Mistakes or errors on the site 2

VincentASM

Now that we have a brand spanking new site, I figured it's time for a new thread (as the previous one was getting massive).

Also, manually moving over 2700 or so pages isn't easy, so I expect there will be some new mistakes or errors as a result. But nothing we can't fix (hopefully)!

Something I must confess: We've been working on the new site for several months (at least half a year) and, as such, I haven't gotten around to fixing mistakes for games that aren't FE13 during that time.

(And even still, FE13 isn't free from known mistakes either depending on how recent a mistake was noted/fixed.)

To do list

Everything reported from as far back as March 2014.

Find a solution for the really big tables.

Edited by Jyosua

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just how New is the New data in FE8 Boss Data, Fe5 Family Tree and FE7 Game Script? New's been there for like, ever

Not very. It's just meant to show they're the last pages to be updated in their relevant sections.

Truly impressive site. The wordpress quality design really shows. /sarcasm

Okay but stupidity aside, what's up with this?

0ab2eaba17.png

65d3ec0f25.png

Why are game links the title of the game now? What happened to http://serenesforest.net/fe5 or http://serenesforest.net/fe4/anima ? It's a minor nitpick, but typing in a full game title is way more complicated than three quick letters, and especially if you use URL's to jump from game to game.

The mainsite is "new" but it's not actually better. I can see you've been working on this a long time but;

1. The layout of each main game page is exactly the same as before.

2. The issues with the old site and continuity between games are still there. For example:

ca1ae8786e.png

and

08c48788dd.png

Why are CON and MOV in different positions? Why do characters in FE7 have the class as a part of their name while FE8 has the class as its own vertical section? Why doesn't FE7 have the level displayed for the characters? Why doesn't FE7 have an Affinity? Why doesn't FE7 say S/M and why is it racist against mages? Etc.

I'm keeping in mind that these are the same issues as the old site. The format of the site, the way it looks and etc, has been slightly changed. But overall you just made an expensive time consuming upgrade for no perceivable benefit. What was the point other than "it's shiny and new" when it has even been a downgrade in some areas, such as the longer URL's?

Edited by Klok's Juicy Tits

1a6489ab7e3482c1440290a2cbaa22c5.png
This is a bit funny, in the FE4 2nd gen page, Scorpio is pictured as the star shard from FE3!

Edited by Star-Lord

Why are CON and MOV in different positions? Why do characters in FE7 have the class as a part of their name while FE8 has the class as its own vertical section? Why doesn't FE7 have the level displayed for the characters? Why doesn't FE7 have an Affinity? Why doesn't FE7 say S/M and why is it racist against mages? Etc.

I'll let Jyosua reply about the purpose of the new site, if he wants to.

As for the issues from the old site... why do you insist on conformity? Can't people pages be different because they can be? XD

In all seriousness, there are two reasons: First, different people may have worked on different pages. Secondly, even if I did similar pages, me from 2008 can be quite different to me from 2009.

I guess I can change the formatting, if I wanted to, but I hardly ever get complaints o__o

Also... I think you picked a bad comparison, because one is a class page and the other a character page...

Not sure why Mov and Con are in different places though. My instinct is telling me their positions are swapped depending on if you're looking at the game or looking at the game code. But I don't have a ROM or Nightmare module or anything to check.

Edited by VincentASM

Klok I'm pretty sure your first image is the class page, not the character pages. Classes don't come with affinities, and FE7 has three different types of lords, which is why the character is there.

The actual character page looks like this.

88c4423d8cff4dc8c1751cb6349f6526.png

Oops, meant to copy the character pages for FE8/7. My bad.

87fc03b551.png

73f8882501.png

2addb08da2.png

As for conformity, I'm making a remake of sacred contention, and when I reffed the FE8 page after doing FE7 character, the con was in a different place and I didn't notice, leading me to put the wrong numbers in for like 20 characters before I realized my mistake.

It's a website. Consistency makes every page familiar and professional.

So basically, looking at the two pages I just now capped, they still have pretty much all the issues I mentioned anyway.

Edited by Klok's Juicy Tits

As for conformity, I'm making a remake of sacred contention, and when I reffed the FE8 page after doing FE7 character, the con was in a different place and I didn't notice, leading me to put the wrong numbers in for like 20 characters before I realized my mistake.

It's a website. Consistency makes every page familiar and professional.

So basically, looking at the two pages I just now capped, they still have pretty much all the issues I mentioned anyway.

Okay, makes sense. Now that you mention it, I think I've done that before when referencing stats as well.

Well, I guess I'll add it to the big list of things to do. Not trying to brush you off at all, but we've got a long list of things to change (moreso than ever) : P

Funny you should mention "familiar" and "professional" because I'm pretty sure the purpose of the new site revamp is to get closer to those two concepts. Old SF was mostly one guy using a broken WYSIWYG editor.

Edited by VincentASM

Vincent I called you out on consistency in the other thread c'mon man!

Blazing Sword's Header Image is botched. Same with Binding Blade, Thracia 776, Sacred Stones, and all pictures on the Berwick Saga page

Among the new things is I guess these character pages?

Yeah those are, those are things.

Good... luck... with those.

Hmm, what's wrong? I can guess, but it might be easier if you would tell me ^^

As many authors will probably tell you, a mistake may look obvious to others, but not to them : P

Um. To be blunt, it's horribly ugly plaintext. It's also a wall of plaintext, there's no seperation for classes other than the bolded letters in the middle of more letters... and it's just ugly. Tabs at the top, separate sheets per class, anything is better than this mishmashed wall of text per child.

85d8855176e1e95fa20ed6e3e214c926.png

ingreen is a pretty neat word, but I think it'd look better as "in green".

:smug:

http://serenesforest.net/blazing-sword/classes/terrain-data/

That page has a table that's wayyyyyyy too good at ignoring boundary rules

http://serenesforest.net/blazing-sword/characters/boss-data/normal-mode/stats/

http://serenesforest.net/blazing-sword/characters/boss-data/hard-mode/stats/

These do too. Also,

e6c08b5b677c44e491fc14f146141e82.png

If you click [Normal/Hard] Mode on any of these pages, you're brought back to the Blazing Sword main page

Edited by Sara.

Um. To be blunt, it's horribly ugly plaintext. It's also a wall of plaintext, there's no seperation for classes other than the bolded letters in the middle of more letters... and it's just ugly. Tabs at the top, separate sheets per class, anything is better than this mishmashed wall of text per child.

Well, it didn't look so bad before IMO, before the table width got constricted.

I'll see what I can do though.

Maybe it's just my computer because I'm using a low-end laptop with fairly bad resolution, but I'm getting a lot of janky borders in the various tables, like so:

D2jwWPA.jpg

They seem to load fine at first but as soon as I scroll them off the page and back, or if they weren't visible when the page first loaded, that happens.

Edited by Oshimos

I actually appreciate the bandwidth-light design of the page. See, in some places we have these things called data caps so it's nice when you can load a page and know that you're not wasting loads of data on useless things like background images and stupid banners. The layout is fine. I use SF pages to find data and information quickly and efficiently, not to be wowed by GIFs and icons and scrollover effects.

Okay but stupidity aside, what's up with this?

0ab2eaba17.png

65d3ec0f25.png

Why are game links the title of the game now? What happened to http://serenesforest.net/fe5 or http://serenesforest.net/fe4/anima ? It's a minor nitpick, but typing in a full game title is way more complicated than three quick letters, and especially if you use URL's to jump from game to game.

The mainsite is "new" but it's not actually better. I can see you've been working on this a long time but;

1. The layout of each main game page is exactly the same as before.

2. The issues with the old site and continuity between games are still there. For example:

ca1ae8786e.png

and

08c48788dd.png

I'm keeping in mind that these are the same issues as the old site. The format of the site, the way it looks and etc, has been slightly changed. But overall you just made an expensive time consuming upgrade for no perceivable benefit. What was the point other than "it's shiny and new" when it has even been a downgrade in some areas, such as the longer URL's?

I'll let Jyosua reply about the purpose of the new site, if he wants to.

As for the issues from the old site... why do you insist on conformity? Can't people pages be different because they can be? XD

In all seriousness, there are two reasons: First, different people may have worked on different pages. Secondly, even if I did similar pages, me from 2008 can be quite different to me from 2009.

I guess I can change the formatting, if I wanted to, but I hardly ever get complaints o__o

Also... I think you picked a bad comparison, because one is a class page and the other a character page...

Not sure why Mov and Con are in different places though. My instinct is telling me their positions are swapped depending on if you're looking at the game or looking at the game code. But I don't have a ROM or Nightmare module or anything to check.

The real purpose is that being able to style everything at once is much, much easier than having to edit 3,000 pages. Additionally, it's easier to add things to and maintain. It also looks nicer and more standardized than the previous iteration and let's be real: the last design (outside of the home page) has been around for 7 years!

Speaking of 3,000 pages... do you have any idea how long the transfer took? We were more concerned with cleaning the html to something more modern, readable, and less riddled with errors. This project was originally started in March of last year! Making every single page conform was not the primary goal. Getting all the content to the new site was prioritized over anything else and that's still not even 100% finished. It's like 95% finished.

As far as the URLs, I will eventually be creating some rewrite rules, so serenesforest.net/feX/ will still work. Meanwhile, any attempts to access those URLs are now set to redirect to the old version of the website.

Vincent I called you out on consistency in the other thread c'mon man!

Blazing Sword's Header Image is botched. Same with Binding Blade, Thracia 776, Sacred Stones, and all pictures on the Berwick Saga page

These are oversights, or just something we didn't finish. All images across the site are eventually going to be uploaded into the WordPress installation.

Maybe it's just my computer because I'm using a low-end laptop with fairly bad resolution, but I'm getting a lot of janky borders in the various tables, like so:

D2jwWPA.jpg

They seem to load fine at first but as soon as I scroll them off the page and back, or if they weren't visible when the page first loaded, that happens.

This seems to be an issue only in Firefox. I'm not sure what's up, but I'm aware of it and have been trying to find a way to fix it. It might just be a browser-related rendering issue.