Has Religion Done More Good Than Bad?

Jotari

So I saw a copy and paste thing on Facebook a while back that had a picture of the Earth and a caption saying "If you could rid the world of one thing, what would it be." The person posting it said religion and several people concurred. I found that slightly surprising. I know there was a crap tonne of corruption in the Catholic Church during the middle ages and a lot of wars are blamed on religion, but ultimately I reckon charitable actions and general philosophy of good will common throughout most religions heavily outweighs the more marketable bad stuff. Does provide some food for thought though. Especially when you start considering whether certain things (particularly wars) should actually be attributed to religion. Anyway what's your opinion on the question?

Edited by Jotari

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think religion itself isn't the problem. Some people are just very ignorant, and can't accept the fact that others may feel/think differently. But either way, if humans never developed a sense of religion, I believe these problems would had never happened in the first place. We'd be fighting over something else most likely though.

So my answer to it doing more good or bad, it's more on the neutral side.

Edited by Spooky Jin

The only reason most religions get this image of being terrible for the world is because most of the time the media ignores the good it does and magnifies any screw ups that happen. I wouldn't worry about those people too much. Religion is really big on charitable works and as a Catholic, it's pretty rewarding to do little things for my church and community. I'm not saying the church is perfect, no institution run by a human is, but it's certainly done a lot more good than harm.

Human/animal nature is to want some thing and take it, so I believe wars would happen even if there was no religion/ only one religion. I am kind of indifferent to religions as a whole because while I can see the good they have done I can also see the bad. Like when I was trying to name my cat I out found how long the Catholic church killed cats and it was not just black cats but all cats and if it had not been for the plague cats might have become extinct in Europe, but the church also helped medicine advance to where it is and other religions have done things to help people as well. I think of it as a draw because the bigger a religion gets the easier it is for it to become corrupted.

It's impossible to say. Why?

When it comes to things like history something like 'bad' and 'good' are entirely subjective terms based upon modern interpretations, values, hindsights, and the like with information and understanding not available at the time and, often, with the arrogance of being 'superior'. For example people will often talk about how stupid some medieval medical practices were before going off to have homeopathy and, one hundred years from now, our grandkids will wonder how stupid we were and why it took us so long to figure out how to develop teleporters while their kids are learning how to teleport hamsters at six.

Likewise, with religion, the effects religion has had on society are simply so immense and varied that the question of 'has it done more bad than good' simply cannot be answered. Not to mention that the modern standards of 'bad' and 'good' are different from both what our ancestors considered and what our grandchildren will believe or even what someone one-nation over will believe. As such this sort of question is meaningless as it is impossible to answer, arrogant to attempt to do so, and no response could even remotely be close to accurate more than personal belief.

I very much believe that religion has done more good than harm. One simple reason: laws. Religious law was essentially the first legal system, and, while it isn't ideal today, it was the first legal system, and it paved the way for civilization. I also dispute the notion that religion is anti-science: while the Catholic Church was to an extent, Ptolemaic Egypt was extremely religious and extremely friendly to science, as were the Arab Caliphates,and Song China. It really depends on the religion, and far, far too many people conflate religion entirely with Christianity.

Can you read this? This is what you have to thank.

Besides, even if religion didn't exist, I'm sure there would be some other ideology that some manipulative bastard would use to goad people into doing unsavory things.

We know this to be 100% true actually. If you look at a lot of wars the vast majority were political, territorial, or conquests with only a few religiously motivated. Even then, things like the Crusades were more politically motivated with religion being used as justification than being religiously motivated itself. Obviously religious wars happened but what people forget is that there was time between these wars in which people of different faiths weren't fighting and trying to cope with each other; either through peaceful means or trying to stay as far away as possible.

I think many of the cliche's about religion being such a negative influence don't really hold up.

A big deal is made about how the church repressed knowledge but by virtue of the church keeping Latin around they also secured access to a lot of Roman knowledge that might have gone lost otherwise.

You also hear that religion is responsible for so many wars and death but the biggest wars have been secular affairs. Many of the most infamous butchers like Stalin or Genghis Khan weren't very religious either.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Religion has had its value and uses throughout human history, as has been brought up above.

However, I find that it is becoming little more than a crutch that humanity will hopefully be ready to abandon in the future.

Edited by tuvarkz

It's impossible to say. Why?

When it comes to things like history something like 'bad' and 'good' are entirely subjective terms based upon modern interpretations, values, hindsights, and the like with information and understanding not available at the time and, often, with the arrogance of being 'superior'. For example people will often talk about how stupid some medieval medical practices were before going off to have homeopathy and, one hundred years from now, our grandkids will wonder how stupid we were and why it took us so long to figure out how to develop teleporters while their kids are learning how to teleport hamsters at six.

Likewise, with religion, the effects religion has had on society are simply so immense and varied that the question of 'has it done more bad than good' simply cannot be answered. Not to mention that the modern standards of 'bad' and 'good' are different from both what our ancestors considered and what our grandchildren will believe or even what someone one-nation over will believe. As such this sort of question is meaningless as it is impossible to answer, arrogant to attempt to do so, and no response could even remotely be close to accurate more than personal belief.

I agree mostly with all of this. People do have a habit of thinking we know everything in the current age when really we're (probably) just as ignorant as any other era on a relative level. However, I don't think it's arrogant at all to speculate about these things nor is the question itself inherently meaningless. If we don't actually think on things and discuss matters then we simply won't progress.

Please don't confuse Religion with Christian, there were many bad things happened in the name of Christian, but many other Religions don't do any harm.

I was going to bring up India's Caste System in the OP but decided I really didn't know enough about it to make a casual judgement.
Edited by Jotari

Please don't confuse Religion with Christian, there were many bad things happened in the name of Christian, but many other Religions don't do any harm.

I can't think of an ideology that hasn't caused at least something bad to happen. You shouldn't act as if Christianity is the only religion that causes problems.

A big deal is made about how the church repressed knowledge but by virtue of the church keeping Latin around they also secured access to a lot of Roman knowledge that might have gone lost otherwise.

Why dont you think if the church didnt keep all of the knowledge for themselves and teach everyone no matter their belief, class and gender, we would have done much better? Also, other than Jainism, I dont know if there are any religion in the world that didnt have blood on its hands.

I very much believe that religion has done more good than harm. One simple reason: laws. Religious law was essentially the first legal system, and, while it isn't ideal today, it was the first legal system, and it paved the way for civilization.

The Romans has legal system long before they crucify that carpenter. And they learned it from the Greek. I dont particularly remember if there's a god of law in Hellenic religion.

Edited by Magical CC

Why dont you think if the church didnt keep all of the knowledge for themselves and teach everyone no matter their belief, class and gender, we would have done much better?

That's... really the wrong way to think about it. Back then most people had to work HARD in order to survive. Farming the fields wasn't just something that about 5% of the population could do to feed the other 95%, but something that only the very wealthy could afford to not do in some way. Creating even a basic tome wasn't something that could be done with ease but, rather, something that took a lot of time and dedication. Even if there had been 0 restrictions on who could read them regardless of race, class, or gender there simply would have not been anywhere near enough books to do something like that. To top it off many of them were scattered and, with the fall of the Roman Empire, there was a lack of a single major government to keep order. With the Germanic tribes and Norse raiders going about more than willing to destroy stuff for gold it's more of a miracle that so much survived than anything else. This didn't apply to just Europe either as the Mongolian invasion of Bagdad destroyed so many rare books that I wouldn't be shocked to find out that humanity lost 10% of all unique books to that single invasion.

Books back then were not meant to be idle things but would have to be expected to not only be read by hundreds of people but could, very easily, end up having to last for generations as well. Part of the reason why so many medieval books are illuminated so much is because they were meant to be used for so long that they were serious investments, especially since they would probably have to be used to teach people who likely could only manage basic reading.

So this sort of question is kind of like having your house catch fire and, when the Firemen arrive and put it out without too much damage to your house, asking why they didn't dig you a pool as well.

Its done a lot more good than bad. People like to focus on the bad things that happened, like the Crusades (even though no one focuses on what caused the crusades. Muslim's rampaging through Europe and capturing and enslaving people. People then get fed up and decide they want them to be wiped out. Proceeded by people that see an opportunity to gain power and wealth. The Muslims were not at all innocent in the Crusades, they were the ones who directly caused it to begin with. Neither side was right. And this isnt including the enslavement of Spain by the Moors.)

A lot of your major charities are run by religious organizations. There are also these things the Christians do called Missions. No one ever focuses on what we do with those, but we arent just running around spreading our faith. My church went to Haiti recently, we brought a lot of supplies and things they needed. Showed them proper ways of farming and growing/caring for food, etc. We go one these mission trips to help people in hopes that they see the good will we bring, and spread it themselves. One of our Youth Group leaders recently was in the South East of the US recently building homes on a mission trip. We had an event recently where the entire church got together and helped the city rebuild a park in one of the more run down sides of Detroit. We have helped with numerous school repairs here too. Every month with offering, we have an open plate offering that any loose change put into the plates goes to a charity that we have chosen for that month rather than the church.

In a more historical light. A lot of people look at religion as anti science, but outside of some extreme views that couldnt be further from the truth. Remember Gregor Mendel, the father of Genetics? He was an Augustinian Friar. Essentially a catholic monk. Robert Grosseteste was a Bishop and was huge in the intellectual growth of England in the 13th century and wrote many things on Astronomy and Geometry. Isaac Newton, the discoverer of Gravity was a devout christian that was always trying to discern the date of the Rapture. Robert Boyle, who is huge in the history of Chemistry, was also a christian. Francis Bacon was the founder of the Scientific Method. Nicholas of Cusa developed the concepts of infinitesimal and relative motion, and he was a cardinal. Nicole Oresme discovered the curvature of light through atmospheric refraction, and he was a Bishop. Hildegard of Bingen, also known as Saint Hildegard, was a German Benedictine abbess, and she is considered to be the founder of scientific natural history in Germany.

And that is only a small part of just the Christian scientists. That isnt counting any other religions across the world. Dont forget it was due to Muslim Scientists that we have Algebra and Chemistry.

Religion isnt Anti Science, the only people that are would be the ignorant ones that believe that the Earth is only 5000 years old and dinosaurs never existed, or the people looking to control others through ignorance and religion (like ISIS). Religion hasnt been a bad thing either. It can be turned bad by the people though, and that is where the problem comes in, People. People just suck.

Edited by Tolvir

Religion's only crime is existing. The things done in the name of it are despicable, but religion, being only a concept, has not physically done anything bad. Still, the people involved in religion have done many good things. As far as I'm aware, no singular religion is against learning, but there are fringe groups that are(Boko Haram, KKK).

If war was not fought over Religion it would be fought over Ideals, Power, and Land. If Religion didn't cause division, Race, Class, and Ideals would. Nothing would change in terms of violence, and division (racism etc.), a world of atheists are as likely to go to war as any other. Ideals and Region are much the same as they are a set of rules that you subscribe to and follow (or at least try too). If humanity never clinged to an higher power dogma's around Ideals would form, so groups would form and war and division continue. If we rid man of Ideals wars and division would not stop, now man still fights over power and land, now man still divides by race and class. Art is dead, Culture is gone, we are no longer human but are robots.

Problems aren't caused by the Religion they are caused by stupid and selfish people who are not following the doctrine they subscribe too. Keep in mind that fringe/extremist groups do not respesent the actual religion, and there believes are a direct contradiction of the religion they claim to subscribe too.

On a more personal note religion has been major blessing in my life personally, and in the life's of many different people I know. I don't know where I would be without it.

Edited by Locke087

Impossible to answer, since basically every (that is, I can't think of one that hasn't) culture has had religion since historical records began. Plus our understanding of what is right/moral has fluctuated over time. Many things we now view in a negative light were motivated by good thoughts at the time - this still happens; not all religious charities and missions are considered to do more good than harm, for example.

I very much believe that religion has done more good than harm. One simple reason: laws. Religious law was essentially the first legal system, and, while it isn't ideal today, it was the first legal system, and it paved the way for civilization. I also dispute the notion that religion is anti-science: while the Catholic Church was to an extent, Ptolemaic Egypt was extremely religious and extremely friendly to science, as were the Arab Caliphates,and Song China. It really depends on the religion, and far, far too many people conflate religion entirely with Christianity.

faith is antithetical to the methods of science, and therefore is indeed "anti-science." anti-science need not only include literally disallowing science to happen. though, exactly that happens everywhere today as well.

faith is bad, and so religion is bad. but i don't have a problem with most religious people.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

faith is antithetical to the methods of science, and therefore is indeed "anti-science." anti-science need not only include literally disallowing science to happen. though, exactly that happens everywhere today as well.

faith is bad, and so religion is bad. but i don't have a problem with most religious people.

You can be devout and scientific at the same time. To paraphrase: in science, the question is how, in religion, the question is why.

Science and religion are fundamentally trying to explore different aspects of life. My best physics and calculus teacher was a Catholic priest in high school. He saw no conflict in fully embracing both, because there's no reason that science and theology can't coexist. If people choose to be atheist, that is their right, but I can be a scientist, and have faith, too.

Why dont you think if the church didnt keep all of the knowledge for themselves and teach everyone no matter their belief, class and gender, we would have done much better?

I do but I tend to take history as it was, not how I want it to be. The world just wasn't like that at the time and I don't think we could have expect people in the early medieval world to behave that way, all the more so because other religions were in direct competition. Spreading knowledge with everyone sounds nice but then the followers of your rival religion are at the gates of Constantinopol, then Hungary, then Vienna. Probably not the best idea to send knowledge their way.

The church kept the knowledge around at least. That's good enough for me and good enough for that knowledge to eventually spread again.

But this isn't backed up by reality. The Ptolemies were, as stated previously, very friendly to science; it doesn't mean much in practice if the nation is faith based on the issue of the Gods if they are so friendly towards science that setting fire to their library literally set humanity back generations. Ptolemaic Egypt,was a key center of learning and science; this is historical fact.

I can't think of an ideology that hasn't caused at least something bad to happen. You shouldn't act as if Christianity is the only religion that causes problems.

For a very large group of people, Religion is Christianity, the other Religions are not considered Religions, only pagan or heretic.

I was going to bring up India's Caste System in the OP but decided I really didn't know enough about it to make a casual judgement.

From a book I read, there are 4 castes in India.

Men from higher caste can marry any woman from lower caste, but men from lower caste cannot marry woman from higher caste.

Thus, in reality, higher caste people are usually rich and beautiful while the lower caste people are usually poor and ugly.