Fire Emblem: Binding Blade (U)

Arch

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh, a 50% tie on question three. I'm jotting down these results, this round of questions is over.

You've all made it to the second round. I've got a few more questions to ask.

1. Would you prefer the split promotion item GBA approach, or would you support switching to just one item: the Master Seal. Post-FE8, split promotion items have ceased to exist. The Master Seal option would be a fix for the promotion item dilemma, and also bring the update in-line with later titles.

Would prefer Master Seals, but I don't have a strong preference either way.

2. Do you support the addition of Rogues as a promotion for Thieves? In the original FE6, Thieves are unable to promote.

Some sort of promotion would be nice. Whether it should be Rogues or Assassins, I'm honestly not sure. If what other people are saying about FE6 not having much worth stealing late in the game is correct, then Assassins would probably be the better choice(unless you wanted to overhaul the late-game maps).

Or you could do them both

3. Do you also support the addition of Halberdiers? This would also possibly accompany the reclassing of a player character into the Soldier class. The leading candidate, in my mind, would be Treck. I'm interested to hear what everybody thinks of the reclassing idea, and whom everyone thinks would be a good candidate for the reclass. If anything, I could just keep Halberdiers enemy-only.

Halberdiers are always a good thing, so if you could import them and make them playable I'd be all for it. Not sure who to reclass, though Wendy seems like the best choice(to me, anyway).

On a related note(and sorry if you already answered this), but will you be leaving the existing classes as they were in FE6, or would you be "updating" them to match their abilities in FE8?(i.e. Sages w/ Light Magic, Druids w/ Anima, that sort of thing)

Also, I'm up to Chapter 7 now.

:D:

Edited by shinpichu

As far as FE6 goes, thats actually VERY valuable

Heres a question, how exactly can Zealot be changed to be better? He's already in the best class in the game

yes he is

current FE6 zealot just really wants a higher skl base

I think you're on your own here, sorry.

If anything, they stick out because not many people do runs of FE8 so they forget what they look like.

They're considerably smoother.

But yeah whatever. Was just a suggestion.

They're considerably smoother.

Except the Ranger sword animation.

I get what you're saying, and I do think that(for example) the Rogue and Great Knight animations are much more fluid(and subdued) than most of the animations seen in FE 6/7, but honestly it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

I want to make a small suggestion regarding Roy’s promoted sprite. It’s the same as his un-promoted one. However he does have an amazing animation whilst using the Sealed Sword.

5xge.gif

Could you make it so that his normal attacks always use this attack? (Maybe he could use his old sprite whilst wielding the rapier, as that pretty much looks like he’s using one). You’d have to cut out the fire-engulfing blade on the critical of course. This would make him a lot more fun to use as a Master Lord.

Also regarding his Sealed Sword, whenever he uses it in ranged combat, it always burns, making it impossible to predict a critical until it actually hits. It’s a minor issue I know, but I would like for his ranged critical to be more awesome-looking.

Edit; answering the questions (I also voted).

About master seals; I think that this will severely hurt the FE6 gameplay. Getting promotion items is fun, and having to plan your party around the limited availability of them is also what makes FE6 an enjoyable re-play experience, at least for me. If I could have a team full of just swordmasters and heroes, it’d feel silly. There’s a reason there’s a limited amount of each promotion item.

About halberdiers, if they are the upgraded version of soldiers, I support it fully. At least if you let Wendy become one, as she pretty much suits the class perfectly (you’d have to re-do some of her supports though, where she talks about her heavy armor).

About rogues, yes, yes and fucking yes. I don’t care how much out of place their animation looks, rogues are amazing and I love them. The thieves in FE6 are so cool, and being able to use them throughout the entire game would be amazing.

Edited by Mangs

Yeah rogues look pretty dorky. The slow, flashy animations along with different shading makes them stick out pretty badly.

I like having multiple kinds of promotion item; it's part of the experience, honestly.

I also think that thieves needn't promote. Having the fast exp curve and great growths mean they don't need to see much combat to do their role: steal stuff and not die to a single attack.

Halberdier is more interesting: I think FE6 definitely has room for some reclassing.

About master seals; I think that this will severely hurt the FE6 gameplay. Getting promotion items is fun, and having to plan your party around the limited availability of them is also what makes FE6 an enjoyable re-play experience, at least for me. If I could have a team full of just swordmasters and heroes, it’d feel silly. There’s a reason there’s a limited amount of each promotion item.

well said

@Rogues, I guess sure. It helps Thief long term usability a little

@Halberdier

7LFJLPh.png

Obviously we've got a pretty big change for Saul; it's the only reclassing I'll be doing, I swear.

x:

Otherwise I have no problem with enemy Halbs

x:

Obviously things changed in the span of a day :P:. When I said that, I hadn't even thought of including Halberdiers. If I do add them, though, I was hoping to have at least one playable. FE6 is also notorious for being "mount emblem," with all of those damn Paladins, so reclassing Treck gives us one less Cavalier in the game. Wendy is another good candidate, but I'd like to avoid that, as it breaks the armors' triangle attack.

I swear, this is the end of it. Monk, Halberdier, and Rogue are the only classes I'd even consider adding, and that's just so every class gets a promotion.

yes he is

current FE6 zealot just really wants a higher skl base

I gave him +2 to strength and skill, and a little boost to the growths. For Zealot, he won't become the greatest unit, obviously, but he should be a little more able to keep up with the party, hopefully.

Here are his new Level 20 stats: HP: 49, Str: 18, Skl: 21, Spd: 17, Luck: 7, Def: 20, Res: 13. Not even as good a unit as Perceval, but it still should give him a bit more consistent usability.

And no, I'm not reclassing him.

Some sort of promotion would be nice. Whether it should be Rogues or Assassins, I'm honestly not sure. If what other people are saying about FE6 not having much worth stealing late in the game is correct, then Assassins would probably be the better choice(unless you wanted to overhaul the late-game maps).

I was planning on adding some more useful steals later into the game. The steals probably dropped off because the thieves were outclassed by that point.

I'm somewhat against assassins because I just generally don't see the game's cast of thieves fitting into that class. Astor, maybe, but Chad and Cass are definite Rogues.

On a related note(and sorry if you already answered this), but will you be leaving the existing classes as they were in FE6, or would you be "updating" them to match their abilities in FE8?(i.e. Sages w/ Light Magic, Druids w/ Anima, that sort of thing)

This is an interesting question that I hadn't even considered. I was planning on leaving everything FE7/6 style, but I'm interested to hear what people prefer. Maybe a poll question for the next round.

FE8-style would have: Paladins (Lance/Sword), Sages(Anima/Light/Staves), Druids (Dark/Anima/Staves), Generals (Lance/Sword/Axe).

Edited by Stallinbald

Wendy is another good candidate, but I'd like to avoid that, as it breaks the armors' triangle attack.

I don't think anyone uses triangle attacks often. Wendy's growths really suit the soldier class too well to not implement.

Edited by thetiger39

FE8 Style only worked because it had monsters and the gimmick for Bishops was that they dealt extra damage to monsters. Since FE6 doesn't have them, what gimmick do Bishops get that Sages and Dark magic users can balance with? If you were gonna do the FE8 Style, I'd recommend Anima/Light for Sages, Dark/Anima for Druids, and Light/Staves for bishops. Also this would make bishops the go-to T2 promoted healer, aside from a Valkyrie.

If you're not gonna do that though, then stick with FE6/7 style and don't use FE8 style.

The part that I like most about FE8-style is Paladin (Lance/Sword) and Generals with (Lance/Axe/Sword). If either class should have weapon triangle control, it shouldn't be the one with the mount. We could also do some sort of hybrid; FE8 Paladins and Generals, with maybe Sage (Anima/Light) and Druid (Dark/Staves).

If anything, Druids should be the ones having Anima and Dark, while sages just get Anima and Staves/Light and Bishops get Light and Staves. Druids strike me as power units, they aren't pure hearted folks who heal their allies with love and care, they usually master the dark arts to achieve greater power. Therefore, in my opinion, they shouldn't have healing access.

However... this is a philosophy debate for another thread, and it's really just my opinion.

Edited by ManriKlok

This is an interesting question that I hadn't even considered. I was planning on leaving everything FE7/6 style, but I'm interested to hear what people prefer. Maybe a poll question for the next round.

FE8-style would have: Paladins (Lance/Sword), Sages(Anima/Light/Staves), Druids (Dark/Anima/Staves), Generals (Lance/Sword/Axe).

Yay I'm helping

Personally I would do all of those except the Paladin thing. There isn't really much point in taking away the Paladin's ability to use Axes, as in FE8 I'm pretty sure they lost that as a way to differentiate them from Great Knights. Unless you're planning on adding Great Knights too.

Except that Great Knights were just generals with 1 more movement and more weaknesses to slayer weapons as well as lower stat caps and a lack of Great Shield. Great Knights are actually quite unneeded, as Generals "wall" better and Paladins move further.

Obviously things changed in the span of a day :P:. When I said that, I hadn't even thought of including Halberdiers. If I do add them, though, I was hoping to have at least one playable. FE6 is also notorious for being "mount emblem," with all of those damn Paladins, so reclassing Treck gives us one less Cavalier in the game. Wendy is another good candidate, but I'd like to avoid that, as it breaks the armors' triangle attack.

Do all characters need to be in the same class to have a triangle attack?

@The Sage/Druid stuff:

IMO I don't really buy that Sages w/ Light magic would make Bishops irrelevant(or whatever the word is) since, unlike in FE8, they're not competing with sages as an alternate promotion. But who knows, maybe they would.

Also, I'd rather not have Sages with Anima/Light if it meant giving up their ability to use staves(same thing for Druids).

Except that Great Knights were just generals with 1 more movement and more weaknesses to slayer weapons as well as lower stat caps and a lack of Great Shield. Great Knights are actually quite unneeded, as Generals "wall" better and Paladins move further.

Was this directed at me? Because I wasn't really being all that serious about adding Great Knights.

Taking away axes is a nerf to Paladins, and also brings them in line with the rest of the series (Paladins are usually always Lance/Sword). In a game where Paladins are the "master race," I think shifting the weapon triangle control to Generals is a fair way to go.

As for the magic classes, I'd just want to see one of the classes without staves. Not every magic class has to have staves, ya know. The reason I went for Anima/Light Sages was because we have Anima/Staves already with Valkyries.

More importantly, it appears to me that we've reached a "slippery slope" moment. Things could easily get out of hand, and I'm trying not to go overboard with changes. My goal is still to produce a moderate update. I'm looking at adding three series-stapleish classes; Monk because no T1s used light magic, Rogue and Halberdier so that every class promotes. The only reason I'm looking at Saul and Treck for reclassing is because Saul was the third staff unit in six chapters, and Treck was the fourth (sixth if you count T2s) Cavalier by the seventh chapter. With Wendy, I'd like to preserve the armor triangle attack (the animation doesn't work with units of different classes). She's also the first female Knight (Sheema was a General), and that's something I'd like to keep. Saul and Treck are more than likely going to be the only reclasses I do make.

I'll also likely end up keeping the multiple promotion items. I'll just have to bite the bullet and figure out how to add a new promotion item. With the addition of Rogues, the Thief class needs a promotion item. Pirates and Brigands already fall under Hero Crest, and I didn't want to add yet another class to that. I guess I'll end up adding the Ocean Seal. I was thinking of just Master Sealing every class because that'd make my life a little easier, but I guess I'll just work it out.

Do all characters need to be in the same class to have a triangle attack?

No, they need the correct palette(IE if wendy was a soldier, the triangle attack would look fine when she attacks but if bors or barth initiate the attack, there would be a knight with the ugliest palette ever).

No, they need the correct palette(IE if wendy was a soldier, the triangle attack would look fine when she attacks but if bors or barth initiate the attack, there would be a knight with the ugliest palette ever).

Ah, okay. If the Armor Triangle Attack really is that important, then I guess reclassing Wendy isn't an option. Or you could just reclass all the Amror Knights. troll.png

Taking away axes is a nerf to Paladins, and also brings them in line with the rest of the series (Paladins are usually always Lance/Sword). In a game where Paladins are the "master race," I think shifting the weapon triangle control to Generals is a fair way to go.

As for the magic classes, I'd just want to see one of the classes without staves. Not every magic class has to have staves, ya know. The reason I went for Anima/Light Sages was because we have Anima/Staves already with Valkyries.

More importantly, it appears to me that we've reached a "slippery slope" moment. Things could easily get out of hand, and I'm trying not to go overboard with changes. My goal is still to produce a moderate update. I'm looking at adding three series-stapleish classes; Monk because no T1s used light magic, Rogue and Halberdier so that every class promotes. The only reason I'm looking at Saul and Treck for reclassing is because Saul was the third staff unit in six chapters, and Treck was the fourth (sixth if you count T2s) Cavalier by the seventh chapter. With Wendy, I'd like to preserve the armor triangle attack (the animation doesn't work with units of different classes). She's also the first female Knight (Sheema was a General), and that's something I'd like to keep. Saul and Treck are more than likely going to be the only reclasses I do make.

Agreed on the slippery slope thing. Honestly I would rather you just made the changes to the Paladin/General, but I could live with Sages without staves.

Ah, okay. If the Armor Triangle Attack really is that important, then I guess reclassing Wendy isn't an option. Or you could just reclass all the Amror Knights. troll.png

Then none of their triangle attack animations would be right, lol.