The next FE?

AmericanBuizel

So, I'm wondering, what would everyone want to see in the next FE? Me personally, If we're talking home console, I'd personally would like to see the return of the artist Senri Kita (the artist who did the artwork for PoR and RD) to return as well as the core gameplay from Fates: Conquest.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why, but somehow I would like to see the return of the "Dismount" command Lol

Also the return of the Canto skill, the Sentinel class (I was expecting it to be the promotion of Soldiers for Fates, to be the counterpart of Spear Masters) and keep something similar to My Castle.. I just liked the idea of watching the characters around the castle working or just hanging out, but if is possible, I would like a new option to interact with the mounts lol (i want to pet a wyvern). Keeping Attack stance and Defense stance is good for me too

Canto + Pair Up/Shelter is ridiculously broken. The game gets really easy to abuse if you can do that (one might already argue that Pair Up + Shelter is broken), so not sure I would want to see the return of Canto unless they got rid of the Pair Up system.

Yeah, I haven't played Fates: Conquest yet (or any paths of Fates) so I have no idea how broken the Canto+Pair Up thing is. I'm mainly going off of what I've heard from others who've played Conquest.

Well next one is likely coming for NX unless support for the 3DS continues beyond the NX launch.

I really want to see Tellius-style Base Conversations return. Those had some nice hints about upcoming chapters as well as some good world-building. In fact, I'd appreciate some world building in general.

I would like to see a new artist or at least the return of an older one. No hate for Kozaki, but I'd like to see a different style. I hope and pray for a new art director though. One that doesn't have a fascination for panty armor.

As for gameplay, I don't really have to many specifics other than bringing back magic variety. Bring back Light magic and have more Dark magic variety. And while you're at it, put some effort into the magic animations, because Fates' sucked. What the hell did they do to Fimbulvetr?!

And if the Avatar thing must return (though I wish it wouldn't), let it be a side character and let the main characters do their job.

Well next one is likely coming for NX unless support for the 3DS continues beyond the NX launch.

I really want to see Tellius-style Base Conversations return. Those had some nice hints about upcoming chapters as well as some good world-building. In fact, I'd appreciate some world building in general.

I would like to see a new artist or at least the return of an older one. No hate for Kozaki, but I'd like to see a different style. I hope and pray for a new art director though. One that doesn't have a fascination for panty armor.

As for gameplay, I don't really have to many specifics other than bringing back magic variety. Bring back Light magic and have more Dark magic variety. And while you're at it, put some effort into the magic animations, because Fates' sucked. What the hell did they do to Fimbulvetr?!

And if the Avatar thing must return (though I wish it wouldn't), let it be a side character and let the main characters do their job.

Yeah, I'm pretty much aware the next one is coming to the NX. I highly doubt the 3DS will continue to gain support after the NX launches (other than for Pokemon).

Same here, those were my favorite parts of Path of Radiance. That, and how deep the politics in the Tellius games felt.

TBH, like I said in my OG post, I'd like to see the artist of PoR return. If they have to get a new artist for the series, then I guess the artist behind animes like 'Heroic Legends of Arslan' would work? But yeah, they REALLY need to get rid of the current art director. If the weebs that like Awakening REALLY must have panties, that's what the internet is for.

I pretty much agree with that. Though, the animations really aren't the biggest problem with the newer games, there's also the broken mechanics introduced.

Yeah, I pretty much want all future avatars to be like Mark from FE7 and for the main character of the next game to get into Smash as a playable character (assuming there's not another FE game after this one).

Yeah, I'm pretty much aware the next one is coming to the NX. I highly doubt the 3DS will continue to gain support after the NX launches (other than for Pokemon).

Same here, those were my favorite parts of Path of Radiance. That, and how deep the politics in the Tellius games felt.

TBH, like I said in my OG post, I'd like to see the artist of PoR return. If they have to get a new artist for the series, then I guess the artist behind animes like 'Heroic Legends of Arslan' would work? But yeah, they REALLY need to get rid of the current art director. If the weebs that like Awakening REALLY must have panties, that's what the internet is for.

I pretty much agree with that. Though, the animations really aren't the biggest problem with the newer games, there's also the broken mechanics introduced.

Yeah, I pretty much want all future avatars to be like Mark from FE7 and for the main character of the next game to get into Smash as a playable character (assuming there's not another FE game after this one).

Senri Kita does have my favorite art style in the franchise so I would be all for her return. :)

To be fully honest, from my perspective, if Intelligent Systems is going to insist on this whole "the Avatar is the player" thing they keep trying to have us believe, then I think they need to take some lessons from Atlus and make the Avatar silent with dialogue choices (battle quotes are still good of course). That really is the best way to handle it.

Senri Kita does have my favorite art style in the franchise so I would be all for her return. :)

To be fully honest, from my perspective, if Intelligent Systems is going to insist on this whole "the Avatar is the player" thing they keep trying to have us believe, then I think they need to take some lessons from Atlus and make the Avatar silent with dialogue choices (battle quotes are still good of course). That really is the best way to handle it.

Same.

Pretty much. That, and get rid of the waifu marriage shit that plagued the newer games.

It would be nice to see more customization options, but that's pretty much a given. Getting to choose a different skin tone and possibly avatar personality might be too much to ask, but we can still hope, right?

THIS PLEASE

I haven't played any Fates yet myself, but I hear that Conquest's gameplay was a huge hit, so I hope they'll continue to create better maps and gameplay mechanics as time goes on. A more well-developed world would really help with immersion, too.

New voice actors would be great! Fates really introduced a lot of newer voice actors to the business, so I'll be praying for the new FE to let us hear some more variety!

Overall, I hope IS listens to the feedback and opinions of the fans and will make a more polished game next time in terms of story, world-building, and characterization. I definitely think slimming down the cast (and possibly removing the whole children feature if they don't make sense in-game) would help with a lot of development of other more important characters.

Let's see:

.) Bring back Senri Kita. If unable, change the art director.

.) Please give me a solider-based class. I don't have anything against the Spear Fighter class line or its Japanese inspiration—but I just want my Western-inspired foot solider.

.) Bring back the bird tribe transformations. Of the shapeshifters, the bird laguz (hawk, raven and heron) were my favorites.

.) Limit support conversations between each character. Romance, I don't mind, but full out marriage should only be acknowledged after the narrative during character endings—unless it serves an important purpose. On a similar note, if character achieve the highest rank of support (either A+ or S), have other characters casually comment on it during down time. Something like, "You and X are looking have been spending a lot of time together. Something going on?" or "I saw how your cheeks flushed when Y looked your way." It would help establish a relationship, even though it would still be relatively shallow.

.) Bring back base conversations from FE9/10 like Sentinel07 said.

.) I actually don't mind the Avatar system—but I do understand most of the grievances people have with it. For me personally, I just want a character I can change the name, hair and skin color of—the character could remain wholly silent, with supports fleshing out background and quirks. I would like a dialogue system that could determine personality and which supports are available during different runs, but I assume people would be annoyed they are unable to support certain options because of a choice they made. Tough titty, you can't have everything you want. They called "consequences."

.) I want a non-lord main character/avatar character. I would personally like to hear the story of a group of underdogs fighting to get from under the thumb of an unjust rule. Basically, I want FE: Tactics Ogre: LUCT, along with the proper repercussions of making certain decisions.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Literally everyone's answer so far is "Make it like 9 but even better."

That's not a bad thing honestly.

I don't feel like retyping this out since it got moved while I was editing it.

Not like it really matters. My opinion didn't add much honestly. :/

Edited by TrueEm

Hey, let's be different~!

- Minimal story, minimal characters, less for the fanbase to complain about

- Infinite weapons can stay

- Bring back proper stealing

- If there's a second gen, murder the first one

- Chapter prologues when

- Luck = crit negation

EDIT: And off this goes to a better subforum.

Edited by eggclipse

I generally agree with eclipse, but in my own words.

Let's expand on the gameplay more, maybe bring back some features from 5 & 10 and of course some of Conquests design choices, I generally like how Fates did things, but I'd like less of a focus on the characters being super gimmicky and have some actual character development that happens in supports, differing parts of it in different convos.

Or just make the story simplistic and make supports mostly a gameplay feature like FE10 did, I think FE works best when its simplistic in tone, and has good challenging gameplay.

Also I'd rather not see a 2nd gen again, or if you actually do it, then get rid of the first gen, aka the only good way its been really done so far.

Edited by Jedi

It would be nice to see more customization options, but that's pretty much a given. Getting to choose a different skin tone and possibly avatar personality might be too much to ask, but we can still hope, right?

THIS PLEASE

I haven't played any Fates yet myself, but I hear that Conquest's gameplay was a huge hit, so I hope they'll continue to create better maps and gameplay mechanics as time goes on. A more well-developed world would really help with immersion, too.

New voice actors would be great! Fates really introduced a lot of newer voice actors to the business, so I'll be praying for the new FE to let us hear some more variety!

Overall, I hope IS listens to the feedback and opinions of the fans and will make a more polished game next time in terms of story, world-building, and characterization. I definitely think slimming down the cast (and possibly removing the whole children feature if they don't make sense in-game) would help with a lot of development of other more important characters.

For the customizable avatar thing, I can understand where people are coming from, but you do have to consider the fact that Fire Emblem games usually base their settings off of medevil western Europe. But, I would also like the ability to choose a personality.

Let's see:

.) Bring back Senri Kita. If unable, change the art director.

.) Please give me a solider-based class. I don't have anything against the Spear Fighter class line or its Japanese inspiration—but I just want my Western-inspired foot solider.

.) Bring back the bird tribe transformations. Of the shapeshifters, the bird laguz (hawk, raven and heron) were my favorites.

.) Limit support conversations between each character. Romance, I don't mind, but full out marriage should only be acknowledged after the narrative during character endings—unless it serves an important purpose. On a similar note, if character achieve the highest rank of support (either A+ or S), have other characters casually comment on it during down time. Something like, "You and X are looking have been spending a lot of time together. Something going on?" or "I saw how your cheeks flushed when Y looked your way." It would help establish a relationship, even though it would still be relatively shallow.

.) Bring back base conversations from FE9/10 like Sentinel07 said.

.) I actually don't mind the Avatar system—but I do understand most of the grievances people have with it. For me personally, I just want a character I can change the name, hair and skin color of—the character could remain wholly silent, with supports fleshing out background and quirks. I would like a dialogue system that could determine personality and which supports are available during different runs, but I assume people would be annoyed they are unable to support certain options because of a choice they made. Tough titty, you can't have everything you want. They called "consequences."

.) I want a non-lord main character/avatar character. I would personally like to hear the story of a group of underdogs fighting to get from under the thumb of an unjust rule. Basically, I want FE: Tactics Ogre: LUCT, along with the proper repercussions of making certain decisions.

I really do think a lot of this should be done, however, I really wouldn't mind if the main character was a lord again. True, it worked for Ike and his story, but Fire Emblem games have always had a prince (or princess) as the main character. I'd like to see the lord have some cool powers and/or abilities though so they can fight in Smash.

EDIT: That, and I'd like to see the marriage and children mechanic go. I'm getting tired of seeing it.

Edited by AmericanBuizel

That, and I'd like to see the marriage and children mechanic go. I'm getting tired of seeing it.

I can agree on that. While it was fun to ship people, it's poorly executed in Fates.

Although if they bring back children in a way that actually means something like in Genealogy and Awakening, I'd be fine with it. Not in the next game, but somewhere down the line.

As a side note, I kinda want the Summoner class to return. Sure, it wasn't the best, but it was interesting and brought in some new strategies.

Also Light Magic needs to come back, duh.

Edited by TrueEm

The return of a Support System like GBA/FE9, with C-A ranks only and a five conversation limit, no "everyone Supports everyone" nonsense that FE13/14 had

No Avatar.

Simple but well done story like FE8.

Map Objective variety.

Kittens

radically different everything

make the game take place in a magical fantasy land with whatever you can literally throw in it

new artist (Kozaki is cool but artists should always switch between consoles, which is why the Kita requests are lol)

new aesthetic (make everything as final fantasy as possible)

a big sized cast with gimmicky personalities to make them stand out

marriage

a cool avatar with swords/staves

lots of fanservicy eye candy people

over the top outfits and animations

typical gameplay but a fresh coat of paint.

lots of vibrant, popping colors like Tokyo Mirage Sessions

tons of vocal tracks with a large variety of genres (pop, bossa nova, hip hop, jazz, whatever. i'm thinking along the lines of a mix of persona and sonic adventure 2 here)

maybe even a modern day fantasy setting like FFXV

new weapon aesthetics (not new types, just even more insane designs)

a cast of characters that are primarily teenagers like persona

a story that aims to be a campy pastiche of other serious fe games and instead works on humor

down to earth writing. flowery writing is boring. my goal is here is something like xenoblade x

so basically just make persona emblem chronicles #xv and we're all set

Edited by Enigmar

As a side note, I kinda want the Summoner class to return. Sure, it wasn't the best, but it was interesting and brought in some new strategies.

Also Light Magic needs to come back, duh.

Summoner was a really cool class concept, I'd honestly love to see it again.

I want steal back like in 9/10 because it was so much fun to walk up to an enemy and rob them of everything but their equipped weapon, have supports be a combo of GBA and 9 where people can only support around 5 others but have the supports happen between maps and be in depth, different map objectives I get really bored with all the seize maps and I like it when something different is needed to clear a map, I like my castle and if it returns I would be fine with it, online play should return, no children unless they have a real reason to be in the story like in 4, I agree with people saying the avatar should be like in SMT it would be better and I would feel more like the avatar was me then the way Fates did it and bring back the magic triangle and light magic I miss have all three types of magic on my team.

Classed base skills are nice and all but I'd really like to see a return of skill scrolls as the primary way of distributing abilities. So far the only game where it's been used to proper effect is Radiant Dawn (and even then capacities were usually too low to actually make many interesting combinations).

Oh and bring back third tiers but keep branched promotion

Edited by Jotari

Multiple factions. X Vs. X Vs. X instead of Player and Allies vs. Red or Player vs. Red and Red.

A... different art direction. SOmeone who gives the characters battle appropriate armor. Sure the silly or sexy designs may distract your enemies, but... really it's not practical.

A pseudo version of My Castle. Every few chapters, you're allowed to return to camp for your supplies, think like

- Ch. 7 > Camp > Ch. 8 > Ch. 9 > Ch. 10 > Camp

It would still have you be at least a little more thoughtful on what you get because you wouldn't know when your next break would be (unless you looked up a walkthrough). I think it'd be interesting because then "This is going to be a big battle. We have to prepare" will also still work, because you may go like four or five chapters without more resources.

Bring back "talking to NPCs in the middle of the battle". If Iremember right, Fates pretty much gave you everyone.

Bring Personal Skills into the next FE, and TRY not to have too many ones that are similar to Fates', or have any ones that are basically the same (unless characters are meant to be opposites, friends, ETC think Rose's Thorns and Lily's Poise.)

Remove children if they are going to be alongside the first generation. I am someone who loves most of the kids, but in Fates you can't deny they were just shoe horned in for the people who liked them in Awakening (come on, I played Awakening for my first FE). I don't mind the kids, but they really didn't need to be in Fates at all. Why couldn't they just be other characters? Why not characters already born? OR if they won't remove kids, then do it like FE4 (Genalogy of the Holy War) with generations across the entire game, using the Lover system. This mixed with the Support system (ehhh get rid of it, cuz no more kids. Just have people already wed please; like Pent and Louise) But yeah, this generational system mixed with Fates gameplay, like the way they let characters have dual hits if they were next to each other, would be cool. AND AND AND, if children could inherit Personal skills, like I mention in the above mini paragraph, this would fit even better.

Well...

That's all my ideas.

One big idea I have is to make Spearmen di effective damage to horsemen. In actual military tactics, pikes were used to counter cavalry charges, so I think it would be a good addition; it would also make the Soldier class line less underpowered, which is good. Another mechanic I think would be cool is giving the enemy a strategy. For example, on one map they could try to get you in a pincer movement, and use guerrilla tactics on the others. Having the enemy play defensively like in some maps in Conquest would be welcome as well. Other than that, fire Fate's writers, keep whoever designed Conquest's maps (and give him a raise for good measure) and I think you have the makings of a great game. As for the story, I think that they should remove MU definitely, but also do a generic FE story but with a twist. For example, have the ambitious King completely play the Dark Cult and only use them to get more power, and then throw them aside. But really, as long as the story isn't Neo Nazi propaganda or something it can be as bad as it wants if the gameplay's good.

I would like to see actual siege engines besides ballista and defensive catapults. I would love to see a game where half of your units could stand near a trebuchet and take 3 turns to fire it once the entire map to shatter a wall with 200 or more HP. But it could have a low hit rate against troops on the wall. Put a little more Medieval in it.

I was thinking something completely different. One idea that's been tickling me for a while is light and dark staffs. Light staffs heal and buff,dark inflict status effects and debuff.that way sorcerers cam use staffs and be difficult from sages

That gives me an idea on how many weapon types their could be in a multi-faction Fire Emblem Game:

Swords/Katana/Sickles

Lances/Naginata/Glaives

Axes/Clubs/Hammers

Bows/Yumi/Crossbows

Kunai/Shuriken/Bayonets

Tomes/Scrolls/Chants

Staves/Rods/Prayers

Dragonstones/Beaststones/Natural Weapons

Bonuses:

Swords: spd+1

Katana: +5 effective speed

Sickles: +10 avoid

Lances: def+1

Naginata: +5 crit

Glaives: might x1.25 on counterattack

Axes: str+1

Clubs: enemy loses 5% of HP on hit

Hammers: 1.25x effectiveness against Armor

Bows: skl+1

Yumi: +1 rng

Crossbows: +50 avoid against flying units

Kunai: res+1

Shuriken: makes enemy vulnerable to doubling

Bayonet: +5 to activation rates

Tomes: +1 mag

Scrolls: doubles weapon triangle effects

Chants: 1.25x effectiveness against axes/clubs/hammers

Of course, this would mean there would have to be more than 5 inventory slots to account, and a lot more varied class selection.