Rate the Unit, Day 12: Chad

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- Ratings for characters should always assume the gameplay route YOU judge them best on. If I see "doesn't exist in sacae" ANYWHERE in your rating for Juno I will be very cross and will probably throw out your vote out of spite.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

AVERAGES

Bors: 1.14

Wolt: 2.16

Ward: 2.61

Merlinus: 3.53

Roy: 3.54

Lot: 5.40

Ellen: 5.73

Dieck: 7.94

Thany: 8.01

Alan: 8.52

Lance: 8.59

Marcus: 8.77

haha thany is .15 worse than vanessa

okay time for chad

rate him low because he's stupid and a dillweed

A thief with a good support pool and has availability!

Pair that with the swag he keeps on getting! Unfortunately; by midgame to lategame... Not much of use cause he can't promote; enjoy risking him when you meet Siege tomes!

5.5, for an added kick in the nuts for him; he's unlikely to support anyone; forever aloneeeee~! -1 for him... Hahaha!

Edited by Frostbite

The finest copypasta, like Mamma used to make.

His combat is pretty pathetic frankly, his durability is pretty bad and he tends to scratch enemies twice if he inflicts damage at all, but that's not why you're using him, is it? His thiefing is his main selling point, and the fact that he's the first gets him major brownie points. You'll get a few chapters of use out of him, which is more than can be said for some other earlygame units, but once his level 10 compatriot comes around, unless you've been training him, he'll probably get benched. But Astohl can't get every chest in a reasonable timeframe, because Etruria and Ilia are assholes who can't even put their country's most valuable treasures in a single room so I can steal them easily, and using Cath is a special torture reserved for those in the seventh circle of Hell, so Chad can make himself useful. Just don't expect him to be swinging Durandal around.

6/10

Ok Chad. He is pretty cool when first gotten as the next chapter immediately throws you some pirate reinforcements and he can just like sit in the forest with such pro avoid. Growths are fantastic, and if he could promote then he would be one of the best units in the game. But that's the thing he cannot promote. Going through the game more you'll see an influx of Lance users and Generals which horribly screws him up. Being Sword-locked also hinders combat ability. But, he is still a thief. He gives you like 10000 gold and can net you some neat stuff plus the shit in the desert.

I give him a 6/10 because theoretically he can turn into a great combat unit but cannot be used in the late game because of all those Wyverns running around. But, he steals shit so that's good.

As a fighter, he's got pretty limited potential but uses what he's got decently enough. As a thief, though, he does rake in a fair bit of cash. Thief utility's reasonably valuable here in FE6 and on HM you want all the funds you can get. Chad can get them, and he has availability and supports on every other thief (not great supports, but he supports better characters than they do at least).

6.5/10. What he contributes, he contributes well, he's just a utility character 90% of the time. Lack of promotion hurts any long-term combat potential, but on the other hand he doesn't require you waste a promo item on him. Then again, it's not like his contributions wouldn't be able to justify shelling out the money to get him one... but he can't anyway, so it's academic.

Awesome growths.

Meh bases aside from speed.

Nice utility, availibility, and support pool

Nice earlygame and isles.

8 base attack-:facepalm:

still, useful until Asthol comes around

7/10

Steals/unlocks a bunch of early items, almost immune to axes. Sucks they never gave a thief a way to promote, but then being sword locked ruins combat potential quite a bit anyway. Still, he's invaluable in outfitting your units, regardless of his combat skills. 5/10

Chad will never be a combat unit, but he's quite good earlygame and in the western islands with all those axe users around. Even with his awesome growths he will quickly become a liability on the battlefiel when the number of lance wielders and generals increase.

But like we all know you don't rate thiefs for combat. He's your first thief so he has a little monopoly when he joins and while Astor is a better choice to use later on, he still does job well enough.....unless there are siege tomes.

8/10. 7.5 for being a good thief and 0.5 points for chipping at axe users.

5/10

He has only one role, and he's able to do it adequately for the most part. Still, no promotion, forgetable combat use, FragileSpeedster archetype, and is made effectively obsolete by a higher level unit later on altogether keeps him from being more than a situational use character.

Thieves are always great to have around, since they can get you lots of cash and rare items. Since FE6 has buyable stat boosters, the extra cash is especially important. Chad's combat is kinda bad, but at least he can dodge tank axe users and finish off some weak units. He's not top tier like Colm, but he's still a solid unit.

8/10

If nothing else, Chad will cap his unpromoted Speed, that's not a bad thing at all. Keeps him from getting slaughtered at least, although I'd keep his ass away from the later chapters with all the Lances even if he isn't being doubled.

A surprisingly useful unit, until lances.arrive.

Too bad he is stuck a thief, but at least he isn't Cath.

7/10

I found Chad's combat to be decent. To some extent I probably got lucky, but not knowing thieves couldn't promote in this game on my first run, I used his like a real combat unit and he had pretty good Str. In a lot of cases he was my best choice for boss slaying. In reality, I'm guessing that isn't supposed to happen, but I have to imagine normal Chads are usable.

7/10

Likely gets you good shit in C3, C6, C7 exclusively and doesn't hurt to be deployed in C8 because there's so much shit to get anyway. Durability of wet toilet paper. Combat is shit, but helps out with early axemen enough thanks to WTA. Has good growths but those bases are shit and he never promotes so they're basically wasted anyway.

6.5/10

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Good growths or not, his bases are kind of terribad except for speed, but he's a thief so speed for dodging is all he needs more or less. The stuff he gets you in early-game helps, although most sane people will throw him in a dumpster come Chapter 8. If you do use him, though, I guess an extra thief is cool, though that deployment slot could be put to better use.

6.5/10