Fire Emblem Online (Patch v0.6b Available!)

Lamia

Spoiler

In a technological and magical world of anthropomorphic animals, boredom strikes and a virtual reality RPG is developed to entertain and pass the time. Fire Emblem is a highly successful years-long active world game that takes place in a medieval setting, with knights and magic and castles and monsters. Its current incarnation features the aftermath of the Dragon War, of which the emperor of the dragons had conquered the continent; he was defeated and life in the game continued. Despite the long battles and detriment to the land, it was a well-received event among the players, and most hope for another to work out their urges for conflict.

Even so, conflict reigns supreme within the game. Setting upon certain land, a player can plant the roots of their empire and grow as much as they can, expanding their influence and claims. Power struggles are numerous, with players conquering each other through battle and corruption and reducing their opponents into poverty. The cycles repeat until one can command a continent, the main goal of the current era, as the rumors go. Regardless as to whether or not it's planned by the developers, most are doing their best to try and overtake everything they can. However, one of the main roadblocks to doing so are mercenaries.

Lamia, one of said mercenaries, is a young cat that likes to take it easy, but does like the gameplay and comforts the world can offer. Independent but with several friends, she's rather casual about playing but does her best to level up and get stronger. Mercenaries are lone or groups of players that have no interest in conquest, just wanting to enjoy the game for what it is or explore the world. Each one may buy a castle just as any other player; however, mercenaries have the ability to transport their castle to other lands, appearing randomly on others' soil, inviting trade, contracts for work, or battles for trespassing. Lamia is the type to do so, appearing in random locations throughout the continent she resides on. Her adventure featured here begins when a friendly nearby castle is suddenly raided, but raids lead to a chain of events that uncovers something sinister going on involving both the virtual reality and the real world.

In development since late 2012, this project is one of the rare English hacking community FE4 hacks out there. This is planned to be more in-depth than most, with several system tweaks, customized weapons and new magic types, new classes and items, maps and events, and more. Unlike the base game, this project does not have a generational system; instead, it is split into Part 1 and Part 2. It may hurt replay value, but it is not the intention of the game as a whole, and the story takes place on a much smaller time frame.

Currently, the first five chapters are playable. Many of the system tweaks are more or less finished; most of what's left are creating new maps and dialogue, and total portrait reconstruction of course due to the furry populace.

List of Changes

• New weapons and personal weapons
    • Additional Killer weapons, a number of personal weapons, extra skill-giving weapons
  • New magic tomes
    • Complete with their own mostly-custom animations
  • New accessories
    • More and different skill-giving jewelry and the like
  • New classes
    • Hero, Wyvern Knight, Trickster, Ranger, and more
  • New maps
    • Of course, none of which matches the continental view
  • New conversations
    • New characters means different characters interested in others, a wide variety of personalities
  • Event modification
    • Progression is generally different, some chapters especially having reduced numbers of castles
  • No children
    • The game is split into Part 1 and Part 2 instead, in order to preserve balance and to add longer familiarity and development with each character
  • Some changed graphics
    • Items and skills get new icons, the menus are a different color, more to come

System Changes

- Statscreen changes in the class name, map sprite position, and weapon ranks
- Gold cap decreased to 30000 (all items have been balanced to reflect this)
- Critical rates are displayed on the statscreen and also during battle, replacing the Level
- Force and Spirit magic do physical damage (this effectively makes Lamia a Strength-based mage)
- Magic Swords do magical damage at close range by default
- Weapon weight is reduced by STR/2 or MGC/2 depending on the weapon type
- NPC and Neutral-aligned unit battles use Real animation
- Previously hidden skills such as Canto and Recover now appear on statscreens and have proper names and descriptions
- S weapon rank has been added along with weapons
- Sword skills can now be activated by any weapon type
- Hit% is now calculated with Skill*2 + Luck*1
- Giving gold from one with the Steal skill gives up to half the giver's gold, up to 5000G

Things to not pay attention to

- Map animations will result in glitches and potential crashing, don't use it

- Portraits, because the entire populace are furries and it takes time to make new portraits, which I need to do for the player heroes and also every single boss and NPC

- Castle and enemy names, they'll all be reworked in the end

- Untranslated/unscripted dialogue and menu text stuff because I usually do the important things first like gameplay, however you have my assurance that character/class/item names won't be ignored

- Poor writing, I'll make a better-written story once I can complete the game

Chapter Progress:

Part 1-1: 99%

Part 1-2: 80% (map may be fully reworked)

Part 1-3: 95%

Part 1-4: 99%

Part 1-5: 99%

Part 1-6: 20%

Part 2-1: 0%

Part 2-2: 0%

Part 2-3: 0%

Part 2-4: 0%

Part 2-5: 0%

Part 2-6: 10%

Current Public WIP: Download IPS v0.6b

This patch is compatible with the original, (J) ROM, with a header.

here's some screenshots

BlWr0Ct.pngELO7fUT.png3iWvFvt.png
s8CwHEG.pngmkAtfO3.pnglFVV2wQ.png
pr9Gzs3.pngQFsXtiV.pngOcoMinI.png

things I need to figure out:
- decode battle sprite animations

- advanced event coding

- change which icons items use

- find all of the holy blood graphics
- probably more that don't come to mind right now

~ pukachi, camus, and whoever else made the original nightmare modules

~ shin for pointing out some stuff I've missed

~ the english FE romhack community for being cool and there
~ much of this project couldn't be done without all of the Binary research and data, thank you very much to all of the japanese FE4 hackers, without which this project most likely would not be where it is today, nor possibly exist without.

Edited by Lamia

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo, nice stuff. Have you been using the easy text patch or Twilkitri's tools. Either way, I'm thoroughly impressed. I have the sword skills patch lying around somewhere on my laptop, it should sort out your second problem. If there's anything else you want, feel free to ask.

Yo, nice stuff. Have you been using the easy text patch or Twilkitri's tools. Either way, I'm thoroughly impressed. I have the sword skills patch lying around somewhere on my laptop, it should sort out your second problem. If there's anything else you want, feel free to ask.

would be nice to have the patch, but the actual addresses to change would be better

and dunno what else I would want that you have

I've been using a combination of the easytext patch and old notes and such of darktwilkitri's for things, thankfully an old friend of mine had them

Am I the only one that noticed that there's Caeda and Ogma in the arena?

that's two of the arena characters for chapter 1 (hint, hint)

Are you in any way related to pukachi? (given the furry stuff and the SNESFE hacking)

Anyways, nice work :D: Perhaps one day you can share all your hacking notes with us so we can make cool hax too

Are you in any way related to pukachi? (given the furry stuff and the SNESFE hacking)

Anyways, nice work :D: Perhaps one day you can share all your hacking notes with us so we can make cool hax too

pukachi has been helping me a little bit, knew him from a while back ago

and not sure what I would share that's unique exactly, what I've done is accessible to the public, except maybe some event stuff which I have been changing

here's a video of one of the new magic animations I coded, guess it turned out okay

I only have so much of the system to work with so I couldn't make it as good as FE3
(video obsolete)

Edited by Lorena

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

feh, I'm never gonna get any progress on this thing, but here you guys can play what I have, the first two chapters

keep in mind it's super WIP and there are still things to address (especially balance and whatnot)

also, if you guys find unused text, make a savestate and give it to me so I can correct it

this needs to be applied to a clean, headered Fire Emblem - Seisen no Keifu (J).smc ROM

(patch unavailable)

Warning: Do not set battle animations to Map
this is a repercussion of shifting classes around heavily

feel free to play past the two chapters if you want to be spoiled about new characters/classes and weapons, but keep in mind nothing past the second chapter is part of the end project

and do let me know of any glaring errors

enjoy (or not)

Edited by Lorena

I actually find this hack enjoyable. New maps are always bonus points in FE4 Hacks so yeah. I also find the dialogue pretty funny. In a good way of course.

If you ever decide to continue this I can do more recolors just PM me I guess. Its not the best help but might as well. lol.

• 3 months later...

finished chapter 3, have some teasers

[spoiler=nodion]FE4akanesim_00058.png

[spoiler=new skill icons]FE4akanesim_00064.png

[spoiler=new characters]FE4akanesim_00062.png

[spoiler=cutscene]FE4akanesim_00063.png

Edited by Lorena

that is really cool hack there! haha a blue haired Leen,Green haired Altenna and a yellow Thor Hammer? you got my support when is this supposed to be done? I love FE4!

• 2 weeks later...

first post updated with a better summary and also some spoilers about character data (for those wanting spoiled)

I'd like to make a gameplay video of the recent chapter I completed

Edited by Lorena

I have a gameplay video here of the first couple minutes of the newest completed chapter, if anyone's interested

you can see the basic gameplay changes I've made this way, though not much dialogue