How to Be Better in Fire Emblem 7

Espinosa

I still tend not to use or at least overuse Jeigan types much. But knowing their worth is important. They are such great utility units that its dumb not to use them especially in the beginning of the game(s). Plus if things are going south, when in doubt, Jeigan.

Creeper, i totally used that speedwing (pirate ship level) on Marcus and yes. Things happened. Awesome things. So i think i would recommend that to anyone wanting to use the Marcusnator long term.

I doubt this.

Checking some small segments his ENM playthrough I'd agree. In chapter 11 he takes longer than he probably could have levelling Eliwood and Rebbeca by having them solo the chapter and gave Rebbeca the Dracoshield. Considering it's Eliwoods mode he's going to reach 20 before he can even promote, I'd imagine it doesn't amount to much later since Eliwood is going to reach lv.20 chapters before he premotes anyway.

I skipped forward and watched the start of Chapter 19 and the only mounted unit he had fielded was Priscilla. Oswin was a General(thus using the only Knights Crest up the the point) and his first move was wasted on putting Oswin near but not in range of the Sniper near the Brave Bow Chest. Then I skipped to 23, he arena abused Canas from 12 to 20/7.

So yeah he doesn't speed through Mid-Late game.

The reason this kind of thread isn't really that amusing to me is because we were all new to this kind of game once, and every game (even FE5) is easy enough to the point where any remotely sensible decision will lead you to the ending screen. Recommending people train their lords, not use Marcus, carry multiple Iron weapons etc may not be strictly optimal, but it's far from the worst advice you can give someone. Especially if they have no idea what's coming to them for the next maps.

Maybe the advice should be not to overuse Marcus rather than not use him at all, for HHM anyway. For difficulties ENM, HNM, and EHM, Marcus is beyond OP'd and probably not optimal for casual/slowplay if players like raising units from scratch, and the game is cakewalk (I played EHM once and thought I was playing FE8) outside of HHM, but Marcusless HHM, while very much possible, is kind of a pain in the rear. Even using him just sparingly already helps a lot no matter how slow or fast you're going.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Maybe the advice should be not to overuse Marcus rather than not use him at all, for HHM anyway.

I've always felt that advice to be rather trivial. Obviously, one shouldn't use Marcus to kill everything in the earlygame, but the same could be said of virtually every unit in the game.

Well, to a new player, that may not be the case. Since Marcus comes with awesome stats and onerounds everything, some might actually use him to murderface everything that moves and end up ignoring the other units. New players who aren't familiar with the game could end up doing that.

Though, it's not like FE7 doesn't throw you enough good prepromotes to beat the game even in the unlikely event that someone does use Marcus most of the time and ignored everyone else. Hell, Marcus could probably straight up solo the entire game on the lower difficulties, except endgame which, well, Athos is forced so |D

When I started FE8, basically entire team was Seth---well okay that's terrible example because Seth can solo HM but you get the idea. It's more of those shitty guides that went "train all those growth units with shitty bases but good growths and you'll get nice stuff out of it" that had me in noobmode for a while, before I learned again.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

New players will often play impulsively rather than having a plan in mind. I remember when I started playing I did things like attacking a brigand with Lowen, only to charge Marcus at it to kill it.

lol my game was a marcus/hawkeye solo, i think i only used one promotion item and early-promoted lyn/hector/oswin. also hawkeye and athos died because the dragon was raping me, and marcus' endgame speed was pissing me off

I've always felt that advice to be rather trivial. Obviously, one shouldn't use Marcus to kill everything in the earlygame, but the same could be said of virtually every unit in the game.

It's probably given because it's far too easy to have Marcus siphon craploads of experience, even if you don't want him to. It's harder to do that with Lowen, Rebecca, Eliwood, etc.

From a perspective of somebody who's played FE for a long time, yeah, it's kind of silly to single out Marcus when the same concept applies to all units. But if you're talking to a new player, Marcus is the one unit they are likely to overuse; of course, players can take that advice too far and spread experience too thin among units too.

• 2 weeks later...

I use Marcus now the same way I used him when I first started the game. Weaponless meat shield.

Actually, once on the old NSider forums I heard everyone bad-mouthing prepromotes and I said "Well Imma do a prepromote solo of HHM to prove you bitches wrong" and it was really easy.