Summoners

Knight

They're dark, they're mystical, they've only been in one game.

This is a thread for all things summoner, one of the funnest classes to use IMO. I never hear many comments on summoners, they certainly aren't as good combat units as Druids or Sages, but summoning phantoms is a really neat ability. I'm also wondering what people think should happen to the summoner, should it come back? How should the class change?

(also, I know Izuka is a summoner)

It's a shame that summoning appears so rarely since it was introduced in Gaiden. Especially in Tear Ring Saga, I appreciate the ability to distract enemy catapults and hidden archers with disposable meatshields.

I love Summoners and its one of the many reasons I love FE8. I really hope they come back in some future installment. Maybe with multiple options of things to summon as well (spirits, animals, monsters, etc).

The weapons they spawn with need to not be random, and the EXP they gain needs to go directly to the summoner. And item drops on enemies they kill should go to the convoy. Just quality of life stuff really.

Summoning actually isn't as uncommon as it might seem. Bright Bow already pointed out that it first appeared in Gaiden, but it also made a more recent appearance in the form of Tanith's reinforce skill.

Anyway, I always thought that enemy summoners would be interesting. They could function as mobile spawn points that can fight back. Obviously player-controlled summoners would have to function differently. I think it would be interesting to limit the summoner's combat ability in favor of giving them stronger and more varied phantoms to summon. The Einherjar cards in Awakening were an interesting idea that I think could be retooled and worked into a summoner class. I like the idea of a summoner only being able to conjure a basic phantom at first but later being able to call phantoms of their particular continent's heroes of yore and maybe various mythical creatures.

I didn't know they were in Gaiden and I forgot about Tanith (although she doesn't really count I don't think). I like some of those ideas, where you can make different types of phantoms.

The way I want to format my own version of summoners:

Phantom's stats are 1/2 summoner's stats, until the summoner reaches level 15. From there on, the summon has 3/4th the stats the summoner does.

The summoner can activate the "Defend" command on the next turn after summoning, which immobilizes him, but gives the phantom +2 movement, and the summoner +10 DEF/RES.

The phantom's weapon can be any of the four weapon types or a tome, and ranges from an E to a C rank based on a random die roll. You could get an iron sword, or a killer axe phantom, who knows?

This is how I'd make my summoners.

Enemy Summoners worked quite well back in TRS. They were indeed interesting enemies to fight.

Every Summoner can summon three monsters at once and this monsters can move immediately after they are summoned. Since you can look in their inventory to see what they will summon, they are never unfair. ...unlike the reinforcements in certain other DS and 3DS games. I especially hate love Harpie summons. As flying bow users, they make it difficult for other fliers to approach the Summoner or any other target in the area.

Edited by BrightBow

TRS summoners were amazing.

Also the number of summons is dependant on the Magic stat of the caster and if it's a maingame map or not. They're also at a variable level hovering around your summoner, though staff users get decreased experience pretty fast in this game.

A cool idea is making them always spawn with a slayer weapon like an Halberd, but the part of being random kind of takes the cool out of it as you cannot choose if you want a horse killer or a armor killer, either way our best summoner in SS is Knoll because high magic and he is really bad outside of summoning, most people don't bother making Ewan a Summoner because Ewan actually has stats outside of magic and so can kill stuff better than Knoll, the reason summoners aren't better is because our 2 potential summoners are either Nostats McEmo and Shotamage Estinon, one is bad the other needs massive amounts of training and both in the game where dark magic sucks the most.

I'd like if summoners could summon more than one phantom at a time but an infinite army of reinforcements would be a tad too broken. Maybe it could be like thanith's six maximum per chapter or maybe summoners could be competent fighters but for every phantom they summon it would reduce their stats as they're putting their power into the summoned phantom. A variety in classes of the summoned creatures would be nice too. Even hearing they're in Gaiden and Tear Ring Saga makes me want to play those games even more.

Edited by Jotari

Forever upset that Izuka wasn't recruitable. I know he's a dickface who deserves to die but DAMN did I wanna play as a Summoner.

I'm not upset Izuka wasn't recruitable, I was upset Pelleas wasn't a Summoner. I mean, come on, you had Tanith with Reinforce in 9. You took it out and couldn't retune the Dark Mage into a summoner?

I always loved it when a Phantom would spawn with a Killer Axe and absolutely wreck everything.

Obligatory images.

31-Daigerus1.png

20-yokaiy16.png

These are the best

Knoll's usually my go-to summoner since I like having one of each class and I feel he usually pales compared to Ewan due to Ewan's extra levels. I like Ewan as a Druid, and I've actually never unlocked Lyon so...

Lyon is legit the best summoner though. I mean... his summons have way better stats than the other two characters, to the point where I consider him a third tier class that summoners should promote to.

Only if you're willing to spend the cash on the stat boosts he needs, as he won't cap magic, defence or speed and he definitely needs some con for naglfar.

Only if you're willing to spend the cash on the stat boosts he needs, as he won't cap magic, defence or speed and he definitely needs some con for naglfar.

You make it sound like FE8 is a game where you don't have unlimited money and statboosters available. A better defense would be "Lyon can't support with anyone" but even that is almost nothing. Also the topic is about summoners, and considering summoners are going to be, you know, sending out their phantoms to fight, it stands to reason that the one with the better phantom is the better summoner. Lyon's abilities are hardly even bad as it is, since he has a 30 MAG/DEF/RES cap and a fairly good SPD cap. In fact, if you're going to debate his points as a character, he's the BEST summoner if relying on his own abilities, and even BETTER when you count his OP phantoms.

The only good defense you could make for Ewan/Knoll as summoners being better than Lyon is the goddamn insane amount of grinding you have to do to get Lyon. That's almost inexcusable. Isn't it beating the Tower like 10 times? Christ.

No, all you need is beating the Lagdou ruins 3 times. The tower isn't even required and unlocks different characters.

Bishops destroy that dungeon anyway, especially if you give them Dark magic. A lone Bishop with Nosferatu and a Chest Key for the final level with the Dragon Zombies is a fun sight.

Edited by Woodshooter

Exorcist is a weird name for a summoning class. You'd imagine they'd be more likely to banish or exercise monsters instead of summon them. I wonder if it's an accurate translation or just the best thing the translators were able to come up with.