FE7: Random Recruitment

Mekkah

What you're here for:

Patch: http://speedy.sh/xPUn8/FE7-Random-Recruitment-v2.ups

1. Click "Slow download"

2. Apply to a clean FE7 (U) ROM using NUPS, which you can get here: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/606/

3. Play on Hector Hard Mode. Lyn and Eliwood modes have not been edited. You can get a save file here: http://speedy.sh/ZNxRX/0-HHM-start.SGM

Please read the bugs section!

Hey, SF! Today is the day I present to you a new “simple hack” that I’ve made. Some of you might remember Reverse Recruitment. I’ve decided to take that idea into a slightly different but similar direction and randomize the order of recruitment for FE7. This time, I’ve taken the liberty to change a few things to accommodate the changes. A lot of characters have small references to the character they are replacing.

Like in RR, I’ve used stat averages and backward leveling to determine bases, but some have received buffs or nerfs depending on how amazing or bad that made them. I’ve not tried to make every character equally viable, but at least hopefully none of them breaks the game.

What we ended up with is the adventures of Lord Erk, as he searches for the remains of Eliwood’s father. On the way, he teams up with his childhood buddy Jaffar and the lovely lady Lucius. Armed with the Wolf Beil tome, which bears a striking resemblance to Forblaze but shows none of that spell’s fireworks, he destroys enemy after enemy with the aid of his friends.

This hack shows off what I can do with pretty much just Nightmare…and what I can’t. I’m sorry for the couple of bugs and limitations you may find, and anyone is free to improve upon this product with their own skillset.

I recommend playing this hack without knowledge of what lies ahead, as the surprise should be half the fun. But if you like, I have a couple of screenshots for you.

uMzGIxE.pngYGhzHut.pngSVLJ84I.png

kV7Wscx.pngm5PFSfO.pngAMlSSmN.png

xjMovhV.png

Known bugs (please read)

• Cutscenes with fog of war. This is due to a lot of maps having 99 fog vision in order to make the Torch Staff spammable.
  • Glitchy final chapter map, doesn’t stop gameplay in any way though from what I can tell.
  • If a random conversation/cutscene glitches the game just restart the chapter and hit start, you’ve seen the story a billion times already I’m sure.
  • Most Prf weapons don’t have proper animations, just very anticlimactic poses that cause damage.
  • If a unit without a proper animation (such as Erk with Wolf Beil) kills the boss of a chapter with “kill boss” objective while animations are turned on, the chapter will not end. Kill them with animations off instead. For the final boss (who forces animations to be on), you are given other means to take him out.
  • It turns out I am an idiot and left some stat changes in that were meant to make testing more convenient. These changes make the game a lot easier than it should be but can only be noticed later in the game. To be specific: Falcoknights and Erk's promoted class had 15 movement. I don't think this can be fixed without cheat codes if you've already encountered the problem. If you have not, however, I uploaded a new patch that should fix this. Patch a new clean ROM with the v2 patch and then load your old save file onto it. Alternatively, just don't move the units in question more than they should...although I know that's kinda lame.

Tips for first-time players who want to be sure they're not missing crucial stuff:

- Check out the Secret Shop closest to the throne room in Dragon's Gate and bring some cash with you, especially if you're worried about not being able to promote units in time.

- If you want to recruit everyone, you should promote Dorcas and level him to 5, since he's in Bartre's slot.

Edited by Mekkah

This looks amazing. Also your the person who made reverse recruitment right? Did you also make shadow Dragon RR? Because that download link is broken. I really wanna play that one

Yeah, I started with FE8RR. Others made FE6 and FE7, I think Paperblade and Seven Deadly Sins. I do not know who made FE11, sorry.

Can you skip to HHM or do you have to play Lyn/Eliwood's story first?

Because I downloaded and patched it, and it started me at lyn mode.

Edited by nemid

Yeah, I started with FE8RR. Others made FE6 and FE7, I think Paperblade and Seven Deadly Sins. I do not know who made FE11, sorry.

Yeah, I can't find the FE11 one anymore D: It looked really cool and you started with Gotah or w/e his name was. I saw that General Horace was making one a long time ago but all of his data got deleted D:

Can you skip to HHM or do you have to play Lyn/Eliwood's story first?

Because I downloaded and patched it, and it started me at lyn mode.

Copy the battery save for vanilla FE7, rename it to the patched version, and put it back in the battery save folder.

Also the first chapter is lunacy with only two squishies going up against eight guys. At least the boss was a complete joke.

I edited a download for a HHM save file in the OP.

I may or may not do one for FE8 eventually.

If I make a randomized list of characters will you do the stats. Idk how to do that.

EDIT; so i randomized FE8 and got this. Garcia is the prince of renais or something and must run away with his bodyguard cormag. GG

Edited by Kobazco

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but if I make an FE8 version, it'll be on my own terms. Changing stats and testing if they work is kind of a boring process, so if I'm going through it again I want it to be with my own list.

Ah. That first chapter. Just. So many tries to just complete it. On Normal. Then again, I didn't want to lose HectErk or Fiora-tthew.

You can just repatch the rom and the save file for FE7CM will work fine, unless you did something dumb like play through and beat a chapter, then save.

I'm probably gonna play this hack at some point. It looks fun and I'm a sucker for these kinds of things.

interesting concept, I'll give it a shot. Does the dialogue still almost work? (Or did you actually go in a make it fully make sense?) Like that the palettes aren't all fucked. And early Rath. Cool concept to give you more time with different characters. Some other games should randomize the order you receive characters in a little, to change up playthroughs.

Edited by deranger

........... LOOOOOL. I accidentaly put this in my fe7CM file, and now everything is twice as crazy. Thankfully it wasn't my main file...

I would have let's played this, but in chapter 12 dart broke the game.

Edited by nemid

interesting concept, I'll give it a shot. Does the dialogue still almost work? (Or did you actually go in a make it fully make sense?) Like that the palettes aren't all fucked. And early Rath. Cool concept to give you more time with different characters. Some other games should randomize the order you receive characters in a little, to change up playthroughs.

When I tried editing the dialogue with FEAdv, the game would not stop crashing. Thank God for backups. At that point I said fuck it and released the ROM. So the dialogue should be unaltered. There's some cutscenes that might no longer work and cause the game to crash. An example I noticed during testing is the talking before Pirate Ship. Like I said in the bugs section, if that happens, reset and skip the dialogue using Start.

Everyone should have the palette of the character they are. So Erk replacing Hector has Erk's palette. I know of at least one exception to this and I did that to be funny.

If you broke your game just get a new ROM plus save file and start a new game.

• 2 weeks later...

It turns out I am an idiot and left some stat changes in that were meant to make testing more convenient. These changes make the game a lot easier than it should be but can only be noticed later in the game.

To be specific:

Falcoknights and Erk's promoted class had 15 movement

I don't think this can be fixed without cheat codes if you've already encountered the problem. If you have not, however, I uploaded a new patch that should fix this.

http://speedy.sh/xPUn8/FE7-Random-Recruitment-v2.ups

Class Changes to CON/Stats will work just fine on a chapter reset. In fact, if you lower or raise a characters base stats midway into a run, the changes will take effect. The only exception is if you change a character's joining level in their recruitment chapter, then you have to restart that chapter for the changes to take effect.

Trust me, I relied on this when Phobia LP'd my hack.