Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn ReDux (v0.8.72 CH 2-2)

Dunal

6 minutes ago, DLuna said:

Conceptually, a 'blood pact' would seemingly be an effective tool in keeping promises/obligations; much like a contract that cannot be broken. If I were to write a purpose/origin for its creation I can see it being related to the dragon tribe centuries ago in order to encourage peace. Hence why Goldoa completely abstains from fighting -- it's ingrained into them from aeons ago when many nations were tied to a contract.

That said, from RD's story perspective it does feel forced as a plot gimmick to initiate the war. Unfortunately there isn't much else you can do to change the context entirely without also changing the plot/characters to a huge degree. 

Instead, its execution can be improved by making the pact more beneficial/logical from Daein/Pelleas' perspective. I think one of the reasons it feels as forced as it does is precisely because it's essentially a massive blunder with no benefit to Daein itself. Therefore making the war feel so incredibly forced.

As such, if Pelleas signed the contract under full knowledge/agreement of what it entails (in order to retrieve huge resources from Begnion or other benefits to prevent Daein slowly dying regardless) then the whole situation has some necessity to it rather than it being a massive mistake/error (and therefore just making Pelleas look like a complete idiot). Lekain is also obligated by the contract to provide massive resources as a result (and this is incorporated into gameplay as well - the gold spike for the DB in part 3 can practically carry you until endgame; granted there are a lot more things to spend gold on now).

Kilvas can be contracted for much the same reason. Begnion has huge wealth and Kilvas is an incredibly poor nation, hence giving more context to Naesala as a character and why there's so much piracy/crime from that nation.

This all sounds very interesting.  I look forward to trying this once it has been completed, and when I get a better computer.  I using a 5+ year old Apple Laptop and when I tried Path of Radiance on Dolphin, I could only get like 40 FPS on the low-end side.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, one more question: How do you plan to handle Almedha's reasons for keeping her knowledge of the Blood Contract a secret?  In OG Radiant Dawn, she refused to tell ANYONE about the Blood Contract because she thought they would all murder Pelleas at first chance.  While I can understand someone being stupidly overprotective, anyone with half a brain cell who knows that both the destruction of the contract and the death of one signer are required to break the contract would have known that Pelleas' death would have been meaningless at that point in time because he doesn't have the contract on him.  Subsequently, anyway you can cut out that stupid choice on killing Pelleas in part 3?  Because it feels like a forced way of saying "play our game again."  Getting through RD once was a slog.  I don't feel the need to play again just to save an idiot.

Edited by XIII Hearts

21 hours ago, XIII Hearts said:

knows that both the destruction of the contract and the death of one signer would have known that Pelleas' death would have been meaningless at that point in time because he doesn't have the contract on him.  

Or does he? This could be solved if things are changed so that the contract consists of two original documents, one for each signer, and that usually the destruction of one of the copies after the death of its signer would break the contract, as Ahmada knows, but what she doesn't know is that this is only if the other signan't isn't invoking breach of contract, which Lekain is foxy enough to do by adding a clause to the contract that prohibits both countries from attempting to destroy, or to help in so, their respective copy.

Or that she simply doesn't know about that contract-destruction clause. This way she wouldn't want to tell them because they might try and kill Pelleas and then destroy his copy. For the killing-Pelleas route this would then result in Mikey reading the contract before destroying it (and after killing Pelleas) and discovering such a clause (which who knows, maybe only appears in the text after the signant dies), then going to kill Lekain to burn *his* copy, which would break the pact.

In the Pelleas-lives route, you can make Mikey's magical freakout while saving the president reveal the line anyway (maybe it reveals itself not when the signant is killed, but when an attempt is made on his life - cue to "look, the contract is glowing!"), and then they deduce that their only option is to kill Lekain while Dain isn't invoking breach of contract on Begnion.

Or something like that.

EDIT: On a totally unrelated note, do you know if Provoke/Shade works on roaming Allies and Others when wielded by an enemy?

Edited by Mr. Mister

23 hours ago, Mr. Mister said:

EDIT: On a totally unrelated note, do you know if Provoke/Shade works on roaming Allies and Others when wielded by an enemy?

No Idea since I don't think most enemies even have skills in RD, especially Provoke/Shade.  I've only seen skills on the Third Tier bosses and the endgame bosses.

Another update for those waiting for a release:

Part 1 is still being polished and it's very likely at this point that I'll be releasing it standalone with weekly chapter releases after that. Again, just need to be in the position for this before said release (basically, I'm not releasing anything until I absolutely know that follow-up releases will be quick). New stuff worth mentioning:

Occult skills:

Beastfoe, Birdfoe and Dragonfoe are now back in the game (just renamed as Butcher, Hunter and Slayer respectfully). But are bundled with Wrath and Resolve into a 'Occult' scroll. Occult scrolls can teach all 5 of these skills for 100 capacity each. As of now, only dragons (past level 30) can equip these since they have enough capacity. When you remove one of these 5 skills, you'll receive an Occult scroll so you can essentially transfer someone's beastfoe into resolve for say, Kurthnaga if you wanted to. Or sell for 1000g.

The following units have these skills innately (you just won't be able to re-equip them if removed):

• Meg and Kieran: Butcher
  • Volug: Hunter
  • Lucia: Slayer
  • Tauroneo and Pelleas: Resolve
  • Edward, Nephenee and Skrimir: Wrath

Stat boosting items:

• Seraph Robe: +5 HP
  • Energy Drop: +2 STR
  • Spirit Dust: +2 MAG
  • Secret Book: +2 SKL
  • Speedwing: +1 SPD
  • Goddess Icon: +3 LCK
  • Dracoshield: +1 DEF, +1 CON
  • Talisman: +1 RES, +1 LCK
  • Statue Frag: +3 HP, +3 CON
  • Boots: +1 MOVE

Speedwing, Dracoshield and Talisman were nerfed to +1 in their respective boosts mostly so they're not too powerful on Laguz in particular. But the latter two have some consolation boost for what's its worth. +1 speed (or +2 for Laguz) can still be pretty strong on the right unit. Statue Frag has basically just been buffed to relevancy and Seraph Robe and Boots are nerfed since they're still pretty strong, all things considered.

Notably they're all much much cheaper than before. Mostly being in the price range of 1000-2000g, with the Seraph Robe, Energy Drop and Spirit Dust being the only exceptions (2500-3500g).

Constitution pass:

One of the last things worth doing would be to completely revamp CON for all classes/units in the game. For the most part, CON and Weight values will end up close together so more units can Shove/Smite other units, with the Dracoshield/Statue Frag legitimately opening up a lot more possibility here. The Smite skill will also become completely free to equip and remove for every unit in the game (as long as you have enough skill slots)! I'm also thinking about doing the same thing for certain other skills with low value (or purpose to be in scroll form). Best candidates would be Wildheart, Parity, Mercy, Flourish, or some of the Laguz skills.

Shoving is a pretty cool aspect that opens up interesting strats/possibilities. So removing more limitations seems worthwhile.

Edited by DLuna

So will you have boatdude and Gareth adjacent to Daejisnitchamacallit now that maybe they can be shoved by someone other than transformed lions while they're untransformed?

EDIT: Also, can you make stat boosters decrease stats? And if so, can you make Speedwings give -1 or -2 Weight, or is weight less adjustable than Con and Mov (which after all do show in the promotion stat-up window)?

Edited by Mr. Mister

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-4-24 at 11:58 AM, Mr. Mister said:

So will you have boatdude and Gareth adjacent to Daejisnitchamacallit now that maybe they can be shoved by someone other than transformed lions while they're untransformed?

EDIT: Also, can you make stat boosters decrease stats? And if so, can you make Speedwings give -1 or -2 Weight, or is weight less adjustable than Con and Mov (which after all do show in the promotion stat-up window)?

I always wondered if that was possible... Items to decrease a stat.

On 4/23/2017 at 6:06 PM, DLuna said:

Another update for those waiting for a release:

Part 1 is still being polished and it's very likely at this point that I'll be releasing it standalone with weekly chapter releases after that. Again, just need to be in the position for this before said release (basically, I'm not releasing anything until I absolutely know that follow-up releases will be quick). New stuff worth mentioning:

Occult skills:

Beastfoe, Birdfoe and Dragonfoe are now back in the game (just renamed as Butcher, Hunter and Slayer respectfully). But are bundled with Wrath and Resolve into a 'Occult' scroll. Occult scrolls can teach all 5 of these skills for 100 capacity each. As of now, only dragons (past level 30) can equip these since they have enough capacity. When you remove one of these 5 skills, you'll receive an Occult scroll so you can essentially transfer someone's beastfoe into resolve for say, Kurthnaga if you wanted to. Or sell for 1000g.

The following units have these skills innately (you just won't be able to re-equip them if removed):

• Meg and Kieran: Butcher
  • Volug: Hunter
  • Lucia: Slayer
  • Tauroneo and Pelleas: Resolve
  • Edward, Nephenee and Skrimir: Wrath

Is there a particular reason for renaming the -foe skills? The original names made it very clear what they did at a glance, but that's lost with the new names.

On 2017-4-24 at 5:58 PM, Mr. Mister said:

Not certain if that is the case but if so, it could create some interesting possibilities. I would definitely think about having some trade-off stat boosters, meaning they can both be cheaper and provide some decision making.

On 2017-5-11 at 6:08 AM, GaleforceAbuse said:

Is there a particular reason for renaming the -foe skills? The original names made it very clear what they did at a glance, but that's lost with the new names.

It's mostly for flavor since someone like Meg having innate 'Beastfoe' wouldn't have any real context applied to it (and feel more tacked on). Something like 'Butcher' feels more in-line with other skill names and gives more context to the unit in question.

"Being clear from a glance" isn't strictly necessary since... pretty much every other skill in game isn't. It would be like renaming Paragon to "Double EXP" or something.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-5-12 at 7:08 AM, DLuna said:

Not certain if that is the case but if so, it could create some interesting possibilities. I would definitely think about having some trade-off stat boosters, meaning they can both be cheaper and provide some decision making.

It's mostly for flavor since someone like Meg having innate 'Beastfoe' wouldn't have any real context applied to it (and feel more tacked on). Something like 'Butcher' feels more in-line with other skill names and gives more context to the unit in question.

"Being clear from a glance" isn't strictly necessary since... pretty much every other skill in game isn't. It would be like renaming Paragon to "Double EXP" or something.

Talking about Meg, I found really funny how she arrives with the weapon with the highest hit, and the weapon with the lowest hit xD.

• 4 weeks later...

Change of Plan: 

Spoiler

59452aa73ee6b_Wrathcannotunassign.PNG.cc03dddb156749403eeae22a9333d94b.PNG

These skills simply cannot be removed now. Definitely the most elegant way of doing it.

With that said, I was also thinking about doing the same thing for Paragon. So that units that have it, do so exclusively. Meaning that those units can now be balanced accordingly by virtue of having double EXP permanently. And you can no longer just bench those units and take their Paragon scroll to swap around to other units. For instance, Sothe would now be a better long-term unit because of it (due to it being otherwise optimal to remove it and give it to someone else asap). Nealuchi is another good example.

Also worth mentioning, Paragon felt a bit too OP with staves now. What with Heal/Mend now giving 15/17 EXP respectfully, 30/34 EXP is a bit crazy. It meant that someone like Laura/Fiona could promote as early as 1-7 and be tier 3 by part 3 just by healing. 

And with that... Lucia, Ena and Leanne now have Paragon. Kieran now has Slayer rather than Butcher.

Thoughts on all this?

Edited by DLuna

I don't see much point in giving Ena Paragon in the first place unless her bases are severely buffed. She gets ORKO'd by almost every enemy in 4-E even when transformed, so even getting her the EXP to make use of Paragon is a chore. She has a role in being a free Blood Tide, and she's more than good enough for that.

Not saying she couldn't do with something to make her handy outside of a Blood Tide bot, but I don't think Paragon's the answer.

Having Slayer on Kieran's an interesting choice, but I can respect it. Gives him a niche which Titania can't cover and makes him useful by default for 4-5 (iirc), assuming you keep the default deployment.

Making Paragon and Wrath impossible to unassign feels like a move in the right direction, though it'll probably just turn into a game of picking the best units with those skills and transferring the desirable skills which can be unassigned to them instead. That kind of thing will happen in optimal play so long as skills can be removed and traded around on the whole.

3 hours ago, Rathilal said:

I don't see much point in giving Ena Paragon in the first place unless her bases are severely buffed.

Well, that kind of goes without saying. She'll obviously be buffed, and is playable in 4-1 and 4-4. Paragon is just part of her power budget.

3 hours ago, Rathilal said:

Making Paragon and Wrath impossible to unassign feels like a move in the right direction, though it'll probably just turn into a game of picking the best units with those skills and transferring the desirable skills which can be unassigned to them instead. That kind of thing will happen in optimal play so long as skills can be removed and traded around on the whole.

Not necessarily. The units with locked skills would be balanced around it. Even in the original game, they have these skills innate with no capacity cost, so they're still stronger based on that. The main difference being is that you no longer gain some kind of benefit by benching them and taking their skills. Ultimately, the units with these skills innate aren't broken with them. Resolve are on units with low speed by default and/or have other weaknesses (so are reliant on resolve to be good units to begin with). Wrath is the same way and/or other skills that cannot be removed. While these skills are some of the most powerful, they are assigned to units that use them as part of their power budget. Obviously those units are balanced accordingly. Edward is outright the worst unit in part 1 -- he's a pseudo-Est.

Leanne was the heron balanced around being very low level, wasn't she? She still had decent stats, superb move (transformed?), and some basic healing, but couldn't use the fancier heron skills that the other herons could use, especially Rafiel. Won't Paragon break that balance? Or has playtesting revealed that her exp gain is so slow that she needs Paragon to raise her power level?

No opinion on Lucia & Ena getting Paragon. You've all ready solved Ena's main issue of late availability with poor bases. Paragon mostly looks like an aesthetic choice on her: allows her to still join with a semi-low level, but she'll grow. Which...I guess does fit her character. I presume Paragon is on Lucia because of some bizarre deployment issues where she joins in Part 2, then doesn't rejoin until Part 4 or very late in Part 3? (Don't remember FE10's bizarre recruitment patterns, other than Tormod's, who now has awesome promotion bonuses).

Having those skills be locked to their respective characters does sound like an elegant solution to prevent degenerate skill swapping. Does Blossom still exist, and if so, maybe it should also be character locked?

On 2017-6-19 at 11:39 PM, thzfunnymzn said:

Leanne was the heron balanced around being very low level, wasn't she? She still had decent stats, superb move (transformed?), and some basic healing, but couldn't use the fancier heron skills that the other herons could use, especially Rafiel. Won't Paragon break that balance? Or has playtesting revealed that her exp gain is so slow that she needs Paragon to raise her power level?

No opinion on Lucia & Ena getting Paragon. You've all ready solved Ena's main issue of late availability with poor bases. Paragon mostly looks like an aesthetic choice on her: allows her to still join with a semi-low level, but she'll grow. Which...I guess does fit her character. I presume Paragon is on Lucia because of some bizarre deployment issues where she joins in Part 2, then doesn't rejoin until Part 4 or very late in Part 3? (Don't remember FE10's bizarre recruitment patterns, other than Tormod's, who now has awesome promotion bonuses).

Having those skills be locked to their respective characters does sound like an elegant solution to prevent degenerate skill swapping. Does Blossom still exist, and if so, maybe it should also be character locked?

I feel that giving Leanne opportunity to become a decent level through regular play is good for her. She can only ever affect two allies at once unlike the other two Herons, so the higher level Galdrs still have less potency in her hands. Granted, her growths will be going down as a result but the idea is that she will still grow overall faster than the other Herons.

Lucia has a whole 3 maps of availability before Endgame. Unlike Tormod she also shares promotion bonuses/caps with another unit who has relatively high availability, so I cannot balance those around Lucia specifically. The alternative is to make Lucia absurdly strong in 2-2 so that when she returns in Part 4 she'll still be good, but that comes with the drawback of making 2-2 rather easy.

I think it's fine for Blossom to be freely available. Outside of Sothe no-one with innate Paragon can use it to a huge extent. And otherwise, maximising growth with Blossom isn't really optimal since A) Promoting before 20 (usually around LV13-15) is optimal and B) important caps tend to be reached for most units anyway. The best tactical use for Blossom is usually to set a low-key unit (who otherwise wouldn't see much combat) to 80-99 EXP through BEXP and level them up with 1-2 rounds of combat in the next map. You can rotate that around however you want. Of course, the game is challenging enough that you would want to make the most of your units in any given map, but some units like Edward or Fiona is pretty good with it. Fiona still gains ~25 EXP per kill in 1-7 with Blossom.

Very well, fair enough. Can't really say anymore on Leanne without having played anyways. BTW, I assume 4-Endgame-3, aka, Dragon Chapter, now has stuff besides dragons? Or is Lucia just going to be a juggernaut in that chapter with Slayer?

BTW, do you have growths and stuff for later characters in parts 3 and 4 to upload to the original post, or will we have to be patient and wait?

• 4 weeks later...
On 24/06/2017 at 0:42 AM, thzfunnymzn said:

Very well, fair enough. Can't really say anymore on Leanne without having played anyways. BTW, I assume 4-Endgame-3, aka, Dragon Chapter, now has stuff besides dragons? Or is Lucia just going to be a juggernaut in that chapter with Slayer?

BTW, do you have growths and stuff for later characters in parts 3 and 4 to upload to the original post, or will we have to be patient and wait?

4-E-3 is still only dragons, but White Dragons have Nullify innate. Meaning that Red ones are only food for effective damage (And Dheg himself, I guess). Lucia now has Paragon rather than Slayer as well. Don't have stats finalised for later units, no. I could list them shortly, though.

Speaking of innate skills, I've also decided that the Dragon Buffs should be spread across other classes because they are some of the most interesting/cool skills from a gameplay standpoint (would be interesting for them to appear much earlier). However, I'm still deciding how that should be done. At the very least, they are renamed to be more universal (Rally, Inspire and Fortify being Red/White/Black Tide respectfully).

My first thought would be designated units (for example: Soren with Fortify -- pushing him towards being more of a support unit. Or Skrimir with Rally etc...). Either that or class specific in the form of masteries. Guardian (Meg) = Inspire. Baron (Brom) = Fortify. F!Champion (Titania) = Rally etc... Thoughts on what could be the best direction to go down? They're such powerful abilities that replacing mastery skills in some cases could be a good option.

Dragons would instead just have skills that make them better combat units than support units. Honestly, that suits them better.

Edited by DLuna

I would personally rather have them be one-of-a-kind scrolls you find in chests/convoes/bosses through the game instead of class mastery skills. This way you can choose who your rallybots are and get more creative, specially when distributing them to the three armies in part 4, depending on at which point of the game you make them obtainable.

Yeah, making them one-of-a-kind boss drops would be best, specially if the boss holding the scroll also boasts the respective skill. Jarod could hold Red (he does inspire his men, and wears purple-reddish), Ludeveck White (ditto, plus he is well-guarded in the map, putting it tomuse), and, huh, maybe Izuka the Black one (also thematically appropiate and useful to him in his map). If Nasir and Gareth no longer have them though, you should give them other skills that help them support Dheginseah, like Gaunt, or give them bonds with their king (who will only benefit from the +Crit since Mantle makes the +Ddge moot), and make them adjacent to him in any case, so that defeating Deghinseah without engaging them is harder than killing them first, both due to their support skills/bonds and them attacking anyone trying to hit Kingie from certain spots.

Just, huh, tell us if you give Gareth the hidden Guard+ skill from the bodyguard spirit/auras, and raise Kurth or Emma's transformed Con so they can shove an untransformed Gareth away from bodyguard-taking-a-bullet-for-his-king range (which would be adjacency, from what Inrecall testing to see how the skill worked hacking it into Sothe), as the only othrer units that can do so (some lions and tigers IIRC) are endgame-optional.

Incidentally, have you managed to find a way to alter the terrain? More specifically, you think you can rearrangenthe cover/ward tiles?

EDIT: Oh, and another one to add to the pile of very minor detaiçs if you want to bother with them - can you remove an use fromLehran's Rewarp staff, since he only uses it in the pre-battle cutscene, but he does use it once?

Edited by Mr. Mister

16 hours ago, Mr. Mister said:

I would personally rather have them be one-of-a-kind scrolls you find in chests/convoes/bosses through the game instead of class mastery skills. This way you can choose who your rallybots are and get more creative, specially when distributing them to the three armies in part 4, depending on at which point of the game you make them obtainable.

Yeah, making them one-of-a-kind boss drops would be best, specially if the boss holding the scroll also boasts the respective skill. Jarod could hold Red (he does inspire his men, and wears purple-reddish), Ludeveck White (ditto, plus he is well-guarded in the map, putting it tomuse), and, huh, maybe Izuka the Black one (also thematically appropiate and useful to him in his map). If Nasir and Gareth no longer have them though, you should give them other skills that help them support Dheginseah, like Gaunt, or give them bonds with their king (who will only benefit from the +Crit since Mantle makes the +Ddge moot), and make them adjacent to him in any case, so that defeating Deghinseah without engaging them is harder than killing them first, both due to their support skills/bonds and them attacking anyone trying to hit Kingie from certain spots.

Incidentally, have you managed to find a way to alter the terrain? More specifically, you think you can rearrangenthe cover/ward tiles?

The problem with making them equipable/removable is that the optimal strategy is just going to put them on units with high move + canto (especially the latter, which means that positioning no longer matters that much -- much more so for Inspire and Fortify. Rally is the weakest out the lot so I suppose it's fine). And since the skills are inherently super powerful, there are problems with balancing their usage against being able to be placed on any unit (much like wrath/resolve).

The skills feel like they need to be given to units where I can appropriately adjust their power budget in terms of balance while also giving them uniqueness and contrasting reasons to be used over another unit. For example I've thought about giving 'Rally' to Kieran since otherwise he isn't going to be too interesting as a unit. A lot of the unique stat spreads are taken by other units therefore, compared to Titania it's difficult to make him stand out.

Otherwise, T3 masteries are a consideration since it allows me to provide some further unique skills to certain classes as opposed to RNG instant kills. As in, Kieran gaining it at T3. Or Pelleas/Brom getting Fortify at T3 (solidifying them as the primary support tanks for magic/physical respectfully, since they also have water affinity) etc... I'm leaning on this a lot currently.

Haven't really messed with terrain yet. The cover/ward tiles are going to be reworked a bit anyway.

Mmm... yeah, Rally would suit Kieran quite well. You can make it his "personal" (aka costless) but impose a ridiculous cost, like 40, if you want to remove it and give it to someone else. Looking at it like this, the bodyguard dragon duo might be useful as daunt/rally carriers too if you don't bring Kieran and unequip the skill beforehand.

Pelleas is a good choice for having Fortify (not sold on that name though; maybe Barrier) as his mastery skill, further differentiating the dark archmage (what did you call his class and Soren's again? Tactician/Strategist?) from the rest, and seeing how he cares for others.

Inspire would certainly fit Skrimir's portraial, though I fear carrying it costlessly would make him too much better than Caenigheas and Giffca unless they are buffed too. Maybe it could instead be the tigers' mastery skill, though the player wouldn't know it unless he took the time train and use a satorl sign on one. Sol-less Titania doesn't sound as good though - if anything it'd be silver knights that would make better use of it replacing Sol, since they can't use Sol with bows. Oliver? If anything he should have either Provoke or Daunt as personal.

I like seeing the dragon's pools & tides become more of a staple of the strategy of the whole game instead of just some endgame dragon stuff. As for what unit gets what or if it should be unit based or mastery based, can't tell ya. I tried looking at the character stats again to see who feels unique & who doesn't, but I hit the wall of "Haven't played the game so I can't get an overall feel for how all those numbers tie in together."

Most I came up with was Rally being thematic for Ike, but "heck no" for doing it mechanically. Ike should be good enough without also getting a free Rally.