General repointing question

Tequila

So, I'm totally new to this hacking lark. I'm kinda following the Ultimate Tutorial, and I remembered that FE6's horseslaying weapons are a little picky when it comes to which horses to slay. So I decided to try to rectify this by adding the missing classes to the "effectiveness" list, namely nomads, troubadour, and valkyrie. However, there's no room. So obviously I should repoint this. My question is, where's the best location for this new table? Is there a certain threshold of 00's such that I can be sure I'm not going to overwrite something that will bring this game crashing around my ears? Is there a way that I can check whether a certain offset is being used in some Nightmare module? Or is it basically trial and error?

Also, a probably more challenging question: Is it possible to make FE6 Merlinus act like his FE7 counterpart (ie he doesn't require a character slot; you just decide whether you want him to show up or not (hell, even if he doesn't level up every chapter that's better than nothing))? And if so, is there a patch?

Thanks!

Thanks!

EDIT: Another question. Out of the 6 "sets" of effectiveness (Armors, Dragons, Cavalry, Flying, Divine dragonstone, and Armor+Cavalry), I only need to update Cavalry and Armor+Cavalry. Should I repoint the other values as well, even though I don't need to edit them? And if so, is that for any reason other than consistency?

Edited by Tequila

CT's link shows the following:

~~ FE 6 ~~

0x002DBF50 to 0x002DBF8C - used by FEditor auto patching system

0x00817A00 to 0x00A00000 - confirmed

0x00A297B0 to 0x00B00000 - confirmed

0x00B013F0 to 0x01000000 - confirmed

But my FE6 rom's highest offset is 007FFFFF, which means all but the first of those options doesn't exist.

I checked FE7 and FE8; both of those go up to 00FFFFFF.

I'm using HxD; could it be not displaying everything? Did I get a faulty rom? The size of FE6 is 8192 KB compared to FE7 and FE8's 16384 KB.

the reason FE6 is 8MB is because they just didn't use as much space (whether data or filler) as the latter ones

you can expand GBA ROMs up to 32MB I think? there are a couple later games that had that size

Edited by Lamia

apply the translation patch first

Probably a stupid question, but can FEditor use gringe's translation patch, or do I have to use the one at this location http://www.romhacking.net/translations/854/ ?

Yes, I know the FEditor doc says it expects the one at that link, but for all I know things could have changed since 2013. For the moment this is all sorcery to me.

gringe's translation patch was built off of FEditor so it *should* be safe

i can't guarantee that the free space list I gave you is accurate for that patch, though (actually i'm extremely sure it isn't)