HG/SS Ingame Tier List

Don Draper

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gyarados should be a little lower for the sake of Totodile. Why have Gyarados when you'll more than likely will have a Feraligator.

Why have Feraligator when you're more likely to have a Typloshion? Both names spelled wrong, lol.

Slippery slope here.

Why have Typhlosion when you'll more likely have Arcanine/Ninetales? I can do this all day.

Why so low Poliwag. Why not a little higher.

Edited by Tails

I cannot make any assumptions regarding what starter the player will choose.

Poliwag is a Pokemon that has potential to rise, I'm just not sure how strong a start he has and it would have to be evaluated.

The soonest Poliwag comes in is Route 6, which is pretty early. Only issue I believe is starting with Bubble, which sucks.

Now, there is a way to get 3 mons earlier, namely Mareep, Wooper and Slugma. Guy at the Violet City Pokecenter gives you an egg based on a phrase you give him, and depending on what it is, he gives you an egg of one of these three. Mareep isn't that much further along, but it shows you can get it before Falkner, and Mareep would be good against his gym. I dunno about Wooper, but I do know that Slugma learns Rock Throw, so it can also help against Falkner. He's also the only fire type until Magmar (who left his Sp Atk on his evolved form) outside of Cyndaquil. All can be trained at Bellsprout Tower. So in the least, perhaps Mareep could be around Geodude's level. You also didn't put in Slugma.

If you're not gonna be on for a good amount of time, I could always control the tier list while you're away again.

Edited by grandjackal

I was just wondering, could it be possible to put Latias/Latios, Treecko/Torchic/Mudkip, Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza in Kanto tier? They are available in this game's second part. The first example(s) can be caught while getting the Kanto badges and the rest of them can be caught after Red's beaten. Or would that be redundant, especially for the latter last handful of examples?

I thought that Totodile had benefited quite nicely from the Physical/Special split of 4th gen. Can you explain to me why he's not considered the best starter? Did Cyndaquil receive a similar boost, because I have not used him (yet).

Edit: Sigurd Badge!

Edited by bobflac

And we get Mareep before Falkner regardless of the egg so why did we care about lv 1 mareep from an egg again?

Really now, where from? Cause if I remember correctly, the route to Mareep is blocked by some dude who wants you to beat Falkner really badly.

I should be good to keep track of it for the time being, but I'll let you know if things change.

I did forget Slugma, but I'm not too impressed with his stats. Awful attack limits Rock Throw's usefulness, and he relies on Ember for a Fire STAB until Lava Plume at Level 38. He's brutally slow too. You're planning on using one for your playthrough though, right? Let me know how that goes.

Gotcha, and of course. Will even be using Chikorita, so I actually do have a good use for a fire mon. Team is still under construction though, any suggestions?

EDIT: No, Cyndaquil as far as I know didn't get anything considering the split, while Totodile got Ice Fang and something else. Unless Cynda got a better set of TMs, not sure why Totodile isn't on top either outside of the alphabetical listing.

Edited by grandjackal

EDIT: Its in low right now? It probably should rise in that case. Assuming we don't waste time trying to catch it with an Old Rod (5% encounter rate), it'll be available by the time Surf comes in Ecruteak. It has a decent moveset and stats, so I'd be open to some arguments for it rising.

Well, since there's no trading for now, Poliwrath has some bulk not to mention nice Waterfall stab.

If trading is out, Machop shouldn't be so high on the list. Machoke's attack is kinda underwhelming unless it's able to evolve to Machamp.

Totodile is certainly better than Cyndaquil. Avalanche/Ice Fang and Crunch give it such a good coverage, and it's immensely useful in the last portion of the game. Typhlosion can burn Koga's bugs and Egg, and that's it? Good performance in the early gyms, though.

I'd also like to know what Venonat does that puts it so high on the list.

I thought that Totodile had benefited quite nicely from the Physical/Special split of 4th gen. Can you explain to me why he's not considered the best starter? Did Cyndaquil receive a similar boost, because I have not used him (yet).

Edit: Sigurd Badge!

Being able to buy a Fire Blast TM in Goldenrod makes a huge difference. Choice Specs later on helps too.

Also, it looks like Pokemon are sorted alphabetically within tiers currently, so Cyndaquil vs. Totodile is still up for debate.

Pokeathlon is the most certain way to get a Moon Stone, I think. You could either wait for Monday, or just play around with the clock.

And yeah, you're actually able to access the route with Mareep and Ekans BEFORE Falkner in HG/SS.

Really now, where from? Cause if I remember correctly, the route to Mareep is blocked by some dude who wants you to beat Falkner really badly.

Rt. 32 was blocked? I don't remember that happening. I even caught a Mareep without getting an egg before facing Faulkener at least once.

As for suggestions, try giving Nidoran a shot. It definitely hasn't been tested to the extent of FR/LG Nidos. Remember to have your mom save money, and to keep checking with the Pokemart assistant for that Moon Stone (or get one at the Ruins of Alpha)

I'mma be going to the Ruins of Alph anyways because I'm going for a Natu as well. So far, seems my team is gonna be Chikorita/Slugma/Nidoran/Natu. Pretty good coverage there, btu any other suggestions? Would prefer some mid to late catches, seeing as I'd like to keep my exp pace even. Catching too many too early is simply shooting yourself in hte foot.

In the original Gold/Silver, the guy with the Miracle Seed would not allow you to proceed until after you beat Faulkner. Game Freak hates it when we do badges out of order. Anyway, serebi says that there is now a patch of grass before that same fellow, meaning Mareep is viable for Faulkner. But I don't know. Mareep just does not seem to have the same "oomph" that it used to. I tried using it in my playthrough of SoulSilver, and it was not as good as I remembered.

Ampharos has gotten better since gen 2, I think. Signal Beam, Fire Punch via tutor, Focus Blast through the TM (which you can buy in Goldenrod), an actually worthwhile special STAB in Discharge... In G/S/C all it had was Thunder and Fire Punches.

Maybe I was just using Ampharos wrong then. Hmm. 115 Special Attack? I probably tried to use Thunder Punch like usual on it then. Still, 55 Speed hurts a bit. Yeah, I think Speed was my issue with it.

Stil, Signal Beam is not until level 42. But Discharge (level 34 by the way) and Focus Blast seem worthwhile.