Best and Worst Classes in Awakening

voltimer

Sniper is the worst in Awakening (But amazing in Fates). Skills (only Bowfaire) that are only effective for Archers and Hit Rate +20 is only useful on Tharja. Bow Knight is the far superior Archer promotion. I'm not crazy about Warrior either but at least they get access to axes.

Assassin I feel is the best class in this game, everything about this class is great.

Griffon Rider

Griffon Rider has Deliverer and gives Lon'qu Lancebreaker, so it can't be the the worst Anyway, best class is Sorc, but Dread Fighter is a close second. The worst class, as others have said, is Sniper. 2 range weapons are useless in a game where magic, which has 1-2 range, is OP. In fact I think I could think of reasons why more classes aren't the worst if they aren't named Sniper.u

Trickster is not the worst class if only because Lucky Seven and Acrobat are ridiculously good skills to have. I took Acrobat onto Valkyrie... the movement of a flier with the lack of arrow weakness is ridiculous. Staff utility is also always helpful and Levin Swords are the most plentiful of the non-book magic weapons.

Sorcerer is probably the best class in a run about self sufficiency. Nearly impossible to kill because Nosferatu is broken as hell once weight is taken out of the equation.

Worst class is probably Taguel. Being locked to 1 range forever is not great. They've got good speed and effective damage vs beasts (but not vs Walhart), but otherwise they are completely overshadowed by the manaketes' significant advantages in strength, defense, and attack range. Dishonourable mention is probably War Cleric for a lack of good users, lack of Bolt Axes without DLC, and having its skills overshadowed by other classes.

Bowlock in this game can be an advantage in Lunatic+ due to the prevalence of counter. But otherwise Sniper is pretty bad, but there's niche cases when you don't want to counter on EP.

Edited by Samias

Griffon Rider has Deliverer and gives Lon'qu Lancebreaker, so it can't be the the worst Anyway, best class is Sorc, but Dread Fighter is a close second. The worst class, as others have said, is Sniper. 2 range weapons are useless in a game where magic, which has 1-2 range, is OP. In fact I think I could think of reasons why more classes aren't the worst if they aren't named Sniper.u

Oh, I was thinking it based on the class itself and not the skills it provides. Both those skills are good, but the utility of the class (besides the skills) was rather underwhelming in comparison to other flying classes.

I agree with Samias. Best class is Sorcerer because Nosferatu (and magic in general) is ridiculously powerful in Awakening. Though how the class that wears the least clothing is one of the most defensive will always be a mystery to me.

Worst class is Taguel because it's basically just a worse Manakete. Being permanently locked to 1 range is about as bad as it gets in Awakening.

Worst class is Taguel - being locked to weak weapons AND being range-locked is about as bad as it gets in Awakening. It doesn't help that the one thing they'd have going for them is rendered all but pointless thanks to forging. Dishonorable mention to Sniper for also being range-locked. I'm also not crazy about Berserker (eye cancer design and skills I couldn't care less about) and Assassin (their skills, well, suck ass).

I agree with Samias. Best class is Sorcerer because Nosferatu (and magic in general) is ridiculously powerful in Awakening. Though how the class that wears the least clothing is one of the most defensive will always be a mystery to me.

Worst class is Taguel because it's basically just a worse Manakete. Being permanently locked to 1 range is about as bad as it gets in Awakening.

I thought Berserker was the class that wore the least? Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Sniper is the worst in Awakening (But amazing in Fates). Skills (only Bowfaire) that are only effective for Archers and Hit Rate +20 is only useful on Tharja. Bow Knight is the far superior Archer promotion. I'm not crazy about Warrior either but at least they get access to axes.

Nah Snipers rule in Awakening. Forged long bows/double bow is where it's at. Especially if paired with a sage.

Edited by Radiant head

Worst pick goes to Taguel just for being locked to 1-range and having no auto-double weapons.

My picks would be ... Sniper for worst.

Sniper may not be god-tier when compared to Fates' but Sniper has the honor of being virtually immune to the Counter skill (one of the most cancerous elements in Awakening is the Counter-bombing strat used often in Lunatic+ and Apotheosis since Counter works even during the user's turn) as well as having a very high SKL stat, which makes Sniper the best pair-up partner for spamming dual attacks, especially if it's Sniper Chrom/Lucina equipped with Dual Strike+ skill paired with his/her S-support partner.

Sniper's down there and I understand the kneejerk to call it worst because Panne > Virion, but yeah Taguel is worse. Even if you could change anyone else into a taguel you'd never even consider doing so.

(Sniper certainly isn't god-tier in Fates. It still has the same problems as always, at least on Birthright [Revelation has the Mini Bow] just has some perks to make up for it and make it balanced instead of suck.)

Sorcerer seems a sensible pick for best. Most of the high-mobility classes get a solid honourable mention, as is so often the case.

Best:

In terms of design: I really like the Assassin's. I don't really know why, it just looks cool.

In terms of usefulness: Conqueror, Walhart's personal class. It's like the Great Knight, but Conquest negates the Bonus Damage done to Riders/Armored Units. (Of course, there's also DLC Ephraim)

Worst:

In terms of design: Sorcerer, specifically the female version (which for some reason is not called Sorceress). You can probably tell why.

In terms of usefulness: Sniper. Gets Hit+20, sure, but by the time you cap everything, you don't really need it, and it becomes obsolete by the Bow/Sword-wielding classes (like the aforementioned Assassin)

EDIT: Spelling when tired.

Edited by Power Master

I'd say that Sorceror is the best class by virtue of having access to Nosferatu. It's the easiest way to trivialize the game.

Sniper can't be the worst class unless we disregard Lunatic+ and Apotheosis. A Sniper is much more likely to survive EP than any 1 or 1-2 range locked class not named Sorceror. Initially, I wanted to say that Swordmaster is the least useful class but Taguel is even worse. Absolute lack of 1-2 range, mostly unimpressive skills, locked to one weapon that can't be forged for the majority of the game, not high enough stats to offset its weaknesses etc.

The absolute worst is Villager, but it's more of a joke class than something that the player is supposed to actually use throughout the game.

I'd say that Sorceror is the best class by virtue of having access to Nosferatu. It's the easiest way to trivialize the game.

Sniper can't be the worst class unless we disregard Lunatic+ and Apotheosis. A Sniper is much more likely to survive EP than any 1 or 1-2 range locked class not named Sorceror. Initially, I wanted to say that Swordmaster is the least useful class but Taguel is even worse. Absolute lack of 1-2 range, mostly unimpressive skills, locked to one weapon that can't be forged for the majority of the game, not high enough stats to offset its weaknesses etc.

The absolute worst is Villager, but it's more of a joke class than something that the player is supposed to actually use throughout the game.

Forget about Sorcerer since I was writing off the top of my head.

Other classes that are better then Sniper such as Assassin, and even Warrior can use bows better then Snipers though.

Villager isn't even good for skills, and it ultimately wastes a character slot.

Forget about Sorcerer since I was writing off the top of my head.

Other classes that are better then Sniper such as Assassin, and even Warrior can use bows better then Snipers though.

Villager isn't even good for skills, and it ultimately wastes a character slot.

Better at using Bows than Snipers is questionable. Snipers have access to Long/Double-bow and skills to help you use Bows better. Of course, Assassins and Warriors are better classes since they can alter range but that's besides the point. My argument is "Sniper isn't the worst class in the game", not "Snipers are the best bow users".

Snipers and Taguels are both outclassed. However, Snipers have a place where they can be useful, Taguels don't. That's why I mentioned that Sniper isn't the worst class in the game.

Agreed, it's such a joke class that I ignored it for the purpose of the thread. It seems like a class that you want to get out of as soon as possible and never return, specifically made to give a unit a terrible start without other purpose. It's comparable to the (normal) Trainee class in FE8.

Edited by Cyas

• 2 weeks later...

I made a thread about this ages ago where people tiered all the classes out, but I can't find it ~__~ Doesn't show up in my 'topics you created' part of my profile anymore lol... (kind of irritating, I'd actually like to be able to see those...)

IIRC most people said that Sage and Darkflier were the best ones. I seem to recall Heroes, Zerkers, and some others being fairly high as well.

EDIT: Ah, found it. Here we are. Granted, it's more for the really optimized postgame stuff, so grain of salt:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=46641&hl=

Edited by BANRYU

• 3 weeks later...

3 range bows are a nice bonus, but hardly the most useful thing in the game. They're handy in Apo but aside from that I can't think of anywhere when they were a true lifesaver. Also, class skills IMO aren't as much of a key point when ranking classes they are in other games what with Awakening's reclass system, where any sniper can grab bowfaire and immediately jump into a better class option.

3 range bows are a nice bonus, but hardly the most useful thing in the game. They're handy in Apo but aside from that I can't think of anywhere when they were a true lifesaver. Also, class skills IMO aren't as much of a key point when ranking classes they are in other games what with Awakening's reclass system, where any sniper can grab bowfaire and immediately jump into a better class option.

It's the only ranged attack that can't counter attack which doesn't leave you vulnerable to the Counter skill. And incidentally, with the counter skill, you can have your archer do damage back without having to counter attack. I'll take that over Tanguel which is locked at 1 range, and a beast killer can do the same thing they can.

It's the only ranged attack that can't counter attack which doesn't leave you vulnerable to the Counter skill. And incidentally, with the counter skill, you can have your archer do damage back without having to counter attack. I'll take that over Tanguel which is locked at 1 range, and a beast killer can do the same thing they can.

Any class that can use bows is theoretically immune to Counter, so I don't see how that's necessarily a point in the Sniper's favor. And while being unable to be counter-attacked is admittedly handy, I don't feel that the longbow deals enough damage to be that valuable, and the Double Bow is in very short supply without extensive DLC grinding. I agree with you, though, Taguel is the worst class. Their only real saving grace is that they don't need a Master Seal.

While that's true, that's not really a point in Sniper's favor. Also, Counter just ain't very useful for the player no matter which way you slice it. I do agree Taguel is just plain awful, though.

Any class that can use bows is theoretically immune to Counter, so I don't see how that's necessarily a point in the Sniper's favor. And while being unable to be counter-attacked is admittedly handy, I don't feel that the longbow deals enough damage to be that valuable, and the Double Bow is in very short supply without extensive DLC grinding. I agree with you, though, Taguel is the worst class. Their only real saving grace is that they don't need a Master Seal.

Yes it is. Because if an enemy archer or mage HAS Counter on it, 3 range > 2-range. That is literally something that the sniper has that no other class can just flat out bypass. What makes the LB useful is being able to attack from far away with a Dual Strike. Try it, having something like a person with a Brave Weapon Dual Strike against an enemy is 6 strikes right off the bat potentially with no fear of retaliation in all circumstances. That's something that is incredibly useful. Especially when we're scraping at the worst of the enemies. It also assures you that you can use a range attack, and no 1-2 range nonsense can happen that causes you to kill that enemy which opens you up to being attacked again. It's not great, but it's taking it out of worse class range in Lunatic+ mode so garbage like that can't happen to you.

Edited by Augestein