Bloodlines (2.4)

ghast

... That isn't an acceptable defence. And you didn't actually deny you were just using the Elibe characters and misspelling their names... ?

The dog, incidentally, has a shit sprite and a mug that doesn't fit established FE sprite style - neither does your main character, by the way, who is hindered by being shit generally. And it's spelt 'jubilant'.

Desmod isn't a name.

Yeah but Desmod sounds really fucking stupid. Look up some actual names. Pick real-world naming conventions, work on those. Do you want them to have a Byzantine feel, then look up Greek names, or whatever.

Similar note, if you want royal-sounding names, look up some fucking monarchs. You won't find the reign of Zav IV anywhere. It just sounds like Gav, but misspelt. Gavin isn't a regal name. Henry, Edward, Louis and Wilhelm are.

'Zavilla'. 'The villain'. Jesus christ, you aren't fucking subtle, are you. You're treating your own project as a fucking joke.

Why do you have to be such an asshole?

Anyway. Ghast. I've been keeping my eyes on your sprite gallery for a while and seeing this topic has made me rather happy. Keep it up and do what you want with this. I'm rather excited to see this. Please, keep this updated. I know hacks are hard to do this with but still. I'd love to see a demo of a few chapters at least! Excellent work!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to see a demo of a few chapters at least!

NO! Don't settle for less! Finish this thing! *angry motivation face*

Whoa, shots fired

also this, even I'm not that bad when I purposely act like an asshole lol, guess I can't beat the real thing

Oh hey, you can hack! Nice. This in itself will be pretty interesting. Just don't get caught with the names.

And don't make everyone's name start with a Z, either! :P

A full custom hack that already looks good in its early stages?

I'm impressed, this is promising.

I haven't a problem with invented names, honestly. I mean, it's your world, you can use whatever name you want. Just make sure they don't sound weird.

As for the story, it'd be good to have some kind of general plot in mind when progressing. Do NOT - ever - create the story only when you have to make a new chapter. That makes for an overly improvised plot most of the times, while you should seek some solid points (f.e. "In Chapter 3 this should happen") and then create the path that leads you to that point. At least, this is my suggestion; I'm sure there are many and different ways of writing, and the others might suggest you some as well.

I have no comments in particular for the rest, it's pretty neat. You have your own maps, events and graphics. Really nice.

Keep up the good job!

I like Bram as a name better than what his parents called him - it flows. Likewise, Dewey works, even if my mind wanders to Duck Tales. Desmond's name is better than his wife's and kids - certain names conjure up certain images, and "Modesta" brings to mind a less-than-pleasant girl. If the parents are using parts of their name to, uh, identify all of their kids, I'd develop an innate dislike of them. Let those kids have their own identity, not one that's forever tied to their parents!

The guys in the Spriting subforum can help you to polish the sprites (biggest offender IMO is Dewey's map sprite, which looks. . .odd), and I don't really like those two bandits lined up in the first screenshot (that's a personal thing, don't mind me). I don't mind the bandit starting chapter, given what you're trying to portray Bram as.

I'll give more input later. It's not a bad start!

After doing a Google search, it turns out that Zavilla is actually the last name of at least 3 people, (or so they say).

Zavilla doesn't sound bad, but Zava and Zaviel could use some touching up, in my opinion.

Ah, okay!

Mate, one of the main characters is a dog. Settle down.

you are my hero

Prince of Cathcart huh? Reminds me of Catch-22 tbh

All these references to other things, i don't know any of dem ><

Whoa, shots fired. Indignation up the flank. Lmao.

Seriously though Ghast, this shit looks dope. Keep on keeping on.

lol thanks!

Anyway. Ghast. I've been keeping my eyes on your sprite gallery for a while and seeing this topic has made me rather happy. Keep it up and do what you want with this. I'm rather excited to see this. Please, keep this updated. I know hacks are hard to do this with but still. I'd love to see a demo of a few chapters at least! Excellent work!

Thank you :D

NO! Don't settle for less! Finish this thing! *angry motivation face*

also this, even I'm not that bad when I purposely act like an asshole lol, guess I can't beat the real thing

so now you care

Oh hey, you can hack! Nice. This in itself will be pretty interesting. Just don't get caught with the names.

And don't make everyone's name start with a Z, either! :P

haha, i didn't expect the names to cause such a poopfest but I guess changing them should be a thing

A full custom hack that already looks good in its early stages?

I'm impressed, this is promising.

I haven't a problem with invented names, honestly. I mean, it's your world, you can use whatever name you want. Just make sure they don't sound weird.

As for the story, it'd be good to have some kind of general plot in mind when progressing. Do NOT - ever - create the story only when you have to make a new chapter. That makes for an overly improvised plot most of the times, while you should seek some solid points (f.e. "In Chapter 3 this should happen") and then create the path that leads you to that point. At least, this is my suggestion; I'm sure there are many and different ways of writing, and the others might suggest you some as well.

I have no comments in particular for the rest, it's pretty neat. You have your own maps, events and graphics. Really nice.

Keep up the good job!

thanks for the tip! I have some of the plot written down already, I was hoping I could help on the plot too when the hack develops

I like Bram as a name better than what his parents called him - it flows. Likewise, Dewey works, even if my mind wanders to Duck Tales. Desmond's name is better than his wife's and kids - certain names conjure up certain images, and "Modesta" brings to mind a less-than-pleasant girl. If the parents are using parts of their name to, uh, identify all of their kids, I'd develop an innate dislike of them. Let those kids have their own identity, not one that's forever tied to their parents!

The guys in the Spriting subforum can help you to polish the sprites (biggest offender IMO is Dewey's map sprite, which looks. . .odd), and I don't really like those two bandits lined up in the first screenshot (that's a personal thing, don't mind me). I don't mind the bandit starting chapter, given what you're trying to portray Bram as.

I'll give more input later. It's not a bad start!

thank you! Modesta its funny you mention about Modesta because she's basically supposed to be less-than-pleasant XD

Aaaah you're finally putting your animations into a game, can't wait!

+1 for putting up with the stupid onion without crying

I eat onions like its my job, thanks !

Thanks for the imput everyone!

Edited by GhastStation

The story does seem like its slightly edited from the desmond/zephiel arc, but i dont see a problem with reusing or editing already existing names. It certainly wouldn't be the first hack to do so. As for the hack itself, the first chapter looks promising, we'll just have to see where things go if it gets further. Im definitely interested in this.

It`s not really slightly edited when it`s essentially the exact same story with the exact same names.

Firstly, some people need a reminder that criticizing and being constructive is not the same thing.

Secondly, all of that has been dealt with privately and I don't want to see anything else here about it.

And thirdly, moved to concepts because there is not enough progress for it to be in general.

(Btw, this does look promising so far so keep up the good work~)

inb4 the dog dies

This looks neat so far. Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Firstly, some people need a reminder that criticizing and being constructive is not the same thing.

Secondly, all of that has been dealt with privately and I don't want to see anything else here about it.

And thirdly, moved to concepts because there is not enough progress for it to be in general.

(Btw, this does look promising so far so keep up the good work~)

thank you! One question, how much progress do I need for it to be moved back into general? Or I guess what constitutes general vs concept?

I'd like to volunteer as assistant story-writer. o3o

thanks! I'll contact you for help when the time comes.
Edited by GhastStation

You get to play as a dog of sheer death and his master who can DUAL-WIELD.

You've fucking sold me on this hack.

:D! thanks ! the dewey seems to be a big sell haha.

So I have been thinking of name changes. How about these?

Desmod -> Cassander

Modesta -> Angelica

Zava -> Zaria

Zaviel-> still thinking

Zavilla -> Ajatar

this time they are all inspired/taken from actual gods/goddesses/kings/queens

thoughts?

Edited by GhastStation

thank you! One question, how much progress do I need for it to be moved back into general? Or I guess what constitutes general vs concept?

thanks! I'll contact you for help when the time comes.

As far as I know, you at least need a patch with a sufficient amount of progress in order for it to be moved to the ROM Hacking section.

Still think you should keep Zavilla for something, but Ajatar is a really cool name! How do you pronounce it? Since Zaviel ends up being a wanderer after leaving his kingdom, why not Ulysses (Ulixes for the Latin version)?

Apparently its like Ah-Ya-Tar

Ulysses, that would fit in! I might use that, thanks!

I like Zava and Modesta. I think the main offenders are Desmod and Zaviel. Zavilla is ok too.

And keep bram.

thanks, and you're right I'll need to change though. I suppose names are just a matter of opinion and I don't think I can 100% please everyone haha, I mean I'm sure there are people who didn't like Eliwood. I shouldn't get caught up in names though XD.

Cassander - Meh. I'm not sure what you want to portray him as, so I can't really suggest anything better (but my stupid brain sees it as Cassandra, which is NOT what you want).

Angelica - Perfect, and gives the imagery you seem to want.

Zaria - I'd swap this with the queen.

Ajater - Swap with younger sister.

Zaviel - A wanderer? Hmmm. . .another name that comes to mind is Jonah. Pity that he isn't a girl, or I'd suggest some variation of Anastasia.

It's a step in the right direction, though!

Cassander - Meh. I'm not sure what you want to portray him as, so I can't really suggest anything better (but my stupid brain sees it as Cassandra, which is NOT what you want).

Angelica - Perfect, and gives the imagery you seem to want.

Zaria - I'd swap this with the queen.

Ajater - Swap with younger sister.

Zaviel - A wanderer? Hmmm. . .another name that comes to mind is Jonah. Pity that he isn't a girl, or I'd suggest some variation of Anastasia.

It's a step in the right direction, though!

Each name has a historical meaning behind it that associates with the characters, but I picked angelica because Rugrats XD. For Zaviel, I was thinking Apollo, you know, minus the chariot in the sun part XD. But Idk they're all good suggestions,

thanks for ignoring my question

;/

and yes you need a public release of sorts

I was actually thinking of an answer earlier today haha

I suppose because teeth are like, the closest thing to daggers? and daggers are swordish enough?

and if I have to fight like an animal I suppose maybe using a lance would be the best choice?

Edited by GhastStation