New 6 min video

Velth

The only possible saving grace is what Othin has already stated - if Donny has existent bases, then the huge promotion gains from any sort of first tier promotion would catapult him into usability. Growths wouldn't matter at all in that scenario.

Getting 5 levels as a villager is still going to be ridiculously hard, though, augmented EXP gain considered.

Edited by dondon151

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grabbing kills in early levels isn't typically hard, when you're fighting easy enemies but still need to kill them slowly because your characters can almost never double, offering many kills for someone to simply grab.

But yes, this is an example of the problem with the typical "growth unit" formula: if they're that bad, they won't be able to simply catch up through growths. They need something big to instantly leap up to or past their competition. Let's take a look at FE4's Master Knights, growth units done right. They start out pretty bad, but after being trained for a while, they promote, gaining Pursuit, a horse, huge promotion gains, and every damn weapon in the game. Not every growth unit needs something quite so extreme, but they do need some threshold where they get huge, instant results.

I think trainees are very poorly set up. Since they're growth units, you'd expect them to have better growths, but they actually have the some of the shittiest growths in SS and they don't even end up better than their non-trainee counterparts at max level.

The bigger reason is more that most of them (that is, the other 2) join WAY too late, on top of meh growths. Ross gets an excuse imo because he joins earlier where there's not that many kills to actually divide up, so he can actually take advantage of his fast leveling speed, and can promote to Pirate which is actually useful in a way with his personal weapon...Basically they gave Ross a lot to make up for his shitty start. Even then he's ok at best.

But yeah, my point being I don't think trainees are bad, just wrecklessly done. I like their fast levelin speed, which for the most part should be the main selling point of them. However, similar growth problem tends to be their killer. I mean, all that effort into Amelia to have another Forde, who is unimpressive himself? Bleh. Would comment on Ewan, but Ewan has no time.

But Donny might be better implemented, since the magazine said something about potential and with that tidbit Othin pointed out, it's likely that he'll have an easier time than the trainees and he gets to have his first class selection without using up a change crest, so there is some perk to him.

If he's got a fast levelin speed and Good Growth is available by then, he'll have like 1 point better averages the moment he promotes to a base class, and with what I imagine is still a good leveling speed on top of juicy base class promotion, I'd imagine Donny won't be too big a hassle. Then again, depends on the enemy.

If Ross really did have the Hatchet as a personal weapon, he might matter a bit more. He doesn't.

But yes, he's not such a horrible unit as the other two.

75 hit.

Iffy at the best of times. If the target has WTA or is standing on defensive terrain, don't bother.

edit: by comparison, hatchetbasegarcia has 90 hit. 12 atk < 15 atk, but the hatchet's advantages are clear.

Edited by Naglfar

75 hit.

Iffy at the best of times. If the target has WTA or is standing on defensive terrain, don't bother.

edit: by comparison, hatchetbasegarcia has 90 hit. 12 atk < 15 atk, but the hatchet's advantages are clear.

75 hit is fine that early on, you have better things to deal with the tiny few sword users that exist that early, and I'd honestly rather have the attack.

Regardless, perhaps this isn't the topic to discuss this sort of stuff anyways. Let us discuss Gyanreil and his swagness.

Donnie, like the trainees, is probably there to tout the whole "train outside of the main story" thing, where you're encouraged to use the Tower/Skirmishes to level up some units who join way underleveled.

In any kind of high speed playthrough, he's going to be useless, as I find it highly unlikely he will have good bases. His usability is going to be for people who just want to play the game and feel like taking the time to baby/skirmish him.

My only hope, then, is that his averages will actually be much better than most everyone else, so that at least those players who do want to play that way will be rewarded in the end.

The real question raised by Donny and his class, I'd say, is, will any other characters show up with the same or similar classes in less-perfect situations to use them?

Donnie, like the trainees, is probably there to tout the whole "train outside of the main story" thing, where you're encouraged to use the Tower/Skirmishes to level up some units who join way underleveled.

In any kind of high speed playthrough, he's going to be useless, as I find it highly unlikely he will have good bases. His usability is going to be for people who just want to play the game and feel like taking the time to baby/skirmish him.

My only hope, then, is that his averages will actually be much better than most everyone else, so that at least those players who do want to play that way will be rewarded in the end.

While he's going to be useless in a high speed playthrough. The way he is it seems he won't need babying(past Villager atleast) or skirmishes. If he does start at level 5 and does have a hightened EXP gain, and even average growths he'll become a level 1 unpromoted unit with 5 levels of growth and the base stats of the class he turns to added to whatever he started with.

Edited by arvilino

If the things we've assumed are correct, and Donny/Denis's growths are even passable, he'll be lower mid tier at worst. Mid at best, unless his potential is just that insane.

The real question raised by Donny and his class, I'd say, is, will any other characters show up with the same or similar classes in less-perfect situations to use them?

I would say it's disconcertingly likely that we discover someone who trumps Amelia.

If the things we've assumed are correct, and Donny/Denis's growths are even passable, he'll be lower mid tier at worst. Mid at best, unless his potential is just that insane.

I would say it's disconcertingly likely that we discover someone who trumps Amelia.

Well maybe if they have Amelia herself be a recruitable DLC level 1 villager.

While he's going to be useless in a high speed playthrough. The way he is it seems he won't need babying(past Villager atleast) or skirmishes. If he does start at level 5 and does have a hightened EXP gain, and even average growths he'll become a level 1 unpromoted unit with 5 levels of growth and the base stats of the class he turns to added to whatever he started with.

y'know, aside from most people probably not speed running a game on their first (or even second) playthorugh, I can see the dual system coming in handy here. With proper placement, and clever tactics, it may be easier to babysit units that need a little more careful planning, this time around at least.

With the free skirmishes, we can at least say he won't suffer the Radiant Dawn treatment of low-tier units. . .