Editing the FE6 Patch

Popo

82 members have voted

1. 1. Should the name "Miledy" be kept or retranslated to something else?

2. 2. Should the name "Yuno" be changed to "Juno"?

In the United States, the Copyright Act defines "derivative work" in 17 U.S.C. § 101

A “derivative work” is a work based upon one or more pre-existing works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which a work may be recast, transformed, or adapted. A work consisting of editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other modifications which, as a whole, represent an original work of authorship, is a “derivative work”.

whoops

And did you bother to look at 17 USC § 103?

17 USC § 103 - Subject matter of copyright: Compilations and derivative works

(b) The copyright in a compilation or derivative work extends only to the material contributed by the author of such work, as distinguished from the preexisting material employed in the work, and does not imply any exclusive right in the preexisting material. The copyright in such work is independent of, and does not affect or enlarge the scope, duration, ownership, or subsistence of, any copyright protection in the preexisting material.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/103

This topic is for FE6 edits. Don't bother derailing it again. If you have a problem get in touch with the staff.

--

Popo, Bonnie, editing the text isn't as simple as going into FEditor and changing the text, there is an 'End' at 0CFE but I don't know what it's changing, when I changed it to wait neither option changed.

I was describing the process of changing the dialogue. I would imagine that altering the menus would be quite a bit more difficult, or would at least require a different method. >o<

Edited by Popo

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic has been locked at the request of Popo, who has also said:

"Hey, guys! Right now, I'm not actively working on this project due to school work. In light of recent events, I feel it would be best to temporarily lock this thread to prevent more derailing, and to reopen it when I can devote my full time and attention to the editing aspects of the project. (Hopefully in about two weeks or so.) If you need to show me anything related to the project or want to ask me a question, you can PM me. Thanks!"

Edited by Shuuda

• 3 weeks later...

Hey gang. :3 Now that finals are over and I'm out of school for a few months and the translation drama is over I'm ready to get back to work on this thing!

In a few days, I'll be breaking down each chapter into little script dumps that interested parties can lay claims to and work on. I'll try to coordinate things so that you guys can have the appropriate saves available to test your respective sections. I'll have the final say, but most of you seem pretty competent, so I'm not worried. Keep and eye out for that. Chapters 3, 4, 5, 6, etc. will be on deck soon.

Second, a newer member, fade5, has been playing something of a debug run-through of the game and has compiled a list of errors, which I've been slowly chipping away at. I knocked out a few issues, but we still have quite a few things to work on.

1. Roy's Rapier description reads: "Strong against armored" and cuts off the rest of the sentence. The full description should say "Strong against armored and mounted units"

Apparently weapon descriptions are allowed only one line of text. I inserted this text instead, which fits well: "Trumps Armors and Cavaliers."

Edit 2: Going with the FE7 description. "Effective against infantry."

--

2. Hand Axe cuts the word "distance" to "dist" in its description.

Same issue as above. Is now described as: "A long-range axe."

--

3. The guy in the Ch7 house with the Horseslayer calls it a "Knight Killer". (Knight Killer is a direct translation, but Horseslayer would be more consistent, and it honestly make more sense.)

--

4. Gonzales's recruitment talk in chapter 10A just ends right after he says "Me afraid"; however it is completed in chapter 10B.

--

5. Tate, Klein, and Percival's units are just called "Tate's", "Klein's", and "Percival's" respectively. Blazing sword used "Rath's Unit" instead of just "Rath's".

--

6. Niime and Yodel's support conversations have the same problem as Chad and Ellen's.

--

7. The descriptions in the attack preview window:

The advantaged weapon description mostly correct, it says:

"Damage and hit rate are increased because

your weapon has the weapon triangle advantage", however "because" and "advantage" are cut off.

--

8. Disadvantaged weapon is completely cut off, all that is visible is

"Damage

your weapon" with both Damage and weapon cut off.

--

9. Also, using an effective weapon, like Horseslayer vs a Cavalier has a different description, and both are cut off on the same way:

Advantaged reads:

"Your weapon

and will"

while Disdvantaged reads:

"Your weapon

but will"

--

10. The Power Description reads "... double attack is determined by SPD and LUK", but Luck does nothing to attack speed.

--

11. In the advanced Combat info window Speed reads "Unit's Speed. Determines if the unit will dodge and or double attack."

And or needs a slash: "and/or"

Done.

--

12. The Bern Dragon Riders in CH18 show "Sacae" while the Sacae forces in Ch 20x show "Bern"

--

13. The period is cut off on the Silver Lance's description.

This may have also been a character limit issues. Has been changed to: "A strong and expensive spear."

--

14. Staff range is displayed incorrectly, it shows 1-Mag, but the formula is 1-Mag/2+5.

--

15. The third page of the Unit Display list has "Plays" where it shoud say "Traveler", while "Stat", (short for status) the column next to it, has "Person whom can support with this character", not something like "Unit's Status condition; Normal is the default"

--

16. The Brave axe's Description says "An axe that hits twice", all other brave weapons just say "2x Attack"

Brave weapons now read as: "Will strike twice consecutively."

--

17. Fa's description is the same as the other Mamkute's: "Humans not Human who have a sinister atmosphere about them". The description makes sense for Enemy Mamkutes, but really doesn't make sense for Fa; there's nothing sinister about her.

--

18. Also, an interesting note: The Delphi Shield descriptions says "Deflects arrow bonus"; but it also negates Aircalibur's bonus, which is REALLY AWESOME. Something like "Deflects arrow and Aircalibur bonus" would be better, I noticed the Aircalibur thing completely by chance.

--

* The Horseslayer/Halberd aren't effective against Valkyries or Nomads/Nomadic troopers, but changing this might get into game altering, I just thought I'd mention it.

--

** Would it be possible to have all characters get their "full ending" regardless of whether they participated in the final chapter or not? The 1 sentence endings for most of the people are really dull. "Lived a normal life." Ugh.

--

*** I'm not sure if there in the Japanese or not, but can you add an extra description sentence to Alan/Lance and Lot/Ward? They have different personalites, but have the exact same description: "A knight serving Pherae" and "A young man fighting alongside Dieck", respectively. Making it something like Kent and Sain's descriptions are a good example of what I'm thinking of.

--

**** I'm not sure if this is fixable, or even should be fixed, but some of the weapon criticals, such as the Pegasus Knight's and Paladin's ranged criticals don't actually critical, they just attack as normal, but with the critical hit sound.

--

***** This is an odd request, but would adding a support library like in FE7 and 8 be doable/feasible? If it's too much work that's ok, but I like being able to look at supports any time I want, and it helps to remember who can support with who.

OTHER THINGS

1. Text of ID 0x04FC is blank. Can't tell who this is.

@ Rapier description:

In FE8, Reginleif's 1-line description is "Strong against cavalry, knights."

Although, for some bizarre reason, Eirika's Rapier still uses the more ambiguous "Effective against infantry" description.

@ Delphi Shield

I think it would be best to stick to a shorten version of the FE7 Delphi Shield: "Protect fliers from arrows."

The Aircalibur thing is true and helpful to players, but one could make the argument that it alters gameplay by providing information that wasn't there before.

@ Rapier description:

In FE8, Reginleif's 1-line description is "Strong against cavalry, knights."

Although, for some bizarre reason, Eirika's Rapier still uses the more ambiguous "Effective against infantry" description.

@ Delphi Shield

I think it would be best to stick to a shorten version of the FE7 Delphi Shield: "Protect fliers from arrows."

The Aircalibur thing is true and helpful to players, but one could make the argument that it alters gameplay by providing information that wasn't there before.

I'll stick with the FE7/Eirika description. It looks like a slightly more complete thought than adding knights at the end. XD I like your suggestion for the Delphi shield. It's true that it might be considered giving the player a hint, which I didn't think about. It also might be problematic to write out in one single line of text. >o<

Does the original description mention protection against all flying-effective damage, or just arrows? I'd assume the wind-effect being mitigated is more of an unintended side effect, as the shield protects against the effect, rather than bows. As the tome and arrows reference the same effectivity, they're probably just lumped together, creating a (possibly) unintended effect.

I'll stick with the FE7/Eirika description. It looks like a slightly more complete thought than adding knights at the end.

it's definitely not complete because cavalry and infantry are two completely different things

If that's the text referenced by 0x0F774C, it's supposed to be blank.

Thanks! I wasn't able to load that part of the game and check. >o<

it's definitely not complete because cavalry and infantry are two completely different things

Well, if you can find a way to allow for two lines of text for weapon descriptions, I'll change it. Otherwise, I see nothing wrong with falling back on the already translated FE7 version.

For #3, Knight Killer is a valid name, since that's what FE9 used. Plus if you call it Horseslayer, it implies it's effective versus Nomads and etc.

(For reference, I believe the Japanese versions alternate between Knight Killer and Horse Killer throughout the recent games and I'm pretty sure FE6 has the Knight Killer, while FE7 has the Horse Killer. I'm lazy to check what FE9 used : P)

Edited by VincentASM

Well, if you can find a way to allow for two lines of text for weapon descriptions, I'll change it. Otherwise, I see nothing wrong with falling back on the already translated FE7 version.

Just curious, does the Reginleif's "Strong against cavalry, knights." fit in FE6?

Heh. Since I came to FE7 from an Advance Wars perspective I was definitely confused by the Mani Katti's "infantry" description. It seemed like it was supposed to be good against the foot units.

Change "End" to "Wait".Y'know how the description of Sacred weapons in FE8 have "Str+5" and the like? How about appending similar things to the Divine weapons here? Like Durandal: "The Blazing Sword. Str+5"

Plus if you call it Horseslayer, it implies it's effective versus Nomads and etc.

I'm sure if FE6 had an official English release, they would've fixed that so it does slay nomad's horses. They did it with Mage Knights in FE8.

And I think there was a couple of localized changes from official english copy of FE7 that still looks different FE6 patch.

*When I did played Chapter 4 on FE6, it had Erik's name as Eric.

*Murdock's name has the H instead of K at the end in the patch.

*Fa's official localized name was Fae.

*Sofyia's official localized name was Sophia.

*Mamkutes official localized name was Manakete.

That might be need to change it to the FE6 patch as well.

Edited by King Marth 64

And I think there was a couple of localized changes from official english copy of FE7 that still looks different FE6 patch.

*When I did played Chapter 4 on FE6, it had Erik's name as Eric.

*Murdock's name has the H instead of K at the end in the patch.

*Fa's official localized name was Fae.

*Sofyia's official localized name was Sophia.

*Mamkutes official localized name was Manakete.

That might be need to change it to the FE6 patch as well.

I think it is Sophia in FE6's patch. Everything else I agree with, though.

I'm pretty sure Popo said she wasn't going to do much if anything with the names to avoid unnecessary wank.

I'm pretty sure Popo said she wasn't going to do much if anything with the names to avoid unnecessary wank.

Well, I think correct/consistent spelling is worth looking at. And Raven and I discussed changing one or two really godawful names, but we'll deal with that later. >o<

Well, I think correct/consistent spelling is worth looking at. And Raven and I discussed changing one or two really godawful names, but we'll deal with that later. >o<

If you're going to be looking at any names, will you consider changing "Niime" to "Nimue" and "Yuno" to "Juno?"

If you're going to be looking at any names, will you consider changing "Niime" to "Nimue" and "Yuno" to "Juno?"

This falls under more of the "unnecessary" area than the consistent, official translations.

NoA called her Niime in FE7, so I think that one's out of the question. :Knoll:

Edited by Charlie

NoA called her Niime in FE7, so I think that one's out of the question. :Knoll:

Alright, I guess Niime stays. I didn't know that was the official name, and since it is, that takes precedence. However, I'm still in favor of changing "Yuno" to "Juno." I'm fairly certain there's no official name for that one, and it's pretty clearly meant to be that in the first place.

Incidentally, Popo, what names were you originally planning on changing, and to what?

Edited by Gaggle of Geese

Niime is mentioned in the Canas-Pent B support conservation:

Edit: Nevermind. You found it.

Edited by Gryz