Most emotional FE game?

rexcalibur

So which Fire Emblem game gives you the most feels? For me it was Genealogy of the Holy War that made me feel the most. There were many moments that made me feel sad/shocked like Eltshan's death, Cuan and Ethlyn's deaths, Sigurd's death, Levin's conversations with his kids, what happened to Tiltyu, the horrors of child sacrifice, and Alvis's last words to Julia. I also loved how the music gave each chapter an atmosphere of its own. Especially in the final chapter where the music gives a determined, final feel to the game. The second generation had a feeling of hope that Celice and friends will do what the first generation failed to do. Honorable mentions go to Awakening and Sacred Stones for feels.

It has to be Sacred Stones. There is no other game in the franchise where the protagonists are so emotionally involved with the main plot.

Eprahim's route in particular is absolutely heart wrenching. His final exchange with Lyon is particular intense and gets worse the more often it is replayed because you internalize their relationship and their feelings more and more. Like, I don't think I truly realized until recently how self-insulting most of Lyon's dialogue is when he pretends to be the Demon King. Especially his constant accusations against Eprahim of faking sympathy and secretly looking down on him because clearly nobody would genuine care for someone as pathetic as Lyon.

And then there is PoR for the execution of Greil's death, which did nothing short of destroying the Greil Mercenaries and left everyone with deep emotional scars.

Mist's pain in particular is quite hard to swallow. Soren's backstory was also extremely hard tear inducing, as is Rolf's self awareness about all the lives he has ended.

And I don't even know where to start with Talrega. Maybe Jill or Shihiram? The regular grunts? Or maybe the citizens? Just about everything about it leaves quite an impact.

Edited by BrightBow

I agree on FE8. Lyon is my favorite villain in this series and one of my favorite villains ever for it. I cried upon beating that game.

Honorable mention goes to FE6/7 for Zephiel and to a lesser extent Nergal.

FE8 definitely. Then a tie between FE9 and FE13.

FE13 may get a lot of flack, but the children's backstories are pretty sad, and the way Brady, Laurent, Cynthia, and Nah are portrayed regarding them is quite brilliant.

I do genuinely think that FE11 and FE12 have many truly emotional moments both happy and sad. FE11's dialogue definitely helps. Stuff like the end of Prologue 4 in FE11 or Hardin's tragedy. And then so many of the endings are just cruel and depressing.

But overall though, FE4 is it for me. Both in terms of sad and heartwarming moments. On the sad side, we got the Chapter 5 of course but you've got less commonly referenced stuff like Gen 2 where all the holy bloodlines that first came into being to come together and fight evil now fighting each other in a mad lust for power and revenge on both the heroes' and villains' side. As for heartwarming moments, we've got Seliph's reunion with the ghosts of his parents (DAT MUSIC) and some other stuff too.

I do genuinely think that FE11 and FE12 have many truly emotional moments both happy and sad. FE11's dialogue definitely helps. Stuff like the end of Prologue 4 in FE11 or Hardin's tragedy. And then so many of the endings are just cruel and depressing.

But overall though, FE4 is it for me. Both in terms of sad and heartwarming moments. On the sad side, we got the Chapter 5 of course but you've got less commonly referenced stuff like Gen 2 where all the holy bloodlines that first came into being to come together and fight evil now fighting each other in a mad lust for power and revenge on both the heroes' and villains' side. As for heartwarming moments, we've got Seliph's reunion with the ghosts of his parents (DAT MUSIC) and some other stuff too.

Yeah, some parts of FE11 were pretty sad like Camus and Nyna's failed relationship, the ending where Caeda dies, and when Marth goes back to Altea but has to leave again. The Wolfguard and Hardin and Lorenz's sudden death were pretty gritting too.

Oh yeah, defeating Alvis with Celice and having him reunite with the ghosts of Sigurd and Deirdre was amazing!

If its the story, I think FE12 comes the closest. This is mostly because the ending is really sad, and all... okay, most of my favorite character have an unhappy ending. Also Jeigan died, and this is after seeing how awesome he is for the whole game.

FE6 is the definite answer for support convo, with FE13 children convo closing in. This is mostly because Gonzalez has by far the most well written support convo in the entire series in this area. Oh, and Illian Cavs is a bunch of bro

Edited by JSND

I liked the children's desperate scenario from Awakening, but I have to give it to Lyon being a tragic villain.

His villain character felt more down-to-earth or something like that. I dunno, something about loving someone you know you couldn't have can relate to some people, and showing how far people could go to try and change that.

FE6 has some great supports, but in other hand...

Wolt x Allen, Roy x Allen, Lance x Marcus, Sue x Wolt, Zeiss x Milady, Gonzales x Dazan...

God, this game is full of shitty supports convo.

Gonzo x Dayan got nothing on that one support where Gonzo did not even get to say anything in the end of the chain

But as a general rule, any support that is related to Ostia and Pherae sucks. ESPECIALLY Marcus triple generic support and boring Roy support. Kinda sad since Marcus supports with his students in FE7 is pretty enjoyable to read ;_:

FE2. Nah, I'm kidding, it has to be FE4 for me, although FE9 very much has its moments. I didn't really get into FE8 like the other games and FE13, although good, never really got me (apart from chapter 10)

FE4 for me. I think the story, while it may have a few facepalm inducing moments (Eldigan's death), it still is overall quite a good story with a decent supporting cast. (Leif, Finn, Quan, Ethlyn, Lewyn, etc)

Honorable mention to FE5 for the world building aspect and giving more depth to a few characters, and introducing some interesting characters as well.

Edited by Kamina

The end of "Star and Savior" in FE11 is still a gut-punch on par with anything in FE, IMO.

That said, overall there's something about the atmosphere of FE5 that makes it the most emotionally compelling to me. It's not so much the big set-piece moments that games like FE4 and FE13 do deliver on, but in the overall feeling of... waste, loss, mistakes.

I think FE5 deserves a honorable mention here.

While it's lacking in particular outstanding emotional moments, (not that there aren't any.) it does go out of it's way to humanize just about any side in the conflict.

There is tons of dialog between enemy officers. And does scenes don't resolve around mustache twirling evil behavior as seen in most Fire Emblem titles but involve actual casual conversation.

Chapter 11 is a good example. Largo, Olwen and Fred are just minding their own business until Leaf's rebels arrive to wreck havoc.

Paulus and Baldack in Tahra are an even better example since neither of them is recruitable.

Paulus, a general who griefs about the men who died under his command at the hands of Leaf. The game makes no big deal about his death or his subordinate. Just another two grunts of the empire.

This game simply doesn't have the "token good guy". The average antagonist in this game is a good person who just so happens to be on the opposite side.

So instead of good guys, it is jackasses like Kempf who actually end up standing out. And you really get the impression that those people have no friends among their organization.

Later games still tried to handle things this way but never quite pulled it off.

Like, Fe7's insistence that the Black Fang were well intentioned rings very hollow when said organization has a habit of executing their own men for failures.

Even Sacred Stones and PoR (the games who were my main picks for this topic) admittedly failed to do so and instead ended up with the "token good guy" while everyone else is a dick, just like all the other games.

PoR told us that Ike's invasion caused harm to the common people of Daein but what we actually saw, namely the mess in Talrega, was the responsibility of the Daein army.

And of course you can always tell in this game if someones is evil by the way they are drawn because evil people are always ugly. Compare the boss designs in FE5, like Paulus again.

Don't even get me started with Awakening and Mustafa. The only way for an antagonist in this game to come across as sympathetic is if he believes Emmeryn's suicide was the greatest thing ever and by being blackmailed into keeping up the fight by having his entire family taken hostage. Everyone else is "One for the bards!", to say it with the words of my beloved husbando Virion.

No, Thracia isn't like that. Thracia can have antagonists who never see the player's side as anything but villains and have them be sympathetic without the game beating you over the head of how noble but misguided they are. And it does so, simply by showing them as human beings and making their position understandable. ...and not making them butt ugly, I guess.

What all of this comes down to, is that you end up looking differently on the average solder and boss in this game. So whether you end up killing or capturing an enemy soldier, you always get an emotional feedback.

Thracia always makes you feel the weight of all the lives you take or spare. And not just because the game actually keeps track of those numbers. But yeah, looking at those numbers feels funny too.

Edited by BrightBow

The end of "Star and Savior" in FE11 is still a gut-punch on par with anything in FE, IMO.

this is so true

while FE4 has the obvious moment in chapter 5, there are other moments like Areone, Tiltyu and even someone like Alvis that are pretty tragic so it takes the cake for me

Edited by General Horace

I do genuinely think that FE11 and FE12 have many truly emotional moments both happy and sad. FE11's dialogue definitely helps.

LOL. FE11 had the worst dialogue of all Fire Emblems. Bland and boring.

FE4 for sure.

LOL. FE11 had the worst dialogue of all Fire Emblems. Bland and boring.

Only the way most of the characters were expressed was bland and boring.

Other than that, FE11 had some of the best writing in the series.