HG/SS Ingame Tier List

Don Draper

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because GJs walking the hype train up.

Umm, because being useful for 2 gyms after a shitton of walking and being mediocre/alright in 2 more is good?

I'd think that because we're not considering rarity or time required to get mon out of egg is part of it.....

yeah let's not require training to be counted against a pokemon either

the difference between hatching an egg and finding a rare wild pokemon is that rare wild pokemon still have like 10% encounter rates, whereas there's no easy way to get around hatching an egg (especially when you have no pokemon with flame body and no bike)

EDIT: By the way, how many reliable Thunder Wave users do you have that won't just get punked out by Miltank on entry?

Very funny... Because last I checked, Flaaffy's more durable than Slugma, in addition to not being weak against Rollout.

Edited by Metal King Slime

While I don't care for tier lists, I can vouch for Flaffy's usefulness against that Miltank. It's tanky enough to survive a good few of Miltank's attacks (although that Flinchax is still annoying) and it can definitely T-Wave the little bastard without having to rely on a shit-ton of luck like Flame Body.

In terms of movepool, Cyndaquil is actually worse off in this game than he was in the original because he functionally lost Thunderpunch. He makes up for it a little with Sprout Tower and a more difficult Bugsy battle.

Ya know, ok. So Slugma gets penalized for coming in an egg and needing to hatch immediately to be good. However, I have this question to give.

Why is Togepi in high in this case? What exactly does it do in comparison?

Togepi has better longtime use, extrasensory, grows to be a bit bulky, and fucks Mortys ghost/poisons with lolImmunity to ghost and extrasensory being an 80BP move.

That, and togekiss.

Slugma takes time to hatch, is good against 2 gyms, then is mediocre for the rest of the game.

We have several ways to deal with the first 2 gyms, Geodude, Totodile/Cyndaquil, stabFlyers for bugsy,

Its really a waste of time IMO.

Togepi has better longtime use, extrasensory, grows to be a bit bulky, and fucks Mortys ghost/poisons with lolImmunity to ghost and extrasensory being an 80BP move.

That, and togekiss.

Togekiss does not happen in a relative time far as I remember, since I don't remember when you get a Shiny Stone. But really, Extrasensory and dealing with Morty? I could catch a fresh Stantler with Astonish and wreck through that gym too with no effort. Past him, what does Togepi do other than be bulky and still have awful offense with it's meh movepool and stats?

Slugma takes time to hatch, is good against 2 gyms, then is mediocre for the rest of the game.

We have several ways to deal with the first 2 gyms, Geodude, Totodile/Cyndaquil, stabFlyers for bugsy,

Its really a waste of time IMO.

Slugma is still a choice however, and I'd argue they're bigger problems than Morty is, since he forgot to have coverage on his mons. As for mediocre for the rest of the game, I've yet to see that since I'm still testing. I'll get back when I see what it does to Jasmine. There's also Brice. In Kanto though I expect it to be meh.

Although It is a bit of a pain to evolve Togepi into Togetic (although it's a lot easier than in XD) you can get Shiny Stones relatively easily. In fact, you can get them as early as the National Park in the form of the first prize for the Bug-Catching Contest and they're offered as a prize in the Pokéathlon Dome on every day but Tuesday and Friday. Alternately you can get them as a gift from Bird Keeper Joh on Route 14 or get another at the National Park by way of Rock Climb.

Edited by Kon

Although It is a bit of a pain to evolve Togepi into Togetic (although it's a lot easier than in XD) you can get Shiny Stones relatively easily. In fact, you can get them as early as the National Park in the form of the first prize for the Bug-Catching Contest and they're offered as a prize in the Pokéathlon Dome on every day but Tuesday and Friday. Alternately you can get them as a gift from Bird Keeper Joh on Route 14 or get another at the National Park by way of Rock Climb.

You have to wait until you get the National Dex for either the Bug Catching Contest or the Pokeathlon Shiny Stone, I'm afraid. Same issue with Rock Climb which you get postgame.

I think Togepi fares poorly in terms of efficiency, starting low-levelled (it has to hatch, too), and evolving late since increasing its happiness takes quite a bit of time. It does get access to Fire Blast and Shadow Ball TMs which make Togetic decent... when it evolves. Which may not happen until after you've already beaten Morty.

I would like to make an addendum, as Slugma does not in fact have asmine due to really shitty Sp Def, it gets blown up by Thunderbolt.

And her Steelix can just throw a rock at you. And as for Pryce, the one Pokemon it would have an advantage over... just blows it up with Mud Bomb (everything else resists due to Thick Fat).

Edited by Metal King Slime

What Espinosa said.

I would like to make an addendum, as Slugma does not in fact have asmine due to really shitty Sp Def, it gets blown up by Thunderbolt.

Yeah, all it has before that really late evolution is a decent special attack stat (after evolving, it also gets kinda sturdy and starts resisting some common moves). It's slow and has a poor durability so it'll die from being sneezed at. Definitely a poor Pokemon for every gym after Bugsy, and I question how well it does in normal battles too. You probably need some items and switching to keep it alive and kicking. What can it fight that it outspeeds with no problem, Spinaraks? Pretty bad.

And her Steelix can just throw a rock at you. And as for Pryce, the one Pokemon it would have an advantage over... just blows it up with Mud Bomb (everything else resists due to Thick Fat).

The Rock Throw with Jasmine is probably the last problem it has. It could probably get an Ember, maybe two off on it. Steelix isn't exactly an offense monster, and it doesn't have STAB. I'd rather deal with that than Thunderbolt.

Yeah, all it has before that really late evolution is a decent special attack stat (after evolving, it also gets kinda sturdy and starts resisting some common moves). It's slow and has a poor durability so it'll die from being sneezed at. Definitely a poor Pokemon for every gym after Bugsy, and I question how well it does in normal battles too. You probably need some items and switching to keep it alive and kicking. What can it fight that it outspeeds with no problem, Spinaraks? Pretty bad.

I find the fact that it has to live with Ember until it gets Flamethrower (quite late) to be more of a problem rather than speed or defenses, cause nothing is offensively threatening until you hit the ocean off Olivine. It's not like in gen 3 where you catch it and are thrust immediately into Nature Power Earthquakes and Geodudes+Numels with Magnitude. Normal trainers in this game are for the most part rather scrubtacular.

I can say pretty safely though that it has a drop off around the Olivine area. Then again, I might have just ended up with the caught too many mons too soon issue. Makes me realize how small Johto actually is.

The Rock Throw with Jasmine is probably the last problem it has. It could probably get an Ember, maybe two off on it. Steelix isn't exactly an offense monster, and it doesn't have STAB. I'd rather deal with that than Thunderbolt.

Bases wise, Steelix has only 10 less atk than Magnemite has sp. atk. And Steelix is bound to be at least a few levels above you.

A few? My team wasn't even above 30 when I fought Jasmine, but she's not really hard to be honest. Those thunderbolting Magnemite were a big surprise though.

Okay, maybe "a few" was an understatement. Ragardless, her Steelix (level 35) will certainly have a level advantage.

• 5 weeks later...

Uh i'm a bit late to the topic, but I have a question. Why is exeggcute in mid?

I'm training one right now and he is a little disapointing. His offence sucks untill he reaches level 27. Barrage and bullet seed are unreliable and outrage makes him uncontrollable, has low power and wakes people up.

To me it looks like he's outclassed supportwise by hoothoot/noctowl. Both of them have hypnosis and reflect, but sleep isn't very good when you need to turn to outrage for reliable offence. Exeggcute does get a few cool things like leech seed and the powder moves, but aren't there better users then him?

Not only that, but grass faces a type disadvantage in a lot of gyms and the fighting gym is probably already over when Exeggcute learns confusion.

So why is exeggcute higher then Noctowl? Do you guys use the leaf stone right away on him or is there something i'm missing about exeggcute?

Pitching in on Togepi: It's usefulness as a Togetic is quite limited, as it's offense isn't what I'd call great. And having to wait until postgame to evolve again isn't optimal, either. Although, once it evolves, it's got some good stats to use. It's probably not high tier material, though.

Pitching in on Togepi: It's usefulness as a Togetic is quite limited, as it's offense isn't what I'd call great. And having to wait until postgame to evolve again isn't optimal, either. Although, once it evolves, it's got some good stats to use. It's probably not high tier material, though.

As much as I like Togepi, I have to agree with this.