Rate the Unit, Day 19: Matthis

Peppy

Dat Rules

- Ratings are assumed to be on Hard 2 Mode.

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra regarding personality/appearance is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly. Also, if your vote is already a 10/10 or greater than 9 and you give a full point of bias, The score may not exceed 10!

- Numerical votes out of 10, or something proportional to it. Make it easy to calculate for my sake.

- Each ranking phase ends from 2100 to 2200 EST. 13th May start the topic again but i am not sure. Do the math if you are in another timezone!

- I will insist you do not use the "Not X" reason on any character, where X is another unit. If you do, your vote will be thrown out.

- "Recruits X" or "takes you to X chapter" arguments are explicitly banned. C'mon, people, this shouldn't need to be a rule. That's not gameplay performance.

- Assume that the character in question is being recruited.

- Similar to the "Recruits X" rule, do not use "He Comes with a Free Ridersbane" as an argument.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

The King of Mediocrity. Has Bad Speed, Mediocre Stats Elsewhere and Good HP! He just won't turn out that great though... 1.5 with a -1 bias put into the factor since he lacks a personality and is quite a pain in the ass to recruit!

Averages:

Darros: 2.45

Gordin: 3.11

Bord: 4.37

Navarre: 4.66

Cord: 4.87

Castor: 5.54

Merric: 5.58

Wrys: 5.92

Marth: 6.33

Julian: 6.60

Jagen: 6.98

Draug: 7.12

Ogma: 7.56

Abel: 8.76

Cain: 8.90

Lena: 9.26

Barst: 9.40

Sheeda: 9.89

Edited by *Narshen*

Worst cavi in the game by far (okay Vyland's not that far behind but that's not the point) horrible base stats, crap growths, personality of a crow that attacks you after you gave it food, and recuriting him is a pain in the ass.

0/10 with -1 bias.

Growths outside of speed and skill are the only thing decent about this guy. (Although just saying that may be stretching it.) He's not the worst cavalier in the game, but he's not far from it either. And as far as personality goes, I'll just say this: Anyone who says he has more personality than just about anyone from other FEs clearly either wants attention, or doesn't know what they're talking about.

1/10

Edited by Little Al

It could be worse. Look at FE12's Matthis.

Base 1 luck with 30% growth? Or did I read someone else's stuff?

FE12's Matthis doesn't want to be recruited, he wants to die

Base 1 luck with 30% growth? Or did I read someone else's stuff?

FE12's Matthis doesn't want to be recruited, he wants to die

Enemies have better crit in this game than the average Fire Emblem. Either that or Ice Dragons in Lunatic stand out that badly...

5/10

Forged javelins, only one rank away from forged Ridersbanes, high move, decent durability.

I don't know. I guess in theory that rating could work, but...

- Consider that forge priorities are going elsewhere before Javelins. The first is definitely the Wing Spear, then possibly the Ridersbane. A bow and / or Hammer could also come next in line.

Even if we consider the forge, why on Matthis over the slew of other Cavaliers like Abel and maybe Cain, and what about Caeda and Jeigan who likely double with them?

- D Lances isn't terrible since it gives him at least Steel and Javelin, but we already went over one minor flaw with Javelins and Steel Lance weighs him down by 4 AS.

If we also consider Warpskip... This creates a minor problem - is he even reaching C Lances in a reasonable time frame without being detrimental. Considering it takes 23 swings... He probably won't even have it until we start possibly beginning the warpskip.

- I will pull the objection on his durability for sure. 0 Luck and 30% growth means he's facing crit all the time. That's... Not really spectacular in a game where enemy Hit isn't that terrible.

Edited by Colonel M

Enemies have better crit in this game than the average Fire Emblem. Either that or Ice Dragons in Lunatic stand out that badly...

Keyword: LUNATIC. IIRC, Ice Dragons in general have not-sucky Skill, so they have an existent crit chance.

I don't know. I guess in theory that rating could work, but...

- Consider that forge priorities are going elsewhere before Javelins. The first is definitely the Wing Spear, then possibly the Ridersbane. A bow and / or Hammer could also come next in line.

Even if we consider the forge, why on Matthis over the slew of other Cavaliers like Abel and maybe Cain, and what about Caeda and Jeigan who likely double with them?

- D Lances isn't terrible since it gives him at least Steel and Javelin, but we already went over one minor flaw with Javelins and Steel Lance weighs him down by 4 AS.

If we also consider Warpskip... This creates a minor problem - is he even reaching C Lances in a reasonable time frame without being detrimental. Considering it takes 23 swings... He probably won't even have it until we start possibly beginning the warpskip.

- I will pull the objection on his durability for sure. 0 Luck and 30% growth means he's facing crit all the time. That's... Not really spectacular in a game where enemy Hit isn't that terrible.

I figured a 5 was a decent rating because its right in the middle, pretty average. Matthis isn't a statistical powerhouse like some of the other characters, but I think the things I pointed out make him more useful than roughly half the cast. If we consider warpskip then yeah he probably gets a couple points taken off but so do a lot of other people.

And I said his durability was decent, not great. His luck is bad yeah, but there are lots of other people who also have terrible luck.

He could possibly be around a 4/10, but I'm going to stick with my 5/10 rating because I think what Matthis has to offer is still more useful than about half the cast of the game. I really think all these 0s and 1s are way more suspect than a 5. Like really? Matthis is worse than people like Raddy or Arran or the slew of other really awful and useless characters we get?

Also note that I'm coming from a no-reclass rating. I don't know if thats a rule or not. If people can reclass then yeah, Matthis is pretty useless.

He's probably best off as Myrmiadon and then Sniper or Dracoknight after promotion.

HIs already unimpressive str takes a hit uppon reclassing and his growth wasn't all THAT great either. At least he won't be stuck with 20% speed growth.

4/10

With billion bad units in this game the ballzy Matthis seems much more ok than he really is. At least Matthis can throw Javelins with 9 Mov. That alone is better than anything Darros will ever do. Roshe/Vyland rarely see use in their starting map because their bad position, so That gives Matthis 1,5 chapters availability lead to become 9 mov Ridersbane just a wee bit earlier. (Usage of said weapon is justified on Matthis by enemy cavaliers going in groups and trade existing) Let us not forget all those B set units like Roger who really are clearly worse than Matthis by the factor of 3-4 mov and at times needing to chip forever to become 1-2 range. All in all with the amount of crap units in this game, 1/10 is far too low for someone as average as Matthis

His rank might be justified if I actually gave two shits about whacking someone with a weapon 23 times to get to C Lances. With possibly Abel, Jeigan, and Hardin (don't forget Caeda) nearly set on C Lances and the low enemy density, I don't see why I need to crank effort into Matthis. Being able to use Ridersbane is nice, but chances are you will more than likely not need more than 3 people on that department for a while. Chapter 9 has a slew of Cavaliers, but most can be distracted with Sedgar as a General on a fort (Warp).

Also, to be fair on Roger, he has access to Fighter to ORKO Pirates in Chapter 9. I don't think Matthis is ever doing that, either. Not that it gives him a complete pass either, and Castor can help with DracoKnights in a rare instance and.still fights from 2 range with modest accuracy.

The main thing that slams a gavel against Matthis is he's mediocre to shit outside of Ridersbane, which takes effort to get him there, and to what end? If we Warpskip, he's likely not going to do what he was trained to do often, if at all. I might be able to justify upping his rank to a 2, maybe 2.5 tops, but beyond that you would have to argue never Warpskipping.

I think you're thinking of Chapter 8 or 10? Chapter 9 is the pirate one.

EDIT: Matthis would be waiting until Chapter 14 for his own Ridersbane, since I don't intend on breaking my first one right away.

Edited by eclipse

Okay, kind of glancing at this thread... I'm a little leery with some of the votes descriptions. I get that I sort of followed the trend but I did try to at least throw key points about it later on with other posts. Not to say that no one else did (frat, eclipse as examples), but I guess what I'm saying is this:

If your name is

- PKL

- Alpha

- Dark Sage

- BRShooter

- Gmls

I think your votes are a little... questionable (or really don't have much of a description). I get that Matthis is a joke, but come on - these should only be allowed with true scrubs like Est. So, I hate being the ass, but I'm going to ask for small descriptions else we throw out the votes. You don't have to break your back over it - just remember the rules of the thread.

Also, because frat did sort of convince me, I will change my vote to a 2.5/10. That might be a little high, but I'll kind of assume that in non-Warpskip play we could use him.

Edited by Colonel M