Who do you consider the Main Character?

So after reading through the "gripes with the plot thread" it got me thinking because the game jumps around alot and has you switching sides who would you consider to be the main lord or character of Radiant Dawn. It goes without saying that in Path of Radiance that its Ike. In Part I they definetely build Micaiah up to be the main lord but then Part II switches over to Elincia and then Ike comes in till the endgame.

Of course the easy thing to do would be to ask what are the defeat conditions? What characters must you keep alive in order to keep progressing? In most cases its Ike and Micaiah makes sense given that they are both seen in defeating Ashera at the end. But in others like in the begining of Part II Nephenee and Brom need to survive and those are obviously characters that fall by the wayside.

The final thing I'd say is that the game does seem to lean further towards Ike especially with his ending portrait of him leaving and the excerpt talking about him becoming a legend and all.

Edited by LordTaco42

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's Micaiah's damn game, she's the protagonist, but Ike got shoehorned in and stole the spotlight for the sake of marketing, I feel. Something that probably happened pretty early in development.

Yes, I'm still salty to this day about Ike shoving Micaiah out of the limelight.

Edited by Ritisa

Yeah, Micaiah could've been an interesting character had Ike not completely taken over. They could've BOTH been the main characters and BOTH shared the spotlight. And this is coming from a rabid Ike fangirl and a Micaiah hater.

Although, if IS really wanted Ike to be the big shot again, why create Micaiah at all? Honestly.

Definitely Ike, I honestly played POR and RD as the same game, so Miccy in part 1 was stealing Ike's spotlight for me.

It's a shame RD has such a weak plot tho. It definitely seems like it couldn't decide if Micaiah was important or not.

Edited by MCProductions

Definitely Ike, I honestly played POR and RD as the same game, so Miccy in part 1 was stealing Ike's spotlight for me.

It's a shame RD has such a weak plot tho. It definitely seems like it couldn't decide if Micaiah was important or not.

Yeah pretty much.

One of the several problems with the game's story is that they clearly favored Ike as the protagonist, and yet the actual plot doesn't directly concern him all that much. I really wish they had actually built a story around him.

He's the only one who makes decisions rationally, be it because of Sephiran or not. Also, many of Micaiah's chapters are about how the BK saved her ass. He's also the only one who was written well.

I thought it was Meg since she was trying to find pookums.

Honestly though it's Micaiah but Ike stole her spotlight for marketing reasons. I think that's partially why IS decided to go with MyUNit after FE12 as the main protagonists instead of having two (or more) lords sharing the game, each having their own design and own conflict between the fanbase of the other lord(s).

Edited by MidnightStar

• 1 month later...

I honestly think its a co-lord thing, like FE8.That said, Micaiah needed more spotlight later on.

^

Part 4 does become an Ike/Yune and sometimes Micaiah thing

To be fair Yune is cool though

Edited by DavidSW

There isn't a singular protagonist. Micaiah and Ike share the position.

I'd agree with this more, if Ike wasn't as clearly the "hero" to root for when their armies clash, Micaiah does have some good grey moments in P3 however then come part 4 they do share the spotlight again.

I'd also say Elincia and Tibarn are secondary protagonists to a point.

Edited by Jedi

Nephenee (because her availability and soldiers are cool)

In all seriousness, I agree that Micaiah is the protagonist but Ike (sort of) stole her spotlight. Also, I like Micaiah. She's a pretty interesting character. (I haven't actually finished the game though so idk if the story ruins her in her re-introduction)

Radiant Dawn is the Gundam SEED Destiny of Fire Emblem: person supposed to be the main character gets cut off by the original protagonist of the predecessor.

Radiant Dawn is the Gundam SEED Destiny of Fire Emblem: person supposed to be the main character gets cut off by the original protagonist of the predecessor.

Except this is alot better then SEED Destiny.

Which I'd equate as the Dragon Ball GT of Gundam.