Astelaine's Sprite Thread

Astelaine

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Phoenix: Haha, just wait til the day someone figures out how to insert portraits into FE9&10. :3 You know someone will do it! I bet you could do some really nice GBA splices/customs if you ever wanted to, though. You obviously have the art chops!

@Shion/Astra: I'm still learning the basics right now, but eventually I want custom events, the whole shebang. However, I'm not going to kid myself into thinking that is a fast or easy process. It's my ultimate goal, though.

@April: Thanks, Boney. :) That means a lot coming from someone whose work I like so much. (That dragon armor April, oh man...) I still have many improvements to make, but I'm glad you enjoy my stuff.

Aaand... updates! Here's a WIP that I've been obsessed with for the past week:

von_wip.png -> von_wip2.png -> von_wip3.png

Lolshoulderraeg on the middle one there. I finally just dropped in Linus' shoulders as a base. I had only drawn a reference for the face and hair, not the body or costume - this ultimately caused me a good deal of frustration. Note to self, don't ever proceed without a reference! Anyways, any ideas on how to fix up that god-awful shoulder strap? (Also, I know the colors are barftastic, I'll fix 'em later.)

Hehe thanks. My dragon armor was pretty vibrant, but you have that beautiful,

gentle feeling that I've been wondering if anyone could do. I've only pulled

that off in one mug which was the pegasus knight in page 5 of my gallery.

About that latest mug, It looks unfinished in places, as in some outlines

without shading or "smoothening" along them. Strap would probably look better

if you used the outline to detail it a bit, like adding wrinkles and shadows.

EDIT: Don't know how I missed your art thread, looks like that's where your

ability's coming from o.o

Edited by April

About that latest mug, It looks unfinished in places, as in some outlines

without shading or "smoothening" along them. Strap would probably look better

if you used the outline to detail it a bit, like adding wrinkles and shadows.

That's because, it is, in fact, unfinished. XD Still in WIP stage. I'm less concerned about shading at the moment and more about the shape/placement of things. I wanted some feedback before I proceeded, because heck knows there's always some annoying perspective/anatomical flaw that I just don't see. >_< I will definitely add some more detail to the strap though, that's a good idea. Thanks!

Also, that peg knight of yours is absolutely beautiful. I love love love your stuff!

@Phoenix: Haha, just wait til the day someone figures out how to insert portraits into FE9&10. :3 You know someone will do it! I bet you could do some really nice GBA splices/customs if you ever wanted to, though. You obviously have the art chops!

I patiently await this day :lol:

@ WIP

I would actually imagine the should strap(brown thing if that's what we're talking about here) being a bit thinner or something. The ones I'm used to seeing are usually only a bit wider than actual belts. That would leave less room for details though so I dunno.

@Shion/Astra: I'm still learning the basics right now, but eventually I want custom events, the whole shebang. However, I'm not going to kid myself into thinking that is a fast or easy process. It's my ultimate goal, though.

@April: Thanks, Boney. :) That means a lot coming from someone whose work I like so much. (That dragon armor April, oh man...) I still have many improvements to make, but I'm glad you enjoy my stuff.

Aaand... updates! Here's a WIP that I've been obsessed with for the past week:

von_wip.png -> von_wip2.png -> von_wip3.png

Lolshoulderraeg on the middle one there. I finally just dropped in Linus' shoulders as a base. I had only drawn a reference for the face and hair, not the body or costume - this ultimately caused me a good deal of frustration. Note to self, don't ever proceed without a reference! Anyways, any ideas on how to fix up that god-awful shoulder strap? (Also, I know the colors are barftastic, I'll fix 'em later.)

Shaping up nicely. :)

AndomgIlovesidecapessosomuch,<3

When looking at him again I noticed only one problem: The line separating the two parts of his pauldron could use some AA.

When looking at him again I noticed only one problem: The line separating the two parts of his pauldron could use some AA.

Ahhh, nuts! Completely forgot about that - will fix. Thanks for catching it. :) Apparently the frames need redone too, because they aren't aligning properly in FEditor's portrait inserter. If anyone sees where I messed up the sheeting, lemme know.

@Seph: I'm glad he looks as manly as intended! Still can't decide on his class... it's down to either mercenary/hero, wyvern rider, or maybe warrior, if I'm feeling axes. As for ideas, characters just pop into my head sometimes. I already have three more characters in line to be sprited, and even more planned out but not fully designed. Yurgh where am I going to get this time.

I'm seeing a particularly tanky Hero. Probably uses a Silver Blade, if they're inserted into FE7.

This is sooo happening. gee_wiz_emoticon.gif Tanky hero with blades it is. Thanks, guys!

And hrrf, I'm stupid, I totally ignored the "grid" when I did the frames for Baird and Von. Got 'em fixed up and insertable with the help of the Gimp + a grid overlay. Yay!

Now it's time to sprite the protagonist, since her concept is settled!

• 2 weeks later...

To me, the neck seems a little long on the WIP Lord, but the hair is gorgeous. I really love the way you can actually make hair feel wavy.

As for the map, maybe use the 3 tree tile around the edges of the woods, since trees tend to thin out, IRL, around forest edges.

168e76482719522776a61da59c57922a.png

You could also make this a little larger. It looks kinda weird, and, choke points that are one space wide are never really good for maps :E

Otherwise, my god @~@ You've gotten so good at everything in such a short time.

Thanks, Seph! I'll fix up her neck and poke at those trees. (Even when zoomed in in Mappy, it's still hard to figure out what in the heck is going on with those blasted tree tiles, haha.) I see what you mean about the choke point, too - I'll widen it and see how it looks.

River is ehhhh, you should bend it more, using more different tiles.

And what seph said about the 3 tree tiles. Moar tree variation = do want.

The 1 tiled choke is alright, it happens more, but this time it looks kinda bad. Two tiles should make it look and play good enough.

Beach edges could also use some work. I kinda advice against using those 

d0b7f2ca7421d8209f58b2199c9943d7.png

tiles, since they don't look too good.

Other than that, there are some jagged and weird parts of the pathways, but they're okay for the most part.

Pretty good map for a 2nd one, gj~

Thanks for the suggestions, Feaw! I'll see what I can do about the river, those beach edges, and the pathway. The river tiles all seemed to fit together very jaggily when I was playing around with them, but I'll try referencing the games' maps and some of yours as examples. :)

Oh, I didn't see your post above mine. I made a pic for the trees' configuration some time ago. it only covers the regular trees, not the thickets, as they're confusing as hell.

But the trees work like this;

Forestthing-1.png

I hope that's clear.

As for the thickets, I just use those two singular ones on the left, nothing else, and I just can't figure them out. But no need to.