Project dondon

dondon151

Instead of doing some generic, lengthy introduction for this hack, where it will inevitably revealed that this hack contains most of the elements that any legitimate hack should have, how about let's dive straight into some Q&A:

Releases

August 8, 2012: http://db.tt/asK15g8d

Complete up until chapter 4.

Note: turn off animations when halberdiers attack at range using lances; the ranged lance animation is bugged and will cause the game to hang.

Frequently asked questions

Disclaimer: said frequently asked questions may have never been asked

Q: Is this an Elibe hack?

A: Yes.

Q: But Elibe hacks suck!

A: Less bitch work for me.

Q: Will this hack have novel characters?

A: Kind of, but not really.

Q: How long will this hack be?

A: The first campaign is planned for 6 chapters.

Q: Will this hack be easy?

A: No. But it is really not that difficult.

Q: Will the player characters in this hack have nonzero growths?

A: No; who the hell do you think I am? You only have 6 chapters!

Q: Will this hack have numerous graphical and/or musical edits?

A: No; I don't have the time to waste on such frivolous things. New portraits and animations (hopefully) will be included as necessary. New maps are a given.

Q: Will this hack have a compelling plot that represents the average quality of 8th grade writing?

A: No, but at least the writing isn't an abomination, and a plot does exist.

Q: Will there be meticulous and thorough character development?

A: No; fuck that.

Q: Will there be an extremely strong character of the Jagen archetype that makes the game trivially easy?

A: No.

Q: But the game is too hard without--

A: Deal with it.

Q: So... why should I play this hack?

A: Because deep down, you think that easy hacks are too easy, and hard hacks are very poorly executed. Because everyone and their mother knows how to LTC any existing FE game. Because you crave a challenge, and you want to beat dondon at his own game.

Q: Is there only 1 way to complete any given chapter (this is an actual question)?

A: No. There is, however, an extremely limited subset of strategies that allow completion in the minimum number of turns (determined by yours truly), and I do like to force the player's hand, but this is most definitely false. Shame on you for thinking that.

Q: When can I expect a playable demo?

Expect a patch containing the first 4 chapters around August 8 (pending a few requests that need to come in - I'm looking at you, Cam).

Q: Do you... have any screenshots?

screenshots1.png

Q: Are Marth and Roy in this hack?

A: For the love of god, no...

Any further questions?

Edited by dondon151

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thing there's that disclaimer

This hack doesn't seem very interesting but I'll wait for screenshots or something before I judge it completely

good luck

edit: typo

Edited by Strawhat Luffy

People tend to be uninterested in a hack that doesn't have any preview (just due to laziness really) or that doesn't have a download because they don't believe a lot of people will put in the work to finish it. This is being played at FEE3 right?

Hype!

So will this hack feature any different mechanics from FE7 (e.g. halving all your stats when rescuing)?

Instead of doing some generic, lengthy introduction for this hack, where it will inevitably revealed that this hack contains most of the elements that any legitimate hack should have, how about let's dive straight into some Q&A:

Frequently asked questions

Disclaimer: said frequently asked questions may have never been asked

Q: Will this hack have a compelling plot that represents the average quality of 8th grade writing?

A: No, but at least the writing isn't an abomination, and a plot does exist.

Q: Will there be meticulous and thorough character development?

A: No; fuck that.

Q: So... why should I play this hack?

A: Because deep down, you think that easy hacks are too easy, and hard hacks are very poorly executed. Because everyone and their mother knows how to LTC any existing FE game. Because you crave a challenge, and you want to beat dondon at his own game.

Thank god finally someone who understands. Simply based on you knowing where your priorities lie, I'm anticipating a really solid game.

So will this hack feature any different mechanics from FE7 (e.g. halving all your stats when rescuing)?

No; that probably requires more work and effort than I know how to do and everyone is bothering Cam with their own stuff

I'm using the status swords patch because you will definitely need a Sleep Sword for chapter 4, for instance.

People tend to be uninterested in a hack that doesn't have any preview (just due to laziness really) or that doesn't have a download because they don't believe a lot of people will put in the work to finish it. This is being played at FEE3 right?

To answer your question:

Screenshots: 1 from each chapter

screenshots1.png

That's all you're getting, folks. Speculate as you wish.

And yes, this is getting an FEE3 showing. Assuming nothing goes wrong.

Edited by dondon151

I would be glad to play-test it for you, it looks quite interesting. I have tons of spare time and I need a break from working on my own FE7 hack (starting to burn me out, but I am thankfully too invested in it to quit).

I've playtested 2 and a half chapters (I haven't done chapter 3 in its fullness since everyone and their mother wants Lumi to work for them now and Shakespeare is a horrible distraction too so welp) and if you're up for a challenge, go for it.

And I will eventually get C3 final edition and C4 prototype tested I swear man

Just let me make a few mugs first

I think that's a beautiful Barth you have there.

Why thank you :D

Edited by Zhuge Liang

Alright, my two cents:

If you're the type that doesn't mind restarting because your current strategy was less than optimal, and you don't mind being wrong, then go for it. I'm glad it's hard, but I need to be at full brain capacity before I take it on again. . .which, due to RL things, hasn't been that often. I've come to the conclusion that I suck at FE.

If I can run this on a mac (Which I can't do with any other hack) I'll try this.

How so? I own a mac and hacks run fine. Do you need a .ups patcher? I can provide you one if that is the issue.

Edited by Zhuge Liang

(pending a few requests that need to come in - I'm looking at you, Cam).

in my defense my asm break is over today

unless you're not referring to poison damage

Nope, I'm staring straight at poison damage.

Also (unrelated):

gameoverqh.png

I found this pretty amusing. (Those death quotes are going to change later when I think of something more generic, but here's some laughs for playtesters I guess...)

Edited by dondon151

Because I like spoiling things little by little with frivolous images (and also hype):

These are your 4 starting player units in chapter 1:

statspart1u.png

Speculate away... (or complain about how Hector lost a lot of weight or why is Astor an assassin)

Edited by dondon151

Random mug shading complaints :P:

I'd like to know why Oswin lost so much defense, especially when compared to Hector. . .and why Astor's almost universally better than Matthew (*snips* aside).

I'd like to know why Oswin lost so much defense, especially when compared to Hector

Defense is a really powerful stat. It's one of the hardest stats to balance when creating units. I am not giving players any impenetrable walls, but Oswin is plenty bulky.

and why Astor's almost universally better than Matthew (*snips* aside).

The screen doesn't show weapon ranks, but Matthew can use Silver Swords while Astor cannot.