit in gaiden chapters and keep them low-key in terms of story (IE don't make Al a sword-wielding manakete; make him a mercenary and forget that he's a dragon)

• Several characters from FE7 shall be making a return, and majority of them shall be referenced in some way or another, to bridge the gaps between the two games, which I feel was something that the Elibe games lacked.

Could work okay if you don't go overboard, but part of the fun is precisely in the mystery of what happened to the characters. I'm not sure I agree with the MAJORITY of characters being referenced. Maybe a few important ones like Lyn and Rath but I would also avoid canonizing certain pairings.

• A rebalance of all units bases and growths so that all characters have an opportunity to be used. Some characters will be harder to raise, but will reap a greater reward.

Sounds like a good idea, but this is easy enough to do within FE6 as it is. Try to revamp the characters' growth rates to make them less likely to be screwed over.

• The FEGBA support system will be changed in favour of FE4's pairing system. Still thinking this one out, but my aim is to make it a lot less tedious to gain supports. Some supports may be rewritten or touched up depending on whether they're interesting or not.

Why not FE9's support system? It just requires the player to deploy units together and conversations are activated between chapters so it has no tedium by design. I would suggest keeping rewrites of supports to a minimum. Having gone through the whole script, most of the support conversations contribute to the characters' personalities or histories and only a handful are worthless (Ogier x Wendy is hands down the worst in my opinion).

• New weapons and classes shall make an appearance to allow for more diverse gameplay.

Cool if done well. Again, don't go overboard. A lot of people like FE8's classes, but PERSONAL OPINION TIME, I feel the animations clash with the style of FE6 and FE7 and they stick out like a sore thumb.

• Redesigning of maps (I felt that this is a key area that let the game down), which most of the time will stay faithful to the original, but in some cases, may get a complete revamp. I've already done up to chapter 15.

Pretty key to improving the game. Good luck.

• New enemy palettes for the armies of different nations and territories (e.g. Bern, Etruria, Laus etc.).

Cool I guess.

• All portraits will get touched up and some will be revamped for better quality.

Yeah, this is pretty necessary. Some of the portraits just look a little silly (Sue, Elphin, a lot of the bosses).

• And most importantly an improved script. One that won't have the same repetitive style of the FE series, but one that thinks outside the box and can convey the different emotions of the cast. This is one of the key lessons I've learnt from the time I've spent so far on Shatterlight.

Well, good luck with this.

I know I have a lot of opinions. Take them with a grain of salt if they clash with your idea of a super awesome FE6.

Cool if done well. Again, don't go overboard. A lot of people like FE8's classes, but PERSONAL OPINION TIME, I feel the animations clash with the style of FE6 and FE7 and they stick out like a sore thumb.

You have a point. I imported FE8 Rogues into FE6 once and, although it worked fine with no problems, I found it to be much smoother and more fluid than most of FE6's animations (*cough* Cavalier and Fighter *cough*)

You have a point. I imported FE8 Rogues into FE6 once and, although it worked fine with no problems, I found it to be much smoother and more fluid than most of FE6's animations (*cough* Cavalier and Fighter *cough*)

Almost all the FE8 animations will be more fluid than things like Cavaliers, which have a 3 frame strike.

Part of it is also that many FE6 classes are worse-detailed versions of their later counterparts. (Compare the FE6 Merc to the FE7, or the FE6 Wyvern Rider.)

FE6 does have a few superior options though (The FE6 Bishop is much better looking, for one.)

Comparison time!

FkYXynX.png?1biS6pzP.png?1

The first chapter is pretty much fully functional now, I just need to change the dialogue and the placeholder mugs with the lovely new ones. :D Huge credit needs to go to Ash for helping me out on events too xD

I'm now using Fire Shell as a base for this project, you can find out more about it on FEU :)

Also have this too:

Nbttbng.png?1?1433

Edited by Haku

Heh, it really does imo. Also here you go :)

More screenshots. Majority of these updated mugs have been made by L95, who's been a great help in getting this project off the ground :D Lenh's also made some really cool mugs which you'll see in due course. :P

ZfGqYQg.png?1?78541VOfhch.png?1

Edited by Haku