The RNG and finding items in the desert

Hello everyone.

We know the following about finding items in the desert:

- Thieves have a 100% chance to find an item

- All other units have a 1/11 (9%) chance to find an item

- The check that determines success is based off the secondary RNG

My question is: is there any way to reliably rig the secondary RNG to find desert items? My plan for chapter 14 of an FE6 NM speedrun relies on 3 non-thief item finds, and a reliable way to find the items would save much frustration and time in addition to removing the need to segment suspend saves in the chapter.

(I'm posting this topic here instead of asking in IRC because Toothache is always asleep when I'm playing)

Edited by dondon151

From beamcrash:

How to get "buried treasure" surely

1.command A+B+Start+Select(Reset)

2.continue

3.watch a unit states

4.cancel

5.move and quit

Now, beamcrash is not a native English speaker (and thus his English is pretty bad), but zorbees figured out that by "states" he means "stats," and then it immediately made sense.

Essentially, this is how you guarantee an item find in chapter 14:

1. Soft or hard reset (it doesn't matter which, as long as the game turns off and resets the RNG state)

2. Resume chapter

3. View a unit's statsheet with R, exit

4. Move onto a treasure tile with a unit

5. Hit "wait"

Step 5 does not work if the unit rearranges his inventory, uses an item, or trades with another unit (I think it's because the secondary RNG advances when you enter those menus, or when the unit's mugshot comes up). It does work if the unit uses the "drop" command, and presumably other rescue-related commands.

I just tried this and got it to work 6 times consecutively; the chances of that happening is about 0.0000531%. Safe to say, with almost complete confidence, that it works.

I hope this is helpful for everyone! You'll never have to deploy a thief in that map again...

Edited by dondon151

Yeeeeeees

I hate having to be so RNG reliant for stuff like boots and warp >|

Thief is alright for silver card since axemen on his side anyway but screw ever getting Astohl down the other side

Thank you so much

I forget who, but someone used a similar method for FE7. Apparently viewing a unit's face in the item screen wastes enough RN's or something that gives 100% chance.

There was, you can read more here.

• 2 weeks later...

fuck the fe6 patch it looks so unlegit

I use it just for the sake of clarity and to understand the story (even if the writing is 5th-grade quality). There's actually an effort to spiff up that patch... you can find the thread somewhere in the forums.

Anyway, this is an awesome find. I'm totally going to use this from now on.