Rate the Unit, Day 10: Ilyana

PKL

Dat Rules (borrowed/stolen from Integrity)

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard Mode+Fixed Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly.

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Every ranking phase ends whenever I get out of bed, between 0700 and 0800 EST. Do the math for your timezone, Brits.

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "she brings a Knight Ward to the team" as an argument.

- BEXP is free to be used in any quantity on any character.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

Averages:

Shinon: 3

Soren: 5.152

Rhys: 5.315

Gatrie: 5.463

Mia: 5.708

Boyd: 8.293

Ike: 8.567

Oscar: 9.075

Titania: 9.91

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Failure in Spd. Averaging no more than 13.2 in her first class. She does get great Res though. My recommendations for supporting her is either with Zihark, or Mordecai. Lucia comes too late and Mia's support affinity will give her extra boosts that she don't need. It is advised to forge her a tome with less weight to have her double better. She might need one of the two Seraph Robes too. (Recommended) She also better get Adapt too to get her to double some enemies that normally she can't ever double. Shade is useful, especially for fetish fanboys of her. =) Also having good Str growth in the game than any other Mag user but Calill is going to guarantee to get her to use any tome later on without any Spd loss.

So.....

NM

8/10

HM

7.5/10

I love using Ilyana, but there are some bad things about her.

She doesn't attack you in her joining chapter unless you attack her, which is nice, but it's not like she poses a threat. Her bases are...not the best at this point in the game. The main problems with her are her SPD, DEF, and HP, and it doesn't help that thunder tomes are heavy. Her 30% SPD growth, 45% HP growth, and 15% DEF growth (her base is 3, for Christ's sake!) will not help her in the long run at all.

Now onto the good stuff: Ilyana has Shade, so enemies will probably not attack her, which is helpful.. Aside from the earlier complaints about her growths, the rest of them are competent.

Soren may have the availability lead over her, which makes him more usable. But thunder magic > wind magic. If Ilyana's SPD gets better, she'll be a killing machine.

4/10, +.5 bias for:

32.gif

4.5/10

Edited by ZM456

Considering I'm recruiting her now, I can't say. She has lower growths than Soren in everything, barring luck, str, and tied HP. That str means she won't be roughed down by better spells later on, like her Elthunder.

She prefers a better magic type over Soren, but still seems like a lesser unit IMO.

Also, as delicious as her Light support is, giving her unneeded accuracy, it does, Morde gives her much appreciated Def, and Zihark/Lucia give her huge avoid.

Also, dat Shade increases her survivability, given her low defensive parameters.

6 for me. It's all theorycraft, but I think it makes sense.

Edited by Elieson

The thing that I love about Ilyana is her access to Thunder tomes which is nice to fry down those pesky Dragons and crit the crap out of anything unfortunate.

Oh, sure... She may be an inferior unit; but she does have a better Support pool which comes in the form of Zihark (She wants that AVOID) and Mordecai (Full DEF bonuses) in my books that is...

Add the Shade to her survivability parameters; since her low DEF is a magnet for enemies; Ugh.

Oh, and remember to feed her a Speedwing just in case if her stomach is being a meanie.

But with OM NOM NOM BIAS POWERS and the BLESSINGS OF PACMAN AND KIRBY DEVOURING EVERYTHING...

Edited by Frostbite

Okay, most every fibre of me wants to mark her down for being like Soren but worse. However that's against the rules.

Right, first off, she's a pain to recruit. Secondly she seems to have pretty weak stats overall, with high Strength for a Mage being the biggest thing she has going for her, and even that's not particularly high (Especially since 90% it just makes your Thunder forges cheaper). D Thunder is handy but not particularly mind-blowing. Also, Shade is a bit of a dubious Skill too, you might be better off WITHOUT it. Or maybe not, but even then it's not the best and it won't be a super duper lifesaver anyway since there seems to be a huge amount of doubt on how it and Provoke works.

5/10 -1 bias for the hype she gets over *ahem* a certain other Mage which just seems to be powered by her miniskirt = 4/10

Ilyana is a REALLY underrated unit in my eyes. Her speed issues, while bad, are not beyond fixable and people place far too much value on high movement and enemy counters in general. She has a better early-game than Soren and, in my eyes, having a second sage is invaluable no matter the segment of the game. Powerful ranged strikes, a great weapon type (possibly the best weapon-type in the game in a vacuum) and just... amazing in general. Not to mention how outright adorable she is.

7/10 from me.

Illyana is not as good as Soren, but I have a feeling she will score higher.

PROS:

-Ummm, she has Shade? As far as I know, it is still unknown/unclear EXACTLY how Shade works, and it is certainly not something that can be relied on.

-she has a high STR growth (for a mage)

CONS:

-Her MAG, SKL, SPD growths are all 10% lower than the mage who is around for 4 Chapters before the Chapter she is recruited in.

-She is pretty fragile.

She is basically an inferior Soren. The only thing she does better is weild seige tomes, and because of her low SPD it is really not that much better. I gave Soren a 7.5 so Illyana gets a....

6.25/10 - She is flexible like Soren and has basically the same utility but... Adept > Shade

5.5. Uses a better magic type than that guy does, and can actually avoid getting weighed down by magic later on. A shame about the jointime (though IMO a certain other mage was even worse in that regard, considering he joined in a chapter that was inefficient for training him) and speed, however... Also, +1 bias for not being a damn near unlikable prick like a certain other mage personality wise.

Edited by Metal King Slime

Funny, I thought we were supposed to rate on GAMEPLAY PERFORMANCE, not PERSONALITY.... Oh wait, we are.

@Snowy- Illyana has a better earlygame than Soren? What do you consider earlygame? I always thought of earlygame as Prologue-Chapter 8-10 ish.

Funny, I thought we were supposed to rate on GAMEPLAY PERFORMANCE, not PERSONALITY.... Oh wait, we are.

@Snowy- Illyana has a better earlygame than Soren? What do you consider earlygame? I always thought of earlygame as Prologue-Chapter 8-10 ish.

IIRC it has something to do with her joining situation.

It's Ilyana joining in a Defense chapter where she can kill/chip stuff V.S Soren's joining chapter where he's already screwed due to the bad timing; and a crapton of enemies that can kill him easy!

Edited by Frostbite

Its 8 turns of defense. How soon can you recruit her, like turn 4? Also, are you trying to say that enemies cant kill Illyana in her joining Chapter? She is just as squishy for hers as Soren is for his.

It doesnt take a genious to get just one enemy to attack Soren on his join Chapter, and he has 3 other Chapters (one of which happens to be defend) to get Cexp. Also, he can get Bexp in the Chapter 8 base.

Has a lot of the same problems as Soren, namely poor movement and bad durability. Her joining chapter is better for her than Soren's because of the choke-points and you can't beat it in two turns but eh. Her growths are pretty average for a mage outside of her oddly low Spd, so she'll never be able to double faster enemies. Overall Soren's better but it's not a particularly significant difference.

On the other hand unlike Soren Ilyana's cute and wears a miniskirt so +1 bias.

4/10

Edited by tiff

Its 8 turns of defense. How soon can you recruit her, like turn 4? Also, are you trying to say that enemies cant kill Illyana in her joining Chapter? She is just as squishy for hers as Soren is for his.

It doesnt take a genious to get just one enemy to attack Soren on his join Chapter, and he has 3 other Chapters (one of which happens to be defend) to get Cexp. Also, he can get Bexp in the Chapter 8 base.

Soren joins in a chapter that's easily 2 turnable, in addition to being a wide open field. That doesn't really sound like a good joining situation to me IMO.

Soren joins in a chapter that's easily 2 turnable, in addition to being a wide open field. That doesn't really sound like a good joining situation to me IMO.

What's your point? It's not like Soren doesn't have the entirety of C8 (unlike Ilyana) and C5 to get easy Cexp. Soren can also positively contribute in C7's rout. It takes some strange logic to penalize Soren for contributions he can make before Ilyana joins. And it's pretty easy (if you make it a goal) to have a level 6 Soren before Ilyana is recruited, even in the most speedy of playthroughs.

What's your point? It's not like Soren doesn't have the entirety of C8 (unlike Ilyana) and C5 to get easy Cexp. Soren can also positively contribute in C7's rout. It takes some strange logic to penalize Soren for contributions he can make before Ilyana joins. And it's pretty easy (if you make it a goal) to have a level 6 Soren before Ilyana is recruited, even in the most speedy of playthroughs.

Uhhh, I don't have one? I'm just calling it as I see it. I'm not contesting your other claims though.

Her main magic is the best magic in the game, which is good. But she's kind of frail. Typical squishy mage, except Soren's better. She's decent for earlygame chipping and whatnot. And 1~2 Range always.

4/10

Pretty similar to Soren with most of his same problems, but joins later. Can be salvaged with a promotion to staffbotting, just like he can. Uses better magic than Soren, so there's that I guess, albeit without Adept.

6/10

Awww, man. I missed Mia and I actually had strong opinions on her.

Anyhow, Ilyana's like a inferior version of Soren, with much of the same problems. She's got more strength, but he has higher high magic/speed each of which makes up for it. He also has a better affinity and adept. Since I gave him a 5 she can have a 4 -.5 bias since I think she's overrated. So....

Ilyana, that mage with only one characterization aspect. Being hungry. :mellow:

Pros:

Ok base level.

Good strength growth.

Innate Shade.

Cons:

Speed isnt as good as Soren's.

Squishier than Soren (wow).

Really, im not a fan. Shes actually decent in this game though. Her growths arent as nice as Soren's. In my runs, at least, hes got a level lead on her. (by one or two levels...) Her strength growth means she wont get weighed down by tomes which is nice. But it may take a while before shes actually doubling anything. I dunno, i prefer Soren (big time) over her. She can be used along side him for some extra magic murder though. I find her character to be super boring though. Like omg.

6/10. 5/10 bias because i like Soren loads better and like, she bores me.