(Pokemon) Fire Red/Leaf Green Draft

Ike-Mike

Since the lists were drying up on the last round and I didn't want to delay it even further I spread the last batch of Pokémon around to account for a balanced typing spread and version exclusives.

If by that you mean you picked Pokémon for people when the result would have been different if you let a list draft run its course, then I think that's totally stupid and missing the point...

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pre Team Analysis:

Bulbasuar

Pretty much is going to solo the first part of the game until I can pick up Diglett/Dugtrio which is just in time for LT Surge. Will be pretty boss with the powders and Razor Leaf.

Diglett

Come Nice and Early. A great first pick in my honest opinion. Gets EQ naturally and I think also picks up the excellent Rock Slide via tutor. Great physical sweeper that will laugh all the way to endgame. Hopefully get one without a spd/atk reducing nature.

Horsea

An interesting pick, but I want a good water tyrpe and all the other really good sweepng waters were gone. I would of gone Tenetcuel/Cruel, but I want to mix things up a bit. Comes fairly late, so it will have to be babied a little bit.

Hitmonlee

Great Pokemon, and will probably be the third I pick up. Comes at a great level even and will due great due to bein a fighting type.

Aerodactyl

My last to get pokemon. Will pretty much be used to fly, due to the fact that it will come so late. That and the fact that I have to go to Pewter and back to get him. Thankfully HM slaves are allowed.

Magmar

I honestly needed a good fire type. May even come after Aerodactyl, due to being relocated to Mount Ember. Not a big deal though.

Koffing

My last pick. Honestly, I'm suprised he lasted so long. His only weakness is Sabrina really, and thanks to his great physical bulk and resists, he'll be handy to have around.

Onward for Great Justice!

I pick a boy, call myself Biscuit and name my rival Red for no reason. Grab the potion, lolstomp Red with my new Bulbasuar named Pimpsaur. I also do the freaking errand for Oak and nab some balls. I ignore the optional Red encounter, because it's out of the way and completely destroy the Forest. Bulbasaur hits 10 and Learns Vine Whip. Brock is already in his Grave. I kill the rest of the trainers for easy EXP.

Pewter Gym: Vine Whip Rapes. Moving on.

I pick up Sleep powder my next battle and Bulbasuar evolves the second battle. Misty is now boned. That is all for now.

Since the lists were drying up on the last round and I didn't want to delay it even further I spread the last batch of Pokémon around to account for a balanced typing spread and version exclusives.

:facepalm:

I'm assuming you don't like to grind.

Correct term would be HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE

That just might be why My only underleveled dudes are hitmonchan who is salvageable and omanyte who i got because i didnt want rock or water types to begin with :P

Gonna try out a new format

Viridian Forest, post-Pikachu

Easy shit. Got Lumi to level 8, then Red Fox proceeded to OHKO everything until she got to level 13. Healed up at the pokemon center, beat up Mr. Light-years, then Brock.

Oh shit.

Charmander wiped Geodude easily, but then Onix. I healed up Lumi, then swapped to it, letting Onix take the bait

It Rock Tombed, and got itself paralyzed. I healed up with a Potion before lowering Onix to -3 Atk and -1 Defense, then Lumi fainted. Red Fox came back in and Metal Clawed the bastard to death while at laughed at Rock Tomb doing 6 damage.

BOULDERBADGE GET

Nick    Lvl HP Atk Def SpA SpD Spe
Charmander Red Fox 15  40 23  20  23  22  25
Pikachu    Lumi    8   24 12  11  13  12  20

Red Fox: Ember, Metal Claw, Scratch, Growl
Lumi: Thundershock, Thunder Wave, Tail Whip, Growl

Thoughts

Red Fox: One level from evolution, which is always awesome. Turned Viridian into a joke, and was able to handle Brock too. Loving it.

Lumi: Few more levels to Quick Attack, and having constant Para support is always great. TWave is definitely staying.

Route 3

I restock, and go to Route 3 to claim my goddamn Running Shoes. RF takes the first chance of evolving she gets, Lumi takes on everything else, I reach Mount Moon a very happy person.

Charmeleon Red Fox 16  48 28  26  31  28  31
Pikachu    Lumi    12  31 17  14  18  16  28

Red Fox: Ember, Metal Claw, Scratch, Growl
Lumi: Thundershock, Quick Attack, Thunder Wave, Growl

Edited by JBCWK

Lol, my solo strat is making this go like a breeze. That and I'mm skipping most trainers as I'm saving their exp for later.

So yeah, went down to vermillion and my Ivysaur picked up a few levels from the measly trainers along the way. I was going to grind it out on the SS Anne, but I got bored and went stright to teh rival battle. Haze was very surprised to see a level 32 Venusaur sleep powder thorugh his team. That's right, a venusaur. Skipped surge and went straight to Rock Tunnel, which I also breezed through, though almost ran out of PP on razor leaf, the only disadvantage to solos.

But yeah, got through rocket game corner and the pokemon tower, collecting the poke flute, which I use immediately to capture a Snorlax to Hm slave and unlock access to the super rod and doduo. Evolved Starmie as soon as I caught Staryu, and ended it there, about to grind on a few old trainers to help my Staryu/Doduo catch up, including the two gyms I've skipped.

Level 42 Venusaur (Mild)
Razor Leaf/Tackle/Leech Seed/Sleep Powder

Level 24 Doduo (Gentle)
Fly/Pursuit/Fury Attack/Tri Attack

Level 24 Starmie (Serious)
Water Gun/Rapid Spin/Recover/Psychic

Edit: Do you guys want me to list stats too?

Edited by Kevin

Wait did you just pick like the last 3 or so mons for people's teams? I would like you to give your reasoning for it, even if its nothing more than "I'm a lazy bum, fuck off." The reasoning you have given thus far can be construed as sufficient if you interpret it as "I'm doing a bad job of this anyways, so I may as well get it over with quickly."

Edited by General Spoon

As long as Ike-Mike isn't addressing my concerns and apologizing for being a terrible draft host I'm not playing jack squat =/

Wait did you just pick like the last 3 or so mons for people's teams? I would like you to give your reasoning for it, even if its nothing more than "I'm a lazy bum, fuck off." The reasoning you have given thus far can be construed as sufficient if you interpret it as "I'm doing a bad job of this anyways, so I may as well get it over with quickly."

Only my last pokemon, Pinser, wasn't on my list. I don't know about Mekkah though.

They're on my list, but I'm having doubts whether Ike-Mike assigned them the way they should have been in a draft considering what he said.

So when we left, my Doduo and Starmie were at a mere level 24 each. Well, I went back to all my previous trainers and fixed that. This means going back to route 7, route 8, route 11, and the pokemon tower to clear up all the triners I skipped because I was solo'ing with Venusaur. I then proceed to crush Erika with my newly evolved Dodrio, with fly, and Starmie, with psychic, and head down the cycling route, giving Dodrio some levels along the way, saving Starmia for Koga.

Once at Fuschia, I rush through the safari zone, ignoring Pinsir for the time being. Got Strength and Surf, and thought Starmie surf and Snorlax strength. Then I decide its time to face Koga, and am annoyed by how many psycic types greet me instead of poison types (totally forgot about that, lol). No matter, STAB surf is more than enough to cut down drozees and Hypnos. Koga himself obviously falls to STAB psychic, and was less of a challenge than his underlings simply because of that.

Now, I had a really difficult task: finding, and catching, Pinsir in the safari zone. 4% encounter rate makes this the biggest challenge of the game for me, not helped by the fact that I have very little idea of how to catch pokemon well in the safari. Hence, after I first encountered a Pinsir, I threw bait at him and he fled. After another 150 steps or so, and accidentally wasting a few safari balls on random wild pokemon (albeit netting a a parasect in the process), I finally encountered Pinsir and got him to stay by throwing a rock at him. I then catch him, luckily, first-time with a safari ball. Nice Hardy Nature too, though Adamant/Jolly would have been prefered.

Now all I had to do was play catch up with Pinsir, and I had routes 12, 13 and 14 to do so. Lt. Surge's gym helped, and he was easy once I gave Pinsir Dig. My biggest problems with the bikers, who resisted Brick Break/Revenge and their koffings levitated past dig so all I was left with was strength. Thankfully, strength has good PP and I got through relatively OK. Even the bird trainers didn't give me trouble, as they just fell by the wayside thanks to brick break/strength. Before I knew it, Pinsir had caught up to Dodrio/Starmie.

I'm now preparing to go catch Zapdos and crush rocket at silph co, though I'm undecided whether or not I should fight all their trainers for exp, or to simply rush it.

[spoiler=stats]

Level 42 Venusaur (Mild):
Razor Leaf/Tackle/Leech Seed/Sleep Powder
HP: 131
Atk: 83
Def: 77
SpA: 112
SpD: 94
Speed: 89

Level 37 Starmie (Serious):
Surf/Thunderbolt/Confuse Ray/Psychic
HP: 102
Atk: 65
Def: 77
SpA: 90
SpD: 79
Speed: 96

Level 38 Dodrio (Gentle):
Fly/Pursuit/Fury Attack/Tri Attack
HP: 103
Atk: 96
Def: 54
SpA: 62
SpD: 59
Speed: 95

Level 38 Pinsir (Hardy):
Guillotine/Strength/Brick Break/Dig
HP: 107
Atk: 111
Def: 91
SpA: 54
SpD: 61
Speed: 82

Thinking of giving Dodrio Secret Power to replace Fury Attack, and hoping to find the funds to Give Starmie Ice Beam as well as Thunderbolt.

Edit: OMFG caught Zapdos in one. B)

Edited by Kevin

Sorry for double post, but Update:

So, like I said in my previous update, I caught Zapdos in one, after it was put to sleep by Venusaur and weaked by Starmie. After that I immediately went to silph, and got my pokemon enough levels to match Venusaur, shame it took so long, why on earth enemy pokemon are still just level 28 is beyond me. Then Haze shows up with a much stronger team and is a refreshing 'challenge' (I say it like that because Starmie solo'ed him). Went on to fight Giovanni, which also wasn't difficult at all.

I then completely forgot that Sabrina existed and went straight to fight Blaine. Even without the exp he was crazy easy thanks to lolStarmie (so worth it in the long run, not disappointed at all I didn't choose Nidoran F instead). Delayed going with Bill to get Ice Beam for Starmie, completing its type coverage abilities, and went to One Island, where I brought Parasect along with me to use Rock Smash... except you need Sabrina's badge to use it >_>. Nonetheless, I pushed on through the easy sets of trainers and arrived at Moltres. First attempt I OHKO it unknowingly by Zapdos's Thunder. Reset. I put Starmie to the front of my party and weakened it with surf, which almost knocked it out as well. I then switch in Zapdos to paralyze Moltres, and start spamming Ultra balls. I eventually catch it, but not before Moltres KO'ed Dodrio, Zapdos and Starmie.

Do the whole Loretta thing. Not much to say but lol at the Hypno's level. Most wild pokemon are level ~36 on these islands and a level 30 Hypno is supposed to be a boss poke? Stupid programmers. In any case, return home, use Venusaur to defeat Giovanni, who for some reason delays bringing out Nidoking/Nidoqueen, the only two to be able to actually survive sunny day + solarbeam, in favour of letting the rest of his team die. Love the AI in this game >_>.

Starmie, once again, destroyed Haze, and I proceeded to go through Indigo Plateau, only to realise I forgot Moltres. Whoops. So once I finally made it into victory road, I pretty much decided to get my team those last few levels and fight all the trainers, despite the fact they all love using 5 pokemon. Taught Dodrio Double-Edge for STAB pwnage, stocked up on revives/full restores and am now about to start my Elite Four campaign.

[spoiler=stats]

Level 49 Venusaur (Mild)
Frenzy Plant/Sunny Day/Solarbeam/Giga Drain
HP: 152
Atk: 97
Def: 91
SpA: 130
SpD: 109
Speed: 106

Level 49 Starmie (Serious)
Surf/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Psychic
HP: 134
Atk: 90
Def: 103
SpA: 124
SpD: 103
Speed: 129

Level 50 Dodrio (Gentle)
Fly/Drill Peck/Double Edge/Tri Attack
HP: 135
Atk: 131
Def: 72
SpA: 84
SpD: 81
Speed: 127 

Level 50 Pinsir (Hardy)
Swords Dance/Strength/Brick Break/Earthquake
HP: 140
Atk: 151
Def: 120
SpA: 72
SpD: 83
Speed: 113 

Level 50 Zapdos (Rash)
Thunder Wave/Thunder/Rain Dance/Drill Peck
HP: 151 
Atk: 101
Def: 103
SpA: 146
SpD: 96
Speed: 114 

Level 50 Moltres (Timid)
Fire Blast/Steel Wing/Aerial Ace/Flamethrower
HP: 158
Atk: 100
Def: 109
SpA: 142
SpD: 101
Speed: 116

Edit: So I don't have to triple post:

Just finished up. Starmie did pretty much everything lol. Such a great movepool and pokemon in general. Here's final team:

[spoiler=stats]

Level 50 Venusaur (Mild)
Frenzy Plant/Sunny Day/Solarbeam/Giga Drain
HP: 156
Def: 93
SpA: 133
SpD: 112
Speed: 108

Level 52 Starmie (Serious)
Surf/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Psychic
HP: 142
Atk: 97
Def: 110
SpA: 131
SpD: 110
Speed: 138

Level 51 Dodrio (Gentle)
Fly/Drill Peck/Double Edge/Tri Attack
HP: 138
Atk: 134
Def: 73
SpA: 87
SpD: 82
Speed: 129

Level 50 Pinsir (Hardy)
Swords Dance/Strength/Brick Break/Earthquake
HP: 140
Atk: 151
Def: 120
SpA: 72
SpD: 83
Speed: 113 

Level 51 Zapdos (Rash)
Thudner Wave/Thunder/Rain Dance/Drill Peck
HP: 153 
Atk: 102
Def: 105
SpA: 149
SpD: 98

Level 50 Moltres (Timid)
Fire Blast/Steel Wing/Aerial Ace/Flamethrower
HP: 158
Def: 109
SpA: 142
SpD: 101

I'd like to post Post-Game thoughts in another post, so I'll wait ;)

Edited by Kevin

I choose a Charmander as my starter, and then at the nickname screen, I realise it's female! I wasn't sure what to call it at first, but I just put down Red Fox and screw the consequences.

Oh. Too bad it's not Vulpix. But Charmander is also cool. I only happened to find this because I was randomly scanning the last page and caught my name somewhere.

And with that, time for my post game thoughts:

Venusaur

Considering he was the only pokemon I had until Doduo/Staryu, he obviously came into good use. Sleep Powder/Leech Seed made everything a lot easier, and I'm not 100% sure I could've done it with the other two (though I hear squirtle is used more for speedruns, so maybe I could've). Kinda faded near the end though, as his Spd wasn't very good and his type coverage even worse.

Staryu

What can I say other than what a beast. Totally worth waiting until Erika for, Stayu just destroyed everything thanks to its monstrous type coverage as well as its useful resistances. Solo'ed Koga, Blaine and the elite four and could've easily taken down Giovanni by himself too.

Zapdos

Didn't do a whole lot, as I was levelling up the others. Still, he was a great fall-back option and I probably should have made more use out of him. He had potential against Lorelei/Gary though, just Starmie was too good.

Doduo

Another great pokemon. Good attack, Good Speed - what else do you need? Attacking powerhouse, especially since it gets STAB tri attack so early. Shame its movepool coverage was quite limited, although the Bane of Erika and Gary's Exeggutor. Did it's job fine.

Jigglypuff

Ditched. Enough said.

Moltres

Again, just like Zapdos, didn't do a whole lot aside from being a back-up monster. Killed lorelei's Jynx and... not much else >_>

Pinsir

I wasn't actually expecting a lot from this guy, but his crazy attack, combined with some nice type-coverage with earthquake/brickbreak, meant he could hold himself quite well in a fight. If he just came earlier and is easier to catch, I'd put him in quite a high spot on the tier list.

Maybe I'll do a run of the E4 without Starmie, as really, he just made it easy mode.

Edit: my total playtime was 15:00.

Edited by Kevin

Beats da ship, Gave Kneesocks Brick Break.

As I battle GeekBoy I have lv 26 Kneesocks and the other 2 ar lv 27. Kneesock overspeeds and OHKOs Kadabra... I accidentally used BB to Ivysaur and that thing almost won Kneesocks with Leech Seed and Sleep Powder.

I caught couple of random pokes to get flash (I was going to be epic so I use repel in Diglet Cave just to own Dugtrios with Kneesocks, Interestingly I met grand total of 0 pkmn in the cave. I suppose repel just blocks battles if enemy is lower lv than your poke.)

Went to solo the gym with Kneesocks. Gym trainers were surpricingly tough because I didnt bother to heal paralyze I got from first Pikachu, I heal it before Surge and lv. 28 Kneesocks outspeeds Voltorb, gets Static from Pikachu, Gets trollet by Douple team + Paralyze when against Raichu, trolls it with poison point and lucky hits... I think this dude is trivial if you have any ground type ever made...

I get the bike and Buy 30 repels just in case :awesome:

Rushed trough the cave with repels. Chucks offence fails if he has no super effectives, Kneesocks and Corset just rape faces. Slowpokes annoy me by not getting ohkoed by bite(until Corset hit lv 30). Thanks to my idioty Kneesocks gets hit by magnitude 7 from Graveler while underground just to laugh at it... Kneesock had to give up Bite for Rock Slide. Let Corset learn Protect over Tail Whip.

Went for GeekBoy match with lv 31 Corset and Kneesocks. Chuck is lv 32

Token Kneesocks solo... (I still outspeed Kadabra) Gyarados and Growlithe dropping my attack made this bit more interesting, Trash doing 19 damage had opposite effect...

Kneesocks leveled and hit the magical line of 100 hp :B):

On my way to Next city I first get Corset to lv. 32 and then start soloing with Chuck so it hits lv. 35 and Moonlight before its lack of offence pisses me of too much... I got it to lv 34 before Secret Power run out of uses and I changed to Corset. Owned the poster rocket to finish to lv and gave up Acid for Moonlight because Secret power just is better than stab Acid. Got the stone and evolved Chuck (magical line of 100 hp got). Also bought Secret Power for Corset because I have desided Mega Punch sucks hit rate wise. Got the TEA and went for Hitmonchan...

In Saffron I get Psyhic even if only duden that can use it is Snorlax(might give it to Snorly now that I think of it) Anyway I beat the Dojo ( place dont even have own theme, LAAAAAAAAAME. The enemies are first ones in this run to give any challenge thanks to Seismic Toss and lvs in early 30's. Even Kneesocks has little issues with Machoke and that Lv 36 Primeape with Focus Energy and Cross Chop is scary while lv 31 variants arent posers either. Karate Master himself is mere joke...) and get my Hitmon(Fastener Hasty) and buy Brick Break and Secret Power to have bit better offence Also gave it Rock Tomb and Counter. I go get Fly before I forget.

I go to the hideout With: Fastener lv 25, Kneesocks lv 33 Corset Lv 34 and Chuck Lv 35.

Fastener solo's the place, reaches lv 30 by time I get to the boss and solos him without even trying. Thanks to boss he made it to lv 31.

Fastener proceeds to solo the gym, learn's Sky uppercut over brick break, and reaches lv 34 by Erika. It keeps on the job untill Vileplume is Erika's last one with 2/3 of hp left and I switch to Chuck and beat the thing. Kneesocks gets lv and reaches lv 34

I then go to beat the tower with Kneesocks and Corset (even if its mostly Corset solo)

Kneesocks gets lv and reaches lv 34

The tower annoys me even without Randoms so use few repels. Against first the Rocket Corset tried to evolve and I stopped it...

Went to get my Snorlax (Garterbelt Careful Magical line of 100 hp got) and sloped down Cycling road training it after shove some candies down its throat. Gave it Secret Power just because even if it learned Body Slam in few lvs and soon after that hitting magical line of 100 SP.D. Being 6HKOed by seismic toss is also handy.

I got halfway trough when I desided to take a brake.

Garterbelt Lv 35 Body Slam, Yawn, Rest, Snore

Fastener Lv 35 Sky Uppercut, Secret Power, Rock Tomb, Counter

Corset Lv 36 Water Pulse, Bite. Secret Power, Protect

Chuck Lv 35 Bullet Seed, Sleep Powder, Secret Power, Moonlight

Kneesocks Lv Rock Slide, Body Slam, Dig, Brick Break

Edited by Sho.M.the.Money

Mount Moon

URGH. I get Bullet Seed and beat all the trainers on the first floor quickly with Lumi, then go down for Paras. I find one at level 10, and it's female AS WELL so I catch it and name it Amelia. Immediately teach it Bullet Seed for random STAB and an actual grass attack, and it and Lumi get past the TR Grunts. At the move tutors I teach Charmander Mega Punch and Pika Mega Kick, and save at the Cerulean Pokemon Centre.

Charmeleon Red Fox 18  53 31  29  34  31  35
Pikachu    Lumi    17  40 22  18  23  20  39
Paras      Amelia  13  32 27  21  20  19  12

Red Fox: Ember, Mega Punch, Metal Claw, Growl
Lumi: Thundershock, Mega Kick, Thunder Wave, Double Team
Amelia: Scratch, PoisonPowder, Bullet Seed, Stun Spore

Edited by JBCWK

I guess I should update since I beat Brock this afternoon. Before I started the big battle my team's levels were thus: Charmander Lv.11, Spearow Lv. 11, Mankey Lv.9. Amazingly this wasn't too hard of a battle. I started with Mankey who used low kick off three times to eliminate him after taking two tackles in a row. I switched to Spearow and used a potion on Mankey (now level 10), and leered Onix twice before getting KOed. I switched back to Mankey that 1HKOed Onix with a low kick. In the end Mankey is just now reaching Lv.10, just used Rock Tomb to replace leer, and ready to start the trek to Mount Moon.

Nugget Bridge + VINCENT

Lumi soloes Vincent with only a Potion, then I beat up Nugget Bridge. Simple enough, I get the Nugget, beat up the random Camper and get Attract before heading back down.

Cerulean gym

Lumi shits on the 2 trainers, then Misty. I TWave Staryu, then get to +6 evasiveness. I think I'm gonna win, until Starmie lets off Swift.

Fucker.

I force Misty to use her Super Potion, then Lumi gets fainted with Starmie at 1/3 health. Amelia comes in, takes the Water Pulse like a real man and KOs Starmie with Bullet Seed, nearly getting 2 whole levels.

Thoughts

Red Fox: Haven't been using her that much in favour of training for this gym, but she's still a great Plan B and continues to OHKO/2HKO everything in sight.

Lumi: TWave is great for annoying crap, Double Team can be kept for tough gym battles, and TBolt is coming~

Amelia: Not bad, not bad. Attack is growing well.

Route 25

Might as well come back here to wreck these bastards.

Amelia/RF rape the entire area, Amelia replaces Stun Spore with Leech Life and RF replaces Growl with Smokescreen.

Charmeleon Red Fox 20  58 35  32  37  35  38
Pikachu    Lumi    20  45 25  20  27  23  45
Paras      Amelia  19  42 37  28  28  26  16

Red Fox: Mega Punch, Ember, Metal Claw, Smokescreen
Lumi: Thundershock, Mega Kick, Thunder Wave, Double Team
Amelia: Leech Life, Bullet Seed, Poisonpowder, Scratch

This is pretty fun.

Edited by JBCWK

Route 6

BORING. Rotated around to destroy all the trainers here.

Vermillion City

MY BICYCLE VOUCHER HELL YES

S.S. Anne

Whew, this was good. Commence a heckload of training for everyone, beat up Vincent.

Vermillion City gym

Did the lazy way out and opened the locks with savestates. Lumi and RF took down most of Surge's stuff, then Amelia KO'd Raichu.

PIKACHU LEARNT TBOLT HELL YES

Charmeleon Red Fox 25  70 42  39  46  42  47
Pikachu    Lumi    26  56 32  26  33  28  59
Paras      Amelia  22  47 43  32  33  30  18

Red Fox: Mega Punch, Ember, Metal Claw, Smokescreen
Lumi: Thunderbolt, Mega Kick, Thunder Wave, Double Team
Amelia: Leech Life, Bullet Seed, Poisonpowder, Cut

Thoughts

Red Fox: Metal Claw + Mega Punch is always fun to use, Ember is still great. Can get KO'd by high level pokemon but still awesome.

Lumi: YES YES THUNDERBOLT FUCK YES

Amelia: That Attack honestly doesn't seem so high >_> and while it's retardedly slow, it... isn't bad.

At least some train their lame early game pokes instead of Starter solo...

You don't understand how bad jugglypuff is though. Her fail is beyond comprehension.