Eternal Bond: An FE7 Hack

Agro

Eternal Bond

An FE7 Hack

Hello there, and welcome to Eternal Bond: An FE7 Hack. If it wasn't obvious enough, I've been working on this for quite a while. My own hack ideas have come and gone like the seasons in a year but after reading the Song of Ice and Fire series, my interest and inspiration was renewed. What particularly intrigued me was Martin's story of the Great Bastards and the Blackfyre Rebellion. I felt that I could tell a similar story to that: one that revolved around betrayal, intrigue, birthright, and most importantly, family. On top of that, my spriting and hacking abilities are less-than-stellar, and so I had to come up with something that played to my strengths: music and writing. Thus, Eternal Bond was born.

You might have noticed a significant change in the chapter setup. This is largely because I wasn't happy with the story beforehand and its pacing, or the game balance, or... anything, really. So I decided to reinvent the hacj without even making a public release. As of today (4/8/13) there is still no public release, and I do apologise for that. I know I promised you all December 5th 2012 as a release date, but #reel_lyf got in the way and I couldn't make that deadline. I'm now working harder than ever to bring you a hack of some serious quality, and I hope you think it is as much. If you head towards the bottom of this post you'll catch the link to some sneak previews of the newer version. Hopefully you'll see that my music hacking knowledge has greatly increased and the thing sounds a whole lot better than it did before. Oh, and it looks better, thanks to the help of a some very talented and generous spriters. Without further ado, here's your obligatory six-panel chapter previews!

Prologue: Brothers and Sisters

EB1_zpsef863939.png

Chapter 1: A New Journey

EB11_zps3458f884.png

Chapter 2: Capital of the Sisterlands

EB21_zpsd36d9f66.png

Chapter 3: A Lone Wolf

EB31_zps43259dd2.png

Chapter 4: The Way Home

EB41_zps90d233ef.png

Chapter 5: Keys to the Kingdom

EB51_zpsdbb521f0.png

Chapter 6: The Seventh Cirlode

chapter6screens_zps2fbbd058.png

Chapter 7: A Timely Assault

EBch7_zpsfbdeedfb.png

Stuff:

• Twenty-something planned chapters
  • A crapload of custom music
  • new classes and stuff
  • A (hopefully) deep, character-driven story

[spoiler=Credits]

Hacking:

All of Team OVERTROLL

Blazer (Burning Gravity)

some other people I probably forgot about

Maps:

Aura Wolf

ShinyPichu

MarioKirby

Feaw

Kitty of Time/whatever he goes by these days

Graphics

eCut
ME!!!!
Merc
Furetchen
Astelaine
AK (jealousy)
Mica
The Blind Archer (Dei)
Nickt
Niharu
Solum
Lumi

Music & Writing

oh wait, I did all of it

Other Stuff

A whole bunch of other people that I'm sure I've forgotten to name. I love you guys! I just can't remember you. I guess we really partied hard that night, huh?

!!!! MAGEKNIGHT404'S LET'S PLAY !!!!

Edited by Agro

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I saw Blazers playthrough of the first chapter and it looked really good. I really like the story so far, especially now that I know you took some ideas from the Blackfyre rebellion. What do you mean by fixed weapon levels? I don't really get that... Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this hack and if you ever need any help (what small help I can give, mostly castle maps) just ask.

Don't stop, this looks great so farsmile.gif, I'm really looking forward to it.

Edited by Matt Snow

loool bad timing that I put mine out before yours XD. but no it realy looks like you've put alot of work into this and all. It looks like one to watch while I'm not working ^_^ (loved Song of Ice and Fire series too btw...)

Maybe my eyes are weird, but some of the maps look like they're in FE7 colors, while the mugs look like they're in FE8 colors?

Maybe my eyes are weird, but some of the maps look like they're in FE7 colors, while the mugs look like they're in FE8 colors?

Uh... yes?

Shouldn't Ventospada be Vientospada? Although I'm not sure that would even fit so this is probably a moot point. or maybe your not even translating it from Spanish and I'm an idiot

No weapon experience also has me curious. Are you going with Genealogy's weapons system and giving weapon ranks upon promotion?

Shouldn't Ventospada be Vientospada? Although I'm not sure that would even fit so this is probably a moot point. or maybe your not even translating it from Spanish and I'm an idiot

No weapon experience also has me curious. Are you going with Genealogy's weapons system and giving weapon ranks upon promotion?

I took it from Italian, not Spanish, wherein "wind" is "vento". I don't actually speak Italian though, so I'm not 100% sure.

Weapon ranks will increase upon promotion as they always have. I wouldn't be so cruel as to leave people stuck with D axes all the way through to endgame.

Might I ask, what is your rationale for the fixed weapon levels?

In my opinion, the GBAFEs have trivialised weapon ranks to the point where it almost doesn't matter, since weapon ranks tend to increase very quickly. So I got the idea to allow more differentiation between units by making things so that maybe one unit can use a Silver Sword earlier than another despite their crappy stats, or maybe a cleric would be used over a troubadour because the troubadour can't use Warps and things like that.

This isn't to say, of course, that you'll end up with Swordmasters with a D in swords: likely everyone will end up with A and Bs across the board, but what matters is that some units just get that small edge over others and all that.

In my opinion, the GBAFEs have trivialised weapon ranks to the point where it almost doesn't matter, since weapon ranks tend to increase very quickly.

That's... really not true! FE6 in particular has really slow weapon ranks, hence why certain characters like Niime and Percival end up highly rated. Have you not heard the complaints about Tate/Zeiss/Clarine?

So I got the idea to allow more differentiation between units by making things so that maybe one unit can use a Silver Sword earlier than another despite their crappy stats, or maybe a cleric would be used over a troubadour because the troubadour can't use Warps and things like that.

So like Saul/Clarine in FE6?

FE7 had the opposite problem though; weapon ranks went up extremely fast, especially for Axe users. Steel Axe was E and gave 2 WEXP, and the game would throw so many garbage enemies with 2 and 1-2 range at you that someone like Raven could burn through half a Hand Axe on a single enemy phase.

Have you not heard the complaints about Tate/Zeiss/Clarine?

Not really.

So like Saul/Clarine in FE6?

I suppose.

Edited by Agro

FE7 had the opposite problem though; weapon ranks went up extremely fast, especially for Axe users. Steel Axe was E and gave 2 WEXP, and the game would throw so many garbage enemies with 2 and 1-2 range at you that someone like Raven could burn through half a Hand Axe on a single enemy phase.

Yes. Didn't it also give bonus WEXP for killing an enemy?

Yes. Didn't it also give bonus WEXP for killing an enemy?

So did FE6, it's just that every weapon gave 1 WEXP and you needed 50 for every rank, so it was harder to notice. What was really stupid was every staff giving 1 WEXP as well, resulting in no one who received them on promotion ever moving beyond Heal or, with enormous dedication, Mend.

Edited by GreatEclipse

I see you still haven't fixed the whole Princess of Ilia well before Ilia even had a King thing...

Also, I wanted to mention what I mentioned in Krad's topic here as well; having Thani in a non-Tellius canon doesn't really seem right. If you're just using the name because the spell is mirroring the "Effective against Armor/Cavalry" effect that it has in FE10, then I think you could easily change the name to something else. Like I said in Krad's topic, that would be like having Ragnell or the Wolf Beil or Holsety somewhere outside of what they're naturally used in. Unless, of course, there's some yet unknown reason why weapons from another continent are showing up here.

EDIT -

loool bad timing that I put mine out before yours XD. but no it realy looks like you've put alot of work into this and all. It looks like one to watch while I'm not working ^_^ (loved Song of Ice and Fire series too btw...)

Actually, it's been up at Cafe for over a month, so, no, you didn't put yours out first.

Edited by Lord Glenn

Not really.

Well idk about Tate/Clarine, but Zeiss' main problem is that his amazing stats are only supported by steel and javelins, and skl/spd isn't really his forte... he really wants killer. Kind of like one of your 'good character shit rank' things, I guess.

I do agree that FE7-style weapon ranks practically trivialise the entire system, though. The E rank is largely never seen outside of the extremely overcomable axes.

I see you still haven't fixed the whole Princess of Ilia well before Ilia even had a King thing...

retconning... retconning...

Also, I wanted to mention what I mentioned in Krad's topic here as well; having Thani in a non-Tellius canon doesn't really seem right. If you're just using the name because the spell is mirroring the "Effective against Armor/Cavalry" effect that it has in FE10, then I think you could easily change the name to something else. Like I said in Krad's topic, that would be like having Ragnell or the Wolf Beil or Holsety somewhere outside of what they're naturally used in. Unless, of course, there's some yet unknown reason why weapons from another continent are showing up here.

That's a good point. I'll probably just change it to something arbitrary :|

Well idk about Tate/Clarine, but Zeiss' main problem is that his amazing stats are only supported by steel and javelins, and skl/spd isn't really his forte... he really wants killer. Kind of like one of your 'good character shit rank' things, I guess.

I do agree that FE7-style weapon ranks practically trivialise the entire system, though. The E rank is largely never seen outside of the extremely overcomable axes.

This, pretty much. I want people to curse at me for sticking them with a cavalier who can never use Silver weapons.

you could rename all the places/countries also i might be able to help with maps but im just starting

I personally would find that annoying, seeing as each country would still correspond to an Elibian one. Unless you have something significantly different, Elibe's fine.

... Matriarchal Royalty in Ilia is an option. Only women can ride pegisi, perhaps that plays into their pagan, totalitarian beliefs.

Edited by deranger

Wow, this is really ambitious. I like ambitious, because it sounds big. Anyway, I'm looking forward to this, political struggles and loads of character development? O_O

Where have you been hiding good sir?

in a magic wardrobe that leads to narnia