Undertale

Cerbuirus

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the sake of not spoiling Undertale (which is hard because literally saying anything is spoiling some part of it), I'll just say Undertale tugs at your feelings way harder than Earthbound and has an extremely likable cast that not many games or other forms of media pull off well. However, Earthbound delivers cosmic horror very well. It's really hard to compare the two, but I found Undertale to be way funnier than Earthbound so there's that.

Mother 3 and undertale spoilers (pertains to npc dialogue in the first chapter you control lucas in in mother 3 and battles in early undertale)

I like to think the battle where the two dogs you can fool into thinking you're a puppy who can pet was inspired by the scene in mother 3 where bony shakes the hand of the club tittaboo bouncer.

Which demo? There is none in Steam...

I felt like playing this game after reading reviews and seeing how similar it is to Mother 3. I'll probably buy it... eventually...

I loved Undertale, it's one of the best games of the year, and I really hope that Toby Fox makes more stuff in the coming years.

However, I did have a slight problem with

the whole naming thing. Seeing as how the protagonists name is Frisk and whatnot, I'm not sure I see the point of even pretending like we named them. I get that it's supposed to turn out that we named the first human to fall into the underground, but I don't see why Frisk is identifying as said character the entire game when they didn't even know them, nor do I see why we're supposed to try and BE Frisk if Frisk is their own character the entire time. I brought up these concerns with a friend of mine and he more or less simplified it to "it doesn't matter". Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, probably my second favorite of all the games I've played in 2015, but I think that entire aspect is sort of pointless.

@Deviddo:

It takes some digging around in some unsavory paths to understand, but the first human (who true name is apparently supposedly Chara) is trying to control Frisk in a sort of pseudo-possession sense, and use Frisk to commit some . . . unsavory deeds. This is why you see "Chara" instead of Frisk in all the menus--though, if you paid attention to the dialogue, you'll notice that Asriel is the only person to actually call Frisk Chara, which (like the rest of the Undertale plot) is a direct result of his own rather unfortunate separation anxiety.

Everybody else in the underground refers to you as "child" or "human" or "Yo!" or something like that--this being because Frisk never tells them their name until achieving the true ending, which has a prerequisite of shunning all of Chara's omnicidal influences completely.

Apparently, Chara (as an influence on Frisk) is supposed to be a sort of demonic representation of every RPG insert-name-here protagonist, each of whose games usually having an objective (or at least a favorable result) involving the slaughter of endlessly respawning monsters--this being the most obvious connection they have with you, the likely player of these sorts of games. It didn't help, of course, that Chara (the fallen child) was already made to hate humanity long before even meeting Asriel. All this leads to the potential for a perfect storm where nothing survives in a world like Undertale, which flips the mechanics of these games of their head and follows them to their logical conclusion.

Edited by Tamarsamar

Out of interest what happens if you

[spoiler=thing at the beginning]let "flowey" hit you with those sparkle things?

You get knocked to 1 HP and Flowey calls you an idiot and introduces you to his "kill or be killed" spiel. Then he initiates the inescapable ring attack, before being interrupted by Toriel--who also heals you back to full.

I'm hoping it goes on sale for Halloween, even if it doesn't I'll still get it.

The demo was amazing.

[spoiler=Bad Demo ends]

I almost cried when I actually fought Toriel and beat her.

Then I cried when I got her to do her speech before attacking.

I had found it yesterday, now it's just waiting for me to play. Thanks, anyway.

I'm hoping it goes on sale for Halloween, even if it doesn't I'll still get it.

Same here. On that note, how often does Steam go on sale before the Winter Sale? Because I'm really looking forward to buy this game (and XCOM, which I fell in love with).

A friend of mine said it usually has an "autumn sale", but not always, and that it happens in mid or late October.

Edited by Rapier